Pyrannah 10-Feb-16
Inshart 10-Feb-16
Jaquomo 11-Feb-16
Pyrannah 11-Feb-16
cnelk 11-Feb-16
Jaquomo 11-Feb-16
Pyrannah 11-Feb-16
08-Feb-16
Anyone have experience with these group in Colorado? I didn't see any outfitter reviews...

Thanks

08-Feb-16
Don't know the outfitter but know the area very well. Their website is honest about the expected success rate, and the size of the bulls in their photos is representative of that specific area. Lots of smallish bulls with a few bigger ones around. Some other North Park outfitters embellish quite a bit and oonly show photos of the biggest ones taken.. But these guys are hunting public land, so the hunting will not be "ranch hunting" like most of the outfitters over there. It will be in beautiful country.

09-Feb-16
Jaq, thank you for taking a look. I really appreciate it. I have had a hard time finding anything on them. My buddy who wants to go has a friend who hunted there in the past and was successful and is going to go back. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any experiences...

Thanks again!

09-Feb-16
You might call the CO State Forest State Park and talk to whomever manages them. I do like how they admit their success rate ranges from "15 to 100%". That's exactly how it is in that area on public land. I think it would be a great experience for someone who wants an affordable wall tent camp hunt in killer country. You will see elk. Not everybody can close the deal.

People who want an almost guarantee for a big bull should instead pay big money for a ranch hunt.

09-Feb-16
I have no clue "if I can close the deal", but I'm going to give it 110% and do my damn best to kill an elk. At this point, I don't really care how big they are. I just want an opportunity to spend some time in great country.

The more research I do and hear the more I'm becoming acceptable to working with them.

Thank you for the posts and all the PMs!!!

Ben

09-Feb-16
There's two aspects to "closing the deal" that the guide can't control:

1) Can you shoot straight, under pressure? That's actually the easy one

2) Can you get into position when you need, as fast as you need? Given the altitude on their web site, 8000+, this means get your butt in shape, cardio is king!

I've no knowledge of them, but looked at their web site, it's done well which is a good sign. Now you need to figure out if you trust them!

I'd call him, get references, include at least 1 unsuccessful one. Ask that guy the most questions!

09-Feb-16
Thanks Bob, I do intend to call him the owner just to talk it out. I will ask for references as well.

I have heard a lot of good so far, no bad stuff yet, which is reassuring....

Workout started yesterday.

10-Feb-16
anyone on here ever go with these guys?

thanks

10-Feb-16
If you are looking for suggestions in that area, i would take a look at Red Feather Guides. I know where they hunt and there are a lot of elk and some big bulls. Also, I've run into the owner, Arnie, and a couple of his guides several times in the woods and they were about as nice and courteous as could be. They avoided an entire valley one time because they said they don't want to be stepping on my toes and they had plenty of other places to hunt. On another occassion, they happened by me while I was cleaning up some douche bag's abandoned camp. They had mules with empty panniers so they got down and helped me load up and the hauled all that trash out.

Those guys are first rate, IMO.

10-Feb-16
If you are looking for suggestions in that area, i would take a look at Red Feather Guides. I know where they hunt and there are a lot of elk and some big bulls. Also, I've run into the owner, Arnie, and a couple of his guides several times in the woods and they were about as nice and courteous as could be. They avoided an entire valley one time because they said they don't want to be stepping on my toes and they had plenty of other places to hunt. On another occassion, they happened by me while I was cleaning up some douche bag's abandoned camp. They had mules with empty panniers so they got down and helped me load up and the hauled all that trash out.

Those guys are first rate, IMO.

10-Feb-16
thanks andy, it will either be north park or montana. its booked and i was invited but want to get some first hand experience

thanks ben

10-Feb-16
We hunted a few different places in CO over the years and then hunted that area last year - by far the most hunters we've ever seen - on the roads, on the trails, and in the woods.

Every place there was a spot big enough to park a rig - there was someone parked there.

I don't hear bugles, but my partner said he heard people bugling all day long - every day.

I did shoot a cow, but the only reason was because it was bumped by other hunters and came tooling past. That was the only elk we saw and we hunted almost all day long every day for 7 days - planned on 10 days but just way to many hunters - we left on the 7th afternoon.

I'm not trying to rain on your hunt - just an FYI. I'm assuming an outfitter would be the way to go to get you away from other hunters, and that would be one of the questions to ask them "how far in do they go and do they have issues with hunters"?

11-Feb-16
Inshart, that sounds like a bummer of a trip. Congrats on bagging a cow, despite the challenges.

The only thing I can tell you is that the guys who are successful year after year in North Park get out of the woods and away from elk by about 9:30 am, and don't get back after it until around 4:30 at the earliest. That entire basin is a big swirling wind vortex during the day as soon as the thermals dissolve.

11-Feb-16
inshart, sorry to hear about your hunt. i apppreciate the feedback! these guys go in pretty far so im not to worried about the pressure.. we should be well far away feom others

thanks again ben

11-Feb-16
"these guys go in pretty far so im not to worried about the pressure.. we should be well far away feom others"

Yeaaaaaahhhhh.... Words not to live by.

We spent 9 days in the WY wilderness last fall, 5 miles in. More pressure than my OTC Colorado North Park areas.

Good luck in your hunt

11-Feb-16
Three friends backpacked into what they believed was a VERY remote basin on the other side of the mountain from where North Park Outfitters operate. I think they were about 6 miles in.

They saw more hunters than elk, had hunters on every ridge.

This new "Go Way Back" trend is awesome for us older hunters like me and cnelk.

To paraphrase the "Old bull and young bull" joke, the young Sitka Warrior says, "Lets backpack way into the wilderness and hunt an elk". The old Sidewalk Sale camo hunter says, "Lets walk a mile from the highway and hunt ALL the elk!".

11-Feb-16
lol, thanks for the advice cnelk!!! I'll keep that in mind, and continue to do some research and see what I can find...

Very good point Jaquomo...

Keep it coming!!

Thanks for all the help so far...

Ben

• Sitka Gear