MathewsMan 09-Feb-16
Buffalo1 09-Feb-16
Jasper 10-Feb-16
African Trophy 10-Feb-16
African Trophy 10-Feb-16
Jasper 10-Feb-16
Ken 10-Feb-16
08-Feb-16
I've cleaned and whitened my warthog skull and am looking for ideas on what to mount it on. I'm getting one eland mounted and my taxidermist is cleaning the other skull but I'll mount it. I make my own Skullhooker type mounts but never anything eland size. Would love to some skull mount pics and hear some ideas. Thanks!

08-Feb-16

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Warthog

08-Feb-16

Eland & Kudu

08-Feb-16

Warthog

08-Feb-16

Warthog

09-Feb-16
Nice Buff! Did you do the eland and kudu yourself?

09-Feb-16
My next trip to Africa will be all skull mounts more trophy fees

09-Feb-16

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I like some of them just set as they are

09-Feb-16

Here is an idea for a warthog as well, the article is a deer skull but any skull could work.

09-Feb-16
Mathews Man, your warthog skull looks great - did you do anything to it to restore it or the tusks back to that condition? Mine spent way too much time boiling, the tusks were bleached and the skull looks very porous. I shot a really good pig over there and the condition of the skull when it arrived home has always been a disappointment.

09-Feb-16
Badlander, I like the tusk color too. My skull is fine, tusks are too bleached. I gotta figure a way to stain them

09-Feb-16

badlander,

Yeah, it definately did not come like that. I sent it to my Beetle Skull friend in Georgia (Souther Skull Works) as it had lots of grease and such still- he degreased and whitened and then sealed it which helped a bunch. Other than missing 2 small teeth it is complete- happens when you get stuff from Africa.

I used Minwax stain on the tusks to get them back more realistic looking, they were very chalky and white prior to doing that.

Then, when I got the skull back I used some Bondo to glue them into the skull in a position like they looked originally.

I wanted to have a shoulder mount also, so I ordered replica tusks from McKenzie, then ground them down and shaped them just like the real ones appeared, and colored them as well.

The Mount of my warthog was accidentally done with my cape by my dad's taxidermist (I knew because mine had been attached by something and part of one ear was chewed off, so when I saw it I told him Barry did a really great job mounting my pig- I paid dad, and Barry pulled dad's tusks and put my re-created ones in on the mount- then he had to mount Dad's pig with the Cape I had gotten from Dad.

09-Feb-16
Warthog is probably one of my favorite Mounts- and initially, dad did not want us to shoot one.

09-Feb-16
Jasper,

I did not do any of the taxi work. I like to use knowledgeable taxidermists who do good work. I have to look at my mounts everyday. I want them looking good- that just sweetens the memories.

10-Feb-16
Mathewsman, what color Minwax stain did you use? Thanks!

10-Feb-16

African Trophy 's embedded Photo
Here is a completely different take on skull mounts. This guy is in SA and my dad did some stuff with him some years ago, and it still looks great. he uses solid wooded shields and real leather ontop of that, where he punch out the animal and hand paint it. Just a different idea

10-Feb-16

Just another example

10-Feb-16
AT, Those look great, very unique!

10-Feb-16

Ken's embedded Photo
Ken's embedded Photo
I had a taxidermy mount done, then took the skull and bought some fake tusks from VanDykes and mounted the skull on an Africa and arrow shaped plaque.

• Sitka Gear