Ibow 19-Feb-16
skull 19-Feb-16
Ibow 19-Feb-16
Canuck 20-Feb-16
spike buck 20-Feb-16
Alexis Desjardins 21-Feb-16
Alexis Desjardins 21-Feb-16
16-Jan-16
Does anyone know if its been made official? I read somewhere it was supoosed to be announced around now but can't seem to find anything on it. Every theing is written future tense.

16-Jan-16
Yes but only in select units. I read it online.

16-Jan-16
Laurie Marcil, the executive director Of N.O.T.O., said the official announcement will be in 2 weeks for sure.

Spring bear will be throughout Ontario.

She says Ontario will have a spring hunt in 2016. Told me and other outfitters to take bookings but not deposits until the official announcement.

I think the Nipigon bridge failure has put a delay on the announcement.

Looks like Ontario has a spring hunt!!!

19-Jan-16
Hi Chris, it's Harold from Southern Ontario. Hope that you are well!

Keep us up to date re any changes to bating rules. I will try to call OFAH today and ask what they are hearing for the timing of the announcement.

best regards

Canuck

19-Jan-16
Harold, I will post as I find the info out through NOTO. I am in Missouri right now but keeping updated. I have a feeling they will leave baiting alone.

It will be nice having the first spring hunt in 18 years!!!

20-Jan-16
I was up there for the last Spring Hunt. Gun hunting back then. I saw 11 different bears. Had several shot ops on representative bears shots I should have taken since I hadn't killed a bear at that time. I was waiting on a giant like a guy killed the first evening. Came home empty handed. Everyone else filled their tags on decent bears. It would be neat to be there the first year they opened it back up.

20-Jan-16
When will the spring hunting season begin and end ?

20-Jan-16
I'm in Ontario as well.. I'd definitely like to get in on some bear hunting.

Please keep the thread updated if there's any news!

Cheers

20-Jan-16
May 1rst to june 15th.

20-Jan-16
Thanks spike just trying to figure out what week i want to head up

20-Jan-16
I was also their on the last spring hunt. Killed a decent boar that scored right at 18". Good to see it finally reopened. There should be some good bears around now.

21-Jan-16
Chris, It was great to meet you tonight at the Kansas City Sports Show. Hope my son and I can make it work for the Spring Hunt. Should know by tomorrow sometime and I'll give you a call. Jeff

22-Jan-16
Jeff, you and your son are booked and will be our first spring bear hunters in 18 years. Going to be a good one!!!

25-Jan-16
Spring buck, where are you located? Should be some big bears around you think?

08-Feb-16
I checked with the Ministry Feb 8th still no decision made they are still reviewing the idea. Told not to take any bookings yet.

08-Feb-16
That's not what Laurie Marcil of Northern Ontario Outfitters Association says. There will be a spring hunt!!! Talked to NOTO on Friday. They will slip it in without an announcement. Be patient Lydia!!

When they opened the non resident deer hunt here in wmu #8 the OMNR never announced it. Just wrote it into the regulation hand book. Had to read it for self or never knew there was a season. OMNR district office did not even know of the NR deer season!!!

They are just tying up loose ends.

09-Feb-16
Hi Chris, did they limit baiting, do you know?

09-Feb-16
Harold, on Friday I talked to our outfitter association about the spring hunt. Anita of NOTO assured me there will be a spring hunt. That's after Laurie Marcil, the executive director, also told me there will be a hunt.

The details of the spring hunt is most likely slowing down the announcement. I know that Bill Mauro contacted us, through NOTO, for our thoughts on the baiting aspects of the hunt. They are, according to NOTO, taking our ideas and implementing them into the spring hunt.

NOTO has been in constant contact with the Ministers office. I have my faith in NOTO!!

19-Feb-16
Hey All, Full Spring nonresident Bear Hunt is back in Ontario! Chris is at a show and is taking bookings! Give him a call!

19-Feb-16
Yes there is a spring hunt for 2016. Pine Acres is booked for 2016.

THOUSAND LAKES OUTPOSTS (Ontario) has bear hunts and is a great sponsor of bowsite. Give him a call.

19-Feb-16
Great! Thanks for the update. Do we know when the official announcement will be publicized?

19-Feb-16
Committed to Sustainable Black Bear Management February 19, 2016 12:15 P.M.Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Ontario is expanding the spring bear hunting pilot to gather further information to assess concerns voiced by northern communities about human-bear conflicts, and to support economic growth and tourism in the north.

The spring bear hunt pilot expansion will include:

Extending the pilot by an additional five years, through 2020 All 88 wildlife management units that currently have a fall bear hunt Non-resident hunters. Under the expanded pilot, it will still be illegal to hunt bear cubs and females with cubs. Anyone convicted of this offence could face a fine of up to $25,000 and up to one year imprisonment. In most cases, each licensed hunter will only be allowed to hunt one bear in each calendar year.

Baiting of bears during all bear hunting seasons will be regulated to help address public safety concerns, including:

Bait must not be placed within 500 metres of a residence unless written permission is obtained from the residence's owner Bait must not be placed within 500 metres of a public building Bait must not be placed within 200 metres of a right of way for public vehicle traffic or a marked public recreational trail. Quick Facts Ontario is home to a healthy and sustainable black bear population with up to 105,000 black bears living in the province. The spring bear hunt pilot will take place from May 1 through June 15, starting in 2016 and ending in 2020. Currently across Canada, each province and territory with black bears has a spring and fall bear hunt except Nova Scotia, which only has a fall hunt. For 2014 and 2015, Ontario held a two-year bear management pilot program in eight wildlife management units, all of which reported high levels of human-bear conflict. The hunt was open to Ontario residents from May 1 to June 15. Communities in and around these units include Timmins, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie and North Bay.

19-Feb-16
For official announcement release go to "Nature and Outdoor tourism Ontario" web site. google NOTO.

Phone 1-705-472-5552 ask for Laurie Marcil executive director.

19-Feb-16
Does this mean the proposed restrictions re baiting in the original proposal have also been lifted and baiting will be as it was prior to the end of the spring hunt?

19-Feb-16
No beating restriction

19-Feb-16
Finally, after all these years, great news! Thanks Skull!

20-Feb-16
There were a few very minor new baiting items, mostly distance from public walkways trails etc. Nothing substantive (IMHO)and especially good is not limit to when you can start bating, how much and leaving it out etc. Good luck to spike buck aka Chris! Hope you have a great year.

20-Feb-16
Thanks Canuck. Great to see they listened to the ebr comments on baiting.

There is a EBR on the new wolf regs up now. Hope many comment on them.

****Thanks to all who sent in an EBR comment on the Spring hunt!!

I wish all sponsors of bowsite, Canada wide, a AWESOME spring bear hunt!! Good luck to all.

21-Feb-16
I am glad common cense won the baiting back in Ontario , wish u the best Chris on your bear hunts this year. Thanks

21-Feb-16
I meant spring hunt.

• Sitka Gear