ARROWONE 17-Feb-16
Hunting5555 23-Feb-16
Brotsky 23-Feb-16
MoBowhunter 23-Feb-16
Bowbaker 23-Feb-16
Hunting5555 23-Feb-16
Hunting5555 25-Feb-16
11-Feb-16
I pulled the trigger and ordered a PSE Phenom. Chose the Phenom due to longer axle to axle length, it is a target type bow but, I intend to use it for hunting. I know very little about compounds last had one in 1980, my how things have changed. I would like suggestions for a rest and sight that would work well for hunting without breaking the bank.

11-Feb-16
I usually recommend ripcord rests, which you can get for about 100 new. For a less expensive dropaway, the nap apache is hard to beat at about $60. I think that sword sights are the best value out there, but i wouldn't consider them cheap.

11-Feb-16
I'm partial to whisker biscuit rests and hha slider sights.

11-Feb-16
Montana Black Gold for the site. They are tough, dependable, and have great service if you ever need it. Wide range of options depending on your uses.

I love QAD drop-away rests, have had them on my last 2 bows. Currently use the QAD HDX on my Xpedition.

12-Feb-16
I personally have always used a whisker biscuit. I am a hunter that will usually spot and stalk. NO tree stands or blinds. The drop away rests will allow for the arrow to rattle around if you have one nocked and are not at full draw. You also don't have any moving parts on this rest so that's one less thing to worry about. The draw back to the whisker biscuit is that you will lose 2-5 fps on your arrow speed. But i can deal wit that. As far as sights go I really like my IQ sight. The retina lock has improved my accuracy and distance. Nothing else like it for the price.

13-Feb-16
Thanks for the suggestions. MauiHunts glad you brought up the retina lock sight I had intended to ask about that one. Do you still use a peep sight with it?

13-Feb-16
Hamskea hybrid hunter rest. Best rests out there. I am partial to spot Hogg sights!

14-Feb-16
The pse model qad rest and a spot hogg real deal 5 pin

14-Feb-16
Spot Hogg Hogg father and and Hogg it sights, ripcord rest, I don't mind a biscuit either.

14-Feb-16
Whisker Biscuit and HHA for hunting. Have something go wrong with a drop away in the field sometimes and than try to fix it or get it back in timing. Totally destroy a biscuit, pull anew one out of your pack and put it on your bow, eye it up and be darn close right away. Shawn

14-Feb-16
deerman406 is right on the money with both of them. My set up and works great.

14-Feb-16
QAD ultra rest has been about 10 years trouble free really like my MGB sight.

15-Feb-16
Last year I used a Hamskea Versa rest and didn't like it. Arrow would not center 100% of the time during snowstorms and windy conditions.

Felt wore out too soon and everything I tried was not totally silent.

Rest is heavy, 11 oz or so.

Sold the rests and went back to the QAD specifically built for Bowtech and Mathews bows.

Been using Montana Black Gold sights for the past 10+ years. Bought my first one on eBay, cheap and used. Since then, I've purchased four new ones.

The company supports my old used one as well as my new ones; free with no questions asked.

15-Feb-16
Montana Black Gold sight. For a rest either a Whisker B or QAD depending on what you are looking for.

16-Feb-16
For rests, Trophy Taker is even more simple, durable, and reliable than the others out there in my experience, while being comparably priced. Im using a Smackdown pro at the moment, but they are all bullet proof. No locking/release mechanisms like a QAD, great rest and have used but has higher rate of failure, which makes TT better for what i use it for.

For sights, look into the AXCEL armortechs. With the new models coming out, the prices are dropping. They have the best micro adjust windage, height, and each pin.... cant get the same quality of micro adjust form a black gold sight or any other company out there right now in my experience. And that's both pennies that i have to offer.

Paul

16-Feb-16
I just purchased an Axcel Armortech HS HD last week on sale. I saw Spike Bull recommend it on another thread so I took a look. WOW, what a sight!!

I bought a 7 pin with .010 pins. Crap, those .010 pins are small, but bright! I'm used to .029 pins on my old sight. Before hunting season, I will purchase the light for it to light them up in low light.

If you are fanatical about your shooting and precision, I would highly recommend the Axcel Armortechs. I paid $232 for what is normally a $280 sight. (Cough, cough) But I seriously doubt I will ever purchase another sight! (That's what I keep telling myself at least!!! LOL)

If you just want a decent sight to throw on and use, probably need to look somewhere else. You won't just throw an Armortech on your bow and be sighted in in 10 minutes. The Armortech's have the 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments that need to be set.

17-Feb-16
MONTANA BLACK GOLD SIGHT AND QAD BEST THERE IS

23-Feb-16
Hey Spike, thanks for recommending the Armortech sight.

I got the 7 pin, HS, with .010 pins. I installed it, set it up, and played with it on Saturday in the warm weather. With my bow and 550gn arrows, I didn't need the HS version, but I figured buy it now and never have to wish I had!!

I LOVE IT!!! No more loosing the screw and hoping it doesn't slip or move too much!!

Only issue is, I shoot with the quiver on the bow. With the pro model, it puts the quiver too far away from the bow. Gonna have to figure out a solution for that. The non-pro model wouldn't have this issue, but like you said, I would loose some setup adjustment.

23-Feb-16
Hunting, what kind of quiver are you using? I strongly recommend using a Tight Spot if you are not already. They are spendy but they are also worth every cent IMO.

23-Feb-16
I would recommend Hamskea Hybrid Hunter rest and HHA for your sight.

23-Feb-16
Thanks for all of the replies, never dreamed there would be this many.

23-Feb-16
Brotsky, currently using an Alpine quiver. The quiver is fairly tall on its own, but by the time you mount it on the sight bracket, it sits too far away from the bow.

This year I am upgrading my equipment and then I plan on purchasing a new bow next Spring. A Tight Spot is on my list to buy along with a B-Stinger stabilizer and an Ace RipCord rest. Can't afford to do all the equipment and bow all in the same year!!!

25-Feb-16
Spike, great idea on the set screw. The knob was causing a location issue front to back.

Thinking about how the TightSpot fastens to the bow.... It might be possible to mount it to the back of the quiver mount bracket to keep it close to the bow..... But it might hit the sight bar......

• Sitka Gear