vjherrera 30-Dec-15
buzz mc 30-Dec-15
Tracker12 30-Dec-15
trkyslr 30-Dec-15
EJG 31-Dec-15
APauls 31-Dec-15
BULELK1 31-Dec-15
19-Nov-15
Now that we have all had the chance to use the new gear we invested in, what pieces of gear are you most satisfied with?

For me, I have three, in no particular order. 1. My Kryptek Cadog jacket. Love that thing! 2. The newly designed duplex frame from Kifaru. Super amazingly comfortable. Way better than the old frames. 3. My Enlightened Equipment quilt. Don't foresee going back to a sleeping bag anytime soon.

How about you?

19-Nov-15
My ozonics machine is the cat's meow. not cheap mind you, but it is a great unit. you can just forget the wind and hunt.

19-Nov-15
snellpastor,

I have read a lot about these quilts. Can you expand on them? I have never seen one and don't know how they function or would be better but I am intrigued.

19-Nov-15
These new Meindl boots are pretty sweet that I just got!

19-Nov-15
Gerbing heated vest, Sitka stratus line & Easton FMJ arrows

19-Nov-15
Kifaru Doobie, is what I was most impressed with

19-Nov-15
Picked up a set of REI carbon trekking poles. Those things were great. Really help you power up the hills and helps with stability going down.

Bearpaw Wildernees designs luna 6-great for two or three.

Lite outdoors 18" cylinder stove. Really too warm for a stove but we used it anyway and it about roasted us out of the tent.

Petzl TakTikka RGB headlamp.

My little $5 chinese Pocket Rocket stove clone. Worked great. No issues at all. That said, I have a bunch of REI points so may pick up a different stove for next year.

19-Nov-15
My top 3 would be:

1. New Swarovski spotting scope.

2. New jetboil... that thing is awesome.

3. Heads up cow elk decoy is kinda fun to toy around with.

19-Nov-15
1. Kuiu Bino Harness 2. Vortex tripod with bino adapter

19-Nov-15
Jetboil stove... I only boil water and this thing was great!

19-Nov-15
Swarovski 12X50 El...AWESOME!

Outdoorsmans Tripod/head and Bino Adapter

Kuiu Ultra 1800

19-Nov-15
Enlightened Equipment Quilt, Exped Downmat 7, and Tarp Tent Cloudburst 3. All new this year and all did much better than my old setup.

19-Nov-15
Those EE Quilts look sweet. Which ones are you guys using?

19-Nov-15

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Bunsaver. Absolutely love the thing. You don't even know you're carrying it around. Great for any hunt where you're going to sit down for a bit, like when cold calling, ambushing, glassing, etc. I use it now on elk, turkey, even tree stand hunts. Won't spot and stalk without it (although I leave it with my pack when stalking).

My dad has used one for a long time and I always gave him crap about his "butt pad." He bought me one and I'm sold.

19-Nov-15
S4Gear lockdown bino harness... No more bouncing binoculars, I can crawl with it, get them out quickly and it automatically keeps the snow/dirt/fir needles from getting the lenses dirty.

Also, my Badlands Clutch backpack. It is a great day pack for me, as I am often walking several miles of backcountry a day. It is not my go-to for really heavy loads, as I have a Kifaru long hunter for that, but the Clutch keeps everything organized and makes it easy to strap my coat and some rain gear on, just in case...

19-Nov-15

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Sis gave me a new knife when I went up to visit her over Elk Season in Montana. I love it! I did not get use it Elk season but worked real well on my Muley. I hope this next week as I head back to Columbus I get to use it on an Elk.

19-Nov-15

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo

19-Nov-15
My Sitka Gear! :)

>>>>-------->

19-Nov-15
Kifaru Late Season backpack. Great pack when a large daypack is needed & with a few pockets can handle enough gear for a few days. Been using it backpacking and camping this summer & fall. It is comfortable and can handle more weight than I care to carry.

19-Nov-15
Hawke, Bow/Pack, hanging spikes. Hard to imagine upgrading a tree spike but they are excellent.

All the Sitka Gear

19-Nov-15
regarding the questions about the Enlightened Equipment quilts. I use a 10 degree Revelation quilt extra wide. I was worried about getting drafts. Not a bit. The only thing I would change for me is getting the 0 degree one instead of the 10 degree one. I used my 10 degree from 30 on up to 45 degree nights and was completely comfy. They say EE's temperature ratings are spot on, but I sleep cold and I don't think I would be comfy all the way down to 10 degrees in my quilt.

Basically, the Revelation has a foot box if you want it, but can unbutton to form a more traditional quilt too. It comes with elastic bands that clip to the quilt that go under your air pad and it pretty much doesn't move at all as you toss and turn. The foot box is much bigger than one on a mummy bag, without the hassle of feeling like you are in a cacoon ... which I find highly uncomfortable. Feels basically like a quilt on the bed ... but super light. Worth the money for me.

19-Nov-15
Love my EXO Mountain 3500 pack and the heads up decoy is a game changer

19-Nov-15
The new Cabelas primaloft puffy and hybrid puffy I field tested were both great, alone or in combination depending on the temps.

19-Nov-15
1) Kifaru Duplex frame

2) Delorme InReach SE

3) Yamaha Grizzly 700

19-Nov-15
Exo Mountain Gear 5500 and Kuiu Attack pants

20-Nov-15
Everything we bought, Kifaru packs and shelter, jetboil, big Agnes bags and pads, Katadyn Hiker Pro water purifier, it all worked so well! Me and the wife are in our early fifties, to be able to pack what we needed in and be comfortable, buying the good stuff paid off. We didn't go in real far but we could have if we needed too. Can't wait till next year! Bought a bivy bag and tarp after elk season was over for scouting trips next summer, can't wait to try them too!

20-Nov-15
Kifaru Mountain Warrior. Wore it for 25 days straight and did close to 400 miles with it on. Also shot my bull wearing it.

20-Nov-15
X2 as will ^^^^^^ great pack!

20-Nov-15
Oh, my buddy brought up a tipi and Kifaru stove for our 4th season hunt, and while it wasn't my gear or new gear, it was the first time I'd used one of those. That setup was killer!

20-Nov-15
Got the Sitka stratus gear for mid season whitetails, then will break out the fanatic gear for late season. Very nice clothing!

20-Nov-15
Kuiu attack pants. Unreal. For those who haven't climbed mountains w/ a 4 way stretch pant, you don't know what your missing. They are also very water resistant, breathable and dry easily.

20-Nov-15
Range Snap - It solved my need for quick access to my range finder while elk hunting. I found it so convenient and unobtrusive that I've used it in the treestand for whitetails this year, too. Very effective yet inexpensive product.

20-Nov-15
My Kuiu gear was really impressive, comfortable fit, warm and durable. My new Mystery Ranch Metcalf sure feels great. I haven't packed an animal with it yet but I wore it for over a week with all my gear in it and I could already tell its an awesome pack.

20-Nov-15
EXO Pack 3500 for sure! It's my second one & these packs can haul the weight better than any I've used to date plus they only weigh 4-lb 14-oz. You don't even know you're wearing it!

ElkNut1

20-Nov-15
KUIU gaiters. Dry feet are priceless!

20-Nov-15
Zen Ray ed2 10x 42 and kuiu bino set up

20-Nov-15
I have 2, one is a pair of 10x50 Steiner binoculars and the second was a Christmas gift from my daughters and that is a Heater Body Suit in Lost Camo. I have only had the chance to use it twice but it is awesome. It allows me to wear minimum clothes to the stand and than put it on. I sat one day last week with wind chills around 15 degrees and all I had on was my long underwear and a light pair of sweat pants and sweat shirt. Shawn

20-Nov-15
Jaq.......which cabelas puffy did you have? I have a primaloft vest that is super warm....wanted to add a jacket too!

21-Nov-15
Ditto otcWill on the Kifaru Mountain Warrior. Bought that pack to haul meat, but wound up hunting with it every day in daypack mode too.

21-Nov-15
My tatonka lastenkraxe pack kicked arse, sold my 60 pound rpm 360 and bought a 70 pounder, glad I did, this bow was way to smooth and easy drawing to shoot 60. The extra weight came in handy on my elk, frontal shot, bh poking out the hind quarter, and a 70 yard shot on my moose taking out ribs and still getting a passthrough! Post season got rid of my vortex rangefinder and purchased a leupold 1200i, its crazy how much better it is than the vortex! Vortex should have cost me the moose, as I totally missed the first shot, after giving me the wrong range!

21-Nov-15
Liberty "Classic" longbow shoots like a dream. Stone Glacier pack is so well made and designed AND light weight.

21-Nov-15
My Easton xx75's, 40yrs of perfect arrow flight. My Umarex Octane 117 , and my woodsman broadheads.

21-Nov-15
MallardSX2 x10 I got a set of Meindl Denalis and they are hands down the most comfortable boots I've ever put on! Also really liking my new Leupold rangefinder.

21-Nov-15
The Delorme 2 way satellite communicator was my best purchase this season,second was a Kuiu Icon pro 3200.

21-Nov-15
Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot...2 pounds 12 oz, fairly packable. Fits great inside my BA Fly Creek UL2.

I actually got some decent sleep this Season, thanks to John Haeberle, MD for the recommendation.

Best of Luck, Jeff

21-Nov-15
Delorme InReach- It was nice to send a message to my family every night that everything was fine.

Although I did not have them for elk hunting, I picked up a pair of PRNA Zion pants. They are not camo. They are the most comfortable pants I have ever worn. Wearing them for WT stand hunting.

21-Nov-15
Kifaru spike camp bag for stand hunting in the whitetail woods. Big enough for all my gear plus will haul a deer too. I've packed out 3 does with it this year for fun. Great day bag

21-Nov-15
KUIU chinook top and bottoms. Just plain awesome

21-Nov-15
Horn-Hunter-Binocular-Case - absolutely the best purchase I've made in years.

22-Nov-15
Oh, another one...OnxMap chip for hunting antelope in Wyoming, it was a HUGE help in finding accessible areas!

23-Nov-15
First Lite Corrugate Guide pant and the Uncompahgre Puffy. Good quality gear.

23-Nov-15
El 12x50

Peleton 200 hoodie

Kifaru UL Pack

23-Nov-15
IWOM Range snap Havalon

23-Nov-15
IWOM Range snap Havalon

24-Nov-15
The new Kuiu gear. Kuiu is by far the best made product out here in the technical hunting clothing industry. IMHO

24-Nov-15

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
My Hay Bale Blind

24-Nov-15
Finally dropped some coin on Swarovski glass... Bought new Swaro EL 8x32's last month...

Shhhhhh.... momma don't know yet and I'll be in the doghouse if/when she finds out...8^)

28-Nov-15
My Delorme Inreach Explorer. Spent 2 1/2 weeks is caribou camp. Got to share the hunt with my family and friends that couldnt be there. Plus it has cool features and just flat out worked.

28-Nov-15
My Whippenstick Phoenix recurve...sweetest shooter I've EVER had...hands down. And, single bevel Grizzly broadheads.

28-Nov-15
KUIU hunting clothes. Niiiiicccee!

28-Nov-15
Swaro 12x50's

25-Dec-15
Viper Tricks

25-Dec-15
8" Bee Stinger I got today for Christmas. Much better than the 4" rubber stabilizer that came on the bow.

Significantly less hand shock, easier to hold on target, and so far my groups have shrunk by close to half.

26-Dec-15
Garmin GPS Watch

TriTronics night razor light (garmin doesn't make them anymore).

New Buck Knife...

26-Dec-15
My HTR NoCam and my Meindl perfekt light hikers are my two favorite pieces of new gear this year.

26-Dec-15
toss up between palmer extreme cut broadheads, and asbell wool pullover. both exceeded expectations.

26-Dec-15
I have several. But, I went through a gear transition. Getting the weight and fit down better. I have a lot of gear but, most was better suited for eastern stand hunting. I decided to broadened that and purchased quite a bit in the last few months better suited to western and back country hunts. Here is my favorite's

My most favorite would have to be the Browning Prima-loft Puffy I found on clearance for $39.99. I love this thing. Super warm. Super compact. Perfect as it did away with a heavy mid weight layer and served as a great outer layer when the temps are in the 20's. It makes me giddy when I think of how cheap it was too.

Next in line is the Cablea's Active Merino jacket. Very light and thin. Like a quiet wind breaker almost. Very warm. AWESOME is the word I use to describe it. It weren't cheap though.

Next would be the ECWCS Gen III Goretex hard shell. Packs down to nothing. Weighs nearly nothing. Just great. When wet it gets quiet enough to bow hunt too. I really like it. While not cheap, it was very inexpensive when considering the price or a goretex rain suit you can pack up to the size of a grape fruit.

Another would be the ECWCS soft shell. Weighs something like 18 ounces. Quiet enough to bowhunt. All but wind proof and highly water resistant. Very breathable. It regulates body temps well and has all the makings of good a soft shell jacket. Pit zips, etc...It replaces a heavy fleece wind shear I was using as a outer layer in dry weather. Not expensive either.

Next would be a Beretta Goretex Soft shell. Light weight for what it is. Super quiet. Great for whitetail stand hunting or sneaking around in the brush trying to arrow a deer. NOT cheap either but, a lifetime investment.

My prima-loft ECWCS underwear rocks. Cheap too. I went back to synthetics as a base layer after using wool for several years. It really hammered home how much better it suits me due to weight and how quick it dries. it insulates awesome too.

God Bless men.

28-Dec-15
My list in order of awesomeness:

1. Lowa Renegades 2. Kuiu Yukon Gaiters 3. Kuiu Teton softshell (Love this jacket, especially for the money)

28-Dec-15
That would be these Zeiss Vitory HD 8X45 RF Binos. We heard a bugle from a high point and started to glass in the general direction. I spotted the bull form 800-1000 yards and directed the others asto where to view him. A bit more than I need for most archery hunting. I'm sure they will shine on a future rifle/muzzy hunt.

28-Dec-15
That would be these Zeiss Vitory HD 8X45 RF Binos. We heard a bugle from a high point and started to glass in the general direction. I spotted the bull form 800-1000 yards and directed the others asto where to view him. A bit more than I need for most archery hunting. I'm sure they will shine on a future rifle/muzzy hunt. LaGriz

28-Dec-15

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
That would be these Zeiss Vitory HD 8X45 RF Binos. We heard a bugle from a high point and started to glass in the general direction. I spotted the bull form 800-1000 yards and directed the others as to where to view him. A bit more than I need for most archery hunting. I'm sure they will shine on a future rifle/muzzy hunt. LaGriz

28-Dec-15
Sorry about the tripple post!

28-Dec-15
New Sitka elevated II fanatic hoody.

28-Dec-15
Simply the best piece of gear I acquired in 2015.

photo a_zps2rvu4pa2.jpg

28-Dec-15
My Sitka Down Pour suit. Fantastic.

28-Dec-15
Caught them in concert last fall, Bob.....great show!

29-Dec-15
Seek Outside Cimarron floorless tent, Ti Goat large WiFi stove, Delorme InReach communicator

Used these on my late October/early November Nevada elk hunt and my expectations were exceeded. We were very comfortable waiting out the weather above 10k with snow, wind, and 20 deg. I'm totally sold on the floorless/stove concept! The InReach is awesome as well.

29-Dec-15
Got my bean boots resoled for the 3rd time in time for deer season. That was it, along with another Asbell wool pullover in a larger size for layering.

29-Dec-15
I have a couple. My first would be my new HBS Heater Body Suit. Although I did not get to use it a lot, the 3 times I did I would not of been able to stay in the woods for more than a couple hours without it I used it in Kansas in a blow down when the wind was blowing 60mph and wind chills were around 10 degrees. I had on a sweat suit and my HBS. that was it. My second one would have to be my new Mathews ZXT, it was a leftover bow from 2013 but I got it for a great price and I killed 2 P&Y bucks with it and also another nice 3.5 year old. Shawn

30-Dec-15
Delorme inReach and Sitka Incinerator outfit!

30-Dec-15
My new to me Cascade Mountain Longbow by Fred Anderson and a new Powderhorn Stalker side quiver from Art Vincent at Cedar Ridge Leather works. Both beautiful works of art and very functional. The only two new items I had this season.

30-Dec-15
I have one more but I admit they are not new. I have a cabelas union suit, a heavy weight addition and it is by far the warmest piece of clothing I own. They were made when the first wicking clothing came out over 23 years ago. Awesome! Shawn

30-Dec-15
Deerman, I have worn union suits for several years. I like the llbean ones with wool lined with cotton and if it is really cold, all wool. Got tired of pulling up long johns when hunting with bibs. They are warm and comfortable. No elastic around your waist to wear out.

30-Dec-15

vjherrera's embedded Photo
vjherrera's embedded Photo
not new, but new to me..wife surprised me with a Mathews Reezen 6.5. Definitely an upgrade from my bear whitetail II

30-Dec-15
I can't hardly believe it, but I can't think of a single thing that I bought this past year. So, I guess my top items would be hunting licenses in TN, OH, AL, and AZ.

30-Dec-15
Kuiu Superdown vest Havalon Titan

30-Dec-15
Wapititbob, I like your music choice as well.

My two fav new items would be my kifaru mw pack (which got a Helluva workout this last fall) and my scarpa charmoz gtx boots. First set of 3/4 shank mountaineering boots I've owned. Took me about 1.5 months to break them in and get use to the stiff feel but now love them ... Best mtn boot I've worn and im a boot junkie.

31-Dec-15
Delorme Inreach was awesome, great keeping in touch with the wife and kids since i was away solo for two weeks, especially right after i shot my elk. My Dad seemed pretty pumped getting the texts and maps from me as well

Lowa Renegades, Stone Glacier Pack, Havalon knife all performed great for me, couldn't have been happier.

Night Ize CamJam cord Tighteners work great when quartering, hanging game bags, or just around camp and weigh nothing

Kuiu Bino Harness was pretty solid too

31-Dec-15
Darn Tough Socks!!! Worth their weight in gold for me. My big purchase this year was some used Swaro 10x42EL's after I sold my canoes. Expectations were very high though. I am happy with them.

31-Dec-15
I am not so sure my Mrs would go with the new gear logic-----

BUT ~~

She got back from her 13 month deployment in Afghanistan/mid-October and it was way NICE to have kinda like New Gear here!! haha

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear