ridgerunnerron 15-Feb-16
writer 16-Feb-16
Paul@thefort 16-Feb-16
tacklebox 16-Feb-16
writer 16-Feb-16
Ermine 16-Feb-16
skullz 28-Feb-16
10-Feb-16
Looking at heading up first of April to try and get my Merriams. I have been looking at this the last couple years and have decided to pull the trigger on it this year. Anyway plan is to hunt public but am not above knocking on doors and asking permission. Any one know how the flocks are looking in that area of the state? I have called the DOW and left a message as well. Anyways looking for any tips or help from anyway that has been there done that. Thanks

13-Feb-16
Yes planning on going Archery. Thanks for the advice on the hills wasn't sure what to expect for terrain.

13-Feb-16
You don't need to go all the way west to shoot Merriams! If you hunt anywhere along the Niobrara or the Keya Paha rivers you will be able to shoot a ton of birds. Its a lot closer and you can get Merriam or hybreds or easterns! After you get into eastern NE go north towards Ponca and go along the Missouri towards Spencer, Naper, Niobrara and you'll find all the turkeys you want. There are several public area's or just stop and do some door knocking and you'll have a lot of land to hunt. Hope this helps! Take your cold/ snow weather clothing with you. I've been there in mid april and had snow up to the bumper! There's a small motel in Ponca and one in Spencer!

Good Luck

13-Feb-16
ce2hunt

Sorry! Though you were from WI! Anyway, since you coming from OK, hunt along the Republican River. Check out the McCook area, Swanson Res. area the Red Willow area's. these area's also have a on of birds. Again, Good Luck!

14-Feb-16
Thanks guys! And I'm not opposed to hunting the Black Hills.

14-Feb-16
I've hunted some in SW Nebraska and like Bighurt mentioned there tend to be more rios or rio crosses. There tend to be more crosses until you get in the NW corner.

15-Feb-16
Hate to do it, but gotta agree with TBM.

If you have hybrids in an area, you're hunting hybrids. Some hybrids have white saddles and fan feathers and some have dark brown, and many are in between.

If you are anywhere near prairie, you're hunting hybrids.

Besides, it's the topography that makes a Merriams or eastern hunt special, or Rio of Florida.

If you want a real eastern, hunt the big hardwoods and not some tiny woodlot. Luckily for the Florida, you have to go to south Florida.

15-Feb-16
Hate to do it, but gotta agree with TBM.

If you have hybrids in an area, you're hunting hybrids. Some hybrids have white saddles and fan feathers and some have dark brown, and many are in between.

If you are anywhere near prairie, you're hunting hybrids.

Besides, it's the topography that makes a Merriams or eastern hunt special, or Rio of Florida.

If you want a real eastern, hunt the big hardwoods and not some tiny woodlot. Luckily for the Florida, you have to go to south Florida.

15-Feb-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Here is last years tom from 30 miles NE of Scottsbluff NE. Looks like a true Merriams but is it really?

my best, Paul

15-Feb-16
It's a beautiful bird Paul, regardless of lineage.

15-Feb-16

He is. He came strutting by at 5 yards and into the decoys, 10 yards away where he ran into the sharp end of the arrow. He weighted between 22-25 pounds.

Paul

15-Feb-16
Why jerk around and hunt in an area or state if u def want a true Merriams? I hunted where I did in certain areas of Colo, NM, WY and SD for a true as possible Merriams.

16-Feb-16

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
I'd do New Mexico or Wyoming, up in the ponderosas. THAT is Merriam's country, if you want classic.

Have a mount in my basement that looks just like that, Paul.

..and my son shot one that looked like a true Rio about four or five miles away, about an hour before that.

Were they both pure? Nope.

Judging genetics on turkeys is like judging weight or antler scores.

My young buddy Jake bow-killed this bird last April...in an area known to have had hybrids for years --- Eastern and Rio hybrids.

No, he's not claiming it's a Merriam's for his Grand Slam.

16-Feb-16
Writer, there is a outfitter 20 miles from where I killed this tom in NW Nebraska and claims they hunt "pure" Merriams.

Hard to tell. I only know when I hunt western Colorado, I am into pure Merriams.

Paul

16-Feb-16
Doing the same hunt the third week of April. NW NE... Looking forward to it very much. I couldn't really care less if it is a "true" Merriams. I twill be a new hunt in some new land with an old friend. Gonna be a blast

16-Feb-16
Don't forget to send us pics, Paul.

I don't care about a turkey's DNA anymore, and think "The Slam" is so highly over-rated.

16-Feb-16
I made a big trip up to the north west corner. Saw lots and lots of birds. But they were all on private. A lot of the private was leased up. It was a bust for me

28-Feb-16
Im not a huge turkey hunter....don't get me wrong I love it but I see it as passing time until I can chase antelope. That being said Ive probably killed 30 or so 10 with a shotgun when I was younger but the last 20 or so have all been with trad equipment both RC and LB.....Just by pure luck Ive happened to grow up hunting mainly marries in the foothills of Co. Its a lot like elk hunting to me. then Ive hunted Ne every year for the last 15 yrs and just have one of those spots where it isn't a stretch to see 500+ birds a day. some the same flocks at different times Im sure but none the less unreal turkey hunting! that spot is def major cross breading so I don't claim those one type or another. One year a buddy invited me to his ranch and I smacked a Rio spot and stalk. One of my most memorable stalks on any game species so the rio was marked off. I also have a family farm in south central Mo and again don't plan or make a big production about it but Ive hubted the farm since we bought it about 20yrs ago so that was my eastern. I would never and I mean NEVER go to florida to finish the slam although I think its something cool to do and a neat accomplishment w trad gear. Ill certainly never Goulds either. I will say this for whatever reason Im pretty pumped about this year for some reason year and was thinking whilst writing this maybe I should go to florida and get the "slam" I would only do it if it was a hog hunt coupled by morning evening turkeys. So for you turkey fanatics out there I thought Id throw this out there if anyone has land or knows of a good florida hog/turkey hunt that wants to come out west Id be willing to get someone a true marrie in Co on private in the mountains and or go put the hurt on em in Ne. We could do both easily I have three different spots in Nebraska all privte that are all huge rxcept one smaller area in noth central but its still awesome there too. If you really want a merrie I think the wa y to go as they are def going to be the most difficult (Ive yet to be skunked though} but ive had to hunt hard for several days to get it done. then we head straight out about 4 1/2 hours east to my sacred honey hole that is as good as turkey hunting gets and whack a couple birds there! There ya go a god litte fun trade type of hunt! offers there just pm me trav I did this once before bc a guy really wanted to hunt the Ozarks like he did growing up for deer so I put him up on my farm in Mo where he killed a couple deer in exchange for a Washington bear hunt that he said he had wired in.....he took a couple deer but then he got a different job or something and canceled on me 3 years in a row that was 6 or 7 years ago and still am waiting for that bear hunt! oh well life happens. cheers

• Sitka Gear