Its your 3rd day of your elk hunt

You were working up a small ridge and heard a light bugle up ahead

You ease out to the edge of the timber and see elk 50yds away

Now what?

photo IMG_0207.jpg

01-Feb-16
damn photo links

01-Feb-16
Shoot the cow quartering away at 50 yards! What do I win? I guess if going for the bull I'll probably stay silent and try to ease back into the timber and closer on the downwind side. Maybe get a 30-40yard shot on the bull if he turns.

01-Feb-16
Depends on which way they are headed toward bedding.

Knowing where you are hunting and the kind of hunting pressure, he's highly unlikely to come running in to a call like in the Primos videos. So I'd hang on the edge of the herd since you have at least another hour of good wind.

01-Feb-16
Back out and go look for a bigger bull.

01-Feb-16
Back into the timber and out of sight. Let out a few calls cows and wait.

01-Feb-16
Wait to see if a shot develops. If they leave the park, I would swing around downwind and try to shadow the herd trying to figure out what kind of mood the bull is in. If he's hot, I would work in as close as possible before letting him have it with a bugle. If I can sneak in range on him, I won't make a sound.

Most likely I would end up busting a cow and send the herd into parts unknown.

01-Feb-16
My buddy took this pic so it's the real deal.

Elk hunting is all about the unknowns and this senario could very well happen to anyone hunting elk.

You prob don't have time to think about what to do, you better know what to do

01-Feb-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
You could come upon a scene as shown & described a 1/2 dozen times & all could turn out different! (grin) The elk could be positioned on a different part of the knob, weather could differ, wind being fickle, several bulls could be bugling & so on. Finding what will work for that day & encounter is what could fill the freezer. Some will take a cow others want a bull, some want a bigger bull depending on the tag in hand so strategies can change.

I came across a very similar situation a few years back where elk were entering a small open knob as shown, when I first saw the elk all were cows, 9 of them, I froze on the edge of the small meadow & fortunately the wind was in my face. I was exposed in plain sight, I had not seen them coming until it was too late so dropped carefully to a knee & didn't move a muscle. The cows ended up coming into the opening, a few stared me down at 15 yards sniffing the air wildly & staring but unsure of what I was. I didn't flinch & they started to feed & mingle, after 7-8 minutes I see this bull walk into the same spot the cows came through, he looked them over & walked amongst them, I was frozen & in disbelief I had not even been able to nock an arrow yet.

As the cows seemed occupied with his presence I slowly pulled an arrow out of the quiver, it seemed like it took an eternity, I nocked it without moving my head & looking at the string, it was harder than I thought it should have been! (grin) I got it nocked & slipped my 3 fingers under the arrow nock & waited. The bull walked away from the cows to my left & was aprox 28 yards. I hear a bull bugle from the timber a long ways off & this bull turned his head towards the bugle, that was my cue, I didn't even think about it, I drew instantly & let the shaft fly, the bull went 150 yards & piled up. This worked that day, I was fortunate.

ElkNut1

Funny thing was not one cow moved or was alerted at all until the bull ran out of sight! They could see me & my movement plain as day but were frozen for a few moments as it all unfolded!

01-Feb-16
Well I never had this type of scenario occur so not sure what I would do but thinking I would probably back out into the timber and try some light raking and if that didn't work I would rip off a bugle. Figure since I am close enough he probably will not just turn and run. He will have to protect his cows.

01-Feb-16
You're already busted by the cow on the right, herd isn't coming closer and will filter off the backside of the hill. If you're going to shoot, better do it quick.

01-Feb-16
Now what?

I'd be cursing poop in my pants.

01-Feb-16
WapitiBob, that cow would go back to feeding because she would see me feeding in my elk hat. Worst case she would come over to investigate if I asked her to come . Best case she would bring the bull with her.

Huntabsarokee, where cnelk is hunting, a little bull like that with that many cows isn't coming to fight anybody bugling aggressively. I'd say there's about a 50-50 chance the whole bunch takes off, or they just ignore it if there are other raghorns bugling around.

01-Feb-16
Think about what got you into this position in the first place.

It wasnt calling...

01-Feb-16
What Wapitibob said. You're already busted. If you're shooting , shoot now

01-Feb-16
Now what?

I'll tell you what I'd do, something stupid like trip on a log or sneeze and blow all the elk out of there...

01-Feb-16
Peeking over that rise with a Heads Up or behind another portable decoy like an Elk Mountain will do the same as an elk hat. Anymore, I have no problem letting elk see me. That's often when the fun starts.

01-Feb-16
I attempt the worlds first 50yd frontal shot ;)

01-Feb-16
It's day 3 lets not spook the herd out....slink back to cover and see how this plays out....maybe they feed this way....if not I can see where they move off to and try and ambush tomorrow.

01-Feb-16
I'm with Surfbow. After how last year went, I'd probably wait until the bull walked in front of a 3mm branch and shoot the branch, deflecting my arrow into never-never land. Or I would have forgotten to knock an arrow so I'd be standing there with my d*#$ in my hand waiting for 'em to bolt.

01-Feb-16
Knock an arrow, get ready and see what happens. I would not call at all at this point. I don't think you're busted yet. The cows on right are not looking at you. They're looking above to your right at whatever the bull is looking at.

01-Feb-16
Is the cow at 50 yards? Or is the bull at 50 yards?

My first impression is that there's several eyes pointing my way so I'm pegged already by 1/2 the herd. I've got 5-10 seconds before they start filtering away. It's either shoot now unless I had my elk butt decoy up already. I'd pull at a branch a few times, kick a rock, and pull some grass from the ground from behind the decoy and see if they believed me.

I think there's a big difference in shooting at an elk that's looking for you versus looking at you not knowing what you are. If they're looking for an elk, I'd take the shot at 50. If they have you pegged and don't know what you are, that's Jump-the-string City and I won't take that shot farther than 40 yards.

01-Feb-16
Yep, agree with Bob

01-Feb-16
Seems to me that little bull has too many cows!

There has to be a bigger bull around, and It's possible that's what the other cows are looking at down the hill.

Either that or another hunter is on his way to ruin your morning hunt.

Wind slightly left to right, up the hill. Either stay on top of these elk, and get it done quickly or work down and see what's down below.

01-Feb-16
I'd see if my money spent on scent control pays off. Back up into the timber and hook right to try an flank them. Let out a couple of cow calls if I'm going to be making noise just to let them know I'm one of them. Maybe he's greedy and the cow calls will bring him in. But that wouldn't be the primary plan. If they're moving my way id pick a tree and park it there.

If this isn't my last day and I know they come here often I might chance it and wait until the evening, or the next day to set up an ambush.I can't justify a shot at that crowd from here. Might end up with a bad shot, or a pass through resulting in multiple wounded animals.

Seeing as he's got a whole harem to choose from, I assume a call wouldn't bring the bull off that herd. A bugle just might make him round them up to leave.

01-Feb-16
Here is the next pic...

Now what.... x2

photo IMG_0206.jpg

01-Feb-16
If that bull walks past the bush on the right where it's clean behind him. I'd take that shot. Wait for the left cow staring at me to look away, as well as the one on the right.

Unless I'm already on the right side of them. Then I'd just have to see how that played out haha.

01-Feb-16
Right now, I would have ranged the bull already, and be coming to full draw.

At full draw, once that bull presents a broadside shot with no risk of hitting another elk, the missile is on its way!

Good Thread!

Mark

01-Feb-16
No real change from the 1st photo for me. I would have waited patiently next to the tree I was by once I first spotted them. I knew elk were there because of the light bugle that was heard before I got to look over the edge. Waiting patiently looks like it would pay off according to your 2nd photo if I were after "any bull".

I would not have done anything in the form of calling or trying to flash a decoy, no sense in giving my self away to them & alerting my presence especially with good wind & concealment.

With a group still that large in an OTC pressured unit & the one bull in the 1st photo hard horned I'd guess it was pre-rut, late Aug to 1st week in Sept otherwise the group would be quite a bit smaller. That group should start to separate in smaller groups as they hook up with other prospective bulls. Too, with only the single bugle heard by cnelk & no other bulls bugling with that large a group it shows there's no rutting action or hot cows there, another pre-rut sign.

Bugling or cow calling while on the crest of the hill has very low odds of success there, I'm waiting them out for a shot opportunity. If they hear anything it would be a nervous grunt to stop the elk I wanted for a shot if needed!

ElkNut1

01-Feb-16
Not much info here on what the elk are saying and their demeanor, and that plays heavy into what happens next. Looks like your cows are moving out! Why? are they moving slowly to bed, or are they panicked and getting ready to bolt?

Probably says there is no human below, they would be headed the other way...

Bull will most likely stay behind the last cows on top of the knob and move out behind them or at least behind the majority of them. Then again, if they are on alert, he might dart into the thick stuff behind him before picking up his cows down the hill.

Get ready if you are going to kill this bull, this is going to happen fast. You had better already have him ranged, arrow knocked, ready if not already drawn.

01-Feb-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Another pic...

01-Feb-16
Guess they aren't panicked, now they've turned as a group with bigger cows still monitoring down the hill, and on you, you stinky bastard.

Looks like your bull may be moving them off...So, maybe there IS a bigger bull down the hill, he's just silent, and this bull is going to move these cows outta there.

Lotsa traffic and eyes on you. I'm staying put for awhile and see how this plays out. If you alert the herd now, they are all outta there.

If they start to move, you always have a chance to cut them off to your right. Don't panic!

01-Feb-16
thats alot of cows for a small bull theres a bigger bull in the trees somewhere IMO.sit back and injoy the show! ready to draw at a moments notice

MikeC

01-Feb-16
Don't have a answer, but following this with interest.

01-Feb-16
Where cnelk hunts, good chance that IS the bigger bull. The bull-cow ratio is way out of whack there so not unusual to see big herds of cows with a fiver and maybe a couple little raghorns.

A patient hunter will get a crack at that one, the "possible" silent bigger one coming up from below on the left, or get another opportunity at them enroute to bedding since there is time to maneuver before the wind goes bad.

01-Feb-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
There is someone above that mentioned just what we did to get this elk.

I will let you know who that is later.

Any guesses?

01-Feb-16
Your buddy took a flock shot?!

01-Feb-16
Keep the wind right....shadow the herd, stay calm and patient and a shot opportunity at the animal you want should develop. Most of all enjoy the time spent that close to a herd of elk.

01-Feb-16
The herd is wanting to move, just from experience I'd say up the hill to the right. Circle around and hope you get a shot before the thermals drop your scent to the elk. If they're wanting to go down I think you have a good chance to circle down and around for the ambush. Just can't tell where they want to go from the pictures.

01-Feb-16
Shot a cow and ruined the fun...LOL

I have a few hunting partners like that!

Thanks for sharing the experience...

01-Feb-16
There are a lot of things to consider. 3rd day of a 3day hunt? Or 10 day hunt? Is this the first close encounter I've had or are there a lot of elk around? My first impression would be to watch them, it looks like there is no cover in front of me, but can I back out and circle down wind or stay parallel and dog them until I get what I am looking for? There are always eyes looking my direction so any movement has risks but that's what makes it s much fun!

If I am only after the bull, patience is going to be the key, they are probably heading to bed so trying to get in front of them and make sure they don't get my scent might be the best approach.

01-Feb-16
Not sure I see the challenge or strategy in shooting one of the 15 or so cows that are standing around, but OK.

01-Feb-16
He shot the cow on the far left in that last photo! If was me on day 3 of a 10 day hunt I let em all walk in hopes that a bigger bull may be trailing or off in the timber.

01-Feb-16
If it's day 3 of 3 or even 4 and haven't seen any other elk around then I shoot the obvious cow on the far left.

01-Feb-16
All along, I thought we were "obviously" after the bull. My bad.

Meat is good.

01-Feb-16
And if you're bighurt, you take the hamblaster shot on that cow 25 yards in front of you in the first pic and watch your 900gr arrow tipped with a simmons totally crush that hind quarter! ;)

01-Feb-16

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
If it was me, that one - right there gets it.

01-Feb-16
The spot should have been be a tiny bit to the left.

01-Feb-16
Congrats on the elk! No gimmes or guarantees in elk hunting, fine shot!

ElkNut1

01-Feb-16
So here is the skinny.

I realize a couple pics don't give a full perspective of the situation. Lou knows the GMUs I hunt and he is correct in stating there are lots of cows and raghorns. We particularly aren't too choosy as our freezers get hungry.

HUNTALITTLE is correct in how we approached the situation. We ran out of cover and knew the elk wouldn't come to calling by their position and body language.

So we waited for them to leave, backed out and made a plan for the next morning.

We got there early, didn't even have to call as the same elk came right by our setup.

Btw. This is OTC public land.

Thanks for tagging along.

01-Feb-16
Depends where they're headed and how well you know the area. I'd freeze in place and prepare for a shot in case it was offered; otherwise I'd do my best to figure out how to stay downwind until I could get into position for an ambush somewhere farther up the trail.

02-Feb-16
WOW....you mean I might be learning something about elk after all!!! My success hasn't been great over the last 10 years but I have learned a few things and wish I could have a repeat of some of my early encounters!

I think cnelk and I may be in the same hunt unit/units some Septembers and finding elk can be tough! He seems to be much more successful than I am though!

I like these scenarios, they are a great thinking tool!

02-Feb-16
That cow on the right is pissing me off. I hope she is the one that eventually caught an arrow.

02-Feb-16
I don't know what I woulda done, but it would have ended with elk running in all directions and no bloody arrow :)

Then cursing and second guessing. The word idiot would have run through my head about 100 times.

Then I'd move on and do something idiotic to some other elk somewhere else on the mountain

Bake

02-Feb-16
If you're hunting OTC in Colorado shoot a cow and slap the additional cow tag on it I'm sure you bought. ;)

And still have an either sex tag in your pocket to try and tag a bull later.

02-Feb-16
The body language and actions of the animals would depict what I would do next. But without seeing that I would wait out a shot because it seems like the bull is moving around quite a bit

02-Feb-16
For me, if the herd bull in the area is a 2 or 3 year old elk, I'd be hunting somewhere else. In this particular scenario, I'd be happy shooting a cow for meat.

I'm not saying I'm above shooting a raghorn, I just don't see shooting a raghorn over a cow if I have the option.

02-Feb-16
Ike, like yellowjacket says, you can shoot an extra cow in this unit. There are lots of younger herd bulls in the unit simply because there are a lot of elk. But my partner and I killed some good bulls (partner's 356, for example) when we had the opportunity to hunt almost the whole season in a good spot.

But some years we shot our extra cow early and didn't get an opportunity at a "good" bull.

02-Feb-16
Looks like it worked out. Congrats!

What I would have done would have ended up mimicking Bake's response.

God Bless men

03-Feb-16
My group has quivers full of 'Any Elk' arrows :)

03-Feb-16
Please explain why you backed out the first time, only to return to shoot a cow the next day?

You could have got her done the first go-round.

Were you originally after the bull?

Idyl- The reason I shoot a raghorn over a cow are two-fold. 1. More meat than a cow, and a young bull tastes pretty good! 2. Raghorns possibly like this bull need to be taken out of the gene pool if there's any chance a unit will produce quality bulls over time. This bull looks like he may be 4 or 5 years old, decent G1-G3, but I don't see anything in the back. Time to go!

03-Feb-16
I'll play.

"Please explain why you backed out the first time, only to return to shoot a cow the next day?"

50yd shots aren't gimmee's. Don't risk a shot you're not comfortable with. Doesn't matter if it's a cow or a 400 bull. If you know the elk you're hunting, it's better to pass up a 50yd shot today for a 20yd shot tomorrow.

As far as meat goes, a young raghorn won't yield significantly more meat than a young cow...and both taste pretty good. As Jaq pointed put earlier, the bulls in that area tend to run on the young/small size. Shooting that bull doesn't mean a bigger bull is going to run in to take his place. The term "herd bull" is relative to the area you hunt. Take that bull out and it just means one more bull won't live long enough to become a "trophy". Taking him out of the gene pool does nothing to improve the genes. Biologically speaking, it make MUCH more sense to remove one of a bunch of cows, rather than one of a few bulls. If cnelk hunts in an area like I do, there's very little chance that bull will live to be a "trophy".

03-Feb-16
That's a 3 year old in that unit. Its a "normal" herd bull there. I hunted and guided in the unit for 37 years and know the biologists. The dynamic is out of whack because all the private land where the elk flee is outfitted, and very few cows are killed. There are summer herds of 500 cows, and I've seen rut herds of over 100 many times. Led four rifle hunters into a herd of 300 once, and the biggest bulls were in that class.

Any legal bull (a 5" brow tune) is killed on the public land during archery, ML, and the four rifle seasons. Outfitted hunters mow down the next two age classes, and when I guided there most NRs were happy with a little fiver like that.

Since there is no "management" other than protecting spikes, a bull like that will be lucky to survive another year unless he gets to a ranch where hunting is limited and the number of bulls outnumber the paid hunters.

If he survives, he may join the 4 and up bulls that learn to flee to the ranches during the first few days of archery season. Then if they survive archery and ML and first rifle there they generally spend the rest of the post rut in dark timber holes where the NR outfitted hunters don't go.

Point is, it doesn't matter what public land hunters shoot, so shoot what you want. For biological reasons, shooting a cow is the best thing to do, but nobody is going to give out a plaque for letting that bull live to be shot at by MLs and gunners for another month and a half.

11-Feb-16
Very interesting discussion.

Thanks for taking us along!!

G

11-Feb-16
If a bull that size has a harem that big, you know the sex ratios in the area are way outta whack. Also pronounced "normal for OTC public land".

"Raghorns possibly like this bull need to be taken out of the gene pool if there's any chance a unit will produce quality bulls over time."

Disagree. Better to keep as many bulls as possible alive in that area so that competition will sort things out "as nature intended"... And REALLY? You think you can create a QDM environment on public land? ROFL

Another plus to a cow - less to pack off! Why drag a rack off of the mountain just so you can prove it was a legal bull before you toss the rack in the trash or that box of bone that you keep out in the garage?

JMO... If you like to eat Elk, take a cow. If you want to shoot a bull with Big Antlers, then don't shoot a small one.

Is that hard??

• Sitka Gear