MDW 06-Feb-16
writer 06-Feb-16
MDW 07-Feb-16
Oakie 08-Feb-16
Thornton 09-Feb-16
deerman406 10-Feb-16
Quinn @work 11-Feb-16
06-Feb-16
Does anyone here hunt in or near this county in S/E Kansas ? If so I'd love to hear about your experiences here and the quality of the deer herd / trophy buck potential in this area of Kansas. I've never hunted Kansas and am just trying to do a little homework so your input is greatly appreciated.

06-Feb-16
Greg, you might have more luck posting to the Kansas forum. Good luck on your search!

06-Feb-16
"Greg, you might have more luck posting to the Kansas forum"

Maybe the funniest post all year!!...it's early ok? :)

06-Feb-16
Come on Steve... We all need some fun during the off season. Lol

06-Feb-16
Rick, this is the guy that said he actually hunts...no failure piles...he's good coming over to the KS page ;?)

23, I have no knowledge of that area as far as deer, but someone will, good luck on your hunt!

06-Feb-16
Lots of pressure, lots of leased land. Lots of guys come up from the SE US as it is the closest county in Kansas. I don't feel the trophy potential is nearly as good as other parts of the state. Lots of 2 and 3 three year olds get shot.

06-Feb-16
Also, from what I hear, there's considerable poaching in that whole eastern tier of counties. Crawford, Bourbon, etc.

06-Feb-16
Considerable amount of poaching in all parts of Kansas, Marvin. That includes folks who sneak over when the OK or MO rifle seasons are on, and pop Kansas bucks and sneak them across the border.

All parts of Kansas also has the potential to produce great deer, a lot depends on local hunting pressure and trophy management.

You know, you might want to ask this question on the MN, WI, MI or NY forums...all those guys know a lot more about Kansas deer hunting than us yocals and that live here, and have hunted from border to border for 50 years. :-)

07-Feb-16
You're right, as usual Writer, but he just asked about Crawford Co.

Best one that I've put a tape on around here, this past season, so far, was a 170'ish N-T. Course, I don't get to see all of them.

08-Feb-16
The Association I mentioned in your first thread has some ground in this area. I hunted Crawford the first year as a member in that association.

I did see your unicorn 160" you're hoping for, but I did not connect. I noticed, as others have said, a tremendous amount of pressure in this area. The locals informed me that the locals did the heaviest poaching via road hunting. Maybe they were trying to run me out. It worked. I went to a less popular area of Kansas in my next season and immediately killed a 150 and I haven't looked back.

09-Feb-16
I have an old outfitter friend that used to lease 10,000 acres down there starting in 2007. There are more deer per square mile in that part of KS than most places and they killed some nice ones. In 4 years of hunting I do not recall any of his clients killing a booner though. They did see them on camera and found a dead 200" once.

10-Feb-16
I would say, go see for yourself. I love Kansas and I have only hunted it once. There are big deer in every part of the state, just have to find a spot to hunt, for years SE Kansas was the "spot", it still may be. Shawn

11-Feb-16
"You know, you might want to ask this question on the MN, WI, MI or NY forums...all those guys know a lot more about Kansas deer hunting than us yocals and that live here, and have hunted from border to border for 50 years. :-)"

Writer, you should add the CO forum to your list in your humble brag post. A lot of us Colorado nonresidents come over and kill your big deer too but definitely don't know as much as you. :)

• Sitka Gear