ozzyshane 05-Dec-15
TradbowBob 05-Dec-15
Purdue 05-Dec-15
Julius K 05-Dec-15
Purdue 05-Dec-15
Julius K 05-Dec-15
stickbowhntr 05-Dec-15
30-Nov-15
Other than Grizzly Stick, who makes a heavy all carbon arrow?

30-Nov-15
Gold Tip Big Game 100, are 10.6 grains per inch for black ones. Camo would probably be a little heavier.

30-Nov-15
Can't do the camo.

30-Nov-15
Arrow dynamics hammer head

30-Nov-15
Bryon ferguson heavy hunters. Can usually find them at a good price at big Jim's archery. He has blems too

30-Nov-15
Axis with brass inserts. Do you not like the FMJs anymore Bob?

30-Nov-15
Bob, Im kind of curious why you want to change up from FMJ's myself. Have you discovered something you don't like about them or have other reasons to change?

30-Nov-15
Axis arrows with brass HIT inserts will get you a fairly heavy arrow.

30-Nov-15
Shoot a higher spine and go with a heavy point. Shawn

30-Nov-15
I like the FMJ's just fine, but they are very expensive, they will bend, and they are very difficult to get a vane to adhere to without using a wrap.

I've been using an all carbon arrow for a while and I like everything except they are too light. I think I might try the Pile Drivers Pat suggested.

From my experience with them, Grizzly Sticks are not of very high quality carbon material. They break too easy and I was never able to get them to shoot very well from a compound bow.

30-Nov-15
I was shooting FMJ too and changed for same reason. It was also hard to find a 300 spine. I found easton aftermath 300 spine are 10.2 gpi They also only cost 60$ for a dozen. With year round hunting where I live I can't be shooting expensive arrows!

30-Nov-15
GT Kinetic are fairly heavy, the .200 spine are 11.6 gpi, .300 are 10.4gpi and .340 are 9.9gpi only thing is you either need to foot them with at least an inch of aluminum arrow shaft or use the GT Ballistic Collars or whatever they call them. Very very tough arrow, but very very weak insert. Once footed, it is my all time favorite arrow!

30-Nov-15
Easton Axis are 10.7 GPI vs. 12 GPI with your FMJ. A little lighter but still heavy compared to most carbon shafts. Excellent durability.

30-Nov-15
Bob,

Ive got some very heavy CE's Pyle Driver 450's made up if you want to stop by and look at them.

Hugh

30-Nov-15
I love the Carbon Tech Rhinos at 11.5 gr/inch for 300's but no one carries them but Carbon Tech anymore. $175 for doz. shafts!

Edit: I see a place called "Jake's Archery" now sells the Rhino's for $120/doz.

30-Nov-15
I need to pick some other stuff up don't I?

30-Nov-15
the carbon express piledrivers in a 450 (.300 spine) are 13.1 gpi

I shoot them out of my 80 lb Elite Answer, total weight is 538 grains with a 100 grain slick trick mag and chronograph speed is 281 fps

30-Nov-15
yes Bob you do!

01-Dec-15
I have Gold Tip Kinetics. I was shooting FMJ's and wanted something similar. These don't bend. Heavy...ish with small diameter. Great arrow.

GR

02-Dec-15
Just built a doz new FMJ in the kitchen last nite and was thinking the exact same thing about hoping this is my last set of FMJ,I need a cheaper alternative.Brass inserts + Carbon may be the ticket.

Let's us know what you decided Bob

02-Dec-15
Have been shooting CE Piledrivers for several years love them

02-Dec-15
I don't see where Piledrivers are any cheaper than FMJ, they are both around $120.00 a dozen for comparable spine on Amazon.

I've no experience with Piledrivers so maybe the payoff would be longevity and durability?

I used to shoot gold tips but had arrow split and break.

I've not experienced FMJ's bending but I have had one break after a pass through into the rocks.

04-Dec-15
I've been shooting CE Mayhem with good results.

04-Dec-15
I myself shoot a fairly heavy carbon at 10 gpi and than just shoot a 190 grains of point weight including insert. Bob, what are you trying to acheieve? Quieter bow? More KE? Just curious. Shawn

04-Dec-15
Why not just add a weight tube? They just add weight without changing the spine and are quite cheap.

04-Dec-15
Bowfreak just sent me a text regarding Gold Tip myriad of insert weights and their F.A.C.T system of screw in weights to inserts to fine tune your arrow /FOC

Looks I will be able to match my FMJ weight pretty easily at $40 less a dozen

04-Dec-15
gold tips heavy hunters if you do not mind the wood finish.

04-Dec-15
Just looking for more stability in the arrow and an arrow that hits harder than what I'm using now. The all carbon arrow I shot this year was about 9.3 grains per inch I think.

05-Dec-15
Hey bob have a look at Zelor arrows great price and good people to deal with .Thansk Shane ps how didyou go on kodiak this rut havnt seen any pics

05-Dec-15
I stick a .243 bullet inside the shaft when I glue in the insert. Easy way to add 100 gr, and gives you a lot of FOC weight.

TBB

05-Dec-15
Stability is increased by:

Increasing FOC.

Decreasing frontal drag. (reduce broadhead surface area)

Increasing rear drag (use feathers, four fletch, etc.)

Energy transfer (hit harder) is increased by:

Increasing arrow velocity via bow poundage.

Increasing arrow weight.

Use stiff arrow shaft. (short length, large OD, thick wall)

Minimizing string weight and diameter.

Minimal weight in tail of arrow (use feathers, no lights)

05-Dec-15
I think the cheapest thing to do is run something like goldtips standard diameter shafts 0.006 straightness and put weight tubes in them. You should be able to get 500+ grains in a hurry.

05-Dec-15
Actually you don't want an arrow to "hit hard", you want maximum energy generation and transfer to the arrow before the arrow hits the target and minimal transfer to the target.

The quicker the arrow loses its energy, the quicker it slows or stops. The quicker it slows or stops, the less it penetrates. Things like fewer blades, less cut diameter, low angle blades and sharp blades will lessen the energy transfer to the target therefore increase penetration.

05-Dec-15
http://www.3riversarchery.com/3rivers-archery-arrow-weight-tubes.html

12.75 for a dozen weight tubes that do not affect spine. Options of 3, 5, 8 grains per inch.

05-Dec-15
Do any of the afore mentioned shafts use the traditional glue-on nocks?

• Sitka Gear