Bake 16-Feb-16
Mr.C 16-Feb-16
Fuzzy 16-Feb-16
willliamtell 16-Feb-16
TD 17-Feb-16
elkstabber 18-Feb-16
12yards 18-Feb-16
11-Feb-16
What is either the most fun or useful equipment I could buy for deer hunting for about 500 dollars or less?

11-Feb-16
If you don't have any, trail cameras! Can be bought for far less than $500 and are useful and fun as hec!

11-Feb-16
A bow. :-)

11-Feb-16
rangefinder

11-Feb-16
That's easy. Tags! Don't go buy something you don't need. If you have what you NEED to go hunting buy tags!

11-Feb-16
I would personally pick up a portable stand system of my choosing, assuming you don't have that. This could be a nice climber or good lightweight hang-on with step system. Depending on the cost of that, you might be able to pick a good pole saw too. Definitely the most useful in my opinion, but if you simply hunt the same 40 acres over and over with the same stands, it may not be for you.

11-Feb-16
A years membership to Bowsite And you'll still have money left over:)

11-Feb-16
Take a bunch of kids hunting, you'll never have more fun and it will pay a return forever.

11-Feb-16
Before I answer I need to know how close you are to Las Vegas?

In all seriousness, put that $500 in the bank and turn it into $1000 or more over time. If you need to ask us how to spend it then you really don't need to spend it that bad! Ha!

11-Feb-16
I don't know what planet your bank is on Brotsky? Our Municipal Accounts have over $10M in the money market accounts and I think we made under $4000 last year-

Banks are a joke.

$500 won't cover a decent shoulder mount.

11-Feb-16
MM...I certainly wasn't implying interest and returns would get him to $1000, that's a fairy tale. My point was If he puts $500 away today and $500 away again a couple months down the road..voila..he has a $1k, then $1500, etc until he can afford a hunt somewhere.

11-Feb-16
Electronic predator call--you can get a decent one for a couple hundred bucks. Popping coyotes is one of the funnest things you can do with your clothes on. . .

Trail cams are a lot of fun--pick your brand and you can get at least 3, maybe even 4 (with spring sales) for $500

Depending on your style of hunting, a Lone Wolf climber or Lone Wolf hang-on with some sticks are handy things to have around during deer season.

Try to find a used traditional bow--also a lot of fun. Frustrating as hell, but a lot of fun to play with.

I like knives, pretty ones with good wood--look at Bark River knives. I love mine

Other than these things, I get a lot of use out of merino wool clothing, and my binoculars.

11-Feb-16
Very true.

A few years back I decided to put $150 a paycheck into an account (2 checks a month), heck after a few years of saving, a guy could do a lot of things.

Don't have a car payment and put that in...

11-Feb-16
If you can't get a good shoulder mount for $500, I feel sorry for you. Maybe I am just lucky to live where I do and have the taxidermist we do. $400 gets a killer shoulder mount around here. I admittedly don't know the cost of mounts in other places.

I agree with buying trail cams. Best bang for your hunting buck. I love the excitement of checking cameras. I get the same feeling checking cameras that I do climbing up in the stand. You never know what you might see!

11-Feb-16
Bake - if you think tradbows are "frustrating as hell", you're doin' it wrong!

JMO, the most fun you could have for about that kind of money would be a couple of Maddog bows in kid-and beginner-friendly draw weights, then get a coupla kids involved in archery. Or a whole raft of 'em.

Best possible way to get more fun for your dollar is to share it as widely as possible!

11-Feb-16
+1 on predator calls. I've been looking at electronic predator calls for off season yote hunting. But you can get entry ones for like 70 bucks. The really nice fox pros are 200+.

If you don't have it already a nice kit for backpacking as well! I need to get me a tent and stove.

11-Feb-16
You could use it to go on one heck of a hunting trip ......"how" you ask on just $500.00

Take the wife out for a super ... "out on the town night"

Find something nice to put a bunch of roses in - not a cool whip container either - have them in the middle of the dining room table - with a couple candles going of course.

Take her to dinner - not Mcdonald's of course - I'm talking with all the bells and whistles, even dress up.

Then a movie of your choice - should be a real tear jerker with lots of romantic shit in it.

When you get home, run a bubble bath, even sneak a few rose petals in the tub - that would really blow her mind.

Take a big bath towel and heat it up in the dryer for her for when she gets out.

After her bath give her the best rub down ever .. begin at the toes and all the way up to even massaging her scalp - be nice, no handy panky yet (unless she initiates it of course).

Then, if it's not to late in the evening cuddle on the couch, watching some real romantic lovey dovey shit on the TV (if that's what she likes to do).

Then wait a few days to ask her if she thinks it would be doable for you to go on an elk hunt with your buddies for a few days .... how could she possibly say no?

11-Feb-16
Most hunting gear is bs....buy a tag and gas for the truck to some place new.

12-Feb-16
Is deer all you hunt? im thinking $500 is a good start on a trip for moose,goat,sheep,elk something you dont get to hunt all the time....spend wisely

MikeC

12-Feb-16
Ding-Ding! We have a winner! Inshart, that is genius and devious both! I like it.

But I've been married too long and wife would see this coming before I even thought of it. Instead, I love to explore new places and would agree with Lost Man. Get in the truck and drive someplace new or hunt something you never have before. You never know what is over that next hill!

12-Feb-16
There is a lot to be said for not spending it solely on yourself.

I got lucky several years ago and won $1,000 for a single big fish. My friends were all talking about what to spend it on. I gave 100% of it to my wife and told her to do the ONE thing with it that would make her happiest. A few weeks later we had club memberships and season tickets to our college football team. That started a run of season tickets and club memberships that we both enjoyed over the years. And you know...today I can hunt as much as I want and pretty much buy what I want. If I'd spent it on an item I probably wouldn't even remember what it was by now.

12-Feb-16
So three guys share deer camp every year. One of the guys grouses that this year he can't go because his wife said "no".

Opening eve, the remaining 2 show up at camp to find the 3rd already there. "Thought you said you couldn't come this year!?"

"Well" answers the 3rd "I got home from work to find my wife in a slinky outfit. She leads me to the bedroom, hands me some silk ropes and says 'Tie me up and do whatever you want' so here I am!".

Don't be that guy!!! LOL

Seriously, use the $500 wisely. If there is a piece of gear that you need to hunt more effectively, then get it. If it's gas for the truck to scout, fine. If it's saving it for a rainy day, all the better. And if it's something for your wife, you can't go wrong. We get caught up in buying things that are touted to make us more successful hunters, but in most cases we'd be better off spending more time at the range or practicing shooting with our hunting gear on in real-world situations.

It's easy to rattle off a bunch of things to buy, but we have no idea what you have or lack. For me, gamechanging hunting gear that performs includes:

Sitka Gear Ascent Pants & 90% Jacket; Havalon Piranta knife; Jetboil Stove; Slick Trick Vipertrick broadheads; IQ Retinal Lock bow site; carbon trekking poles; MeatEater recipe books; Field Optics Research Rapid-Release Binocular Adapter; Klymit Inertia X-Frame sleeping pad; OnXMaps state chip; Vortex Razor HD 10x42; Sitka Youth line - make a kid comfortable in the outdoors.

Best of luck!

12-Feb-16
An elk tag, anything else is a waste, unless it's for the elk hunt. :)

12-Feb-16
Some quality calls and a decoy or two, super fun to watch deer react to them.

12-Feb-16
Brotsky, I started out years ago putting $500 a month in my "fishing account". That account has bought me over 30 years of fishing trips to Canada and Florida, a deer hunting farm, numerous bows, a partnership in a goose hunting farm, a couple of vehicles, etc., etc. As I earned more money, I put more in. But the 500 built up real fast. Even if you can't afford 500, 200 would build up fast. Sound advise.

12-Feb-16
+2 on predator calls. I bit the bullet and got a FoxPro shockwave last week. I used it for the first time last weekend and called in two coyotes and was able to dust one of them. FUN FUN FUN!

12-Feb-16
Update my rifle scope for coyotes maybe a different ammo for possibly long range accuracy!

12-Feb-16
I would say something you need, not want. I like the idea of a set of LW sticks and a chippewa stand. Makes for a great run and bow set up. Trail Cams are good too. I would use it to by a tag and put in for a draw in Kansas to hunt Whitetail as well. Lots of stuff! Shawn

12-Feb-16
I'd put it toward my Whippenstick longbow :^).

12-Feb-16
When you have got "money burning in your pocket" you don't need to purchase anything. You need to save it so that when you have a "real need" you will have the money to cover or help cover your expenses.

Just my $.02 on how to wisely utilize $500 "hot money" !!

12-Feb-16
Tannerite!

13-Feb-16
Inshart: That's the sappiest post I've read on here in a while and I will go shower to get the sap off! -Let me guess, you also buy the Vermont Teddy Bear for V-day!? Check the manhood at the door!

Go grab some top notch jacket or gear. King of the Mt and KUIU are two of my favorites. Good stuff will pay long term dividends!

13-Feb-16
Tools to service your own bow.

13-Feb-16
You obviously need an Ozonics !!

13-Feb-16
Duke, that's the funniest "man slap" I've read on here in a long time!

13-Feb-16
Heater Body Suit!!

You get to hunt all season in the cold/frigid temps and stay toasty warm.

13-Feb-16
A good trail cam like a Reconyx

13-Feb-16

TD's Link
Useful???

Never mind, was going a different direction again....

Thinking about it... in that price range you could get a really quality bow press like the Bow-a-constrictor.

14-Feb-16
X@ Sito (And man, does it ever pain me to write that!) :-)

I'll take the fun of watching a kid get buck or turkey fever for the first time over about anything I've killed, and then the look on their face when they pull it all together.

And it doesn't have to be a bunch of kids. Find one that likes the outdoors and dedicate your time to helping them.

Inshart...if you're as "romantic" as your post...you wife has to be smart enough to see right through it.

15-Feb-16
I would buy 3 Browning trail cameras. I think its a super fun hobby during all times of the deer to see how deer move through my hunting properties and other animals that I didn't even know were there.

15-Feb-16
Im with Duke on this one!if you have to go through that much BS the get your wife to let you go hunting or buy gear IMO you married the wrong women

MikeC

15-Feb-16
"if you have to go through that much BS the get your wife to let you go hunting or buy gear IMO you married the wrong women"

Yup. Shoulda quit after one.

JMO, anybody who thinks it's "un-manly" to pamper his wife a bit should spend the $500 on a good shrink to help him get over himself.

15-Feb-16
Oh I pamper my wife to the best of my abilities, but a blatant bribe like that would just make her mad. I'd be much better off talking about what I want to do openly with her than making her feel like she's being bought off. It simply wouldn't work in my house.

15-Feb-16
I'd buy a camera.Every deer you dont kill or sunset you never want to forget...take a picture.

16-Feb-16
PDX2

I wouldn't want to be married to a woman who wasn't smart enough to see through all of that.

We talk things out, and 95% of the time I get my way,....and so does she.

16-Feb-16
I love all the financial planning advice. . .

For all we know, the OP's kids are educated and out of the house, his retirement's fully funded, he has $10 mil in the bank, he's killed the NA29, Big Five, etc. etc. etc.

But he just got a $500 gift card from his loving and supporting wife, and he wants to get something fun . . .

:) :) :)

I love assumptions

16-Feb-16
I was not implying thats its unmanly GF! heck no gotta love that squish lol,,,,I just know if I tryed that stuff with my wife she would ask if I was feeling ok and want to take my temp,she dont care what I do(of course within reason) or where I go as long as the bills are paid

back to the show $500 bucks is a nice down payment on a out of state hunt

Mike

16-Feb-16
you can do a one day hog hunt in Fl or OK tip and butchering included (but not travel)

16-Feb-16
x2 on a hog hunt. Best value in hunting.

1 year gym membership and STICK TO IT.

Donate it to a good hunting-related non-profit.

17-Feb-16
"JMO, anybody who thinks it's "un-manly" to pamper his wife a bit should spend the $500 on a good shrink to help him get over himself."

How the heck do you think I get my hands on that magic plastic card??? My Chris Hemsworth (without the locks...) good looks?

Well, OK, get it after she's asleep, but with the right treatment she sleeps really sound.....

"Just a gigolo and everywhere I go...."

18-Feb-16
I paid $20 to watch midget wrestling once. It was the best $20 I ever spent.

Was this supposed to be hunting related?

18-Feb-16
I'm with Matt Ewing. I'd buy a bow press and a draw board. It would probably save me money in the long run. Plus it would force me to learn how to work on my bows more.

• Sitka Gear