Rob in VT 29-Nov-15
lewis 29-Nov-15
CurveBow 30-Nov-15
lewis 30-Nov-15
CurveBow 30-Nov-15
Callingalldeer 30-Nov-15
lewis 30-Nov-15
29-Nov-15
Getting ready to pull trigger on a dslr kit for my wife and I for Christmas and I found the Nikon D7100 kit with a 18- 140mm and 55-300 lenses for around 12-1300 bucks.My question is would these lenses be the best way to go or would the the 18=140mm be too cumbersome to tote around for for everyday pic. taking.Any thoughts would be appreciated.Lewis

29-Nov-15
It will not be cumbersome. I've got the 18-200 on my 7D and I pack it with me when I'm hunting most places.

29-Nov-15
Thanks Gerald should I look at getting a smaller lense for every day use like family get overhears Lewis

29-Nov-15
I would also recommend to look at a Canon kit. I have the 60D which came with 2 lenses. A 70-300 and a 18-135. I do want to get a smaller lenses for up close or regular everyday photos as the ones I have don't give a wide enough view.

Also I find the size a little on the bulky side to carry in my pack. I still do, but wish I have something lighter.

29-Nov-15
Thanks guys for an all round kit might need to add a small lense for wide angle stuff Lewis

30-Nov-15
Lewis - I have a Nikon D7000 and use a Nikon 18-200 lens. That lens covers a lot of bases from wide angle to moderate zoom. Nikon also makes an 18-300 lens now. Tamron, Sigma & others also make aftermarket lenses that work great. I bought a Tamron 18-270 and use it when I think I may want a little more reach than the 18-200 provides.

I suggest that you look at the D7200. Every newer generation DSLR has improved features and I know the D7200 has better focusing and high ISO (low light) performance.

While I do not have any Canon experience, I know that between Canon & Nikon in the DSLR market, they are about 85% of what is sold.

For Nikon gear, I have bought a LOT used on Nikonians.org. I have used that site for over 10 years and have spend thousands. It is not an auction site, people list ads in the Forums of "I want to sell". Email the seller & negotiate. I even bought my D7000 there, new & unused with original cellophane on it for a below market price.

In the Forums, there are specific sections for families of cameras, like the D7000's. People post and respond to specific questions. You may find that of interest & use. There are also forums for lenses, both Nikon & aftermarket.

>>>>----good luck---->

30-Nov-15
thanks curvebow all help is appreciated the kit Im looking at seems to cover most bases but still thinking I might need a smaller wideangle for everyday stuff especially for my wife Lewis

30-Nov-15
Lewis - I also have a 12-24 F4 Tokina lens. It works very well and gets some usage.

My next purchase is going to be a Fisheys lens, 10mm.

This post is current on Nikonians: "danielgranthart Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2014 Tue 24-Nov-15 03:18 PM Just got this today in my D7200 kit, I took 2 test shots to make sure it worked ok and its brand new otherwise. Price of $275 includes shipping and pp fees."

Then there's this one for a Sigma 8-16 mm f4.5-5.6: "dkirk335 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Apr 2013 Sat 21-Nov-15 10:50 PM Lens in great working condition, no marks on the glass, slight wear on edge of hood. $450 or best offer."

Camera bodies come up now & again. Whenever a new model comes out, the older model of that series appear like rats from a sinking ship! Great deals can be had on equipment in excellent condition & lots of useful life left.

>>>>-------->

30-Nov-15
With lens adapters,the old glass can be used and save a bundle of $$$.I'm using all my lenses I had for the Pentax 35 mm and just buying a 6D canon body.

30-Nov-15
Thanks all again Lewis

• Sitka Gear