Tonybear61 02-Dec-15
snapcrackpop 02-Dec-15
Tonybear61 03-Dec-15
Tonybear61 03-Dec-15
Tonybear61 03-Dec-15
Tonybear61 03-Dec-15
snapcrackpop 05-Dec-15
25-Nov-15
I have been using a Hunter Safety System harness for the last couple of years.

The other morning when I was getting ready to climb my tree the 'teeth' on the male side of the main buckle were broken off. This buckle is made of plastic.

So, the next one I buy is going to have all metal buckles.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

25-Nov-15
I use a Summit SOP harness. The main thing I like about it is the interlocking rectangle type of buckle. Will never break as plastic clip type buckles can, plus absolutely quiet when buckling. Go to their site and watch the video if you're not familiar with them.

25-Nov-15
+1 on post above. SOP for me!

25-Nov-15
Can the SOP be used underneath your outer garments?

I don't like wearing my harness outside my coat and pants because I hate the straps catching on everything and making noise as well as I always carry my coat to the stand and put it on after climbing.

I put on my "long johns" and then my harness over them.

Any thoughts?

25-Nov-15
Muddy are excellent. Never heard a bad review on them. All the load bearing buckles are steel.

25-Nov-15
I use the Muddy harness as well. I put it on under my outer wear and its fairly comfortable and doesn't add a lot of bulk. Plus i find them easy to slip in and out of. Comes with a linemans rope as well.

25-Nov-15

snapcrackpop's Link
rock climbing harness, see recent discussion on bowsite at link.

Glad to see you are using a harness. Make sure to be tied in from the ground up, not just up in the tree.

25-Nov-15
+2 for SOP!!!!!

My kids and I all have them.

25-Nov-15
Thanks guys. My own research had narrowed it down to Muddy and SOP, but the Rock Climbing harness throws in a new wrinkle...The video that snapcrackpop put together in the thread he linked to is very informative. I may end up going that route.

Thanks again...Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

25-Nov-15
My new (this year) HSS has all metal buckles. One on each leg, and one across the middle.

25-Nov-15

Mac's Link
Cabela's has several of the summit SOP harnesses on sale at pretty good prices $50 - $60

25-Nov-15
I used to use a rockclimbing harness. Bear in mind its not full body (just hips, pelvis and waist) and since folks are top heavy guess what happens when, if you fall. You are left hanging inverted.

I switched to SOP full body for that reason.

25-Nov-15
Tony, when and where have you ever witnessed this happening? This is closer to an urban myth than a possibility.

25-Nov-15
Nothing compares to an RC harness. I have the SOP, among others, I doubt they will see much use anymore.

I added a lineman's strap attachment to my Black Diamond harness so its fully functional at half the bulk and half the weight. Combine this with an HSS lifeline and you've got a neat setup that'll keep you intact.

25-Nov-15
I have a SOP I could sell you, got on the RC harness bandwagon and love it in comparison.

25-Nov-15
I bought a rock climbing harness this year as well. I got a Petzl from backcountry.com on a good sale. It is the most comfortable harness I've ever used, super light-weight and really easy to manage layers once in the tree. I love it and wouldnt consider a full body harness. And, by the way, you do not hang inverted if you fall.... I actually find that with my longbow, it opens up the opportunity to face the tree and lean out, using the harness as a "seat" for shot angles I wouldn't have been able to do with a standard tree stand harness

26-Nov-15
PSUHoss,

Yes you can wear your SOP harness under clothing as I do it all the time. I put my last coat on over the harness that way I can take it off or on while on stand and I am still connected.

26-Nov-15
Done with full body harnesses. PITA.... tried a RCH, definitely the way to go. Tired of the strap riding up against my neck, adding removing layers... I know SOP is a sponsor but a RCH is more adaptable, more comfortable and cheaper. AND, it's actually meant to suspend a person with out threatening their life after ten minutes, requiring the use of a suspension strap.

29-Nov-15
I wear HSS when in climber because it has outside pockets that come in handy when climbing. I prefer Muddy because it's light weight and more comfortable.

29-Nov-15
SOP

29-Nov-15
When is some manufacturer going to make a RCH targeted for hunters? All it would take is to make some D rings on the side for use with a lineman's belt and you would have a market ready to take off.

Maybe put a little fancy camo and of course, some super tough looking dudes with grim looks on their faces in the ads!

29-Nov-15
Lol Bullshooter, good one

29-Nov-15
Can you not use A Linemans belt with a rock climbing harness?

29-Nov-15
Gorilla Gtac has been awesome very sturdy harness. Had mine for 4 seasons and it is still like new.

29-Nov-15
The issue is that there are no loops to hold the linemans belt at your hips, just the belay loop in the center. So you could probably get by with just the belay loop, but as far as being steady while hoisting that 15 pound stand up and securing it is another story.

Maybe someone else will chime in on using the belay loop only. I added a separate strap with loops to mine. Well worth the time and effort.

29-Nov-15
Yes you can be inverted with a rock climbing harness after a fall from a tree. I often demoed it at NBEF/MBEP classes I used to teach. When a tree stand collapses, step breaks, shifts, or you step off of the stand where how does your mid-waist connection in the back keep you from flipping? Hollywood does this all the time with their stunt lines when the balance is top heavy. Granted you could perhaps adjust it to keep yourself horizontal but the the idea of a full harness lanyard anchored at the middle of your back shoulder height and attached to the tree above your head without slack, you hang upright. Preferably with feet very close to your stand platform. Unless of course the platform is what failed(as in the photos on this site) and is no longer something to stand on.

As far as the side hip loops for linemans use a fixed loop doubled over on the waist strap and clip the carabiner through there. Otherwise you could try a double fisherman's knot loop, will do the same thing. SOP already has one on each side. I just added two more to make it redundant.

Self-escape is really what it beaks down to. Do you have a few extra steps, loop, etc. in you pocket to prevent suspension trauma?? It only takes 10-15 minutes for that to become very serious.

29-Nov-15
Forgot to mention I have shot a deer on my way up the tree while using the SOP, double lineman's belt and leg irons. Had to wait for the deer to step over my bow first. Then pulled it up and shot the deer at about 16 yards. That was a short morning hunt;)

29-Nov-15
Can you guys show pics of how you added loops for the Linemans belt attachment?

29-Nov-15

snapcrackpop's Link
Bigwoods

https://youtu.be/7TlGkTd82eM

Tony, "When a tree stand collapses, step breaks, shifts, or you step off of the stand where how does your mid-waist connection in the back keep you from flipping?".......the connection is in the front.....?

29-Nov-15

RogBow's embedded Photo
RogBow's embedded Photo
Black Diamond Momentum harness with Summit lineman's rope with 2 beaners to set or take down a stand.

I added the black webbing strap for the lineman's rope and used heavy duty nylon outdoor upholstery thread for sewing it together.

The loops that come on the BD Momentum are nice for holding the tree steps etc.

After the stand is set I switch the lineman's rope to the belay loop using one beaner, then use the prussic knot on the other end of lineman's rope to snap into the HSS lifeline. Test and set harness at the base of the tree before you climb up.

30-Nov-15
I'm not sure that you can beat the SOP for ease of use and reliability. Granted there is nothing fancy it's just a no frills, great piece of gear!

30-Nov-15
Im not comfortable sewing my own loops on a RCH.

30-Nov-15
Bigwoods, you can tie the nylon straps to eash side. Ill try to find the picture.

01-Dec-15
"Self-escape is really what it beaks down to. Do you have a few extra steps, loop, etc. in you pocket to prevent suspension trauma?? It only takes 10-15 minutes for that to become very serious."

Read that again, and again, and again till it sinks in. Why not use a harness that is MEANT to support a human without inducing trauma after 10-15 minutes?

01-Dec-15
How long can one be suspended in a RCH before suspension trauma would set in?

Thanks!

01-Dec-15
OK I misunderstood...you are suspended by the climbing harness on the front or side not the back?? How do you shoot, facing the tree or around it?( I shot to side on the deer I harvested while climbing).

Suspension trauma happens when the legs are not supported. Different than a rock or tree climber harness as your feet are either on the tree or stand, steps, branches, etc.. Blood pools in the legs. Air force did the 10-15 minute testing for a free hanging individual. The study is till out there, OSHA references it too.

01-Dec-15

snapcrackpop's Link
You hang in a RC in the seated position. Your femoral artery & vein passes through the groin area. In a full body harness without the suspension relief straps your legs hang down putting direct pressure on the vessels. So the answer is......a lot longer.

Tonybear check out my videos

01-Dec-15

snapcrackpop's Link
Another video

02-Dec-15
I did locate an article I forgot about that talks about the Air force, NASA and Australian study info.

http://www.elevatedsafetysystems.com/suspension-trauma.html Supports some of the comments regarding the RC seated position, ability to be hanging "longer."

RogBow your flipline , linemans belt looks just like the set -up I used on my SOP. Only difference is I have two of them, self-closing, self-locking carabiners on each side (4 total), plus the one for the back strap.

Before I went with the SOP I was using a Black diamond Rock harness in combo with a shoulder waist harness. The two together created something very similar to the SOP I am now using.

A word of caution for folks thinking a fall harness, restraint, etc. can cause more harm than good. Without some of the devices we are discussing the survival rate can be 0. 80% or so suffer significant injuries.

02-Dec-15
when they fall.

02-Dec-15
That article is quite positive towards RC-style harnesses, no? Reading it I'm surprised why TMA would even recommend anything but a RC.

"HARNESS TYPE AND SUSPENSION TRAUMA FACTORS--- A distinction needs to be made between a front-attached work harness similar to an Alpine, Climbing or an Arborist Sit harness, and a rear-attached safety harness that is used in construction and hunting from treestands.  A front-attached Alpine, Climbing or Sit work harness is designed for the user to be suspended in them while they work; the very design of these harnesses cause very little pressure against the femoral vein in the legs, the main vessel that returns blood from the legs.  While suspended in this type of harness, the upper sections of both legs are in more of a horizontal position helping to negate the gravitational pull on the blood."

Both of these qualities in conjunction with active movement of the body allow for a comfortable suspension with less incidence of blood pooling and Suspension Trauma injury or death.  Even though blood pooling can occur, the length of time that one can be safely suspended without injury is GREATLY INCREASED as long as there is active movement.

03-Dec-15

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Yup agreed. I think the set-up I have now which allows climbing lineman /tree climber style and a back connection while on stand gives me a lot of options. With the leg irons on no way I can't reconnect with the tree if stand collapses. The linemans and the back tether are always in reach.

In watching snap crackpops videos looks like a lot of physical effort to get into the tree stand once you fall off. Again how do you get down if its the stand that fails??. Looks like your line is pretty tight to the tree. As I get closer to 60 just don't have the same athletic ability to climb as I used to.

With my set-up I can use the dual line mans, or just hug the tree with the leg irons to get back down. I also can hang a full tree rope with a sliding prussic if I want to . Again lots of options to consider. I'll try to load some photos to help with the discussion.

03-Dec-15
Yup agreed. I think the set-up I have now which allows climbing lineman /tree climber style and a back connection while on stand gives me a lot of options. With the leg irons on no way I can't reconnect with the tree if stand collapses. The linemans and the back tether are always in reach.

In watching snap crackpops videos looks like a lot of physical effort to get into the tree stand once you fall off. Again how do you get down if its the stand that fails??. Looks like your line is pretty tight to the tree. As I get closer to 60 just don't have the same athletic ability to climb as I used to.

With my set-up I can use the dual line mans, or just hug the tree with the leg irons to get back down. I also can hang a full tree rope with a sliding prussic if I want to . Again lots of options to consider. I'll try to load some photos to help with the discussion.

03-Dec-15

Another pic showing the flip line, 2 surgeon loops and bowline on the ends.

Again I use two flip lines to help get around branches, etc.

03-Dec-15

SOP with a full length sliding prussic on the tether, plus linemans flip line, etc. Note the noisy sticks which I don't like to use that often.

05-Dec-15
Glad to hear you are wearing one. Do you have relief straps with it?

• Sitka Gear