Jaquomo 03-Dec-15
buff 03-Dec-15
Dwayne 03-Dec-15
Will 03-Dec-15
loprofile 04-Dec-15
Shaft2Long 05-Dec-15
wyliecoyote 05-Dec-15
29-Nov-15
A good friend of mine has a relative that works for the BassPro here in San Antonio. According to the relative, the owner of Cabela's died recently and now Bass Pro has stated that they are going to purchase Cabelas? Not sure how much truth there is to any of that? If it is true, what does that mean for us? Would a consolidation be a good or bad thing?

29-Nov-15
There was a Montana TV station reporting this news a couple weeks ago, but other than that it has been quiet. Supposedly taking place January 1. We'll see I guess...

29-Nov-15
Jaquamo has some good insight on this. I'm sure he'll chime in as we discussed this very topic the other day.

29-Nov-15
I'm not a huge Bass Pro fan. I've been a Cabela's loyal customer for years. I dont think I'd like I if this is true.

29-Nov-15
Lots said...nothing proven yet. Buyout is probably good for some stockholders; probably not good for consumer choice. Answer really depends on how any buyout is handled and subsequent disposition of Cabela's. My guess is (if it happens) Cabela's remains with its existing identity more or less intact, but could become the cookie cutter store to compete with Dick's and Gander Mountain.

But then what do I know?

29-Nov-15

Pat C.'s Link
This was on the community forum.

03-Dec-15
Doubt it, Cabelas is looking at building a new store near me.

03-Dec-15

Destroyer350's Link
It was on the Colorado forum also.

03-Dec-15
It would be a complex deal, and it would take some time.

BPS is "exploring" a buyout, with the help of JPMorganChase and Co.

BUT, several private equity firms are also looking at acquiring Cabelas.

Remember, Cabelas has internet, brick/mortar, real estate and credit card/banking operations, so the deal(s) could be complicated, involve part, all, or eventually none (may not happen at all).

03-Dec-15
I don't think a takeover by Bass Pro would be a good thing. Bass Pro specializes in fishing and boats. Cabela's specializes in hunting and camping gear. Cabela's carries better quality gear for hunting and camping. If Bass Pro owned them, that would likely change...and not for the better.

03-Dec-15
A couple of the primary shareholders want $70, which would be a very pricey considering where the stock is today. But there are others pushing for the sale so we'll see. May end up with BPS, may go back private.

I know I can't afford to buy it. Wish I'd held onto my stock I sold when it stalled in the mid-20s.

03-Dec-15
If and when it happens, Bass Pro will keep the name Cabelas, and run both business's separate, just like they are now, what could be better(for them) than owning the top 2 sporting good stores, "competing" against each other. If you didn't hear about the buyout you would never know the difference. (physically), store policy and and service may change, (for the better I'm sure). As for in the process of building new stores means nothing as far as this deal goes, corporations have their "master plan" and it continues until the corporation actually changes

03-Dec-15

Dwayne's Link
CNBC article yesterday said "Cabela's says it's exploring strategic alternatives"

see link

03-Dec-15
I'd just hope they keep it (Cabelas) in the same vein quality wise. I've always really liked Cabela's quality for clothes and what not vs BPS.

04-Dec-15
Hopefully they will rely on threads like this for their billion dollar business decisions.

05-Dec-15
Ive bought tons of stuff from both places, never had a problem with either. Couldn't care either way. If the service and quality gets bad I'll go somewhere else.

05-Dec-15
Jaquomo, Was that the 1920s when the stock was low??? Just kiddin, I knew what you meant and besides...I am older than you are !! LOL

Joe

• Sitka Gear