Medicinemann 16-Jan-16
Nick Muche 16-Jan-16
Medicinemann 16-Jan-16
HDE 16-Jan-16
muley505 16-Jan-16
Medicinemann 16-Jan-16
Ermine 16-Jan-16
16-Jan-16
I will be in Texas in late August/early September of 2016. While I am out there, I would like to try to slide over to New Mexico and do a little pronghorn bowhunting. I may have a cousin with a ranch over that way (I texted him tonight, and hope to have details soon).

I can figure out the unit, etc,. once I get the specifics from my cousin.....but my initial question are.....how difficult is it to draw a NR pronghorn tag in NM? Are some units tough to draw? Are several preference point required? Just trying to get a feel for the probability of getting a tag.....and when does the application date for NR applications begin in 2016?

Do javelina come to the water holes like antelope?....or do they usually get most of their moisture from their diet? Are they in season when antelope are in season?I would probably prefer to hunt javelina in spot and stalk mode, but am curious if they'd run off antelope near water, if they show up at the same time....

I'll take any help that I can get.....thank you in advance....

16-Jan-16
Just buy a land owner tag.

16-Jan-16
Nick,

How does that work? If I don't own any land, does my cousin buy the tag? Is it assignable?

16-Jan-16
Best thing to do is to read the NM rules and regs on the website.

www.wildlife.state.nm.us

16-Jan-16
Probably the best thing to do would be to familiarize yourself with the NM Game Proclamation and draw odds summary that are available at the website listed above.

The draw odds aren't great, but they aren't terrible either for the NR archery hunts if that's what you're looking for. The caveat is that there are only certain units that have the archery tags available, and if your cousin's land isn't in one of those units, you'd be tasked with finding suitable hunting land elsewhere. If your cousin is part of the A-Plus program, I'd just see if you can get a landowner voucher from him as that would be your easiest means of getting a tag. The A-Plus program allows landowners to apply for vouchers that can then be used, given away (the best option in your case) =), or sold to help manage the wildlife on their particular land. There is an application process that is outlined on the NMDGF website. If the landowner is given the vouchers by game and fish, they can then be converted to a tag by whomever they are sold/given to.

NM does not have a point system, so everyone is pretty much in the same boat in the draw. The draw is open now, and it closes on March 23.

As to the javelina question, there are a couple problems with trying to hunt them concurrently with pronghorn, the biggest of which is that the pronghorn seasons are scattered from August through October (depending on weapon choice), and the javelina seasons are January through March (again, depending on weapon and unit choice). The other problem is that the bulk of the pronghorns in NM are located in areas that aren't very likely to have javelinas (as they have pretty significantly different tastes in habitat), but that's a bit of a moot point as the seasons don't coincide.

The bottom line is that you won't be able to hunt javelina and pronghorn simultaneously, and your best way of getting a pronghorn tag would be through the A-Plus program (providing that your cousin is enrolled in it). Kind of a long-winded answer, but I hope that helps a little.

16-Jan-16
Thanks for the info and the links to get me started....

16-Jan-16
Want to take me along? ;)

• Sitka Gear