wyobullshooter 02-Jun-18
Jaquomo 02-Jun-18
Jason Stafford 02-Jun-18
lamb 02-Jun-18
zimmy 02-Jun-18
Z Barebow 02-Jun-18
Michael 02-Jun-18
07-Dec-15
What are the best units for a diy otc archery hunter in Wyoming and why?

07-Dec-15
Good luck on this one.

07-Dec-15
The one you can draw. Do some research on WY Game and Fish site. WY is a great state. If you do some homework you could have a great hunt.

07-Dec-15
I don't know the unit but I have GPS coordinates, will that work?

07-Dec-15
There are no otc units (Areas) in Wyoming for non-resident elk. There are typically leftovers after the draws are over. These are pretty limited and a lot of them go fairly quickly. As you can imagine, the leftovers are generally in less desirable areas for one reason or another. Stick with CO or ID for otc.

07-Dec-15
The closest WY has to OTC is leftover tags or the General tag. The general tag, with zero preference points, in the upcoming draw, will probably have about a 15% chance of drawing at the regular price ($600). If you want to drop the coin for the special draw (just north of $1100), your odds will be significantly better.

07-Dec-15
andyj is a smart fellow bahahaaaaaa

07-Dec-15
The best OTC unit in WY is Colorado.

07-Dec-15
Since the OP is from Wyoming wouldn't general be otc for him?

As far as best I have no clue.

07-Dec-15
Elknewb- I'll save you some grief. If someone gives you a unit number on a public forum, don't go there. You might find a snipe or two on public land, but you might not have a good elk hunt.

Asking for a unit# (OTC/General tag) on any internet forum, no matter what state, is one notch less than asking about my wife or girlfriend. No one will punch you, but no one will take you seriously either.

First off, learn the rules of the state you are interested in. Wyoming does not have OTC elk units. They have what is called general tag. As alluded to above, you must apply for them and still is no guarantee of drawing.

This site as well as other have plenty of info on units as well as the nuances on researching units. The search function is valuable. Once you have digested much of that info, you will be able to ask specific questions.

Not trying to be a sm@rt@ss, but your broad question won't be taken seriously by most hunters. When dealing with OTC/general tags, other hunters are my competition. Public broadcasting useful data on any unit will ruin my hunt and kill all of my research an/or accumulated experience in any particular unit/area.

That being said, Wyoming has plenty of good options. Your handle shows you are from there. Researching and scouting your options, well, I would like to be in your shoes having those general tag options in my backyard!

EDIT- It looks like Elknewb moved WYO to Michigan after my post.

07-Dec-15
His handle shows he's from Michigan...

07-Dec-15
When I click on his name it says he is from Michigan?

07-Dec-15
Earlier when I clicked on it it said Wyoming. Interesting?

07-Dec-15
Sorry guys, new to this. Made a mistake in my profile. I am from Michigan. Been on one elk/muley hunt in Utah. Caught the western bug.

I thought this would be a good place to start my research but apparently that was my second mistake of the day.

07-Dec-15
Z Barebow, I think that some guys would rather give up information on their wife or girlfriend before a specific elk unit!!

DJ

07-Dec-15
Elknewb Date: 07-Dec-15 Thread Owner Sorry guys, new to this. Made a mistake in my profile. I am from Michigan. Been on one elk/muley hunt in Utah. Caught the western bug. I thought this would be a good place to start my research but apparently that was my second mistake of the day.

Yep, and your third mistake for the day was putting up your second post saying you made that second mistake! It's very easy to see that there are no OTC licenses for NRs for elk, deer or antelope in Wyoming if you would have spent some minimal time reading the G&F website.

07-Dec-15
Topgun 30-06,

Should've known before looking you were from Mi. This state is full of d1(k heads like you. It was already done and you had to throw in your stupid bullsh1t. You are the reason people think Michigan is full of a$$holes. Gfys.

07-Dec-15
Would you expect anything but negativity when you post passive-aggressive sarcasm like "... but apparently that was my second mistake of the day."

My post gave you a start and if you'd come back with a more specific question, I'd have taken the time to try and help you again. Posting like that is not a good way to get people to help you.

07-Dec-15
That was an amusing start to my day, thanks.

07-Dec-15
My post was not at all meant to be passive aggressive. Simply explaining that I'm new to these type of sites and made a couple of newbie mistakes. maybe the fact that people get all butt hurt on these forums has made some of the frequenters a little orver sensitive. (Passive aggression). Don't worry I'll be leaving for good now!

07-Dec-15

07-Dec-15
Stay classy.........

07-Dec-15
Interesting the OP gets in a squabble with the one guy I would ask advice on Wyoming from.

07-Dec-15
"...Michigan is full of a$$holes."

+1

07-Dec-15
Probably should have added a" :) "at the end of the above comment. I've noticed lots of sensitive folks on this site.

07-Dec-15
I guess I'm the odd man out. I have always liked people from Michigan. When I used to attend the sport shows booking hunters I would book them in places where I liked the people and I did several Michigan shows every year. As hunters they were always hard workers with realistic expectations.

I did Chicago.... once. lol

Newb... a little word of advice. It takes a lot of time to research hunts... especially public land elk. The people who put their time in can take it a little personal when someone asks a really general question and it's obvious that they haven't even taken a peek at the regulations and other info on the internet starting with state fish and game websites. Over on the Alaska Supersite, formerly the Alaska Outdoor Directory, they will tar and feather you if you don't do research and then have detailed educated questions. Just sayin.

Every state had decent elk hunting if you find the right spots. Likewise they all have crappy elk hunting in places for various reasons.

One thing I would start off doing is define your goals and abilities. Bulls only or ether sex since you are new at it? Pack in spike camp or roadside? Partners or solo? Olympic athlete or couch potato? etc etc.

Also jump on ther Wyoming website and start looking for units you can hunt on their General license. Once you get it narrowed down a bit you will have learned enough to look for some help with more details.

Last... you might be new to elk hunting but probably not to say... deer hunting. Can you imagine getting on ginormouswhitetails dot com and asking where to hunt? WHERE is a pretty sacred subject. There's a chitload of info on this site and others. Just do a little digging with the search function.

Whatever you do.... do NOT listen to that Jaquomo guy. He gave me some GPS coordinates once and said it was killer hunting there. I ended up in a college bar in downtown Laramie Wyoming. I have to admit the hunting was pretty good though.

07-Dec-15
Oh boy...lol

08-Dec-15
Some of my best Bowsite friends are from Michigan----->

Good luck, Robb

08-Dec-15
"My post was not at all meant to be passive aggressive."

Ok, your first post was very humble. I'd have given you info that took me 100s, if not 1000s of hours of research to attain.

But this:

"I thought this would be a good place to start my research but apparently that was my second mistake of the day."

and this:

"maybe the fact that people get all butt hurt on these forums has made some of the frequenters a little orver sensitive."

paint you as an entitled a$$.

Perhaps I'm 100% wrong. I bet if I met you at a restraunt and we had a couple beers and shared a burger and some hunting stories, I'd like you and would want to hunt with you. But in text, the attitude you show is that you expect people you've never met to give you information that they spent a lot of time gathering and it's clear that you didn't have a basic understanding of the system and THATS OK! I didn't either before I got here several years ago, but I never got a response like you did (perhaps a little heavy handed from Topgun, but perhaps deserved based on your passive aggressive response) because I never responded with stuff like that.

So, to summarize, you fu((<3d yourself and don't blame any of us for it. If you'd have stuck with it and been genuine, you'd have gotten a lot of info like many people who've come here have, myself included. You're the one who got "butt hurt." Your "second mistake" came before Topgun ever called you out.

Wanna see something crazy? Come clean, apologize, join the community, and you'll get your info. That's how it works.

08-Dec-15
Robb... I didn't know you were best friends with Ted Nugent.

08-Dec-15
WY gen tag. Info critical to this hunt obtained from a Bowsiter I'd never met in person.

08-Dec-15

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Wrong pic

09-Dec-15
Funny you would bring up T.N. Joe----as in our recent 'Nam Vets Group meeting one of the topics was what do you remember first when ya landed back in The World off the Freedom Flight and mine was a Ted Nugent song on the terminal radio! ha

Good luck, Robb

09-Dec-15
I will be hunting WY general for the first time this coming year. I narrowed my options down to a couple units, asked a couple Bowsiters for info (PM, NOT on a thread viewed by the World Wide Web) and they've done everything but tie a bull up for me.

In planning an AZ Coues hunt in January, and another Bowsiter I PMed sent me topos with all the good spots marked, hunting info for the area, even safe campsites, then spent a lot of time on the phone detailing it for me.

But I will NEVER give up the location of the secret bar in Laramie that Mule Power mentioned! Its the hangout for the U of WY modeling and yoga programs...

09-Dec-15
Ike, where did you kill that nice bull? ;-)'

09-Dec-15
Ok guys, I think he gets it. The horse has probably been beaten enough.

09-Dec-15
I'll chime in as well. I'm considering this hunt this yr. I have 3 points so I can draw the general tag easily. I'm looking at the general units west of Laramie specifically 9,10, 12.etc. I've also looked at 21 and it has a good success rate but tons of hunters so idk? These units have decent success rates and good access and no grizzs. I originally wanted to hunt the general units south of Yellowstone that aren't wilderness but I've since heard so many terrible stories about the grizzs that I'm a little skeptical and it seems without horses these units could provide difficult access to get to where the elk are or could be. Anyway, I've hunted AZ and NM elk so feel free to PM about these areas or any other suggestions. If I can help with AZ or NM let me know! thanks

09-Dec-15
Last year 21 GEN was the subject of threads on every forum I look at.

09-Dec-15
oh lordy! that doesn't sound good! lol

09-Dec-15
"I'm looking at the general units west of Laramie specifically 9,10, 12.etc. I've also looked at 21 and it has a good success rate but tons of hunters so idk?"

The elk herds in both the Sierra Madres (area 21) and Snowies (areas 9,10,12,110) are certainly doing well, but if you think area 21 is the only area with tons of hunters, you are in for a very rude awakening. Both the Sierra's and Snowies are close to Cheyenne, Laramie, and Casper. Not saying the hunting can't be good, but expect lots of hunters, and roads, regardless of where you go.

09-Dec-15
"Ike, where did you kill that nice bull? ;-)'"

Chris, in one of the several dozen General units. I'll narrow it down: It was between unit 1 and 128 :)

01-Jun-18
Wow, I didn't realize Wyoming hunters were such pinh@*%s! You are all laughable. You are welcome to come hunt in Colorado - we are a little more honest, a little more humble, and a little more friendly than the bozos talking here from WY. Most probably have killed 2 cows and 1 raghorn with rifles in 20 years of elk hunting! Laughable!~

01-Jun-18
Wow....dude drags up a 3 year old thread to bash the posters! LOL!

01-Jun-18
There are no yoga programs in Laramie. I don't care if the original post is 1975

01-Jun-18
There are more than a couple of bars in Laramie frequented by the local yoga tight wearing hippie talent. Worth hanging out after a hard day of fishing or a few hard days of chasin elk;)

02-Jun-18
Michigan - might be best to go on a guided hunt this year, until you get your bearings, and in the interim, you should crawl the website, use the search function and put in some good old fashion homework. What you find is that there are a lot of helpful people on Bowsite, you just need to educate yourself with the basics and re-approach with a little more finesse. P.S. no one wants to invite the World Wide Web into their good hunting areas, as you know, if they did, the area would no longer be any “good”.

02-Jun-18
Thirsty Thursday must've been a tough one for somebody. The Friday hangover is hurting. I hope he doesn't kiss his mother with that mouth... I mean pinheads? Wow!

02-Jun-18
Someone obviously forgot to take their meds. Of all the nerve, calling people "pinh@*%s!". What a potty mouth.

02-Jun-18
He is sort of right. Everyone in Colorado kills a big bull every year OTC, we freely share honest information about EXACTLY where to hunt, even to total strangers, and each evening after the hunt we all go to neighboring camps for group hugs. Sometimes we even share sleeping bags. It's a Colorado tradition

You Wyoming guys... Well let's just say that only 8 residents told me exact drainages to hunt last year, only three total strangers I met in camps offered to take me into their spots to hunt. Very disappointing. Unfriendly bunch up there...

02-Jun-18
Colorado...Wyoming’s Mexico

02-Jun-18
jason now thats funny!!!!

02-Jun-18
Don't forget the aholes from WisconsIn had my fill of them!!!!!!!

02-Jun-18
Need to build a wall. And Colorado will pay for it!

02-Jun-18
Build the wall!!

• Sitka Gear