APauls 02-Feb-16
Cazador 02-Feb-16
jst.pursuit 02-Feb-16
Highcountrystykbow 02-Feb-16
YZF-88 02-Feb-16
wildwilderness 02-Feb-16
01-Feb-16
Hey everyone,

Im a long time lurker on the site. I am on here several times a week soaking everything up but seldom post any content. I am a whitetail fanatic who is just starting to sink his teeth into western hunting.

I am currently looking for some assistance on a diy mule deer hunt. I currently have no points(maybe in Montana since I bought the combo tag there last year??) I have hunted DIY wyoming antelope twice and was successful once and I hunted Montana elk/mule deer DIY last year and had a decent hunt but not quite what I expected. I also came back with a big bowl of tag soup on this trip.

For 2016 I am looking at either Colorado, Wyoming or Nebraska and would be driving out and camping from a truck/basecamp. I want to hunt somewhere within a days drive of Missouri so that I could allow two full days driving for the trip and then I would have 6-7 full days of hunting. I am not looking for the biggest buck on the mountain and would be extremely happy with a good representative of the species. I am in my late 20's and in good enough physical shape to hunt most anywhere.

I would like to stick with public land but would be willing to look into private land/tresspass fees if needed. I have looked at Nebraska a couple years but seem to pull back because of the bad things that I read about the public lands being packed full and the lack of age class in the deer. I have tried to research Colorado but find that their website isn't what I am used to so there has been a learning curve to find out what I can and can't do with 0 points. I also really like the idea of having a mule deer and elk tag in my pocket if hunting in Colorado. I haven't dug too much into Wyoming yet as it seems to be my last choice for some reason. I think maybe because I have hunted antelope there twice and like the idea of a new state better.

I have been researching this for several months and cannot seem to make up my mind on where or how so I would love to hear some thoughts from some of the folks on here.

Any assistance or insight would be great!

02-Feb-16
I think you should look at Idaho. I also think if you focus on one specie you'll have a better chance at filling your tag.

02-Feb-16
If you are looking at Colorado all deer tags are by the draw. No OTC tags as of now. But having said that when you go trolling on the web-site looking at OTC Elk tags try and go back into the CPW web-site and see the units that are under subscribed for deer. Then figure out if you want to try and hunt an OTC unit for Elk and maybe pocket a deer tag. There are a bunch of deer units that have tags leftover after the first choice. Try using your first choice for one of the units you can hunt OTC for elk and draw a deer tag during the same season. Maybe you want a really good eating fat Doe or just a chance at a decent buck? I do not know. But big bucks live all over in most units. One thing I can tell you is if I am hunting Elk ..I hunt Elk! If I am hunting a unit that I know has leftover doe tags and I do not have plans for another hunt during rifle I pick one up. Usually I do some kind of late season rifle leftover Cow tag for elk and the does are usually there but I have found that leftover or under subscribed Deer tags usaually not during the rifle seasons. I hope that helps!

02-Feb-16
You are a day late to apply for Wyoming elk tags. You could still buy a leftover license in a few months though and you have time to apply for deer still.

02-Feb-16
Make sure you follow through and do one! You'll never regret it! (Coming from a guy who's been in the same boat!) Be prepared to make it a way of life though.

02-Feb-16
If your goal is Mule Deer, Colorado will be you best option by far. Tons of public land, and tons of deer.

You can hunt them in the sage, or above timberline and there are many 0 point units. All you need to do is first choice the unit and you're in.

02-Feb-16
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I will be hunting one of these locations this fall but have little to no experience with mule deer but it sounds like Colorado might be the best choice since there are more?? Also, if I am in the mule deer, will I be in elk as well or is that a dream thought? I had both tags in Montana but didn't find too many of either so I am unsure of what to expect.

Has anyone ever chased mule deer in Nebraska? Or wyoming?

Is it possible to have opportunities at a 130" or better buck in all of these locations?

Also, what time of year might be best? I am thinking I would like to do it before the September 15th Missouri opener.

02-Feb-16
Pm sent

02-Feb-16
I recommend reading "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" by Dwight Schuh. It's a very informative book.

02-Feb-16
In Colorado there are plenty of areas where Mule Deer and elk overlap. Also many units where 0 points, with First Choice, and many with 2nd choice will get you an archery deer tag. And many of those are OTC elk as well.

In general I see deer in more places than elk. Keep looking into areas. You have until April 5th to apply in CO so you have a couple months to narrow down a region. Generally speaking a harder to draw unit is "better" so maybe look at units that you can draw with 0 points and a First Choice.

For archery mule deer Earlier is better. Easier to spot and pattern in full velvet. haven't been hunted all summer. Once bucks start stripping they disappear.

Utah is really good since it starts a week before CO season. Its a lot farther drive from MO though. UT has many NR archery tags that can be drawn with 0 points but the elk is usually OTC cow/spike only though.

• Sitka Gear