Topgun 30-06 12-Feb-16
antlerless 12-Feb-16
Don K 12-Feb-16
Don K 12-Feb-16
Timbrhuntr 12-Feb-16
TMA1010 12-Feb-16
07-Feb-16
Dont boil it.

Put it in a big cooler or bucket with an aquarium heater with DAWN dish soap and rot the flesh off.

Then dont bleach it either.

07-Feb-16
Zip off the bottom of a metal 45 gallon drum Pat. It's what we do, also nice if you want to do several smaller heads at a time. Then car wash, then peroxide and you're done.

07-Feb-16
Yeah. Car wash.

Watch all the nose bones go down the drain

07-Feb-16
My trade secret pm'd.

07-Feb-16
I'm in the process of doing a moose euro...what I did was clean off every bit of meat before "boiling" then I took a big plastic storage bin and notched each side enough that the skull would drop low enough into the bin (elk may need different cuts) I put some Sal soda and dish detergent in the bin and filled it with boiling water.

When the water cooled enough to handle I pulled the skull and cleaned more meat.

I had to do this three times to get it perfectly clean...a little more work but I wasn't gonna buy an aluminum garbage can...I'll start with the peroxide soon and post pics....

07-Feb-16
I've boiled a bunch and they turn out great. I do it in a big pot outside on the external burner on the BBQ grill. We built a support for that with 2x4s. Put Borax in the water. I remove as much meat as possible, then periodically pull it out of the pot and scrape/wire brush whatever is left (especially the sinus cartilage that requires care- I use needle nose pliers to carefully draw this out)

We use a coat-hanger hook to remove the brains first. On an older skull the brain material will reconstitute and boil out.

Finally, we take it to a car wash and alternate between low and high pressure to remove the remaining bits, being super careful to not damage the delicate nasal bones. After it dries, a liberal dosing of baking soda will remove odor. Then we use a combination of 40 peroxide paste and magnesium powder for the final bleaching.

I've done at least a dozen elk skulls this way and they come out great.

07-Feb-16
The problem with rotting (and I've done it before) is you discolor the skull sometimes, but I've had them turn out ok. Let some blowflies into the skull, wrap the skull in cheesecloth elk bag, then plastic bag it and let them have at it. When the bag is moving around pretty good with the maggots for a day or two or three, pull off the plastic, boil the head in cheesecloth for 30 mins to kill the maggots and that smell, and it picks clean pretty good. This also makes a very nice soup if you are hungry.

You can get a pot big enough to boil at a horse feed store.

Jaq seems to have a good recipe, I'll add a couple of things we do... No chems in the water and we only boil for maybe max 30 mins before we go at it with the knife again, fleshing away. We wrap the horns from the buttons up in plastic wrap during the process so they don't get steamed, it will discolor them, buttons don't go in the water.. Hydrogen peroxide with baking soda mixed to a thin paste to whiten, let it sit for 10-15 mins, then rinse off/reapply until desired whiteness.

07-Feb-16
I bought a big square galvanized tub. About like the round ones but square.

I then went to the junkyard and got an old semi tire rim. It has holes big enough to slide firewood in and I just keep the fire going while using aluminum foil to protect the antlers.

You could also use it on propane. I did an 8 year old moose with it so it will take care of an elk with ease.

07-Feb-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
I soaked my elk and moose euros in a recycling bin which was big enough. Let it soak for a week or two then blast it with a power washer. Came out very well for me!

07-Feb-16
When I boiled my buffalo head I put him in a 55 gal drum boiled him for a few hours and powerwashed him. Worked like a charm.

07-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Definetly dont want to boil. More like simmer in a big pot with either a degreasing soap or borax. Key is getting the hidden stuff out of nasal cavities and passagways. I "air boil" mine in the tub as well.

07-Feb-16

Topgun 30-06's embedded Photo
Topgun 30-06's embedded Photo
If you spray a head off at the car wash you want to be a little careful around the nasal bones because the pressure can bust a lot of bone out that should be staying on a properly done head.

08-Feb-16
Boiling too hot will make the bones brittle.

08-Feb-16
I use a aluminum garbage can and the exterior stove on my tent trailer. Let it simmer then pick at it with a knife or screw driver. I also let the maggots do there business, they will pretty much eatand everything.

08-Feb-16
the key to a nice clean white skull is it do it quick.

I have done 100's of them.

peel off the flesh.

boil it for 30-45 min.

the pressure was it off.

nothing to it. comes out perfect everytime!

08-Feb-16
Half a 50 gallon drum over a fish cooker. Simmered it for about 6 hours. than hit it with the power washer. Got some peroxide from a girl I know at a beauty salon and was done in a day.

08-Feb-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Boil away guys. It's just not the way I like to see elk skulls done.

08-Feb-16
There's a difference between "boiling" and "simmering" - do NOT boil. There is NO reason to boil - it serves no purpose and can only harm a skull.

Yes, you want the temperature to be high, as in simmer. If you boil, bones can break, and although it's a not a bear or hog, any grease will sink further into the skull making degreasing more difficult.

Also, using a pressure sprayer (car wash) can cause you to lose teeth, it can be done, but be prepared to search high and low for that missing molar (or even a piece of the nasal cavity).

It's just flesh, it'll fall off with warm water maceration, if you can handle the smell.....lol.

08-Feb-16
You do what you want. I've done them about every way you can think of and for me beetles is the only way to go. This year had a whitetail head skinned, beetled and whited for $75. Seems cheap to me.

09-Feb-16
IF you have to.... simmer, not boil.

BUT, you have some properties to get em out of, um... public... Macerate... put it in a tub of water (this summer in a nice warm spot out of the sun and you won't have to heat it.) Make sure it doesn't run out of water (I know folks who cover the tub and all with a big black plastic to keep the water as well as some heat in) and let it sit a month or two...bacteria will clean it as well as beetles, just not as much fun to watch..... Hose it off good with a garden hose (make sure you don't lose any teeth or other small bones as these soaks will remove all connective tissue and swell/expand the bone) then warm water soaks with dawn and ammonia, change the water every few days as long as it takes until the water stays clear. THEN whiten with peroxide.

Again, IF you have to "boil"... one tip is you leave the nose on before you simmer, after things start cooking (use sal soda or washing soda) as it gets "cooked" you can grab the nose with channel locks and pull the nasal cartilage all out all in one piece. Only done it a couple times but worked pretty well.

However you do it, if you aren't going to degrease it, don't bother with peroxide.... just rattle can it a good color and hope the grease doesn't soak through later on....

Boiling...(gasp! pressure washer!) I saw a few heads on this thread that were missing alot of bones.

Beetles, baby, flesh eating beetles.... a fun hobby to share with friends at your next cocktail party....

09-Feb-16
Despite the nay sayers, I've never had problems with pressure washer. Pull out any loose teeth beforehand, because yes they can get lost. Regarding the nasal bones, spray from the inside/backside out. Never lost nasal bones that way.

And while I have no doubt the slow method TD gives above would work great, I prefer the simmer and get it done in a matter of a few days.

Simmer with a little Arm & Hammer laundry soda and Dawn dish soap, dump water every time it gets dirty, then after fully clean and water is clear, remove skull and apply 40-50% salon crème paste, let sit a couple of days and rinse off, then glue teeth back in.

09-Feb-16
TD, whenever I take a little bag of insects to cocktail parties, be it dermastid beetles, dung beetles, maggots, body lice, fleas, whatever, people tend to move away and leave me alone for some reason.

Don't mind that, really, as then I don't have to listen to insipid conversations about therapy, neuroses, diarrhea, relationship drama and Facebook insults. A small, angry monkey will accomplish the same thing, but requires higher maintenance than a box of bugs, which can be left under the host's bed before leaving.

09-Feb-16
If you introduce yourself as Dr. Jaquomo and carry around the bag of bugs you'll be discussed as that brilliant research scientist instead of the savage we all know and love... first impressions, as well as perception, is everything... =D

You REALLY want to make an impact... show up with Pat's maceration bucket full of.... um, elk.... for show and tell.... make that angry monkey seem downright civil, folks would offer to put the monkey down their pants to make the bucket go away....

It's a great method.... has some drawbacks...

11-Feb-16

AXE MAN 's embedded Photo
Hyrdogen Peroxide and Water for a few days , then boil with same , then Salon Care 40 ( a Hydro Peroxide White Cream) on the Skulls I am using that Method for all my Mtn Lion, bear ( 5 for 5 the last 5 Sept ) in a no bait State

11-Feb-16

Salon Care 40 is tip from my taxidermist

11-Feb-16

Salon Care 40 is tip from my taxidermist.Some Salons make you have a Beaut L, others do not .

11-Feb-16
Our local beauty supply told me I can buy 40 w/o a license. Haven't had a problem - no knocks on the door from FBI (Federal Beauty Investigators)

12-Feb-16
Tip for those boiling or simmering the euoros, wrap the base of the antlers with tin foil and tape them tight. This prevents the bases from getting discolored from the water. Learned this on a Bill Winke video!

12-Feb-16
"Federal Beauty Investigators" LOL!

Would those be pink vans instead of the black ones normally parked outside my house?

12-Feb-16
Pink Suburbans, and the portly, angry-looking, pantsuited women with hair piled-high is a dead giveaway.

I've had three different "adventures" with the other FBI, investigating a relative and a couple people with whom I was acquainted back in the day. No mistaking those guys. They look exactly as they are portrayed on TV..

What Garrett said about protecting the bases during the simmering, and also during the bleaching process.

12-Feb-16
Salon Care 40 is what I used to make a paste with the powder that VanDykes also sent me and was purchased right online.

12-Feb-16
What do you guys use to degrease skulls? I can usually get deer and elk skulls pretty white with peroxide but with bears they never seem to come out very clean.

12-Feb-16
Oxiclean......

12-Feb-16
cnelk,

explain the aquarium heater do you fill the bucket up with water then how much Dawn do you add? How long does it take? Never messed with a aquarium heater, and never heard of this.

thanks

12-Feb-16
I did my skulls the aquarium heater way too. Did them in the winter outside in Jan and feb. They do still smell. The dawn will help to degrease but you may have to do a seperate soak with the bear skulls before you do the peroxide whitening.

Here is agood tutorial !

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,48226.0.html

12-Feb-16
Reading these posts makes me think that the $100 I spend for my taxidermist to do it is worth the money. I'd probably screw it up anyways!

• Sitka Gear