elkwatcher 11-Feb-16
casper 11-Feb-16
wyliecoyote 12-Feb-16
BULELK1 12-Feb-16
Garbo 12-Feb-16
Quinn @work 13-Feb-16
Brad 21-Feb-16
10-Feb-16
Dang Greenhorns... I'll try this again. Hey guys, I've been searching over maps and making several phone calls trying to get an idea what moose unit I'd prefer to hunt. This is most likely a hunt of a lifetime for me considering the years it's taken to accumulate enough preference points, I hope. I have it narrowed to a few areas in west central and southwest WY. If anyone has some experience hunting moose in these areas and willing to give up some info, I'd sure like to get a PM and learn about it. I can give some more details then. Thanks for any help!!!

10-Feb-16
Guys will be able to help you better if you list how many points you have and if you're going DIY or guided.

10-Feb-16
I have lots of moose "hunting" experience. Everywhere I look when I'm elk hunting there seems to be another bull.

I assume you are hunting on your own and not looking for an outfitter. If so make sure you have a plan to get that sucker out.

Ditto Idyll.... how many points?

10-Feb-16
Did 24 two years ago, going to take 15 points this year.

10-Feb-16
I'm sitting on 14 points, definitely diy! Pack out will be the biggest issue by far. I'll go later in the cooler weather, later in September and in October if another trip is needed.

10-Feb-16

Bowboy's Link
Look at draw odds and see what unit you can draw with your current points.

10-Feb-16
unit 25 should be a possibility some wolves and grizz not bad but private land or outfitter would be best.

10-Feb-16
I hunted 25 two years ago and also tagged along with another hunter in 4 after I killed my bull. Lots of moose in those areas but I think you're still quite a few years out from being able to draw there.

Last year it took at least 14 to draw area 25 and only 28% of those with 14 drew. It's almost certainly going to take 15 or more thiis year unless you get lucky in the random draw.

10-Feb-16
I hunted 26 last year with 15 points and that means 16 this year most likely and a small chance at 15 .

10-Feb-16
You're just behind the curve.

I'd put in for a good unit that you probably won't draw expecting not to draw and wait it out 3-5 years. You should have a good chance for a good hunt then.

Do you have a pressing reason to burn them now? There's units you could draw now, but the magic number is 15 currently. You'd really expand your options if you could wait till you catch up one point of creep.

11-Feb-16
You are getting some very good advice above. Point creep is very real in the WY moose draw.

If you have 14 points and are looking to apply for areas that required at least 14 points last year...you will likely be disappointed when the draw results are posted.

Of course, there is always a chance. But if the goal is to moose hunt this year, look at areas that required 13 points or less in 2015.

11-Feb-16
I hunted 40 in 2010. I dumped my points in a marginal area because I saw point creep and wolves eating up my chances at quickly dwindling non res moose tags.

Sandbrew

11-Feb-16
You guys are bumming me out, am setting on 13 for 2015... Am never going to draw...8^)

11-Feb-16
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I'm probably going to send in for a marginal area. With looking for a nice, respectable size moose, I'm not just too particular. If the good Lord wants me to hunt moose in WY I'll draw, If I don't draw, well, I guess I'll just have to drag myself to the elk woods...not too bad for a back up plan.

11-Feb-16
Keep in mind that finding and killing a nice respectable moose DIY in a marginal area is no slam dunk. With that much time and money invested it might be better to be patient and wait a few more years.

11-Feb-16
I have 16 moose points with no real expectation of drawing my "wish" unit. Not a fan of PP's; i'm just stubborn/naive enough to stay in and not cognitively recognize each year I punch the "pay now" key I'll likely just get an unsuccessful draw result and another PP point. It's a sportsmans tax for an opportunity to hunt Wyoming moose someday with a stick and string. My other hobbies are just as expensive and challenging so what the hell....it's only money! I like your back up plan, best of luck with your draws.

11-Feb-16

casper's embedded Photo
casper's embedded Photo
I drew 26 with 15 points and decided to hunt private land creek bottom at the end of fontanel creek rd. I paid 2000.00 to hunt this land and had a fantastic moose hunt. I went archery mid sept and found 3 good bulls and stalked and shot this one. I had a great time with my 14 year old son and was the only hunter on the 4 miles of creek bottom. I could have probably done this public land but hey you can't take your money with you. This was a do it your self hunt and nothing came with it except the trespass fee for 2 grand. I feel lucky just to have drawn and had such a good time with my son camping and hunting with no pressure and getting it done with the bow was icing on the cake.

12-Feb-16

wyliecoyote's embedded Photo
wyliecoyote's embedded Photo
Dan, Very nice bull!! I have been wondering if you drew and if so, how it went. Your bull looks almost identical to the one I took in 2014 unit 26...Congratulations on a great trophy and unforgettable memories with your boy. I had my son with me also and he still hasn't forgiven me for the pack out job!! About killed us both....

Joe

12-Feb-16
Dang nice bulls you 2-!

I sent ya a PM bh2e

Good luck, Robb

12-Feb-16
I drew unit 27 in 2014 with 13 pp. I could see the point creep keeping me from some of the better areas for another few of years, but I really wanted to finally hunt moose in Wyoming. The biggest struggle in 27 is skirting around the private ground. I managed to take a decent old bull with some goofy antlers, but I was thrilled. The unit had an extended season into November the year I hunted to allow the moose hunters to hunt the bulls that move from the High Unitas. I was planning on waiting it out to see if that would bring better hunting, but took my bull before the weather hit.

13-Feb-16
Casper I sent you a PM.

21-Feb-16
Anybody ever hunted 22? I have 14 points. Looking for a diy.

• Sitka Gear