Sapcut 12-Feb-16
Bill in MI 12-Feb-16
Sapcut 12-Feb-16
Franzen 12-Feb-16
Surfbow 12-Feb-16
Sapcut 12-Feb-16
09-Feb-16

rgb's Link
Found an interesting article about KUIU today....well- written, especially considering it's from mainstream media....

10-Feb-16
I liked the fact that it was neutral on the hunting thing. Jason has built a solid company.

10-Feb-16
Agreed, I thought the article was well done and was not the usual hunting piece you would expect to see. I was surprised to see the sale figures. I had no idea they ever had that much inventory in stock! Ha! Love my Kuiu gear, no matter how long it takes to get it, it's worth the wait.

10-Feb-16
I like Kuiu gear, I have quite a mix of that and FirstLite. When I saw the article on Facebook yesterday, my first thought was that pic of Jason with Donald Trump at SHOT show a few weeks ago, LOL. I'm betting a few phonecalls were made to Bloomberg on their behalf ;-)

10-Feb-16
Great article.

10-Feb-16
I read this last night...I thought it was well written and objective. Jason's built a great company, it's good to see him get recognized.

10-Feb-16
No wonder I have such a hard time getting their stuff. You guys quit buying so much so they will have what I need! Seriously, pretty good write up, good for you Jason.

10-Feb-16
50 million dollars this year...

What a great success story.

Even better to see a hunter capitalize on a market that was snubbed by companies that cater to treehuggers.

10-Feb-16
Cool looking stuff.

10-Feb-16
"he detailed his field tests with posts that typically ended with pictures of a gutted animal and a huge set of horns. It was a bloody spectacle—and hunters ate it up." So true - how many of us drooled over pix in the "where you found them" thread? If its gotta be good, and gotta be light, guess it's right.

11-Feb-16
I jumped to KUIU early...as soon as it was available. I didn't care much for the early iterations which were pretty spare on the little extras like vents, pockets, etc. The fit was also extremely hard to anticipate. I ended up selling all of it. A couple years later I reequipped and have been completely happy with just about everything. I am still impressed with the quality and the price advantage is undeniable.

I'm glad JH was able to transition from his time at Sitka and make KUIU a success. There have been plenty of complainers and detractors, but I guess any $50M company is bound to have some of that.

11-Feb-16
I wish Kuiu took PayPal as a form of payment.

I phoned them on Monday to inquire about it, and the lady who answered said they have received the very same question more times than they could count, but as of yet it still isn't accepted.

11-Feb-16
I'm sure KUIU won't altogether abandon the hunting line, but from the article it sounds like they are going to start marketing more to treehuggers, or maybe just the general populace, too.

11-Feb-16
Mike,

I'm not exactly certain of this: A credit or debit card payment/order can be left on-hold until a backorder can be filled...months later. KUIU doesn't accept actual payment until an order is fulfilled. I believe the PayPal system might not work so well with that practice. It could also be PP fees or maybe the hold that PP can put on paying the seller until after items are received. I just suspect KUIU doesn't like the PP arrangement for their business model.

11-Feb-16
"I just suspect KUIU doesn't like the PP arrangement for their business model."

I can fully understand that Kevin, but charging $, on my Credit Card, towards hunting items, doesn't fit my Wife's business model. So using PayPal, when I can, is my preferred method.

I know, in due time, I'll break down and get what I need eventually.

11-Feb-16
As a hunter, I buy some of the solid stuff. Gives me the option to wear it for other events. I don't like wearing camo in "public". Maybe goes back to my USMC days when we couldn't wear utilities off base.

I have a couple of pairs of pants that are solids. I can still hunt in them. Nothing wrong with marketing to non hunting crowd. More volume typically means better prices to consumers and KUIU has passed on cost savings in the past.

11-Feb-16
I've been dabbling in the techno clothing for the last year and a half, while trying to convince myself to cave in and get in the western tag draw game. From what I've seen, First Lite or KUIU will get my business over others. Affordability is something they seem to strive to achieve. It isn't cheap. But, both look like really good bang for the buck in comparison to Sitka.

Good for Him. God Bless men

11-Feb-16
WV, you gotta try KUIU. You just thought your current hunting pants were comfortable. You didn't even know they needed to be more comfortable. But you will know what you didn't have if you get KUIU.

And with the Thanksgiving sale you can get the Teton pants for about $63. And they are really nice. Why in the world would anyone buy Sitka instead, is beyond me.

11-Feb-16
Again, I own a mixture of Kuiu, First Lite, Kryptek, Artceryx, Patagonia,etc. the key is understanding layering, and buying whats on clearance, versus what's the latest craze. Kuiu is good stuff, and kudos to the company and reputation Jason has built. I do kinda hate seeing this whole aspirational aspect in the hunting clothing industry though. I ran into so many guys at the trailheads in CO last year, decked out head-to-toe in Kuiu, Sitka, or First Lite. Man, that'd be well over a grand, probably closer to 2K, just on clothing! I guess I am just a cheapskate :-P

12-Feb-16
Congrats to Jason for his success.

"I'm sure KUIU won't altogether abandon the hunting line, but from the article it sounds like they are going to start marketing more to treehuggers, or maybe just the general populace, too."

Or maybe for hunters who don't wear camo 24/7 but still want comfortable, functional clothing? That comment is tone deaf.

12-Feb-16
Maverick,

I appreciate your open-mindedness and willingness to help us all spot b-s. Here's a cookie!

12-Feb-16
Mav... you cannot be serious about either of your last 2 posts dude.

Poly cotton. That is laughable. I'm not saying the high end stuff is a must but really?

Do you hunt Alaska in that Wal Mart rain gear too? pfft

12-Feb-16
Maverick, who do you guide for....or are you a Walmart executive posing as a guide that has been there and dont that ?

12-Feb-16
Kuido's to Jason. Good, durable gear. An American success story in a day of people wanting handouts.

12-Feb-16
Thanks Maverick, I appreciate you letting me know where I will NOT be hiring an outfitter. Narrowing down always helps.

12-Feb-16
Here Maverick, have another cookie. This has nothing to do with me sheep hunting or not. Nothing to do with whether KUIU is the best cookie monster outfit or not. But instead your unprofessional arrogant personality. And that is a YOU problem. Hope you can get some help.

12-Feb-16

Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Bill in MI's embedded Photo

12-Feb-16
You sure a first class kinda guy...Oh and you killed a sheep.

I bet you are a bit sour that Jason and KUIU got the last Nahanni Butte sheep hunt.

You like produce? How ya like them apples?

12-Feb-16
No disrespect to anyone. I have plenty of that for Jason. It may be for hunters who want comfortable, functional clothing. I can buy comfortable, functional clothing in solid colors at a lot of retail stores for less if I want to. I don't understand why a simple observation can get the panties in such a wad?

12-Feb-16
Maverick, nice trolling, now go back to your Yearn for Bern rally...let us love Cruz in peace...

12-Feb-16
How many Sanders Socialites you think can afford a sheep hunt? Whenever the financially blessed relinquishes their blessings to the Sanders System, not only will the sheep hunters disappear, the sheep hunter guides of the world will also be relinquished.

But I can always wear my KUIU comfortably into Walmart.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear