Contributors to this thread:
Scoot 07-Jan-16
ben yehuda 07-Jan-16
FullCryHounds 07-Jan-16
Scoot 07-Jan-16
Lucas 18-Sep-16
Doubleforky 18-Sep-16
07-Jan-16
I forgot to ask this question when I did the lion hunt thread, but I'm still curious so I'll ask it. The cat I shot was missing a patch of fur under his chin on his upper neck in front (wish I would have taken a picture, but I somehow forgot). At first we thought it was from the fall he took out of the tree when I first shot him, but after looking at it closer we didn't think that was it. It was an area about 4"x4" (give or take) about where a person's Adam's apple would be. It looked pinkish and fleshy, but also like a wound that was scarring over. Ryan, the friend who we hunted with, thought it was most likely from a rattle snake bite. Thoughts?

07-Jan-16
I had a dog when I was young that was snakebite on the throat (I thought copperhead at the time). After all the swelling died down the hair fell out of a patch a about that size (4x4) and the skin was kind of scaly.

07-Jan-16
Could be from a snake bite. Another possibility is from a porcupine. About 25% of the lions I mount have quills in their chest and front legs. Lions love to eat porcupines and will often get swatted. If they get enough quills in an area, that entire area will get some infection and all the hair will sluff off leaving bare skin until the hair grows back.

07-Jan-16
Thanks guys- those are the two hypotheses we came up with too (forgot to mention porkies in the original post). I saw no sign of quills, but I assume eventually they come out. If I had to guess I'd say it was a porky because the area still looked pretty fleshy and moist, not scaly like ben Yehuda mentioned (suggesting an older injury-- this assumes there haven't been snakes out for a while since we were there in Dec.)

18-Sep-16
Anyone else see the lion on the Pope and Young site this week? Really dark!

18-Sep-16

• Sitka Gear