Toby 10-Feb-16
Old School 10-Feb-16
Jaquomo 10-Feb-16
fubar racin 10-Feb-16
WV Mountaineer 10-Feb-16
casper 10-Feb-16
brewski 11-Feb-16
05-Feb-16
OK guys, after my wife's cancer I sold my archery equipment to help cover the costs. I still have my grandads old colt targetsman recurve its #48 and 66'' I'd like to get back to chasing elk with a bow in 2017. Would it be realistic to get proficient in that amount of time? And would it be realistic to hunt elk with this bow? If so any recommendations on arrows broad heads or just tips in general?

05-Feb-16
Post this on the Leatherwall.

05-Feb-16
Yes yes and try several types of arrows. Carbon Works but looks cheap against a beautiful wood riser :) i shoot 2013 GameGetters aluminum out of my '60 Grizzly. You have plenty of time. Best of Luck!

05-Feb-16
Prior to my first trad animal I shot for about 3 weeks. Confidence and muscle memory. You can absolutely do it and I think you should. I'd rather be hunting with whatever I have available than miss out on a season because I didn't try. Best of luck and I hope your wife is doing well. Take care.

05-Feb-16
Hope your wife is in remission... Damn Cancer.

I think you can be chasing elk by 2017 although it may not be with your grandads bow. Plenty of time to learn traditional but it requires a ton of practice. I'm sure leatherwall will be a great place to answer traditional questions but if I can help in any way on this side just ask.

05-Feb-16
If you go about it right, it takes very little time to become proficient with a trad bow. Problem is, most don't go about it the right way. Soon enough, trad romantics are going to come on here ad say I'm full of it. That's alright. I might be but, I'm not wrong about that. It's why I chose it after doing both for quiet a while.

Consistency is the key. Find your anchor under your eye, do it the same every time, and you'll be shooting lights out very quickly. It's the same premise as using any weapon. Consistency is the key. And anchoring under the eye so the arrow goes where the eye is looking windage wise. Give it a try. You'll see for yourself it isn't magical. It's a tool that does what you direct it to do.

That bow would do it. More sure wouldn't hurt though. Get tuned, get accurate, then go kill something. Good luck and God Bless

FWIW, almost 5 years cancer free. It's great. I will pray for the same concerning your wife. God Bless

05-Feb-16
Go for it!!! Once you become familiar and proficient with trad you'll love it.

I'm mainly on LW but enjoy the hunting aspect "over here". Feel free to post on LW but be sure to sift through the advice.

I read how "we" are trad snobs, and for a few that's true...but for the most part there's a lot of good, helpful guys there. Ive become friends with some through the cyber world, and have met and shot with a couple.

Bottom line, we're all bowhunters...sticks or wheels. Matters not in the least what you shoot.

'Cept cross bows, of course :^)

05-Feb-16
The wife has been cancer free for about 15 months now but it was a rough go with the bills at the time. We were both able to chase elk this year with smoke poles... Kept them as the bows were worth more, but archery is our passion. Also still trying to get set up on leather wall keep getting an error.

05-Feb-16
Can somebody help get this guy a bow ?!?!? For crying out loud, he sold it due to his wife's cancer. I can help with a release or broadheads. But I'm not currently in a position for a bow.

05-Feb-16

05-Feb-16
Copey I really appreciate that but couldn't accept by 17 I could buy a new compound just thinking that it would be really cool to do it with grandpas bow. Thank you VERY VERY much for the thought though you guys are awesome!

05-Feb-16
Yes, the bow will work and I think you should use it for the connection with your grand dad. PM me with your email addy. I can sure help but don't want to get involved in an internet pissing match with some tradholes who think they know more than they actually do about killing elk with trad bows.

Glad to hear about your wife's remission! I remember when this came up before and was wondering how it was going. :)

05-Feb-16
So if I understand this, you sold your compound bow ( my guess at least 60#) and now want to use a 48# recurve bow for elk.

If so, you will be limited to not much more than 20 yards shots. Cut on impact BH and at least 500 gr arrows.

If the goal is to just go elk hunting, then go for it regardless of the bow.

A cancer survivor of 6 years.

My best, to you both, as I know the pain and the challenges. Paul

05-Feb-16
Plenty of time and plenty of bow, go for it.

05-Feb-16
Tradholes!?!?

Hmmmm...pot...meet kettle...

I guess I'm one of those "tradholes". Reread or just read my post jaq.

What's the old saying about glass houses and stone throwing?

05-Feb-16
By the way...WV Mountaineer is also "one".

While we both shoot different styles...and he, tongue in cheek, doesn't agree with my chosen style, he's a good guy and I'd recommend anyone considering trad to heed his words. He knows of which he speaks and he'll tell it straight up.

He, along with many other of "us", are more than willing to help, when approached, anyone interested in trad.

Funny word, trad. Unlike many of the young ones carrying on the hunting tradition today, us old relics come from a bygone era when "trad" was the only method. I guess "trad" is as new of an invention as the compound bow, eh?

05-Feb-16
Nope, Rick, not referring to you. Not sure why you would think that? But you probably know who I am referring to. Your advice is always sound and you don't denigrate others for using equipment that differs from yours. You don't call others names, that I'm aware of. And you are actually a big game hunter.

06-Feb-16
What's your draw length?

06-Feb-16
Jaquomo...fair enough.

And yes I do :^)

06-Feb-16
Plenty of bow but as mentioned more won't hurt. I think to many folks make trad archery more difficult than it is. Start close and get your form down and gradually move out in range and you'll be hunting this fall. Good luck with your shooting and to your wives recovery.

06-Feb-16
BTW, I killed my first muley with a 66" 39# Wing target bow with a 32 yard shot that got a complete passthrough. Some told me back then that it wasn't "enough" bow, but as a high school kid I bought what I could afford used. The legal minimum was 40# but I demonstrated to the game warden that I was drawing more than 28" so it technically was greater than 40# draw.

I have your same Colt target recurve hanging above my desk. Smooth draw and stable, not as fast as a shorter "modern" recurve with improved limb design and lams, but it will certainly do the job for you, especially since it carries your grandpa's mojo.

06-Feb-16
Fubar Racin' - just curious, with fubar in the name, are you a Vet?

Also, are you a righty or lefty?

06-Feb-16
Send me an email at [email protected] or [email protected].

06-Feb-16
I've bought 2 longbows (they are like candy) and am having fun making a transition from modern to traditional.

I am getting some lessons.

Repeatable anchor point and correctly spined arrows are being developed for me. My groups are coming together well.

Do it and enjoy it. If I had a weapon from my grandfather, I'd sure as heck try to make it work too.

Best of luck man

06-Feb-16
My draw on the compound was 29 inches.and FUBAR is a reference to my rookie year back when i was a kid racing stock cars. I still have some 300 spine fmj arrows and an assortment of old aluminums iv picked up over the years, I know the fmjs were 535 grains if they were to fly right.

06-Feb-16
Fubar,if you wanna go traditional and want to try different bows I have quite a few,plus I'm good friends with a custom Bowyer here in northern colorado and I'm sure he'd build you exactly what u want for little to nothing

06-Feb-16
Chris, your goal for 2017 or 2016 is a reasonable one! It's about the time, motivation & desire to want to do it! I remember back when I was 53 I wanted to try Trad gear (longbow) because my son wanted to try it. I looked on the classifieds with no direction & picked up a 60# at 28" draw length, bow was 62" long. I draw it 27" so I figured I was in the 56# range or so at my 27" draw. For the first couple days it seemed a bit stiff but after that I picked it up pretty good.

With yours being in the 46# range I would go with that one as it will be an easier break in for you plus it's one dear to your heart for all the right reasons.

I picked up mine mid July & by Sept. 1st I was ready & confident to 35 yards. To that point I'd never shot a longbow so it was all new to me but had hunted with compounds for several decades. A week into the Sept season I took a 5-point bull at 28 yards, one shot one bull down. -- Yes you can do this as long as your commitment to want to succeed is strong & not just practice when it's convenient.

I found if I missed one or two days after practicing for a couple weeks that I got rusty real fast, I quit missing days to shoot even if it was 1 dozen arrows then call it quits for the day. Daily practice is important, stick with it & you'll get good & enjoy the heck out of it, keep things simple!

For your setup I'd consider a finished arrow weight of 450 grains to 480 grains with a larger cutting 2 bladed broadhead. Lots of quality 2-bladed heads to choose from these days!

Arrows like a Beman MFX in the 500 spine with a 75 grain brass insert & a 100 grain or 125 grain broadhead to get the needed overall arrow weight is one to look at. This will give your 46# bow some needed punch with the 175 - 200 grains up front. It would be a very deadly setup!

ElkNut1

06-Feb-16
The only one who can tell you this won't work is you. It's plenty of bow with the cut on contact b.h. and heavy arrow.

Get a good instructor to watch you shoot and work on your form and you will be good to at least 25 yards.

Before you work on hitting things you might want to shoot at 5 yards into a bigger target with your eyes closed until you have the release, etc. down pat.

The idea that it will take a year is rediculous.

06-Feb-16
Tradholes thats true for some but not all of us. Lol tradhole.

06-Feb-16
Like WV' and rick allison, I'm a "tradhole" too.

fubar', to answer your question directly, yes, it is possible. Now, whether or not it will actually happen, that is you becoming proficient, is entirely up to you and your willingness to put the effort forth. No way for any of us to know for certain if it's going to happen.

If your draw length is correct for the compound then that's what it's going to be with the recurve, give or take a 1/4", but that's it. I can tell you that learning archery for the average male person, by starting with a bow that is going to likely be a tad over 50#(at your draw length)generally creates a number of bad habits. Most every qualified coach I can think of recommends like 30#'ish to learn and solidify form. You will certainly get another story from the Neotrads, however. :)

If you can't find a coach nearby to get proper instruction then I highly recommend getting a book like "Shooting The Stickbow", by Anthony Camera for instance. Now, this part will ruffle feathers among some. By "coach", I'm not talking about some traddy daddy dingle-bobble you notice at the local 3D course that recommends you hunch, lean, short-draw and snap shoot because "that's the trad' way!", type coach. Just look for those wearing new fedoras, expensive wool plaid button downs and very ornate custom back quivers......then run like hell. I promise you those guys will lead you down the wrong path like 99% of the time.

Be open to experimenting with at least several time tested methods of shooting the conventional bow. You might prefer shooting split-finger instinctive, 3 under gapping, fixed crawl, or even a sighted recurve. Yes, sights are "traditional"(hate that word) as evidenced by half of target and hunting archers using them back in the Golden Age of Archery(1950's,60's&70's). Point being, you won't know really what suits you best until you've experimented.

Most of all keep a positive attitude and don't be afraid to ask for help. Best of luck

06-Feb-16
One other thing...sticks are fun to shoot.

I've been a recurve guy for many years, but shot a couple heavy Hill style longbows in my younger days...76 and 83lb...I can't even string them today :^). However, I just never liked them...too much stack and hand shock. Yeah, the heavy weight had something to do with that.

As of late, I've had a real itch to check out RD longbows. I'm a big fan of Ken's artistry in his Whippenstick bows and have been seriously considering giving him a call.

So today I made a HUGE mistake...I went to a trad shoot to meet a gent who's a 3 time IBO modern longbow world champ. He brought a couple of his Whippenstick RD's for me to try out...after 100 or so arrows I'm hooked...dammit!!! At 20 yards, indoors, we were shooting ornaments off a christmas tree in addition to 3-D targets. Now THAT was fun.

Soooooo...now I'm gonna have to give Ken a call.

Give it an honest try...it really is rewarding...and fun. Oh yeah, they're also damn lethal, smooth, light, and whisper quiet.

06-Feb-16
Sorry, intended as a PM

06-Feb-16
Yes it can be done with your granpas bow. Set youself up with arrows that are 9-11 grains weight per pound bow draw weight. (48# bow = 480 grains arrow weight.) Have bright color fletching installed, that is easy to see in flight, practice daily with good shooting form, shooting 10-30 arrows. This will develop muscle memory and arrow flight memory. Buy some quality cut on contact broadheads and go kill an elk.

07-Feb-16
Once you go traditional you won't go back! Good luck and have fun!

08-Feb-16
I switched 13 years ago to trad I love it ,but it can be frustrating. A lot ,and I mean a lot of time needs to go into practice. With no sighting reference you must have consistency like never before. With that being said a sharp 2 blade broadhead and limited shot distance will kill just about anything.

I met a woman years ago that used a primitive bow that she killed dozens of whitetail with (a lot were very nice bucks). Her average shot distance was 7 yds.

The trad game is measured in feet, not yards.

09-Feb-16
Don't think that you can't use your arrow. It's a better sight than many think.... Focus is on your target but the arrow is there if you want to use it.

09-Feb-16
I'm with flash, I too used my arrow shooting my longbow, it's very accurate! I won two Idaho state championships that way with 3 fingers under. I lost my 3 peat to my son the third time around by 2 points! (grin) Good way to lose!

ElkNut1

10-Feb-16
Elknut, which "Idaho state championships" did you win?

10-Feb-16
" With no sighting reference you must have consistency like never before. "

Well, Misalots.... Consistency in correct form is a non-negotiable, but the part about "no sighting reference" is a CHOICE. One heavily popularized among the Neotards, unfortunately....

If you find a repeatable anchor point on your face and it doesn't put the nock plumb below your eyeball, just cant your head (and bow) a little. When you get it right, you'll know - because the entire length of your arrow will be pointed directly at the target. THAT is your sighting reference, and with a radius in the 28" range, it's actually pretty dang precise. Or can be, if you'll let it.

Personally... At this point I recommend hanging a few feet of heavy, black yarn down the center of your otherwise featureless target. If your target is too shot up, split open a grocery bag and use a marker down the middle. Just keep the line straight! ;)

Line up the entire length of the arrow on the yarn/stripe. If your release is good, you'll hit very close to it. Don't worry about high or low - just center the yarn over the shaft. If you shoot shiny aluminums, you can probably even see the black line reflected off the top of the shaft all the way down to make sure you're centered...

And if you do it this way Every Single Time, you will find that the adjustments that you need to make to your anchor and your bow-arm hold will get smaller and less frequent as you build the consistency that Misalots mentioned.

Or, to speed things up a bit, you can shoot target-style and serve in a peep. Add a front sight if you want. Works just as well as on a compound, so long as you have mastered the weight. Only drawback is that sometimes when you're hunting it's awfully helpful to be able to cant your bow a bit more or less than usual, and you can't do with with a peep and a pin.

JMO, IGNORE the elevation until you get the windage down unless you're using a front sight. As you go along, the elevation will start to sort itself out anyway. If you can group just a couple inches right to left at 5 yards, back off to 10. Or 7.5. Whatever you're comfortable with.

Then, once your right-left accuracy is pretty well dialed, go shoot some targets at random, unknown distances as often as you can swing it. You can consciously estimate and correct for the range, or you can float your bow hand up and down 'til it looks about right. The former is more precise, if you can hold all of the gaps and yardages in your conscious mind, but it's overload for me. I'm a floater.

If there are any talented "trad" shooters in your area, hit them up for some feedback on your form. Or better yet, find a coach. Viper has a Real Live Book on the subject as well....

BTW - you don't need a new registration to post on the wall - just start a new thread.

Shooting a recurve well can be a whole lot more straightforward than a lot of people will tell you that it is. There's nothing magical or mystical about it - you aim your bow and you hit your target. And you don't have to be Born With It. Nobody ever has been yet, so why would The Universe start making it a requirement with you???

10-Feb-16

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
Those other guys type faster than I do!

BTW - so simple a 5-year-old can do it...

10-Feb-16
GF is that you? Awesome picture. You should be a heck of a shot by the time you're 8 years old.

Lou can you draw me a picture or something? I'm trying to envision what a tradhole looks like.......

10-Feb-16
Nah, my form's not quite that good!

10-Feb-16
That's a killer pic! Great form and I can tell by his jeans he isn't afraid to work. Lucky boy... lucky mentor!

I'm still saving for a bow that nice!

10-Feb-16
If you draw 28"s than a 29.5" carbon spined .500 with 225 grains of point weight will fly perfectly out of that bow. They are nice shooters, a bit long for my taste but great bows. Some folks can get proficient with a recurve or longbow in a few weeks time, others, never. My middle daughter can pick up most any trad bow up to 45#s and with a good set of matched arrows out shoot most guys including me, who have been doing it forever. She is just a natural. Hope you get to chase Elk again with that vintage bow! Shawn

10-Feb-16
For anyone just starting out, or those who've struggled with 'trad', I highly recommend you read GF's post again....then again. It couldn't be more spot on.

"Neotards" inadvertently do everything possible to ruin the sport of conventional(recurve/longbow) archery for folks before the ever get started really. That you can't, or shouldn't, or "it's not trad' to use a sight", or you can't/shouldn't use your arrow as a sight is complete bs and historically inaccurate.

There is no one reading this post who ever shot arrows in any decade where sights on recurves didn't exist. There's a picture floating around here somewhere of Fred Bear using a sight on his longbow in 1927. He didn't go sightless until target panic set in. Howard Hill advocated hunters using sights on their bows. Jack Howard was a tremendous and innovative bowyer in the 50's and 60's and always had a Merril bow sight screwed in the riser of his hunting bows. There are literally thousands of other examples. You will have a tough time finding vintage wood bows on ebay that DON'T have sight holes drilled in them.

Then there are several methods to use your arrow as a sight that are deadly effective. I've killed deer, turkey and small game by using a high anchor(3 under) and a full length arrow to "gap" shoot. String walking and the fixed crawl are equally effective if not better than my adopted method. You will not find an IBO 3D "Traditional" champion anywhere shooting recurves that isn't utilizing his/her arrow to aim.

There are folks that shoot "instinctively" and do well with it, so don't get me wrong, but in my experiences they are few and far between......just the way it is. I can't tell you how many people I know that quit in frustration because someone(neotrads) convinced them that there is no real way to aim, and if there is, then you shouldn't do it anyway. It's archery's biggest and lamest myth.

10-Feb-16
Neotradhole.

10-Feb-16
Go for it, neat that you have your grandpa's bow. I shot through a big cow at 20 yards with a 49# recurve last year, you bow will be fine. As others have said, put good thought into your arrow and bh. I used a 435 grain arrow with a 3 blade COC. Get tuned and work on your form.

If I were you, I would put a simple one pin sight on your bow and get good with it. If you ever want to take it off, your brain will have already learned the gaps.

Enjoy the journey.

10-Feb-16
As many have said, that is plenty of bow to kill an elk. Will make taking an elk even more memorable with that bow in particular.

I shoot some cedar arrows with Zwickys and also shoot some GoldTip traditionals with Magnus. Find what you shoot best and shoot it. To each his own.

--Mitch

10-Feb-16
Don't be afraid to try a release, either. Release aids have been around way longer than Fred Bear and fedoras.

With a release and sights it won't really be much different than shooting your compound, so you should become proficient pretty quickly.

10-Feb-16
Iv started rounding up some arrows to try, once I find what works I'll be shooting my lunch break Monday through Friday and all day on Sunday. I'm pretty excited to get back to shooting a bow again, at times I got stupidly over confident with the compound I'm sure this will be a very humbling experience I can't wait.

10-Feb-16
Be consistent in your shot sequence. Be analytical of problems that surface with your accuracy. And, understand there are no limits shooting a traditional bow that applies to you, other than what you decide you want out of it. Good luck and God Bless

10-Feb-16
I have enjoyed all types of archery including hard core 3D tournaments, hunting and traditional archery. Nothing gives me more pleasure that making a great shot with my trad bow, why because its not easy. With my fancy 3D bow i expect it with my palmer recurve the bow is always ready willing and able but am i . Thats why trad archery is addicting are you ready. Have fun

11-Feb-16
I think the most important consideration is to make sure you don't over bow yourself. Believe me your shoulders and neck will happy. I've suffered through both shoulders being rebuilt twice and 2 cervical spine fusions doo partly to over stressing those areas by shooting excessive poundage.

• Sitka Gear