Buffalo1 26-Jan-16
Phil/VA 27-Jan-16
Dwayne 28-Jan-16
ahunter55 28-Jan-16
Dwayne 28-Jan-16
Phil/VA 29-Jan-16
25-Jan-16

Dwayne's Link
I couldn't find any reviews here so thought I would ask. Four of us are hunting there for five days starting Feb. 8th. Curious if others have hunted there and what their experiences were. It is SW of Odessa, TX.

Thanks!

Dwayne

25-Jan-16
Dwayne,

I hope you post a recap of how your hunt goes. We have 9 guys headed there about 3 weeks after your hunt! My first pig/ Javelina hunt.

Are you guys just pig hunting or are you hunting javis as well?

Good luck!

25-Jan-16
I was there last year and they run a fine camp. Lots of hogs, and javis too, although season was closed by the time I went.

Most of the hunting was at night around water holes. You'll be in the dark of the moon, so some type of light would be a good investment. I had a bow mounted light, but what really works great are some of the cheap solar powered landscape lights with a colored lens. (I made a lens for mine from a colored report folder from an office supply store.)

I didn't kill anything last year, but we had lost weather with snow and ice storm, plus I was sick with a bad cold and couldn't keep from coughing every 5 minutes while on stand. Just my rotten luck, but the hogs were there.

25-Jan-16
Looks like they kill some jumbo hogs!

How large is the ranch? Is it all high fenced?

Hope you have a great hunt

26-Jan-16
ki-ke

I think the ranch is over 120 sections or possibly more if I remember correctly. I think it's all free-range too.

26-Jan-16
I hunted there when Curtis 'little feather" Kellar ran it and John of Mule Creek was a paying customer maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Of all the places I've hog hunted in Texas it was my least favorite place. Sitting in a hole you dig on the side of the road you corned or a water tank all night isn't my idea of a good time hog hunting. I like to sneak hunt and you can do that with the Javi's but not so much with the pigs. The price is right but I'd rather get up early and walk all day looking for swine and I've have better ranches to do that at.

26-Jan-16
We are hunting hogs and Javi's.

The ranch is not high fence and is 60,000 acres.

Killinstuff, was it impossible to sneak hunt? I ask because that would be my preference also.

26-Jan-16

Phil/VA's embedded Photo
Phil/VA's embedded Photo
We hunted there when Curtis was running it. You can sneak hunt it if you can find where the pigs are bedded up during the day, but it's tough. You'll have a far better chance at pigs at night. Try corning the roads, setting up where you can watch the roads and when the pigs or javi's come out stalk them. Try to find a crossroads or T-intersection and corn the road for a couple hundred yards in each direction and set up in the intersection where you can watch the roads in each direction. Javi's may come out at any time, but pigs usually come out at last light.

26-Jan-16

Phil/VA's embedded Photo
Phil/VA's embedded Photo

26-Jan-16

Phil/VA's embedded Photo
Phil/VA's embedded Photo
Tracking a Javi.

26-Jan-16
Do you know the name of the ranch? I hunt a friend's ranch a couple of times a year that is in Crane County south of Odessa but I have never heard of this operation.

26-Jan-16
I believe it is the Looney Ranch.

26-Jan-16
Not a huge fan of night hunting.....love being out in the dark, but running arrows through live animals without the advantage of decent light for visual arrow placement and watching escape paths, make me believe wounding losses and losses in general, would go way up.

I like wild pork too much to take such chances.....

Must be the hunting culture of this particular ranch, as I've hunted pigs on a few others in South Texas and always had daytime oops at hogs, whether fed or S & S.

26-Jan-16
A couple weeks ago I was on a bridge that crossed over "Screaming Woman" Creek down in South Texas. Was I close to Looney Ranch?

27-Jan-16
Buffalo1, No, The Looney Ranch is near Crane in West Texas.

28-Jan-16
Thanks all. Guess we will just see how it goes. :)

28-Jan-16
Keep us posted with a recap when you return.

28-Jan-16
Will do.

29-Jan-16
Good luck on your hunt. I love hunting hogs at night. I've hunted several different ranches in Texas, and hunted at night on most of them. It's a long drive down from Virginia but my wife and I do it almost every year.

• Sitka Gear