caribou77 19-Nov-15
midwest 29-Nov-15
bbates 30-Nov-15
Beendare 30-Nov-15
Amoebus 01-Dec-15
Kurt 01-Dec-15
Mark Watkins 02-Dec-15
18-Nov-15
I'm looking for a Mid Layer piece to use on the days when I need extra warmth and trying to decide between the Kenai Jacket and the Super Down. In the advertisement they highlight the Kenai is good for strenuous activity. I don't plan on doing much activity with this jacket. Will be used on stand or those times when I stop to glass and need to keep the chill off me.

18-Nov-15
I had the old kenai jacket and now own the super down hooded jacket. The latter is considerably warmer than the former. On stand it's an easy choice , the super down. Although it is not the quietest and definitely better as a layering piece. Hope this helps. D

18-Nov-15
if you want the super down in concept you can fine very comparable units at a significant reduced price on line at places such as eastern mountain sports. a light puffy does not require the expense of KUIU and camo is irrelevant as it is covered anyway

18-Nov-15
Bou, Kuiu jackets are actually priced right in line with any other good brand that has weather-resistant insulation, Patagonia, North Face, Marmot, Eddie Bauer, etc...might as well get camo because it looks way cooler than fluorescent orange or blue!

18-Nov-15
I got a patagonia nano-puff from Backcountry.com, on sale for like 60 bucks or so, its lime green though :-)

18-Nov-15
I use my super down for my winter coat in MN. Also use it for a layer bowhunting late season. I got the one with the hood. Very nice fit and really light.

18-Nov-15
Check out down tech jackets at Eastern Mountain sports they are half the price of the kuiu

19-Nov-15
Eddie Bauer is a good spot to watch for deals on down puffy coats. Recently got a 700fill, non treated down, for 75$.

19-Nov-15
At the sale price I think the Kuiu is about in line with other top mountaineering brands. I have a RAB puffy jacket I bought on sale from Backcountry for around $130.00. As far as camo midlayer I do realize it's a waste but you never know I may get on a celebrity hunting program and might need one.

19-Nov-15
I have the Kenai and it is fairly warm. I do, however, wish I had gotten the Super Down.

19-Nov-15
There's an elevation down jacket with 700fill water repellent down , (by core4element) on sale now on camofire. Its $112 w/$1 shipping.

19-Nov-15
Sale price for KUIU..... now that's funny

19-Nov-15
Mid 5252- I think he's referring to the 30% off sale KUIU is having now.

19-Nov-15
Hooded super down will be around $175 when the sale starts today.

19-Nov-15
Yep MD5252. 30% sale started today 8AM PST. My order for the Guide Jacket (Brown) and Superdown Vest is in. Sale is while supplies last which may not be long.

Since I recently bought a RAB puffy I decided to go with a Vest. Decided to scape the idea on the Kenai after talking with other owners. Most like to wear it as an outer layer and that was not was I was looking for. I have my Sitka 90% and now my Kuiu Guide for that application.

19-Nov-15
"Check out down tech jackets at Eastern Mountain sports they are half the price of the kuiu"

The cheapest EM one is $189, Kuiu Super Down is $229, Kenai is $179...and still in stock at sale prices for even less...

19-Nov-15
That 189 is on sale now for 132 online at EMS.

19-Nov-15
I really like the EMS down tech I just got for the $132ish

19-Nov-15
The EMS down tech says it absorbs 30% less water than regular down. Doesnt seem like much less. Not sure about the Kuiu as they do not say, just list it as virtually waterproof.

29-Nov-15
The EMS are currently on sale for half price. No black left. Heck of a deal for $94.75!

30-Nov-15
Tracker to your comments

I don't plan on doing much activity with this jacket. Will be used on stand or those times when I stop to glass and need to keep the chill off me.

Based on that I would recommend the SuperDown

I own both the SD and just picked up a Kenai during the sale

SD super light packable warm loud blocks wind

Kenai light quiet breathable

owning both I think I will get more use out of the Kenai, its just super soft quiet and comfy

30-Nov-15
I really like the primaloft stuff for hunts. I've gotten pretty wet in down and syn and the syn does perform better.

The main thing I like in a syn jacket is the breathability. Some of the down jackets have a treated shell and don't breath well. It really depends on what you want out of your jacket. I like mine as a light mid layer or camp jacket.

If you want warmth but expose it to moisture a lot- treated outer is probably the ticket. I think the Kuiu down jacket is purposely NOT treated...so it will breathe.

01-Dec-15
I hit the clearance racks at REI and usually save a bunch over the hunting specific clothing, but make sure you are comparing apples to apples. The fill rating will make a big difference on price and warmth in a coat. I believe the coatings on down are relatively new, so I don't know if there are long-term effectiveness studies on the product - the idea sounds good, but so does a lot of marketing.

01-Dec-15
You get wet from sweat if you are exerting in a Superdown hooded jacket. I did a test when I I bought one versus my Spindrift. Shoveling snow or cross country skiing was fine in the Spindrift, and i got wet from sweat in the Superdown. That said, the Superdown jacket is my sheep hunting jacket of choice for a glassing, camp use and in the sleeping bag on a cold night. (Just don't hike with it). I wear it on occasion on the whitetail stand too. It is a very light and comfortable piece, especially given it will stuff into one of it's pockets that is smaller than a softball.

02-Dec-15
Kurt nailed it...

Just bought the Kenai...should be here in a "KUIU week."

Mark

• Sitka Gear