Inshart 14-Feb-16
Inshart 14-Feb-16
Inshart 14-Feb-16
Inshart 14-Feb-16
WFG in NM 14-Feb-16
10-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
How do you secure your bugle tube while on the move during an elk hunt? I usually just wedge the narrow end between the anchor point of the shoulder strap and the waist belt. Problem is it usually works itself loose. I want it tucked back yet easy to access fast. Also, when I take my pack off for some reason then it bounces around. I do use an s-clip and ALWAYS have it secured to my pack at some point though. Got tired of losing one a year and haven't since doing that. I don't like having the strap over my shoulder and neck because it gets in the way of binocular straps, range finders and is one more thing to deal with.

Any suggestions? I have a couple ideas...and a 3D printer to make them happen but I'd like to see if anybody else already has a better and simple solution.

10-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Here is the s-clip that has saved me from losing a couple bugle tubes. Sorry Paul.

10-Feb-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Jason, no sweat man! Man you have an older version there, we've called in 100's of bulls with that old warrior!

In the photo you can see how we carry the bugle. The mouthpiece end is in a pocket about the size you'd carry a water bottle in, it's in there 8" or so. The barrel is strapped in with a buckle that on the pack. I can easily grab it out with my left hand for use but not reinstall it. My son will generally tuck it back in if he's there & it's not needed for a while.

I also have carried it while in use in the same spot you have under lower end of shoulder strap. Only temporarily there though. I need to invent a fool proof system that would work with any bugle size! (grin)

ElkNut1

10-Feb-16
I just throw it over my shoulder with provided strap adjusted after everything else is on and it slides under my arm for use.

10-Feb-16
I struggle with this as well and was going to post the same question. I hate having the string over my shoulder and constantly having it shift around, in the way, and having to take it off every time I drop my pack.

I want to make a holster attached to my pack that I can just reach back and pull out the tube as well as shove it back in. Shouldn't be too difficult to make. I'm surprised there isn't one available already....or maybe there is and I don't know about it?

10-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Hey midwest, glad to see somebody else with the same concerns. Do you have any horizontal 1" straps on your hip belt like this? I can easily design and make a clip to for webbing like this and have an adjustable strap to accommodate different tube diameters. That still leaves the larger end floating but I have a simple idea for that too. Have to take baby steps.

10-Feb-16
Exactly as Royboy describes. I use a small, highly flexible grunt tube that's 18" long and 1 1/2" OD. I slide it up when I need it and slide it back when I don't. Never had a problem with it moving. It doesn't budge unless I want it too. I mostly hunt by myself, so not only do I use it before I get in tight, but once I do, I use it to throw my call in whatever direction I need. The last thing I want when I'm hunting is to use a grunt tube that resembles a whiffle ball bat to contend with.

10-Feb-16
Same as wyo and RoyBoy- Over my shoulder. Tube is behind my back, parallel to my pack frame and doesn't move around. Spin it around when I want to use it.

Only issue is when you take off pack and set your tube off to the side. (And remember taking it off 2 hours and miles back)

10-Feb-16
YZF - I like the clip idea and will have one on my bugle for this up-coming hunt.

10-Feb-16
Not very well evidently!

11-Feb-16
Over my shoulder too, but have a clip as well that has saved it many times from being lost (that S clip looks great, mine is just a lightweight plastic snap hook.) I tie an overhand loop to the lanyard where the clip is so the end of the tube is always where I want it to be. Clip it to a high point on my pack's shoulder strap normally on the back side. Hangs on my right side as I hold my bow in my left hand. Tube end is usually under my right arm between the arm and my body. Don't even have to look to bring it to bear....

I have an Elknut tube as well from several years ago, but modified the mouth section, replacing it with a bit larger diameter (to fit my mouth inside the tube) and a couple inches longer than stock tube section. =D

11-Feb-16
I adjust a side strap on my Superday so I can slip my tube in, mouthpiece down, on the right side of the pack. Wedges in in there nicely. I can reach up, pull it out and slip it back in with one hand.

11-Feb-16
Great post! I've never been able to figure it out either.

11-Feb-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Found a pic.

11-Feb-16
I have a single string that runs around my bugle. The mouth piece hangs down the big end points up. I slide it back and fourth as needed around the top of my pack.

11-Feb-16
I don't! I loose them all the time! LOL!

11-Feb-16
Elk Nut, Rocky J, Abe have all been kept in business by us trying something different and/ or no paying attention in the woods.

I still have more bugle tubes than I've lost over the years. Maybe I'm getting more careful or just cheap

G

12-Feb-16
Most packs have a water bottle or 2 holders on them.

I like putting my bugle tube in one of them....

Prolly depends on the size of your 'tube' though!

I am a Primos and Wayne Carlton type guy though.

Good luck, Robb

12-Feb-16
i have a Alaskan Guide bino holder. I slide my bugle tube crosswise under the straps.

12-Feb-16
when i'm not rushing = very securely using compression straps along the side of my pack, with the string on the bugle tube looped in the middle to pass one of the compression straps through that extra loop .

when I'm rushing = deceptively unsecure along the side of my pack so it can fall out when i need it most.

13-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Phase 1 complete. Here is the clip idea I came up with and just 3D printed. It's simple version of a web dominator but with slots for a piece of elastic or webbing to make an adjustable holster. I just happen to have this extra webbing with a buckle to try. It actually works very well and doesn't flop around as freely as I thought it would. It's nice because it is easily accessible right behind the hip and not in the way.

13-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo

13-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Installed in a few seconds.

13-Feb-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Now it's over the shoulder strap anchor and tucked up to the pack.

13-Feb-16
Tucked under a short bungee cord that's hooked into two belt loops on my pants. Bungee doubles as a belt.

13-Feb-16
I have an Eberlestock Just One J34 pack. That pack had the built in gun scabbard. My bugle fits perfectly in that compartment. I can reach behind my head with the pack on and easily retrieve and put it back. It hauls very securely. TODDY

13-Feb-16
I use a plains quiver or a back quiver which always hangs on right side or back right in case of back quiver. Bugle hangs on left side so when not in use it goes in back right next to quiver but easily slides around when I want to use it. I have used the same bugle every season for the last 35 years. Have found several in the woods though.

God bless, Steve

13-Feb-16

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Like ELKMAN...I'm prone to losing bugle tubes.

The photo is what happens when one loses his bugle tube too far from the nearest town to justify missing a day's hunting. I used three 20oz Gatorade bottles, duct tape, an archer's sleeve and a length of parachute cord to construct this makeshift bugle tube.

13-Feb-16

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Finished product. Of course I use mouth reeds or this would not have been possible.

These days, I always keep a spare in the truck!

13-Feb-16
Nice work Pav, my 2012 bull was called in with a paper towel tube my buddy taped an external reed to. Whatever it takes!

13-Feb-16
pav, great idea, looks like it would work just fine too!

ElkNut1

13-Feb-16
I evidently don't do it right. So, I won't post what I've done. I'll just say I haven't elk hunted much. But, I have lost 2(TWO) of the dang things.

14-Feb-16
pav, It's not a toilet plunger but it looks like it would do! lol

14-Feb-16
Pav, love the innovation!!

Got a story about how it worked?

14-Feb-16
The makeshift bugle tube sounded fine and I was able to pull a few smallish satellite bulls into my lap with it. But unfortunately, I don't have a good story to tell about bugling in the big one. Best bull I called in was a nice satellite 6X5...and the cow call pulled him in on a string.

14-Feb-16

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
I had an old head-lamp that I took the elastic off of an sewed it onto my pack frame. Hopefully the pictures will show what I'm talking about.

14-Feb-16

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo

14-Feb-16

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo

14-Feb-16

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
I tried it a few times and you can actually pull it up far enough that all you have to do is simply turn your head and bugle without having to even use your hands. I would think that might come in handy a time or two.

14-Feb-16
I usually use my hand or a string.

--Bill

• Sitka Gear