MallardSX2 04-Jan-16
Treeline 05-Jan-16
Kurt 05-Jan-16
HANS1 05-Jan-16
wyliecoyote 05-Jan-16
WFG in NM 05-Jan-16
wyliecoyote 05-Jan-16
29-Dec-15
I'm thinking about adding a pair of 15x56 binoculars to my optics collection for western big game hunting. I currently have a 20-60x spotting scope and a pair of 10x42 binos.

For those of you that have 15x binos, how often do you find yourself using them? What do you like or not like about them? Are they worth the investment?

29-Dec-15
If I was only day hunting from a base camp or truck hunting the 15x would be with me for sure. On backpack trips they mostly stay home.

29-Dec-15
If you don't already have them, I would get a tripod setup for your 10x42 binos first! I finally invested in it a year ago- I have the outdoorsman tripod with pan and pistol grip. They installed the bolt into my swaro EL so I have a quick release.

I seriously can spot twice as much twice as far.

If you end up with 15X56 you will need to mount them on a tripod to effectively use them anyway. Otherwise you are just carrying extra weight over your 10x42.

29-Dec-15
From my experience, if you place the 15 power on a rock steady tripod, you will be ok. Hand holding will be an issue. I would surely try them out first hand before purchasing them and I mean outside and not just in the store. Even 12 powers might be more that one can handle, handheld, effectively. I have mounted my 10 powers to a tripod when Coues deer hunting, and that really allows one to pick apart the landscape with more clarity.

I also only use my 10x42 for the vast majority of my big game hunting here in Colorado and very seldom use my 20x60 spotting scope unless for pronghorn or Couse WT in Arizona. Here in Colorado I am usually hunting in forests without much long range spotting. That might be different in Wyo or Montana or states that have more open landscapes.

29-Dec-15
7-8 years ago we were hunting the SD badlands and one guy had 12x. I simply could not hold them steady enough to use effectively. 15's are purely for tripod use.

29-Dec-15
Too Heavy for my taste. I see guys use them on them there TV hunts from a pickup. But I have hunted the West and Mountains and it is best keep gear light for hiking several miles. I also put my money into a better spotting scope and that gave me the better advantage, especilly at low light with an 88mm objective. If you want them for the truck, i would still stick with a better quality spotting scope. IMHO

29-Dec-15
If you have the funds then yes I would buy.

What obj is your spotter?

I looked long and hard at getting a set of 10's and 15's but ended up getting just 12's

a tripod is a must as others have said, I think the 10, 15 and spotter is a good line up, let the hunt and situation dictate what you carry

29-Dec-15
My spotter is a Swaro 80 HD.

I understand that 15's require a tripod and don't intend to use them without one. These would be an addition to the 10's that are always on my neck. My main concern is buying them to find out that I rarely use them. Just trying to get some input from those running a 10, 15, spotter line up as to how much use the 15's get and if they are happy they made the purchase.

29-Dec-15
15x56 Swaro's are pretty heavy so they usually stay close to the truck, horse or atv. BUT when mounted on a quality tripod they are awesome for long range glassing.

I only use them a few days a year though, just too heavy to ride in the pack all the time.

29-Dec-15
I have the same set up (Swarovski 10x42 el, 15x56 and 20-60 spotter) and love my 15s. I use them all the time. I agree that strict backpack hunts are not a great time for them, but I have taken my 15s on trips to Canada and Alaska where I have a base camp. I may not take all three out from camp everyday, but it is amazing the difference between my 10s and 15s. I would highly recommend getting a quick connect setup for all your optics that make it easy to attach to your tripod. I use the outdoorsman and have one of the adaptors attached to each optic at all times. It takes only a few second to change between each.

I found the 15s on sale for about $700 off a couple years ago. You might get lucky and find another sale like that

29-Dec-15
I think 10s and 15's is a good combo to have. I couldn't have both so I met in the middle with 12x50's

29-Dec-15
I pretty much am a "trophy hunter" so NEVER leave home without my spotter! I hunt mostly open country and often spot game with 10x binos and use the spotting scope to field judge. When judging game with a spotter I can usually judge whether an antelope buck has 5 or 6" prongs, a mt goat has 9 or 9 1/2" horns, a muley buck has 2 or 3" brows, etc....I don't think you would be able to do that at long range with 15x?

If you only have 10x binos + 15X binos and hunt open country you will likely have trouble field judging game at longer distance. I bet you will likely find yourself wondering why the heck you didn't bring your spotter? I can't see any advantage for using 15x binos other than spotting game such as coues deer at long range. Once you spot game with 15x you'll likely need your spotter or need to hike closer to get close enough to field judge them with 15x? I spot game pretty darn well with 10x binos that I can hand hold and carry around my neck. If you have the $ it may help a little having 15x to spot game at super long range but you will have to lug them around and need your spotter for judging....that's my 2 cent common sense opinion!

30-Dec-15

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
I purchased a pair of 15x56 Vortex Vulture HD's for a Coues hunt this past season. For the price they were sufficient. They are no Swaros but for like $500 you cant really go wrong.

It really depends on how often you are going to use them and your budget.

It helped me spot this buck from 900 yards away...(rifle kill) lol

30-Dec-15
As stated, try putting your 10x on a tripod and you'll be amazed.

Pretty tough to justify carrying 10x and 15x on a backpack hunt. That would most likely mean you'd leave your spotting scope behind.

I'd personally stick with 10x and spotting scope, using the 10x on tripod any time you're glassing from a fixed location for any length of time.

30-Dec-15
I used 15x binos for a couple years until I got my 65mm Swarovski spotter, and that's all I use to glass with anymore. I would take the 15's with me, but I found myself always gravitating towards my spotter instead, and I was just carrying the extra weight to my glassing spots and not using them.

As a side note, I hunt in areas where the bulk of the animals I spot are between 2 and 5 miles away, so the extra magnification I get from the spotter gives a big advantage over the binos. If most of your glassing is going to be inside 2 miles or so, the 15's are nice because they give you a wider field-of-view, but I found that for my hunting area, the spotter helped me pick up a lot more animals (and sheds) than I was seeing with just the binos. I no longer own my 15's for these reasons.

30-Dec-15
I live an die by either the 12x50s or 15x56's.

I'd rather have my big glass on a tripod than a hand held pair.

That being said, I hunt a lot of bigger country and do both rifle and archery.

30-Dec-15
I have the Nikon Monarch 5 in 16x56. I can hold them reasonably steady for most glassing. Other times I just place them on a rock or against a tree. My tripod just adds too much bulk for day hikes. Actually prefer them over a spotter as my eyes don't tire as quickly using both objectives. For 99% of my hunting they work great. Small enough I can throw them in my daypack for times my 10x are just not enough. Price point was good and I compared them against several others in the field and felt the optical clarity was pretty good.

30-Dec-15
I didn't read through all the previous posts so forgive me me if any of this is a repeat....

For hunting I run my 10x42's on my chest and always have my 20x56 Vortex Kaibabs in my pack. For scouting I use my 85mm spotter. I started running the 20x binos last year because they are lighter than the spotter and i rarely use the spotter about 20x anyway. As was said glassing from a tripod is a must! The 20x are a lot more comfortable to glass with because your using both eyes vs 1 with the spotter.

04-Jan-16
What he said.

05-Jan-16
I have Swarovski 10's, 15's, the 65mm HD spotter and an old Leupold 25x spotter. Depending on the hunting area, they are all very useful.

I will not leave home without my 10's. They are necessary. With them on the tripod, I feel like I find about 2x more critters. You may want to get an adaptor for your 10's and try that out first. If I am really limiting weight, I go with the 10's and my old straight 25x Leupold spotter.

I tend to use the 15's on a tripod a lot for Coues deer and open country mule deer. They work great for finding deer. However, the spotting scope is always right there to tell if the animal is worth going after.

This last year I did not have my spotting scope on my elk hunt in WY and really felt crippled trying to judge bulls and see if they had all their points or not at long distances. I did have the 15's and a doubler, but it was not enough.

I also did a backpack Coues hunt and had all my big optics for some very tough backpack hunting. Really was thinking I overdid it when I got my deer and had to pack out with all those pounds of optics plus a deer. Next time I do that kind of hunt, I will go without the 15's but will want my 65mm spotter. Glad those are little deer!!!

05-Jan-16
I like the Swaro 10x42 binos and 20-60x65 mm HD spotter for sheep hunting, and wide open country glassing for deer, grizzlies, etc. Locate them.........then figure out if they are legal, the quality you want, etc.

Similar to Treeline, I like having a variety of optics, (just like boots, clothes, etc). Besides the Swaro mainstays mentioned above, I have Leica 8x32 Ultravid binos that get a lot of use, a straight 20X Leupold spotter that is decent plus a 13-30x50 Nikon ED50 that is optically very good and great to carry. None of these are used on hunts where the glassing is super long....miles away at times.

I also own a pair of 15X Leica Geovid HDs that my brothers have on almost permanent loan for long range rifle shooting. They are great on the tripod near the truck or RZR in AZ but I wouldn't want to backpack them in the back country on a 10 day hunt! Optically they are wonderful, but just not high enough powered to judge horns or antlers at super long range.

05-Jan-16
I have the 15x56 and think you will be glad to have them. Mine are used almost daily this time of year during late Mz here in Iowa. Most of the action is low light and really helps to judge and be sure. For elk hunting in open country they are hard to beat. Not sure I would carry them on a back pack hunt.

05-Jan-16
Vortex 15x56 binos seem like a ton around my neck....but...Vortex 15x50 binos are 1/2 the price (or less) and 1/2 the weight (it seems) and I can barely tell the difference....When you are sitting on a rock with the glass on a tripod...who cares?...but when you hike a few hours to get to that rock....I care !!

Joe

P.S. I just bought some Vortex diamondback 12x50s for $199 that included a cool flashlight, $25 gift certificate, and a vortex bino holder from B&H Cameras in New York....nice compromise I think....

05-Jan-16
You have quite a few different opinions here. Find what you like and enjoy your time looking through them.

--Bill

05-Jan-16
Well said WFG.....

Joe

• Sitka Gear