Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
First cat confirmed in TN in 100 years.

Pretty cool. Video at Link.

11-Dec-15

Ace's Link
Story at link.

"For the first time in over a century, Tennessee officials say that mountain lions may be returning to the state. In October, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) confirmed that a hunter in Obion County discovered pictures of a mountain lion on his trail camera. The agency determined that photo was legitimate, making it the first cougar sighting in the state in over 100 years.

Other counties have also reported sightings. The most recent confirmed discovery of a mountain lion came from Humphreys County, near the center of the state and about 30 miles from Nashville. According to WSMV, Austin Burton found footage of the animal while checking up on his trail cam two days after Thanksgiving. The cougar appeared to be investigating a deer scrape."

11-Dec-15
That's a huge lion

11-Dec-15
Here kitty kitty. LOL That cat is solid. I bet that guy crapped his drawers when he checked his camera.

11-Dec-15
They roam a lot. One was killed by a car in Connecticut last year, DNA tests showed it had traveled all the way from N. Dakota!

The presence of one or a few does not equal a breeding population.

11-Dec-15
The road killed CT cat was 2011. And its DNA was a match from a population in the Black Hills, it was not determined to have been from there. That same cat was however DNA matched and proven to have been in WI, MI and NY.

They are pretty clearly expanding their range, and confirmed sightings in places where they haven't been for many years and evidence like that Trail Can video is pretty hard for authorities to argue with.

Here in CT there have been occasional reports of cats for many years, including from some very credible people. Our DEP always said "no mountain lions here", and "if you do see one it was an escaped pet". Then that one got hit, and was a confirmed wild lion. And t had been spotted and left DNA in several states on its trip East.

I always wondered why our Hunting Regs mentioned them several times. Other animals we're not supposed to have here aren't mentioned. You see no reference made to Wolves, Badgers, Armadillos etc.

11-Dec-15
Someday one of those TN coon houndsmen is gonna get a suprise...

11-Dec-15
"The presence of one or a few does not equal a breeding population. "

Please show me the data that supports this statement.

In all my travels around the world, I never heard of mammals not breeding just because they were out of their home turf.

It is also been my experience with mammals, that if you have a healthy male and female, you have a breeding pair.

11-Dec-15
The range of those cats is huge. Breeding "pair" is a very loose term with them.... outside breeding and raising young they are solitary animals.

I'd guess like with most any cats.... opportunity is all they really need.... "Tom cattin' around..." is a fairly accurate description....

12-Dec-15
The way I understand the way mt lions live is, that several females will have a smaller territory each that is overlapped by one dominant Tom who moves around, hunting in each of his girl's territories on a rotation, guarding his harem of 3-6 and kicking out any smaller toms who wander around looking for a place with some girls and no big guy.

Due to the nature of their large territories, the females and the males can overlap some.

I doubt this tom has a territory that spans several states. Sounds like he's cruisin for chicks cause he'd have found plenty of places with deer between where he started and where he ended up.

12-Dec-15
How can you tell it's a tom?

--Bill

12-Dec-15
My understanding is pretty much what Ike said. And younger toms run off by the mother are either run away or killed by the dominant male. Pretty confusing and dangerous time for those kids for sure.

This one, assuming a tom by the nature and size, was likely run out of where he was born by the dominant tom. Not finding any real home turf with a new girlfriend he just kept on roaming.... I'd guess he didn't run into too many girls.... looks like he was pretty good at hunting though....

"Papa was a rollin' stone...."

12-Dec-15
Cant tell it's a tom, but it'd be a big female if not. And the males of most mammalian species are the bigger wanderers, so I think it's a better than 50/50 assumption. The "this tom" i was referring to, was the one that left SD and ended up in CT, not the OP's TN cat.

12-Dec-15
Defiantly not a large Tom. Looks more like a 90 lb. female.

12-Dec-15

buzz mc's embedded Photo
buzz mc's embedded Photo
The video above is actually the second cat in Tennessee. It was from Humphreys County in November. This picture is from the one that was confirmed in October in Obian County.

13-Dec-15

buzz mc's Link
Make that 3 confirmed cougar sightings in TN this fall. Including 1 that was shot by a bowhunter.

• Sitka Gear