Bou'bound 18-Dec-15
MathewsMan 18-Dec-15
MathewsMan 18-Dec-15
Rockbass 25-Dec-15
Chris S 25-Dec-15
kota-man 25-Dec-15
TEmbry 25-Dec-15
16-Dec-15
Levi Morgan was on a free range buffalo hunt in Colorado on BLM public land. I was not aware there were any free range Buffalo in Colorado

16-Dec-15
Neither did we here in CO. I know where there are some grazing on BLM inside a fence, on ranches that contain BLM inholdings. But it certainly isn't recognized as a free roaming game animal with public land hunting.

16-Dec-15
Ralph C on the show "the choice" was recently hunting 'free range buff' and it was a joke of a "Hunt". They stood there in the wide open feeding and glancing at him while he crawled closer...only to miss his first 30yd shot at a single garage door sized animal.

So the term 'free range' can cover wild as well as tame animals it seems.

16-Dec-15
Good grief. I just watched the promo for the show on FB and there's a grazing fence right beside the little herd. Then the whole crew walked right up them as they tamely stood there while he shot.

The only way those were "free range" as claimed is if the rancher turned them out onto the BLM for the show before bringing them back through the gate with hay. You can see pickup tracks leading out to the herd in the snow.

Sheesh! Hey, it's TV hunting...

16-Dec-15
The hunt he (Levi Morgan) was on is considered "fair chase" by Grand Slam, but doesn't count towards P&Y or Boone as a "free range" Bison eligble for the book. The hunt is advertised as a couple hundred thousand of BLM acres. I'm actually booked on that hunt for next year.

From the website: "Our trophy bison roam an immense valley in a primitive wilderness setting with Pikes Peak and Buffalo Peaks in the backdrop. These fair chase hunts are conducted on over 200,000 acres of prime bison habitat surrounded by rolling hills, mountain streams and reservoirs. It's likely to encounter pronghorn antelope, elk and mule deer while hunting. Due to the sprawling, rugged terrain our hunts utilize four-wheel drive pickups and UTVs and sometimes snowmobiles to locate these massive beasts with the stalk being on foot. Bison are the largest land mammal in North America and these lords of the prairie are remarkably quick and smile. When you combine their power with a fire temper, they demand every hunters respect, thus making a magnificent trophy and memorable hunt."

16-Dec-15
I was in unit 21 last year talk was about 8-12 head running around Texas mountain area and game and fish were incouraging them to be shot on site as there not part of management plan i Co.. Was two schools of thought that they were ranch escapees but more credence was given to the idea they came over from Utah . Oil gas workers shot two late August dont know if any more got shot during hunting season i left area on 8th Just what rancher told me never verfied it sound plausible concidering close proximity to the free range Utah herd

16-Dec-15
What is the outfitter name for this hunt ?

When is the hunting season?

16-Dec-15
Pm'd you Greg...

16-Dec-15
High Plains Adventures.

They are private herds, not wild like the henry Mts or Pink Mts in BC, but you could still have a very good hunt for those especially if you can get them in the timber. they do range freely.

there are not many animals in the world, and none other on this continent, that can make a moose look small but these things do.

16-Dec-15
"From the website: "

Well, if the advertising says so, it must be True!

16-Dec-15
The cattle I work where I deer hunt are a hell of a lot "wilder" than the ones he shot. At least they'll run away sometimes if you walk toward them. The whole gang just walked up to them on the open prairie and Levi shot one. I want to see the show to understand how they filled up the other 21.5 minutes of air time.

Might be a good hunt if you chased them into the timber with a vehicle, because then there's a chance of the arrow hitting a stick.

16-Dec-15
GF...I CAN tell you this: It IS TRUE as far as Grand Slam is concerned. Not the case with Pope and Young, so take that for what it is worth.

For a Bison hunt I was looking for a couple things to be "true":

1. - A hunt that Super Slam considered fair chase as I am "chasing" a Super Slam.

2. - Table Fare.

3. - A hunt that is "logistically" easy enough to bring the meat home.

Is this gonna be as "fair chase" as a Henry Mountains Bison? Probably not. Is it going to provide me with a ton of fantastic meat and satisfy my bison requirement for Super Slam while allowing me to see some great new country with an outfitter that gets pretty darn good reviews while not waiting 20 years to draw a tag? Yep. That makes it "true" enough for me.

A bunch of guys here have done the Sikanni River, BC hunt and Mike and Dixie get great reviews. I heavily considered it. That hunt looks fantastic and is considered fair chase by P&Y, however, the logistics just didn't appeal to me as much as the Colorado hunt. (I can drive there in 10 hours and don't have to go through a border crossing with a bison in the back of my truck.)

Our choices for Bison in a "fair chase" setting are VERY limited. In fact, unless you draw a tag in the US, there aren't any (according to P&Y). The Colorado hunt is about as "fair chase" as it gets South of the Canadian border. Sure Canada has Mervyn's in the Yukon, Sikanni (Mike and Dixie) in BC and a couple places in Alberta but none are as easy to bring the meat home as Colorado and for me that was the deciding factor.

16-Dec-15
PM Mathewsman. He'd probably be a good reference. I saw his photo in the buffalo photos. If I remember right he told it like it was.....a meat shoot. Nothing wrong with that if you're looking for some good meat, not a real hunt.

16-Dec-15
Price range on this hunt?

16-Dec-15
At least he used good bowhunting safety and lined up his shot so an errant arrow wouldn't strike the buildings and vehicles in the background.

Looks like a good way to collect some great meat, especially since they can drive right up to it and winch it into the back of a trailer, and be back in town for a nice steak dinner that evening.

16-Dec-15

Jaquomo's Link
Here's the link to the trailer for the show.

17-Dec-15
"There a ways out so we need to TRY and get closer" bwahahahaha! Looked like a pretty intense hunt! If he was smart he would have just loaded it live into a stock trailor and have the butcher put him down with the knocking block!

17-Dec-15
Talked to the CPW dept. today, there are NO free ranging Buffalo in Colorado, all are owned by private parties, if they were 'free' ranging the state would be managing them, not ranchers. These are paid fenced hunts!

17-Dec-15
re-wording, "Wild-free ranging"

17-Dec-15
so levi morgan is a 29 species super slammer now?

17-Dec-15
I don't think that he has completed it yet. I don't think that he has all of the sheep or the polar bear. Probably others that he is missing as well. Wish I had a sponsor... but then again as long as I am wishing, wish I could shoot like Levi. More power to him! :-)

17-Dec-15
A truly wild, free ranging bison is a much more difficult animal to stalk than most people give them credit for. I hunted them in BC with Sikanni River, and was surprised at just how spooky they are. Opportunities to hunt a truly wild bison in the states were so rare (only Henry Mt and Antelope Island, at least at that time), I went to Canada.

17-Dec-15
I have a question. If the Bison in Colorado are not free ranging wild animals, How does that count towards a super slam? I always thought to count for a Super slam all 29 had to be wild free ranging animals.

17-Dec-15
I actually have seen a wild buffalo in unit 2. The DOW officer told it is not a managed species and we could shoot it. Of course we did not, but it was a pretty cool thing to see. Must have been lost and wandered over from Utah.

17-Dec-15
Arrowflinger,

Hence my comment about Canada.....considering the low draw odds, it made sense to head North.

17-Dec-15
There was a bull caribou on the loose in N.CO for awhile after he got loose from some animal farm near Greeley. Huge bull. He was "free range" and killing him would have been fair chase, so I suppose he would qualify for P&Y.

"Location: Weld County CO". Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

He was killed by a train when he was grazing beside the track.

17-Dec-15
So whether your looking to fill your Slam (??) or your freezer, this seems like a fairly decent opportunity to get out of the house, off your azzz and have some fun. I have no idea what the TV people did but it's still a stalk and requires a well placed shot on a 1200lb+ animal..to each his own. My nephew is looking into it just for something to do in the dead of winter...I told him he's going to need a bigger freezer!! lol If he goes, I'm tagging along just for the fun of it...

17-Dec-15
Jake, I presume your hunt was a bit more challenging than Levi's? The website touts it as a one-day hunt.

Fly into the Springs, check into the Broadmoor, play a round of golf, get a manicure and soak in the spa, nice dinner of Chateaubriand and Opus One, turn in early for the big hunt in the morning. Check another specie off the scorecard, fly home that afternoon.

Chuck Adams said his wild bison hunt was one of the most difficult of any he's experienced.

17-Dec-15
Medicineman - I don't think anybody here has suggested that a "truly wild, free-ranging bison" ISN'T a reasonably difficult animal to take with a bow; I think the concern here is (based on that trailer, especially) that calling the animals in the trailer "wild & free-ranging" is about as accurate as letting the dog run off of his leash and calling him a wolf.

Full disclosure: I've shot a few deer that didn't seem a whole lot cagier than the herd in the clip; I just don't expect anyone to be impressed by it.

And honestly, I don't really get the whole "Slam" thing in the first place. Just one more way to keep score in a non-competitive activity.

Don't get me wrong - I hope kota-man has a BLAST on his trip. And if I could draw a tag to brig home one of the bison that wander out of Yellowstone, I'd love to make the trip. And I would preserve the skull and the hide to remind me that I'd had the chance to do it. I just wouldn't count it as any particular "accomplishment" on my part....

17-Dec-15
GF,

I agree with much of what you posted.

We all bowhunt for different reasons. While you may have a different perception from others that chose to pursue a varying personal goals, it's all good.

I was just sharing my personal observations, as this thread collects varying experiences.

17-Dec-15
Arrowflinger- P&Y does not "officially" recognize or record "Super Slam", that is a GSCO record keeping thing.

Correct, P&Y qualifying Bison areas do not include anyting in Colorado.

In Colorado, Bison are privately owned and even if a CPW officer tells you that you can shoot it, you are essentially Rustling someone's livestock just as if you were shooting a Cow or Sheep and if caught you would be responsible for restitution.

The going price on these big trophy Bulls is in line with the prices for hunts at Pink Mountain and others in BC.

It was a little bit surprising to me that some of the Bison in Colorado are in fact on BLM and USFS lands, but I guess not considering the grazing allotments and such. Some of the bulls roam as much as 30 miles away from the ranches. We do not have Wolves or Grizzly, so they really have no predators.

I went with Brandon and had a fantastic time with his group and my son. Probably the best meat we have ever tasted. Brandon's operation meets GSCO's requirements to qualify for Super Slam recognition.

17-Dec-15
What is the definition of "free range" by GSCO requirements?

17-Dec-15

elkstabber's Link
If you want to go shoot a fenced animal that is your business.

NRs have very good draw odds to hunt real wild free-ranging fair chase Buffalo in both Wyoming and Arizona.

Above is the link to my Buffalo hunt in Arizona last year.

17-Dec-15
Just watched the trailer. Fair chase? What a joke.

17-Dec-15
BC is a great place to hunt Bison I shot mine there and brought all the meat, full hide and skull from 2 Bison home with us (2 of us where hunting together) as we drove up and had no problems at the border or anywhere.

17-Dec-15
GSCO says that a hunter must legally register the taking of all 29 animals native to NA. No mention of fair chase. Now what encompases legal? If it is legal in a state to shoot fenced animals than a hunter could quite possibly take a whitetail, elk, bison and perhaps some other animals and count them towards his slam. Kinda take some of the luster off the whole thing.

17-Dec-15
Tell ya what, if i was bored and hungry and wanted a load of meat for my freezer, I'd totally go shoot one of those South Park bison. I kill them in my head all the time when I drive highway 9 (I really want a buffalo rug!), but I'm sure not going to claim "free-range" or "wild". It's a good thing Levi was carrying a white bow and wearing his camo, or those things might have spooked!!!

17-Dec-15
Jaq...Your description of "the hunt" is EXACTLY what I'm looking for after a tough hunting season. 5 sheep hunts and 2 goat hunts in three years and I'm ready for an "easy" one. For me, not all 29 hunts have to be ball busters. (Tule elk and Musk Ox also come to mind as "shoots" more than "hunts", great adventures none the less) For me it is all about the experience, seeing some new country and meeting some new people.

This trip will be a nice winter get away with my wife. We'll visit her brother in Denver, spend a day or two chasing buffalo and hopefully come home with a pickup full of meat. Beats going on a shopping trip or sitting at home on the couch starring out the window.

GF...We all have different goals. I never dreamt of chasing the Slam 10 years ago, but woke up one day and realized I was halfway there. For me chasing the Slam is about pursuing species I would've NEVER hunted without my goal and seeing new country and meeting new people. The journey has been amazing thus far. So, you go ahead and look at it as a competitive game of list checking. I'll continue to look at it as a life adventure and thank my lucky stars that I am fortunate enough to chase my new found dream.

17-Dec-15
Cory, your honesty is appreciated.

Good luck in completing your quest.

17-Dec-15
Maybe there's a market for a "super slam" hunt. Raise all the species on a farm, and sell a hunt in comfortable terrain and accommodations, and get-er-done in a week! Why go to all the bother, inconvenience and discomfort of actually going on a polar bear hunt, or mountain goat hunt, or...

"...the Slam is about pursuing species..."

Take your bison this way and you still won't have done that. It may be a great way to put meat in the freezer, but it shouldn't count toward a HUNTING goal. It would be shameful to list your name with those that have actually completed it.

I also wouldn't characterize a musk ox hunt as more of a shoot. Of course I killed mine at well under 20 yards after a tense stare down where he gave me the stink eye, and it wasn't clear what his intensions were. Not out near 50 yards where they are more comfortable with intrusions. Not every hunt for a particular species provides the same experience, unless of course, it's a one day shoot with no chance of failure.

17-Dec-15
You guys crack me up... sticking your noses to the sky saying its not a hunt.

If it doesnt float your boat...fine. But dont judge others on what they consider to be fun, fair chase, or hunting.

If the state of Colorado wanted too...which they dont...they could make Bison a free ranging species. They chose not too. That doesnt make shooting one in Custer NP or Wyoming Yellowstone herd any more of a hunt.

Yes...BC and the Utah Henry mnt area going to give you a ball busting hunt. But that doesnt mean those are the only Bison "hunts" out there.

17-Dec-15
Zeik...You're hilarious...Shameful? C'mon man. Is the whitetail you shot out of a tree stand while it went from bedding to a corn field "shameful"? Are you "shameful" of the musk ox you "stalked" up to in the wide open tundra and sank an arrow in it after that "tense" stare down? Are those that sit a waterhole hunting Pronghorn in 100 degree heat waiting for one to come and drink "shameful" when successful? How about the guy that goes on his first mountain lion hunt and on the first day, the first 10 minutes the dogs tree a cat and he walks out 100 yards from the truck and kills the cat? Shameful? My point is ANY hunt can end up being a one day shoot without failure.

Lets face it, not every hunt has the degree of difficulty of a Stone Sheep hunt. Does it make it "shameful" when you kill one of those less challenging species? Not to me. Sometimes what we do is "easy" and sometimes what we do is "hard". I hunted Stone sheep in the Yukon for 17 days and came home empty. I stalked a musk ox on my first day on the tundra and killed him. That was "easy". Both were great adventures. Neither were "shameful".

This Bison hunt is no less "shameful" than your Musk Ox hunt. (there was really no chance of failure on that one either) But in my book, that's ok. Some hunts are easy, some are hard, but for me they are all a new adventure. Judge all you want, I'm going to Colorado to kill a Bison and I'm going to have a great time doing it. Maybe you can see if they'll put an asterisk by my name when my goal is complete. :)

17-Dec-15
“Bison are the largest land mammal in North America and these lords of the prairie are remarkably quick and smile. When you combine their power with a fire temper, they demand every hunters respect, thus making a magnificent trophy and memorable hunt."

Quick with a fire temper and smile’n. Hmm....Think I’ll spend some more time practicing. That “smile’n” part got my attention.

17-Dec-15
kota-man, Go have fun, that's what this is all supposed to be about!! Even "tamed" bison still occasionally stomp someone...be safe! Kip

17-Dec-15
why don't pigs get this same treatment. in fenced areas, fed until fat, shot and celebrated by bowsite sponsors, icons, and even site owner! but they are OK to take this way but a buffalo is not.

why?

17-Dec-15
Because pigs aren't one of the NA 29?

17-Dec-15
I do like bacon.... How about you Pat? :-)

17-Dec-15
Below is a list of the ways my life is affected by kota killing a CO bison to add to his slam quest:

17-Dec-15
Arrowflinger-said "I have a question. If the Bison in Colorado are not free ranging wild animals, How does that count towards a super slam? I always thought to count for a Super slam all 29 had to be wild free ranging animals."

The term "Super Slam" has been Copyrighted/trademark whatever by Grand Slam Club Ovis and they made up their own rules to award a Super Slam (c), not by P&Y definitions

When Chuck Adams got the first "Super Slam" it was made up with the default/assumption that all animals were considered fair chase by P&Y rules.

So, take it for what you want, most still consider a "Super Slam" to still be P&Y free range animals but watch out if GSCO sues you over it!

17-Dec-15
Definition of free range is in question on this thread correct? Pope and Young and GSCO have different definitions and both are confusing for me at least. I have heard that P and Y says since bison are on an island they will not be classified? Yet desert sheep on Carmen island are? and they were planted there? There has to be more to that. Somebody tried to explane it from an inoculation stand point but I got confused with that as well. Some of the wildest bison to my understanding are Wood bison and they are not classified? I am confused again. lol.

I need a bison and want to get one but it seems like a tough task to be able to do so by anybody's standards. Good luck Kota. Have a great hunt. I will be interested in how it goes.

17-Dec-15
I can see Cory's point when it comes to shooting a Bison in Canada and leaving most of the meat vs shooting one in CO and having all that mouthwatering beef in your freezer. Have a great time and make sure you show us some steaks on the grill.

17-Dec-15
Good luck Kota on your bison hunt. It Would be great to hear about how the hunt went. Some day I want to do that hunt as well. A link mtns hunt would be great. Unfortunately it's not in the cards. I completely understand wanting an easy hunt for a change. I get that way some years myself.

17-Dec-15
While maybe not "free" range I think BLM could be considered "inexpensive" range..... =D

17-Dec-15
I would add a few more things to Midwest's list:

17-Dec-15
The comments on this thread make me wonder- how many who have posted have actually hunted a bison under any conditions- free range, fenced, island, mainland or any other way?

"Talk is cheap, but it cost money to sit at the bar!"

After I shot mine, the animal ran away for about 100-125 yds and then it did a 180 turn and started giving me "fair chase" on the "free range". I was running as hard as I could and praying "feet don't fail me now."

Finally the herd closed in on the mortally wounded animal that was chasing me and huddled around it, refusing to let it fall to the ground. There were no trees to climb nor any to hide behind. It was an awesome experience and an unbelievable sight to behold. I processed about 450# of meat and had an unforgetable experience. Oh, I was in Texas on a 2500 fenced ranch.

Kota-man have fun, be careful, be prepared to run, meet your Grand Slam requirement and fill the freezer.

17-Dec-15

Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo
Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo

The bison that gave me a pretty fair chase !

17-Dec-15
Q: The comments on this thread make me wonder- how many who have posted have actually hunted a bison under any conditions- free range, fenced, island, mainland or any other way?

A: Damn few

17-Dec-15
Buffalo, glad you survived that near-death experience!

:-)

I think much of the questions surrounding this particular episode come from the way it was portrayed on Levi's video. Like, nine guys walk right up to a herd standing around not far from buildings, then shoot one while none of them appear to pay attention to the approaching platoon. This may not be the norm, or may be. But it looked more like shooting the neighbor's cow in a pasture except cows usually run away.

Doesn't affect me either. I just think its funny that Levi made it out to be some dramatic, challenging "hunt". Sorta like doing a really drunk, really fat bar chick in the bar bathroom at 1 am., then trying to pass it off as a romantic weekend with Scarlett Johannsen.

17-Dec-15
"My point is ANY hunt can end up being a one day shoot without failure."

My point is NO "HUNT" starts out that way.

17-Dec-15
"Sorta like doing a really drunk, really fat bar chick in the bar bathroom at 1 am., then trying to pass it off as a romantic weekend with Scarlett Johannsen."

She wasn't fat....just big boned.

....and very appreciative.

17-Dec-15
"Sorta like doing a really drunk, really fat bar chick in the bar bathroom at 1 am., then trying to pass it off as a romantic weekend with Scarlett Johannsen."

Big girls need lovin too. Now if she is a two bagger that's a different story.

17-Dec-15
Cory,could you please p.m. me some details on this hunt.I shot a bison on the Durham Ranch in Wyoming in 2014 (private herd, 55,000 acres)and enjoyed the hunt and the meat and am looking to do this hunt again. Thanks, Dale

17-Dec-15
It is quite interesting to read the varying comments regarding this thread. It is evident that we do not all agree on what is ethical and what is not and this is cause for concern.

If I remember correctly, about 20% of the people in the U.S. do some hunting leaving 80% that do not hunt. If the 20% cannot agree on what is ethical hunting, I wonder how the 80% of non hunters would view this subject?

Whether we like it or not, it is not the 20% of us that hunt who will determine the future of hunting in the U.S. It is the 80% of the silent majority that will determine our destiny.

When one of us says, "If you want to shoot a fenced animal that is your business", that is a statement far from the truth. It is everyone's business, including the silent majority. At this point, it appears that most non hunters support hunting as long as it is deemed ethical and fair. If it ever gets to the point that we loose the support of non hunters, we are headed for trouble.

18-Dec-15
Hey.... like I stated in a precious thread.... Scarlett is mine(w/red hair)..... or Alba if she plays her cards right....

I could see a point about ranch hunts if there was some over the counter tag at a truly free range animal. But it snot. The tags for that to archery hunt in the US are few and far between. BC hunt, expensive.

I have no problem with anyone going on a private ranch bison hunt. None at all. The general public does not know nor care much about any differences that some club rules my have. That is between hunters. Go hunt and have a good time.

But..... I don't think it should be portrayed as it was. It is what it is. Possibly or even likely harder than most would guess, but certainly not a free range BC hunt either.

BTW the cattle run and are "wilder" because the steers know what happens when people catch em....

18-Dec-15
DNA them all then we will know if its a pure bison or not! Not Those interlopers with moo blood mixed in.

Halfbreeds are ruining it all! what with Shiras or not Shrias on the borderlands and those sheep with a few black hairs are they stones or fannins or whatever one needs to fill in the blank to complete da slam.

18-Dec-15

Phil/VA's embedded Photo
Phil/VA's embedded Photo
Mine was on a private ranch in North Dakota. The herd was in a 6000 acre pasture surrounded by barbed wire, which wouldn't stop a herd of bison if they decide to go someplace else. It wasn't a really challenging hunt but I very much enjoyed the hunt, the meat, and the bison robe I got. We only hunted one day. We spent most of the day trying to stalk, but couldn't get any closer than about 55 - 60 yds. We finally set up a blind with some round hay bales that were in the pasture and waited for them to come in. My cow weighed about 900 lbs and I got about 350 pounds of meat.

Would I do it again? - Yes.

18-Dec-15
great picture

18-Dec-15
I've never hunted for Muskox, but I would probably compare the ranch hunt to that, the terrain and ranch in South Park is 200,000 acres and some of these bulls dissappear for years in the timber and higher elevations. Locating them is a huge part of it. A winter Muskox venture is probably the best comparison.

18-Dec-15

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Here is a photo of us. The terrain in the background is all part of the ranch, which goes for about 15 square miles.

25-Dec-15
Kota-man,

Followed a bunch of your hunts over the past years and I am presently sitting at 16 points as a NR for bison in Utah and probably will never draw a Henry Mountain Tag so I only have this to say:

Hope you and your wife have a great time on your Colorado Hunt.

All the best for 2016.

Rockbass.

25-Dec-15
I've taken 3 on twin pine ranch in Wyoming. 16000 acres no fences. Yes privately owned but as close to wild as I can imagine. They breed and calf on their own. Only thing the ranchers do is trade a few cows with other ranches every couple years in order to add more diversity to the gene pool. Not a cake walk at all getting close to one of those animals with a bow. Yes with a rifle very easy to shoot. Very intimidating when they turn around and gove you the stink eye. Every year they have a few charge the hunters. Can get dangerous very quickly. I think it's about the best eating steak around.

25-Dec-15
Thanks Rockbass, I think I only have 8 points for the Henry Mountains. MERRY Christmas everyone.

25-Dec-15
I appreciate your outlook on it Corey. Not all hunts have to be super hard in extreme conditions. Some can be great ways to stock the freezer with clean meat, others can be the most grueling 3 week backpacking trip of your life. All are fun.

• Sitka Gear