wildwilderness 06-Jan-16
wildwilderness 06-Jan-16
wildwilderness 06-Jan-16
CSAL 06-Jan-16
wildwilderness 06-Jan-16
IdyllwildArcher 06-Jan-16
deerman406 06-Jan-16
30-Dec-15
I would like to start hunting Mule deer. I have hunted Whitetails my whole life and want to try something new.

I hunt northeast Kansas for two weeks usually from roughly Nov. 7th to the 21st. I would like to hunt mulies either the week before or the week after my Kansas hunt.

Im looking for something that would be DIY. I don't mind paying a trespass fee for access to some decent land but am not interested in a guided hunt. Im looking at doing this not this coming season but the season afterwards. Im in decent shape and don't mind a lot of walking if need be. I'd like to try to stay within a 12 hour drive from northeast Kansas.

I'd be happy with a chance at something in the 150in range. This would be a bow hunt as well.

Any information you can give me as far as a state to look at or unit to look at that I could get an OTC tag or have a good possibility to draw a tag would be much appreciated. Also any advice on how to hunt mule deer in general would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first time.

30-Dec-15
Any interest in hunting mule deer in Kansas?

30-Dec-15
You need points for most good areas?

30-Dec-15

Quinn @work's embedded Photo
Quinn @work's embedded Photo
CSAL,

Western KS has some of the best muley hunting I've ever done. Drawing the muley stamp has about 10%-25% odds depending on what unit. Western KS has some good walk in land. You just need to cyber scout the areas and then take a ride out there. Look for canyons or cut up pastures with milo, corn or wheat fields nearby. Put on the miles, spend a lot of time behind the binoc's and spotting scope and you'll be able to find and pattern them. Don't be afraid to knock on doors. The above buck is a KS Walk In Muley.

30-Dec-15
Agree on NW Kansas, I hunted there this year and saw a lot of good mule deer on some of the walk in areas. The guy staying next to me at the motel I was at was a Kansas resident and he shot a mid 140" mule deer on walk in land. Shawn

30-Dec-15
Is says CSAL if from New York, NOT KS. I assume he is coming out to hunt Kansas and wanted to add on a mule deer hunt before or after.

Most Western state have Archery season early, Aug- Sept.

The later dates into Nov are hard to get tags for and they are usually "general season" tags so mainly rifle hunters.

Eastern CO has some plains hunts around that time. Would need private land. (these are relatively expensive since big bucks are killed every year)

Just go in Sept, and see some elk while you are out. watch out though, you'll forget about deer once you hear a bull bugle!

KS for a NR is tough to get a muley tag. Have to draw a deer tag first then put in for a muley stamp with low draw odds. Also you could only shoot 1 buck so there goes the whitetail hunt!

30-Dec-15
It may be just a bit farther than 12 hours but Arizona has the early Aug-Sept archery hunts and then again in Dec-Jan. Most units are OTC. The late hunt is a rut hunt in most areas and the big bucks seem to come out of the woodwork not to mention some of the best weather in the lower 48. And lots of public land. Access is seldom an issue anywhere.

150 is certainly doable and many guys pass on bucks that size chasing the bigger ones.

30-Dec-15
I would look at Wyoming lots of public land lots of bucks in the 150 range also some of the mountain hunts in Colorado. NW Nebraska has some good walk in hunting and good numbers of bucks. Southern Arizona this time of year is a blast with tons of public land and lots of good bucks. You don't need to pay a trespass fee in my opinion most of the biggest bucks in west live on public land.

31-Dec-15
What states have mule deer hunts in November?

Also a 150" buck in an OTC unit, public land, with a bow during rifle season with no previous experience? Really?

Your best bet is to find an outfitter if you must hunt in Nov.

Many other options if you go early, still most are on a draw system so you need to apply starting in Feb depending on states. AZ is really the only later option in Jan and it OTC.

31-Dec-15
He didn't say anything about January. He said the week before or after his hunt in November and within 12 hours of NW KS. And he can't hunt KS if he's already hunting a KS WT tag.

That means your options are basically eastern MT, western NE, eastern CO which you'll have to draw (might be possible with 1 point if you're doing this next year, but you'll need to get a PP this year and find an outfitter or trespass, or SD. You're not going to draw a November tag in WY unless you've got a ton of deer points already.

31-Dec-15
You could get an Archery buck tag via the General draw in Utah and then hunt the Wasatch Front bow only dates with in your Nov. hunting desired dates.

Good luck, Robb

31-Dec-15
X2 what idyllwild said.

31-Dec-15
Generally speaking, how are the mulie numbers in the area of Northwest SD, Northeast WY and Southeast MT? I know the numbers were down a few years ago. Have they recovered much? I really like the spot and stalk type of hunting in the breaks/badlands/butte country.

31-Dec-15
Yeah I'm coming from NY( I think from a previous post I read that I live right down the road from deerman406.lol) I will be hunting whitetails in Kansas and it would save me a lot of time and money to be able to tie the mule deer hunt onto my whitetail hunt as I will have already driven across half the country.

I'm not against hunting with my bow during an open gun season(I do it here in NY). I realize it will decrease my odds of success but I'd like to start learning something about mulies while I try to build up some preference points to hunt some better areas in the future.

To be honest I don't even really expect to be successful but I need to start learning and gaining some experience hunting out there and for mulies in general. I just look at it like if I am going to save up the extra money to go and put in the effort I would at least like to know that I am in an area that holds some respectable bucks so I can watch them run away from me while I probably make every rookie mistake there is.

Eastern Colorado is something I would definitely be interested in. Actually Colorado In general really interests me as my Dad hunted mulies there with a rifle in the late 70's, just outside of Grand Junction. His stories sound awesome and it's something I would like to experience eventually. He went with a guide but I don't want to that route so I have a lot of learning to do.

31-Dec-15
Grand Junction is the bomb when it comes to Mule Deer. Kansas has been good but is in a downhill slide and has been for about ten years. It is getting so bad very few doe tags are even available now. Central Nebraska has some which would only be about 5 hours away if you can draw a tag in Kansas to hunt there.

31-Dec-15
DCW...numbers are still down significantly in NW SD but they are recovering slowly.

31-Dec-15
Everybody and their brother tries for muleys in KS. Some of our best on here try every year and often come back empty

31-Dec-15
CO divides their state into two halves along I-25. The west 1/2 has a bow season that runs along elk season in September. The eastern half has a triple split season in Oct, Nov, and Dec. You'd probably want to hunt there after your WT hunt or else you're going to lose the best early WT dates hunting the CO opener in Nov.

Your other option would be to hunt 3rd rifle (western CO) or early rifle (eastern CO) with a bow before your WT hunt. Personally, I wouldn't.

Ask Jaquomo about the best dates to hunt eastern CO. Much of the midwest/northern rockies have a MD rut that runs just a tad later than the WT rut, but much of it is far later.

The eastern 1/2 is mostly plains/private property.

If you're looking for a MD hunt in November, I'd look to eastern CO if I were willing to spend the big $, and I'd abandon CO altogether if not and look at NE, MT, or SD; all of which have public land to hunt.

NE, you'd want to hunt before your WT hunt during archery. MT and SD you're going to be hunting with the rifle guys, but at least you won't be concentrated in a short rifle season in MT or SD like you will in CO.

01-Jan-16
Eastern CO has good mule deer, but very limited access. About anywhere out there with public access will take more points to draw.

You might want to contact some outfitters that work eastern CO and see what they would charge. You could spend a lot of time and money over a lot of years poking around out there to get a chance at a decent buck and you might be money ahead to go the outfitter route.

The mountain units have more public access with NF and BLM. Hunts are in September, though.

Western Kansas can be really good, but if you are focusing on whitetails on the east side, it is not an option.

You might consider looking into western Nebraska. There is some public land over there.

01-Jan-16
I hunt Colorado every other year if I can now and have good luck. I think they manage their state very well for them in certain areas

03-Jan-16
AZ mule deer numbers are way down. Bowhunter success in Dec-Jan. is around 5% overall. 1 out of 20 gets a buck and figure half those are small. Just the facts.

04-Jan-16
I've hunted whitetails in Rifle season and it is very different than Western muleys on Public land on a General unit. Like a war zone with orange clad shooters on every ridge with the newest "2000 Yard rifle" blasting away at anything that moves within a mile! If you are putting a stalk on a buck be prepared to have someone shoot over your head! On a limited/hard draw unit you would have a chance, but getting the tag is hard.

I don't think you will find "good" public land mule deer hunting within 12 hrs of NE KS on a general/easy draw tag in Nov. of course anyone can get lucky.

For a DIY hunt, on public, with a easy tag to draw that will allow you to hunt in NOVEMBER every year and decent deer numbers would be like Robb mentioned on the Extended Archery hunts in Utah. you would need to draw any general archery NR tag in March.

04-Jan-16
Thanks for all the info guys. I will keep researching and see what I can find. It sounds like my options would open up quite a bit if I made it two separate trips and hunted mule deer in sept. I'm sure I will be having more questions to ask!

05-Jan-16
Nebraska would work for you as well. Thornton does not want NR guys hunting Kansas the way it sounds. I know if I had a tag, and could make the shot I would kill a nice muley in Kansas. I had a couple over 150" mulies within easy bow range while I was out there. Shawn

05-Jan-16
Deerman406, shooting a 150" Mule Deer is like shooting a 125" Whitetail let those guys grow. Most good Mule deer will score a lot higher given the chance to get some age on them.

05-Jan-16
I would also suggest that people go study Mule deer mounts to get a really good idea on what to look for. Most guys know what a good Whitetail looks like or at least have an idea. Most hunters new to the Mule Deer world shoot a 2.5 year old buck thinking it was bigger and older, yes they will have bigger bodies in most cases so the best way is to look at the face and know how to really judge a rack as they are very misleading.

05-Jan-16
That brings up an interesting problem as well. I'm pretty good at scoring whitetails but have so little experience looking at mulies outside of the big ones you see pics posted of that I'm not to sure I could accurately score one on the hoof. I guess I need to start looking at more pics of them.

05-Jan-16
Find a sporting goods store/hunting store that has a lot of mounts. I spent a day in KC at Cabelas in their Mule Deer museum to learn what a really good Mule Deer looks like.

05-Jan-16
Disclaimer: I've not killed loads of big mulies like several guys on this site, but I've scared a bunch of them away :) and spend a lot of time staring at them after season closes and they migrate down to my yard :(

It's still the main fundamentals: Tine length, width, and mass. 2 year old mulies have shorter tines, narrower-tighter racks, and thinner antlers just like WTs, although sometimes, it seems all you have to go on is mass, but if you know what good mass is on a WT main beam, then you're going to know what good mass is on a mulie main beam.

Going to Cabelas is a good idea. Look at BB's photos. He has tons of pics of 4+ year old mulies.

Or you could do what I do and shoot whatever looks tasty :)

05-Jan-16
If you can't judge by antlers, judge by body.

There's no mistaking a mature mule deer for a 2 1/2 year old.

It's like comparing a SEC linebacker to that skinny little guy playing the trumpet in the marching band.

You have options for your time frame and location, if you want them.

It's your permit, your time, your money, your desires...shoot what you'd be happy with.

This will probably be far different hunting than you're used to in NY or Kansas, so enjoy the experience, more than the antler size.

Make a good shot, and I about promise you're going to enjoy the venison, too.

Keep us posted, please.

05-Jan-16
"Most hunters new to the Mule Deer world shoot a 2.5 year old buck thinking it was bigger and older..."

I don't know, but I'd guess, that the #1 slaughtered wild animal demographic in this country is the 2.5 year old WT. I doubt any animal of any age catches more arrows, bolts, and bullets every year.

05-Jan-16
Here's another test that works and it works for WT and MD:

When you first lay eyes on it and think, "ooo, that's a nice one, I wonder how big he is. Should I shoot him or not?" Then it's a 2.5 year old.

Or, if when you first lay eyes on it and you think, "MARY MOTHER OF JESUS LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT HORSE!" Then it's probably 4 or better.

05-Jan-16

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
My comment about a 2 1/2 old Mule deer is the guys who have never hunted them much will not know the difference because body size of a 2 1/2 old Mule Deer. Here is an example.

06-Jan-16
If you end up paying for a LO voucher/trespass/outfitted hunt then you should learn what a 150" buck looks like and hold out.

However, if you are going for a learning experience on public land general/OTC hunt then don't get too picky about passing a legal buck! Just attempting a stalk is very educational.

06-Jan-16

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
this buck should make 150 gross. look for width at least to its ears. and tines twice as tall.

06-Jan-16

This one may just squeak by around 145 gross.

06-Jan-16

Really need to look for 4 points as well for symmetry. Only a big old 3 pt has a chance at 150" like this one.

06-Jan-16
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I may take a ride to Cabelas and take a look at some of their mounts. I know there can be a big difference between looking at pics and actually seeing the antlers.

Looking at BB's pics is one of the things that really got me interested in trying to hunt mule deer. The last thread he posted from Utah was unbelievable.

Am I right in thinking that mule deer have quite a bit bigger body then WT in general?

06-Jan-16

This picture is a good comparison between a trophy buck and a smaller one.

06-Jan-16
"Am I right in thinking that mule deer have quite a bit bigger body then WT in general?"

Depends on where you're hunting MD and where you're hunting WT.

06-Jan-16
Matt, I did not say that I would of shot those 150" mule deer. I said the OP prospects would be good for that type of deer where I hunted. Hell I would rather kill a 160" whitetail than a 180" Mulie but that may just be me. I also saw a few mule deer well over 180"s and watch a guy stalk one close to 200"s and than blow a 35 yard shot out where I was hunting. I will continue to try and draw a mule deer tag for NW kansas but will be happy shooting big whitetails til I do. Shawn

• Sitka Gear