does public land need better management?
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
willliamtell 24-Nov-15
Fuzzy 24-Nov-15
Ole Coyote 24-Nov-15
Franzen 24-Nov-15
IdyllwildArcher 24-Nov-15
Charlie Rehor 24-Nov-15
ansci 24-Nov-15
extrem predator 24-Nov-15
trkytrack 24-Nov-15
deerman406 24-Nov-15
Amoebus 24-Nov-15
4blade 25-Nov-15
brettpsu 25-Nov-15
smokey 25-Nov-15
willliamtell 30-Nov-15
killinstuff 30-Nov-15
wildwilderness 30-Nov-15
WV Mountaineer 30-Nov-15
WV Mountaineer 30-Nov-15
Ollie 01-Dec-15
bowriter 01-Dec-15
Ziek 01-Dec-15
willliamtell 01-Dec-15
12yards 01-Dec-15
Stoney 01-Dec-15
24-Nov-15
Why isn't there more effort to create/manage really high quality elk habitat on public land? Just got back from a backup hunt in MT. Had a great time, saw elk 3 days out of 5, but it occurred to me after a while that relative to the private land I was skirting around, the public land was in waay rougher shape and not nearly as attractive to elk as the private. Most of the herds were on private, and you could tell they preferred those fields, etc. Sure the 'can't touch it' also drew them to private, but there wasn't that much pressure. The vittles are just generally better on private.

Why can't there be a public/private partnership to create and manage really high quality habitat on certain public lands? The obvious answer is little money and staff resources, but REMF and other right-minded individuals and groups would be happy to put in food plots. It's one thing to have most of the riparian valley bottomlands private. Why can't there be a real effort to upgrade habitat in certain areas, maybe even irrigate to get the feed quality comparable to everyone's private? I bet some farmers and ranchers would be happy if the elk weren't always robbing their haystacks.

24-Nov-15
Most Federal Lands are designated as "multi-use".

That means that hunting (and fishing) are minor and peripheral uses of the land.

Wildlife Management areas and designated game lands are more intensely managed for game species.

You might want to see if any local organizations, like RMEF, etc. have any targeted goal areas or plans, for having portions of public lands designated as Elk (or other) management units.

24-Nov-15
Simple answer who would make a profit fro all that effort?

24-Nov-15
Get out your check book. I'm sure Uncle Sam might be willing to put in a food plot or two for the right price.

To your question: Could public land use better management? My answer would be yes as long as it is at no further burden to the taxpayer.

Could the current money allocated to federal land management be put to better use? I'm certain, but this is the federal government we are talking about. As Fuzzy mentions, hunting is only the slightest blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.

24-Nov-15
Yes, with an infinite amount of money, they could be managed better.

24-Nov-15
I know some really good public ground in Illinois where farmers plant corn and or soybean then harvest some and leave some up for deer. That's a win/win but not done quite enough! C

24-Nov-15
No one has brought this up yet, and many may not even be aware of what I see is the biggest issue in public land management. The biggest issue on public lands in Montana right now is the environmentalists suing every time the government tries to manage the forest. Forest service has wasted thousands of dollars on legal fights that could have been used to maintain roads, improve habitat, and the like. Williamtell, the forest service here would LOVE to do some thing like that, Problem is as soon as it was suggested some environmental/animal rights group would sue to stop it. In fact the Forest service is just starting in a habitat improvement project in the Castle mountians that would improve the elk habitat, they will be getting sued for it because it includes some strategic logging ( this logging will increase/improve grazing and bedding areas).

24-Nov-15
Because COlorado would rather have the Revenue !

24-Nov-15
GRAZING.

24-Nov-15
I am not sure about Elk lands but there are a lot of great public grounds for deer. The states that offer walk in hunting areas have the best of both, it is private yet they allow walk in hunting. I know Kansas is doing a good job that way, but they are also issuing too many NR tags and that is putting pressure on a lot of the walk in hunting. Shawn

24-Nov-15
williamtell

Why was the public land in way rougher shape? Over-grazed? Just because it was (normally) at a higher elevation? Not irrigated?

25-Nov-15
on the north end of the fishlake unit in Utah, is johnsons ranch which is surrounded by forest. this ranch is supposed to be the second largest calving ground in the US. If are looking in from the boundary it is obvious that the area is logged, I was also told that by the previous owner. The ranch is managed for elk as a cmu and I do believe they do run some cattle. Looking at the southern end boundary, the forest service land is all beetle kill. The areas that have not been beetle killed, yet, are very thick, doug fir is choking out the aspens in most places.

Down south were I live on the panguitch unit is worse. there are large areas of beetle killed forest and what isn't beetle killed is so thick you can't walk through it. If it ever catches fire it is going to be a raging inferno. The sad thing is, the forest service will not let you cut down the beetle killed trees. Its like the management policy is to not do anything.

25-Nov-15
British Columbia has the best managed lands I've seen. Very proactive with the beetle kill areas and they do a great job building and maintaining roads. The biggest problem in here in the US is what ansci said about the environmentalist issues.

25-Nov-15

smokey's Link
There is some legislation to fix the issue of USFS management of public lands as well as the issue with EAJA (Equal Access to Justice Act).

Also, USFS cannot go asking for money from private groups but they can accept it if offered.

Check out the link and contact Congress.

30-Nov-15
Agree that appropriately done logging can really help some of the beetlekill hellholes I've been in, not to mention the towering inferno potential (do hardcore enviros ever think about the pollution from those fires?). Still, just because you log it doesn't make it great. Most of the time I barely glass large clearcuts during hunting season - animals got the word about those.

Agree with the post that we're the boil on the butt of a beetle in the greater scheme of things, but some small focused efforts wouldn't take a ton of money and could produce all sorts of wildlife benefits. if there is really high quality feed it will bring animals in. Guzzlers go without saying, but that's more a desert thing.

Maybe focus on private land that allows hunters. Pay them to grow crops tailored for wild game.

30-Nov-15
Forests were meant to burn. Man in his concept of wisdom wants to play god and control that which I find odd since forest fires are the healthiest possible thing that can happen if you want to enhance game land.

30-Nov-15
Kill all the Feral Horses and take that wasted millions of dollars would be an easy start! talk about environmental hypocrisy.

30-Nov-15
The USFS used to be self sustainable until they were infiltrated by leftist minds. Since they hold management responsibilities on all public owned, federally managed lands, they hold the key to doing such management. Before you say WHOA!, BLM lands are not public owned and, are owned by the government. Back to point, not all is the USFS fault though as Fuzzy pointed out. All pubically owned, federally managed land comes with the designation of multiple use. Multiple use means management for all uses. It just so happens hunting is looked at as the unpopular use most times.

When management plans come up for revision on National Forests, they have to be published and approved by the public before they are enacted. Many times habitat management is opposed by the liberal public during this comment section. which leads to arbitration, which leads to the opposition being defeated because of the multiple use doctrine that encompasses all public land. However, when the time for the actual habitat manipulation comes up, these same groups will then sue the USFS and retard that management. With federal budgets being non existent for these agencies, fighting lawsuits are out of the question. So, wildlife habitat management isn't even prescribed in the revised plans now.

It is very important for every hunter in this country to understand this is a concerted and deliberate attempt by several groups. Many of whom we call our friends. They take the same money from the same people that PETA and HSUS, in the forms of different grants. BHA, TU, Sierra Club, Wilderness coalition, etc.... So, they work hard at designating public land into some form of federal designation like a monument or wilderness. Which by simple design and law, removes the public approval designation mandated under National Forests designation.

This is when we hunters loose. Stagnant forest and ecosystems leads to poor participation by hunters. Which leaves the land under even more threat at that point. With no desire to hunt these places, there is no instant need to recognize these dangers. But, if you look, these groups have succeeded in converting many of OUR equally owned areas to these designations already. These groups dispute these claims by saying we WILL use public input during plan revisions but, the law is the law. By that law, congress is the new manager of the designated land. And, there is no longer any law that grants the public the ability to dispute it. And, they are using mindless hunters to accomplish the task by forming "hunting" groups that claim they are there to protect the environment for our future use.

Men, wake up and get involved. This is real. We lost almost 250,000 acres here in 1997 when stabbed in the back by the wilderness coalition and the Sierra Club. Off the books for sensible habitat management for deer, grouse, bear, turkey, scores of small game, etc.. As a National Forest, Federal law gives we the people veto power when left as a National Forest. That is the only land designation that guarantees it. Believe no one that says designation of any sort is a good thing. Get proactive and research the groups you join and support. Minus the NRA and the SCI, you'll find most all take the same funds as the same people funding those that oppose hunting, regardless of what they claim. Act accordingly. It is that important. God Bless

30-Nov-15
FWIW, killinstuff ht the nail on the proverbial head. Fire in western forests are the defining and, the now missing tool that once kept them full of young succession and browse. God Bless

01-Dec-15
Pretty hard to have quality forage with all the sheep and cattle that get grazed on public lands.

01-Dec-15
The four factors of Game Management: 1-Is it ecologically sound? 2-Is it biologicaly sound? 3-Is it financialy feasible. 4- Does it benefit the hunter.

Apply those factors to your situation. I think you will find the hangup on number three. Who is going to pay?

01-Dec-15
Many, if not most, of the game that are feeding on private land in the west, are eating crops of some kind. I would hate to see our public lands a patchwork of food plots. I want to spend time in wild areas not manicured gardens. I'm all for improving natural habitat, but that will never compete with highly managed crops as a food source. It's also generally true that the best habitat is on the ranches to begin with. No one in their right mind would have tried to ranch/farm the poor high ground instead of the lush valley. That's not to say that more couldn't be done to improve wild range habitat, but irrigation and plowing is not the answer. I agree that natural fires are generally beneficial, but they are not always the safest alternative. Mechanical removal and controlled burns can often be employed for similar results, as well as fewer grazing allotments. Vote for these measures with your wallet, at least by supporting RMEF and DU, and other such orgs. That's our best chance of having an impact.

01-Dec-15
I'm thinking it may be time to up the ante. With so much of our hunting heritage and lands under assault, there should be groups advocating for right-minded management of these lands. Whether it is reasonable AUM limits for grazing, prescribed burning (instead of monster forest fires), appropriate logging (especially needed in areas of beetle kill), all impact the animals on the ground and the hunters who try to get them. There is a lot of info but I don't know how much of it ever really gets applied versus politics as usual.

01-Dec-15
In the whitetail world in some of the midwest states I've hunted, they should manage harvest differently on public and private land. Much of the public land gets overharvested and the private underharvested. Antlerless permits should be regulated differently based on public or private land. IMVHO.

01-Dec-15
Ollie,

In the SW most USFS grazing allotments are rotational pasture grazing. You will find the elk either one pasture ahead of the cattle or one pasture behind. The elk like the fresh regrowth and proper public lands grazing actually benefits elk to a huge degree.

On many private ranches taken over by the RMEF where they have taken the cattle off, you will find them on the neighboring ranches where there is grazing.

The Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge in southern AZ took cattle off years ago and you can not hardly find a deer, muley or Coues, on there now. They are out on the ranches that still have livestock grazing.

williamtell,

You are right on as the Federal Agencies are not properly managing much of the public land as their hands are either tied by environmental lawsuits or now many in power within the Agencies are greenies whom want to remove all consumptive uses and make it a big aesthetic playground for the bird watchers and backpackers. Hunting is is the crosshairs of these radicals and we need to be ever vigilant.

There is a big argument especially in Utah where the state is trying to take over management of the public land. In many states such as AZ and NM where I live we see the Federal Agencies as big wasteful behemoths that are reducing multiple uses of the public land on an ongoing basis and trying to make de facto wilderness out of all of it. Many hunters back this notion but they forget these antis don't want hunters out there either.

Public lands grazing allotments and the numbers of livestock allowed to run on them have been greatly reduced especially on Forest Service lands and for instance in the Gila National Forest in NM, whereas in the 70's there were 260,000 AUM's of grazing and now it about half of that.

This is happening all over the USFS manged landscape. Forest fires are able to get started and burn more than ever as livestock grazing is reduced. Look and 2011 and 2012 when the 1/2 million acre Wallow fire absolutely decimated much of the Apache Sitgreaves National Forest and the Whitewater Baldy fire took out 300,000 acres of the Gila Wilderness and National Forest with much of it an absolute mess and getting worse by the minute. The thick aspen regrowth and the Locust bush growth, plus all of the downed trees is making it very hard to hunt and is only getting worse. We think we only have about two more years of decent hunting left in much of the hot burn area. Not only that but when the wind blows you are in grave danger of getting hit by falling burned trees and snags. A person definitely is literally taking his life in his own hands when he ventures into this hot burn area, especially when the wind blows. I hunt both areas and it is a huge worry for not only my safety but that of my clients.

• Sitka Gear