TradbowBob 28-Nov-15
jims 28-Nov-15
bbates 30-Nov-15
samman 30-Nov-15
Blacktail Bob 01-Dec-15
TD 02-Dec-15
wildwilderness 02-Dec-15
26-Nov-15
What is the best power for hunting binoculars for glassing? what would be the pro's and con's?

26-Nov-15
All around for me I'd go with the 10x42. I'd be concerned with weight for mountain hunts.

26-Nov-15
10x42

26-Nov-15
10x42

Mark

26-Nov-15
10X42 for sure.. 12X50 to big and heavy for carrying for me.

Ed

26-Nov-15
Easy choice for me: 10X42

26-Nov-15
It depends on the make. I have a pair of 10x50 Steiners that are smaller than a lot of 10x42's. I carry them for everything. Shawn

26-Nov-15
I like my 10x42s, I like them even better when I mount them on my tripod for extended periods of glassing. It's amazing how much a little stability adds to the detail you can see with good binos...

26-Nov-15
10x42s for me; I tried 12x50s and even 15x50s [which were both fantastic] but the weight difference was huge

Look for an adapter and a tripod and you'll be good to go for 90%+ of glassing

26-Nov-15
I've had a pair of 10x42 SLC's for several yrs. This year bought the 12x50 EL's. Just a couple ounces heavier, is all. They are pure amazing. For glassing…. the 12x50's are by far, my #1 choice now !! You simply have hold & look thru a pair at twilight, and you'll be hooked on them Swarovski EL 12x50's.

26-Nov-15
I like 8X42s for sitting in a tree stand and peeking out to the edge of what could be rifle range through a 7X scope. And they're good in black timber or of course for still-hunting the big woods for whitetails...

Would probably go to 10s for open country. 12s for me would be too shaky unless I practically set them on a tri-pod, in which case a spotting scope gives more range.

Most important thing is to not get something too big to bother carrying. Sort of like a side-arm... The best one is the one that you will have with you when it's needed.

26-Nov-15

26-Nov-15
When I was guiding full time I could spend days on end glassing.

Besides a few cheaper pairs that quit on me, LOL, I worked for years with a pair of Steiner 10x50's and a set of pocket 8x20 Zeiss's. Both excellent tools for different applications.

Well, this year I figured it was time for something new (for my personal pleasure), so I did a lot of research, read many reviews, and talked to some friends that are still in the outfitting business.

Since I never had problems with the 10x50's being "over powered", I had the inclination to go up a wee bit more.

I narrowed my choice down to the Swarovski 12x50's and then after sleeping on it for a while, finally took the plunge (I'm not a rich guy, LOL!).

When I received them I was shocked at how relatively small they are, especially in comparison to a variety of older 12x50's I had seen through the years.

And, I don't really find them any more "shaky" than my 10x50's.

I often glass with some sort of support - be it a rock, a tree, etc. but if I am standing "freestyle", then I rest my elbows against my chest and hold the top of the rims of the binoculars against my eyebrows - works well for me... but then we are all built differently.

Anyhow, I am extremely pleased with my choice.

26-Nov-15
Love my 10x42's...

26-Nov-15
yep, 10x42s for over all hunting and holding in hand. 12x50 would be good on a tripod to pick apart distant hill sides.

When I was hunting Coues deer in AZ and mexico, even the 10x42 on a tripod provided many more sightings that when hand held.

My best, Paul

26-Nov-15
I used both over several years. My 12x50 are what i use now.

26-Nov-15
Depends on your average distance

Up to 400 yards: 8x42 400-600: 10x42 beyond 600: 12x

26-Nov-15
That definitely depends on what you are using them for. Treestand whitetails in archery 8x30 might be best. If you are going to use 12 power binos you will need a tripod or solid rest. They aren't something you stand up and hold in your hands especially for long periods of glassing as you'd do on a western hunt. If you knew for sure you would be in a stationary position with a rest and never in timber then 12s would be awesome. As you can see above 10x42 is probably the number once choice. That is a good all around combination as is 10x50.

27-Nov-15
I used to use 10x42'

Then I went to 12x50's

I really like the 12's

I think they are the best of both worlds. Bigger than 10 but not as big as 15's (that you can't freehand)

With the 12's i Can free hand and use on tripod.

I think I find more animals with them

28-Nov-15
I recently went from some 15s to 12s. I've used 10s quite a bit also and I've found the 12s are just right. Smaller than 15s but more magnification for glassing longer distances than the 10s. Either freehand or on a tripod they're great.

28-Nov-15
I think the quality of the glass is just as important as the magnification. Note that most of the happy talk was coming from those who own Swaro or Zeiss. Yes they are expensive, but how much do you have wrapped up in you bow?

I own Zeiss 10x42 and am very happy with them.

TBB

28-Nov-15
As Paul mentioned above...if you intend on hand holding you may have problems with anything over 10x. If I'm glassing for any length of time I mostly sit down and prop my elbows on my knees...especially if it is windy! I use my 10x while still hunting (even in trees) to pick out eyes, ears, rump patches, etc. You may have trouble hand holding and still hunting in thick trees with higher power? A lot depends on how you want to use them....coues hunters swear by higher power optics.

30-Nov-15
I was a long time 8x42 user

I finally got to the point I was ready to buy some top end binos

Initially I really thought that was going to be the 10x42 slc hd swaro's

I spent some time behind a lot of glass ended up I just preferred the El's over the SLC HD

but I also got to spend sometime with the 15x56 swaro's

I left my hunt this year thinking I was going to need both 10's and 15's but I didn't want to spend the money

I did a lot of talking and researching and kept coming across positive comments about the el 12x50's

On whim I ordered a set from Euro Optic I think they are $1999 shipped right now.

let me just say I am very impressed, I was scared to death like mentioned above that you can't handhold these etc. and being a long time 8x user I wasn't going to be happy with narrow fov and hard to hold etc

For me these are the binos to own, I am going to send them to outdoorsmans for a tripod mount, I think even a set of 10's should be on a tripod for extended viewing, im new to the concept but its a game changer for me this year.

but these 12's handhold way easier than I thought, I've spent a lot of time behind them the past 2 weeks and even compared my old 8's and some 8x42 vortex HD

I still think there is a place for a set of 8x30's or 8x32 for light and fast or bowhunting for whitetails but for a go to set the 12x50 el's are tough to beat

30-Nov-15
My friend uses 10x42's & I carry 12 x 50's. Early morning or late evening while glassing, I can always see game in meadows or fields long before he does. To me they are worth the extra weight.

01-Dec-15
I have 8's, 10's, 12's and 15's either in Swarovski, Leica of Zeiss. I used to carry the 12's, but found they were a bit hard to hand hold.

I have been using 8's, with a range finder built in, for general spot and stalk, while using my 15's on a tripod for long sits and locating game. I take both with me when I spot and stalk hunt. I can’t hand hold the 15’s, they have to be on a tripod.

In my old age, next year I'm going to switch from the 8's to the 10's, also with a range finder. I'll continue to take the 15's too. In a few weeks I'll take the 10's with me on my Coues deer hunt in AZ. Because I sit in a treestand the whole time, I won't take the 15's to Coues deer hunt.

02-Dec-15
What Bob said. For pure glassing the 12-15 with a tripod. Info from this sheep hunter guy I was talking with supports that as well. Not so much on the actual hunt/stalk.

I like 8s (or technically 8.5) for actually hunting. In most cases I'm not handicapped much for most offhand glassing and they are invaluable on a stalk. I can use them one handed, use them in the wind, etc.

I've used 10s but in so many hunting situations they were nearly useless, windy, windED, close stalks in thicker bush, just better and more useful overall in the actual hunt/stalk. Perfect conditions, yeah, power has an edge but a good percentage of hunting is not under perfect conditions. Many times the edge becomes a liability.

02-Dec-15
I have Swaro 10x42 EL. I invested the money this year in an Outdoorsman tripod, pistol grip and pan. I had the adapter inserted into my binos. It is a game changer! I can find twice as many animals and twice as far away!

I have looked through friends 12x50 before and I think its too much for handheld. Now with the tripod for real glassing, I think it would be great.

• Sitka Gear