Topgun 30-06 19-Dec-15
MNRazorhead 19-Dec-15
WV Mountaineer 19-Dec-15
Clutch 20-Dec-15
MNRazorhead 13-Mar-16
15-Dec-15

MNRazorhead's embedded Photo
What do you think is the animal walking away from the camera? Initially I thought it was a raccoon, but it doesn't appear to have much of a tail. Also, the shape doesn't seem right, too rounded and high??? I've got other nighttime pics of coons out there and they appear much darker, too, along with an obvious tail. Deer don't appear to like it either, as I've got pics of them for 15 minutes after this thing went through and they all have their tails raised and are on high alert when they came across the trail. Forgot to add this is in farm country just outside the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

15-Dec-15
Bobcat

15-Dec-15

Glunt@work's embedded Photo

15-Dec-15
Raccoon with no tail.

15-Dec-15
Tracks in the snow?

15-Dec-15
There was about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground, but it didn't last long so no tracks.

15-Dec-15
Long-haired Minion

15-Dec-15
I think I see the white spots on the backs of the ears which woud say bobcat, but then I think I see the black mask which says coon.

Dark halo around the back-side kinda looks like the dark-tipped fur of a coon, and Don's pic of a cat shows white under the tail, which is surely missing in this pic.

Overall, probably a tailless coon would be my bet. Plenty of squirrels running around bobbed after not-quite-completely avoiding getting run over by a car....

15-Dec-15
Coon. I've never seen a bobcat shaped like Rosie.

15-Dec-15
I think that a tail-less coon is probably the best guess. But I have many pics of coons and deer close to each other and none reacted like the next several pics from this camera. Tails completely up and flaring out, high alert stance when they sniff the track. Weird.

15-Dec-15
Maybe a feral miniature pot-bellied pig? I better get out there, there may be BACON involved!

15-Dec-15

I'm sticking with bobcat. They only show white on/under the tail when its raised a bit. They can get pretty round in winter.

15-Dec-15
Razorhead - I noticed that in the first pic...

Cat in the pic just above has exactly the right tail for your first pic as well. Kind of odd that this cat is flat on his feet, though... Maybe just taking a quick break....

15-Dec-15
Glunt, That picture you posted has me wondering because it really would look like my pic from the back. Remember there was 3-4 inches of snow out there, too, so his legs would have been sinking in that far. This isn't bobcat country, but you don't have to go more than a couple hours north to get into some. I've never seen one in 30 years living here, but we didn't have any turkeys 30 years ago, either, and now they are thick. Could be a first, and it explains the deer's reactions.??? I'll try to post the next couple pictures showing the deer's reactions tonight.

15-Dec-15
Long lega long neck its a..........deer!

15-Dec-15
Yea blowed up it looks like a deer...saw this post this am! I saw a deer but didn't see bobcat or coon.. (Thought my eyes were getting bad so I kept my mouth shut!

15-Dec-15
Its Kevin!(Minion) Shawn

15-Dec-15
Polar bear cub

15-Dec-15
Nah its a coon

15-Dec-15
I'm surprised you guys can't tell that it is one fat old raccoon. His head is turned enough to the right to see the masked faced of that overweight bandit!

15-Dec-15
It's a coon. God Bless

16-Dec-15

Here are the next two pictures from the camera. I've never seen deer react like this to a raccoon. I've had many pics of them in the same area just ignoring each other. What do you guys think? I can see it being either a tail-less coon or a bobcat. When I blow-up the original I think I can see a bobcat face and ears looking at the alert doe in the distance, but not sure. Is there any way to easily enhance or sharpen a jpg pic?

16-Dec-15

Next pic. EDIT: Ooops, wrong one. This is one of my future walking deer sausages out there.

16-Dec-15

Here it is.

16-Dec-15
Small doe. That was my first, immediate impression. Then, I looked at the rest of the pictures and wondered how anyone could mistake that for anything but a deer? And how could you sayitwas walking away from the camera. Lots of confusion about theis.

16-Dec-15

I enhanced the contrast and brightened it a bit. I think I can see an outline of a head looking at the doe and it doesn't look like a coon head when I blow this one up. At this point it looks like a crouching bobcat to me. Take another look at this one, John, the enhanced contrast helps bring it out. What do you think?

16-Dec-15
Bobcat for certain.

16-Dec-15
Bob. A stout one at that.

16-Dec-15
Bobcat

16-Dec-15
Wold!!!

16-Dec-15
Head looks like a coon, butt looks like Bobcat...I'm going with "Bobcoon".

16-Dec-15
Bobcat.

That ain't no tail less coon. LOL,

16-Dec-15
No, not the Wold!! LOL, that was a great thread.

16-Dec-15
Chupacabra.

16-Dec-15
I never considered a crouching bobcat. Might very well be one. God Bless

16-Dec-15
Crouching bobcat, hidden dragon.

16-Dec-15
Smalls(Norseman), you're killing me!

(I thought the same thing when I typed it.)

16-Dec-15
Here kitty kitty!

16-Dec-15
Looks a lot like a porcupine

17-Dec-15
It looks like a deer to me

17-Dec-15
I looked again, zoomed in... it's just a coon. Face clearly visible and defined.

I was wrong when I said bobcat.

17-Dec-15
If this were in Louisiana I'd say DEFINATELY a coona**....but it's MinneSOH-TA.

17-Dec-15
I say bobcat. I've seen more than one coon with no tail though. The big old boars have bobtails once in a while. I caught a few that way and dogs treed a few more. Bob tail. No ears a few times as well.

17-Dec-15
Pointy nose, black mask, rings around short tail. Its a coon.

18-Dec-15
Did it crap on your deck? If so then it's DEFINATELY a 'coon!

18-Dec-15
Woods, No crap on deck. I wish I could hunt off my deck since that is where I see the biggest bucks every year, but that's another story. This is out in the middle of nowhere farm country.

It snowed a bit again last night and it is going to be cold for the next couple days. I plan on hunting out there this weekend and will watch for any more tracks since this seems to be a stumper with about half and half between coon and bobcat.

19-Dec-15
LMAO...I thawt you wuz atalkin bout the dear.

19-Dec-15
coon.

19-Dec-15

19-Dec-15
If you enlarge the picture, it's very easy to see the pointed nose and mask on that coon's face, as it is turned just enough to the right to see that it isn't a Bobcat. I did a lot of night coon hunting with dogs when I was younger and I have to say that is one big Mother!

19-Dec-15
Deer.

19-Dec-15

We aren't talking about the deer that is very obvious in the photo. We're looking at the furry critter in the lower left hand 1/4 of the photo.

19-Dec-15

Here are some coons out at this spot and from the same camera. See how dark they are compared to this? I also think part of what you are seeing as a pointed nose is actually the cheek fur of a bobcat sticking out. If you see the bobcat face it is aligned perfectly to look at the doe. If you see a coon face with the pointy nose it is turned more sharply and isn't aligned with the deer. Last, I've never seen deer react to a coon track like they are in the following pics, and it would have to be a coon with an amputated tail... I am more convinced it's a cat. Didn't see any tracks out there tonight but did have a doe within 15 yards of my ground blind but the wind shifted 180 degrees suddenly and that ended any action. Murphy strikes again this year, and he has been busy this year.

19-Dec-15
I'm still going with the my original guess of coon. God Bless

20-Dec-15
short tail coon

13-Mar-16
Finally got another picture. It's a bobcat. Cool! First one I have seen around here.

• Sitka Gear