smurph 11-Feb-16
casper 12-Feb-16
YZF-88 12-Feb-16
smurph 12-Feb-16
smurph 12-Feb-16
pav 12-Feb-16
HDE 12-Feb-16
11-Feb-16
put in for la sal bull elk, 12 points, what is my chance of drawing? thanks for any help. Utah of course.

11-Feb-16
Hard to say.

Last year, two guys competed for the bonus archery elk tag with 11 points. One of them got to hunt...so 50% odds....last year.

Problem is...we're talking one tag...so it only takes one applicant to throw a wrench in the odds.

11-Feb-16
That makes since, is there any way to know the size of the bulls killed there the last couple years? thanks for your info pav, is the hunt worth 12 points in your opinion?

11-Feb-16
I have no first hand experience in the unit, just looked up the draws odds for you on HuntersTrailhead.

Worth 12 points? Really depends on your goal. Plenty of public ground...and you should be into bulls in the 320" range...maybe better. If you are looking to put your tag on something considerably bigger...probably be best to wait.

11-Feb-16
I will look at hunter trailhead, not familiar with it. kind of had the same feel on the unit as you. I have kill four bulls over the years that are 290-305 net, so I was hoping 320-350, probably be disappointed to not have a realistic chance at that kind of bull.

11-Feb-16
do you have to pay to use hunters trailhead?

11-Feb-16
Yes. The price just went up from $25/yr to $35/yr. It's still worth it.

11-Feb-16

YZF-88's Link
This one appears to be free. I looked at how they do the math to calculate the odds and it makes sense.

11-Feb-16
I have hunted that unit quite a few years for spike or cows. I hunted deer on it too. The first years we hunted it were just for deer. As the years passed the elk herd grew. It is loaded with elk and spike/cow hunters. There are a lot of nice bulls if you are willing to work for them. My buddies son shot a 350"t bull with a rifle a few years back. If I could draw I would go for it myself

11-Feb-16
Thank you, yzf88 ( weird handle!)) will check it out tonight. Boly, thanks, I really want to get to see a couple good Bulls. I totally understand killing a 350 bull is rare. Is private land a problem on the unit? Anybody know how big the herd is?

11-Feb-16
No problem. I don't know how that data compares to the Hunters Trailhead though. There are a couple other units you could draw as well. Looking at the timing of the season this year it'd probably be best to pull the release this year on whichever unit would allow you the most time to pre-scout or hunt longer based on your logistical constraints (if any).

*Yes my user name is odd in retrospect. Used to race motocross and stadiumcross every waking minute I wasn't hunting (Yamaha YZ-250F...#88). Bowhunting is much safer!

11-Feb-16
Already in for la sal, yzf. Just want a lot of elk and a few big ones. Wil definitely be in contact if I get drawn. Tired of trying to figure out Utah so figured I would pick one and see how it goes. Did draw book cliff deer a few years ago, great hunt. Saw quite a few elk too but not quite the terrain I like to elk hunt. Maybe I screwed up and should have stayed with that unit.

12-Feb-16
join huntin fool and maybe you will know what your actually applying for, and could maybe draw or do your own research.

12-Feb-16
I drew Book Cliffs deer last year and scouted it a couple times. Liked what I saw and had help from guys here on where to start. Too bad they didn't stop me from breaking my foot two weeks before the season. Had to turn in the tag. I'd like to compare notes on how your hunt went sometime. Good luck in the drawing.

12-Feb-16
Casper, Garth carter has hunted white tail at my place. Been a member probably longer than you knew they were around. Know all about that. So get off your high horse if you want to be helpful. Keep using huntin fool like the rest of the sheep all good to me.

12-Feb-16
Yzf, be glad too help really liked my experience there. Let me know if you draw again still have my maps and waiting for my next chance. Tim

12-Feb-16
Book Cliffs is typically a tougher draw than LaSal (i.e. more points required). I drew the Books for archery elk in 2010. Lots of 320" bulls in that unit. Saw a couple that I believe were 350"+. Amazing the number of big mature 5X5's I saw running around in that unit.

Given your points, you made the right choice IMO.

12-Feb-16
You can get a 350 bull in the La Sal unit.

• Sitka Gear