JohnB 16-Feb-16
houndy65 17-Feb-16
BowmanMD 17-Feb-16
Surfbow 17-Feb-16
IAHUNTER 17-Feb-16
John Haeberle 18-Feb-16
Candor 18-Feb-16
11-Feb-16
After making the 24 hr. drive from Pennsylvania to Colorado for the past two years, my father and I are fully hooked on hunting elk in the West. This fall we were not able to make it out because I have entered into my first year of medical school. So for the next 4-8 years, depending on where I do my residency, I will not be able to go hunting with my Dad for elk. In the meanwhile we are looking to build up some points so that when I get out, we can go on a couple of mid-level archery or late rifle hunts.

My question for you gentlemen would be, if you were in my position and had to be on the sidelines for 4 to 8 years, what other states would you be trying to build points in, and what area would you be looking at to hunt as soon as you got the chance. Thank you in advance for your feedback and feel free to PM me.

God Bless

Paul

11-Feb-16
I buy pts in WY because they are cheap and you don't need to buy a license to buy pts. I'm from NY

11-Feb-16
Wy, co, ut, are the ones I currently do. i really haven't researched any others.

NM is not a concern. AZ is crazy expensive. Don't know about MT or ID.

11-Feb-16
Everywhere that you can afford to.

If you can't work out hunting during residency, than you picked the wrong residency :) Everyone gets vacation.

11-Feb-16
Medical residency in Denver or Salt Lake City?

11-Feb-16
Everywhere they have points except CO.

11-Feb-16
Colorado has good elk hunting in some low point area as well as OTC units and high point units with the largest elk #s in the west. Don't know why Delmag is down on Colorado unless it is the assumed lack of trophy quality?

11-Feb-16
Sure sounds like your head is screwed on right. Lots of advice here so far. Good for you.

11-Feb-16
As long as being a Physician in 4-8 years does not become socialized in our Country, you will be able to do about any kind of hunting you wish to.

Do it while you can, my dad has gotten to where bowhunting/age/physical issues pretty much preclude us from doing most hunts anymore together.

11-Feb-16
I was in your boat about 10 years ago. I didn't do residency, but I was newly married, broke, with no time to do anything. . .

I'm still broke, with no time to do anything, but I've been on some good hunts :)

WY is a must for your time frame. 4-8 years of points will get you some good dang WY hunts, in my opinion

AZ I think is a must. It is more expensive just to get points

IA whitetail--don't overlook this

NV, UT, MT sheep, etc. is a lot longer shots, and you'll have to wait longer, but worth it for some of us

Bake

11-Feb-16
don't wait

tags might cost you $1500 each in 4-6 years

seriously

11-Feb-16
He'll be able to afford it.

For about $1000/yr, you can build points for about 25 different western tags. The question is, what can you afford over the next 4.

11-Feb-16
Buy every state that lets you build points. Any points are almost always better than no points. Pick the hunts later.

Why not do your residency in a good western state? Less populated communities out there are crying for doctors. In a year you will have all the benefits of in-state hunting, and it will be a heck of a lot easier to pull off a hunt logistically and time-wise if you're already there.

Keep an eye on your dad's condition. As many here can attest, the warranty expires when you turn 40, and it can go fast and be long and hard to get back (if ever).

11-Feb-16
Idyl wild should be your guy on this one. Like he said everything you can afford.

11-Feb-16
Working as a physician doesnt leave a lot of time for other things. I work in healthcare and I would never want to be a physician. As much as I hunt and fish, I wouldn't get to do half of what I do if I were a physician.

But to answer your question... I'd apply to Colorado, Wyoming, Utah. Not sure the other states are worth it...

11-Feb-16
No advice but congrats on making it to med school and good luck!

11-Feb-16
Based on your criteria and time frame....Arizona, Wyoming and Colorado.

But if I were you I'd investigate all the other options for getting elk tags, given your future resource situation. If Elk were my big priority & desire, I might hunt a premium unit in Utah or Nevada every year, or until I got sick of it.

Of course, you have to get the degree & finish residency first...good luck ;-)

11-Feb-16
AZ for late rifle. You'll have a tag waiting for you when you're done with school.

11-Feb-16
WY, Co, AZ. In that order

11-Feb-16
Do not forget to apply in Nevada too!

12-Feb-16
AZ isn't that great for anyone starting now, and if you will have a Dr's salary you can buy landowner tags.................. I say skip AZ. You got everyone applying for the same 25 tags. I almost hate to give advice because the states are changing the draw system in each state more frequently so there is no way of telling what the future holds. If you make a huge salary you can pull off a good hunt every year in the west though. Make the money and then worry about hunting later. In the mean time I say shoot prairie dogs or skeet or trap if you only have a couple hour breaks in a week so at least you are outdoors doing manly stuff.

12-Feb-16
I work at University of new mexico hospital which is the states only level one trauma center and is a training hospital. Lots of good to very good residency programs here. Put it on your list and as a bonus you'll be able to hunt/fish and get out on your limited time off. Excellent elk hunting here...

12-Feb-16
Thank you all for the feedback! It seems like the top contenders other than Colorado are WY,AZ,NV and UT.

Because i am on a limited budget, no $1000/yr here... im living on loans (grin), in what order would you rank the states in cost vs opportunity to hunt in 10 years???

12-Feb-16
I would do something else I enjoy.

12-Feb-16
A local ER doc takes more hunting trips than anybody. Think about a career in emergency medicine. Long hours on and long hours off.

13-Feb-16
Where are you going to med school?

You will get some vacation time in school, the problem is if it's in September! Utah has early archery elk season in mid August which might hit a summer vacation. Bottom line though if you want to hunt elk during Med school you can make it happen- many of your classmates will have life event and take some time like getting married, and many females will miss a few weeks having a baby.

Life will go on the next 4-8 yrs so live it. Don't miss a chance to hunt with your DAd now because in who knows in 8 yrs if he will be able to (heck you don't even know if you will)

I had a friend in Dental school I met 1st year. One of the few who also hunted. He had never hunted elk having grown up in CA, so we talked about a cow elk hunt the next year on a long weekend and I was going to hunt some pigs with him. Needless to say he died the next year of an inoperable acoustic neuroma before he hunted elk.

13-Feb-16
PM sent.

13-Feb-16
PM sent

16-Feb-16
Precisely why I never went to med school. And when you're out, you really won't have time. I'll stick with farming, running my landscape business and being an ER RN.

16-Feb-16
Alright, I gotta say something now that two Debbie Downers have pooped on your thread.

Everyone of us choose how much we work. From the techs all the way up to the Docs and the administration. Some people choose jobs that have a lot of hours. Some don't. And that goes for each field.

Saying that Medical School is a bad idea because you have to work too much is nonsense. If you choose a career path that requires those kinds of hours, then sure, you work a lot, but it doesn't have to be that way if you don't want it to.

I have known RNs that work twenty-five 12 hr shifts/month...because they can and choose to.

I work 6 months/yr. That means I have 6 months of vacation/yr. I consider myself semi-retired at 37 even though I have a full income. I spend 6 weeks/yr on the road hunting, still hunt daily at home, and still have plenty of time off to do what I want the other 4 months/yr. I make a healthy 6 digit income and I would bet money that I have more time to do what I want than Thorton and Mossyhorn AND make more money than them.

Discouraging people from going to Medical School is the dumbest thing I think I've ever read on Bowsite. There are gigs all over this country and abroad that pay handsomely and give flexible hours.

16-Feb-16
I don't mean to be a Debbie downer but, your Dad isnt getting any younger. My dad was nearing retirement, I bought some land and it turns out he had a brain tumor. He used a cane now and isn't comfortable walking in the woods so the time you have now, could be worth more than you know. Take the opportunities while you have them.

16-Feb-16
You could probably provide some interesting broadhead autopsy pics complete with a knowledgeable description. Congrats on the med school and keep hunting with Dad mine passed at the age of 45.

17-Feb-16
Transfer to a medical school out west, my son is currently going to law school in Colorado and he loves it.

17-Feb-16
I wouldn't even worry about points....where you are headed from the perspective of purchasing power...you simply won't need them.

17-Feb-16
"if you couldn't hunt for the next 4-8 years"--well, that's because you choose not to. I went through med school and residency and hunted plenty, all while having little kids (4 in med school, 1 in residency), getting good grades, and matching in a super competitive residency. I'm certainly not tooting my own horn, just sharing to let you know that it's all about priorities. Family and school came first (mostly in that order), but I still had time to hunt quite a bit. I wasn't going on big out-of-state trips, but I got out. I also did school all on loans which meant I didn't have a lot of extra money to play the point game, but I built points in a few of the less-expensive states--AZ (cheap only because it was my home state), UT, and WY. The others were too much for the family budget. I've since cashed-in on some of those points for some great hunts.

Like Idyllwildarcher said, it's all about priorities. Enjoy the ride--it's a great one and worth every minute!

17-Feb-16
^This!

My wife just finished her residency last summer. Her med school brought us (back) to Colorado, and we got to stay here for her residency match. We were able to get away on plenty of long weekends while she was in school, but not quite as many during residency just due to the crazy schedules. While it was tough, we were able to have fun on the journey as well. The only advice my wife has for you is to stick with it no matter how frustrated or stressed you get, it will be well worth it when you're done.

...And by the way, I'd build points in CO, WY, AZ, and then apply for residencies close to those places!

17-Feb-16
Life is short, it can be here one minute and gone the next. I understand the belief that one must not miss a day of college, I was very much that way.

I took about 8 years off hunting with my dad and brother because of school and would not do that again. My dad is 74 and likes to fish, but may never elk hunt with me, but he could have ten years ago.

I now live a life of "oh, wells" instead of a life of "what if's."

Take the ride, just don't forget who you are or loose yourself in the process and I would suggest to get out and hunt with your dad, my friend!

Sending you a PM!

18-Feb-16
I know a little about med school ... having done it, and currently teaching med students in Laramie, WY. I can tell you all ... hunting during medical school isn't going to happen.

Wife and I just went back to our honeymoon spot -- we were both in med school at the time. We laughed that we actually bought two beers in one of the bars and remembered that back then just one was a splurge.

Living on loans isn't fun, and paying them back isn't, either!

I have one bit of financial advice: Don't buy things you can't afford. It sounds like points in multiple states are in that category. Don't sweat it, though. The point-chasers out there on the internet have us all convinced that if we don't have double-digit points in 3 states, we're losers.

Well, I'm here to tell you that you can still hunt without double-digit points.

Point accumulation takes two things: time and money. You have 50% of that. That's not enough.

Dive into your work. It will take up 100% of your effort, and your time. And then residency will increase that work. For the next seven to ten years, that's your life. Enjoy it.

18-Feb-16
I never would have imagined reading on a hunting website someone discouraging someone else from working hard when they are young.

You aren't guaranteed tomorrow for sure. But if one does live for 20 years most are much happier knowing they got after it and put themselves ahead. It is what has made America great. And the opposite from so many of the millennials that presents a seeming threat. We all have different "balance points" of what brings satisfaction. I am glad my balance point did not allow for me to be a short-timer when I was in my 20s.

Good luck to the OP. Even when you have plenty of funds you will appreciate the accumulation of points and the alternatives it affords you.

• Sitka Gear