Ermine 10-Mar-16
Ace 11-Mar-16
Ace 11-Mar-16
Bou'bound 11-Mar-16
Bou'bound 11-Mar-16
Wayne Helmick 11-Mar-16
Wayne Helmick 11-Mar-16
11-Feb-16
Has anyone here ever taken a cougar with a bow without the use of dogs? I nearly did several years ago, but missed as the cat chased a fawn past me. Many years ago I the opportunity to work with a man billed as the first modern bow hunter to take a cougar,with a bow but without the use of dogs. It was a fluke as he was hunting whitetails in south Texas and the cat was unknowingly pushed past him. His name is Jim Jordan, and I'm not sure but I think he might be a cousin of Bill Jordan, owner of real tree camo. Anyway, have any of you had the good fortune to take a cougar with a bow without dogs?

11-Feb-16
Hollywood did it in Nevada a few years ago:

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=354840

11-Feb-16
yes me and my hunting bud have both killed cougars while elk hunting, in both cases they were called in using a cow call. not on purpose, just got lucky and they came to the call. mine was about 10 feet away and my friends was around 20 feet. I have since called in several more while hunting but have not shot any more of them since i got hounds. i am more into the catch and release now.

11-Feb-16
Hollywood's story=Bad Ass!

Mark

11-Feb-16
Idaho, that's awesome, I can't hardly believe that happened to you AND your buddy. I envy you guys.

11-Feb-16
Idaho, that's awesome, I can't hardly believe that happened to you AND your buddy. I envy you guys. Mav,who says calling don't work?

11-Feb-16
I started a thread about this 2-3 years ago. There were a bunch of guys that have done it. Mostly with predator calls, some just getting lucky, some finding a fresh kill and sitting on it. There was a story about a guy from MT that tracked a lion down in the snow and killed one in back-to-back years.

I'm gonna try that in NV sometime after a fresh snow. Sounds like it'd be a rush not knowing if you're going to spot him over each rise and ridge.

11-Feb-16
Mav sounds like you know what you're doing! I personally have two friends that have killed cats with rifles with out dogs. One was killed not 10 mIles from our camp. She gave us some chops that were wonderful.

12-Feb-16
Guys do it here all the time with rifles in the Black Hills. I believe there's been a few guys that have done it with the bow. Typically it involves waiting for a fresh snow, cutting a track, and walking them down or predator calling. Fawn distress is a popular call. I've never tried it but have always wanted to. I always have a tag in my pocket just in case but have never had the opportunity.

12-Feb-16
cant say that mine or my buddies were any real talent, just in the right spot at the right time. im sure its cause we like to hear our cow calls, cant resist blowing on them, never know when that next bull is just around the corner

12-Feb-16
That would be some calling I'd want to have a partner on....

A guy I know in OR took one with his bow a couple years ago on an elk hunt. Had stands set up and the cat came through a couple minutes behind a cow and calf....

As they say... the elk you save may be your own...

12-Feb-16
Show us some pictures Maverick. I'm rather intrigued!

14-Feb-16
The man with no name hath no pictures of the desert southwest hinterlands lions.

15-Feb-16
Yes, pics Maverick?

15-Feb-16
I just spent several days in the Catalina Mountains back country trying to call one in. I apparently suck at it because I didn't have any luck. There are reportedly lots of them in there because they are killing the Big Horn Rams transplanted there a few years ago.

Maveric,

What part of the state are you in and how much is that kind of hunt?

15-Feb-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Just like I called in this bear with a QuakerBoy Fawn in Distress call, I called in a mt lion in January here in Colorado a few years back.

At 25 yards he saw me draw my bow and vanished, never to be seen again.

A big thrill for sure as was the bear hunt.

Think about this when calling. YOU ARE IT'S NEXT MEAL! so eyes in the back of your head are mandatory.

My Best, Paul

15-Feb-16
It took me 27 days to kill a dry ground lion using hounds. I don't see how anyone could claim to do it regularly without them. I think Jack Frost has been trying for decades.

15-Feb-16
Paul, The eyes in the back of your head is a huge understatement. Especially if you are using a mouth call and bringing them right to your lap. You Sir are a bad man. The benefit of the new electronic callers is they get the attention out away from you and I still spin my head around so much that it's counter productive so I've quit doing it alone. To add to Brotsky's post, I live in the Black Hills and try it every year and have come close but no luck yet. I will get it done one day. There is a guy that lives 2 miles down the road from me that has killed one with a rifle, pistol, and bow without dogs. But he is an absolute machine and gets on a track and runs them down. It is possible.

15-Feb-16
Not cougar related: In 2012 we predator called a grizzly down an avalanche run/ snow-slide a few hundred yards and he winded us as he was crossing the creek over to our side, spooking out of there. That was one of the most exciting moments in my bowhunting life, even if it didn't result in a shot! Calling is great fun. Every time I turn on the Fox Pro in the winter or mouth call during bear or elk season, the anticipation if high, no matter what the sound I'm imitating!

15-Feb-16
Wayne, we can not use electronic calls in Colorado to hunt big game and that includes Mt Lions.

Paul

08-Mar-16
I know two guy's here in Colorado that did it and a guy in Wyoming that has done it 2 or 3 times. Also others that have called them in with Elk calls while hunting Elk but did not shoot them.

08-Mar-16
Its really a crappy deal in CO that bowhunters can't hunt lions within the quota during the September season. I know a number of bowhunters who have called or otherwise had them in range.

In my case, I accidentally snuck up on one in the timber that was stalking the same elk. He was really mad, and at 10 feet away it was a spooky situation.

Like Paul, I have called in and killed a bear on the ground. I was working an elk and happened to turn around to reposition, and saw him galloping through the sagebrush on a beeline to me.

08-Mar-16
Lou, I tried for years to get the CBA to push for opening Lion season when Archery opened only without the use of Dogs but no one would ever even bring it up as an issue. Should have just tried it on my own but was wanting to go thru the organization and have their backing.

08-Mar-16
Sorry Paul, I missed this after you replied. It sucks you cant use electronic calls. Not only are you calling predators to your lap but it takes a lot of wind to do it. You guys have some very unfriendly laws in Co. But hopefully your opportunities and scenery make up for it. Jaquomo, that must have been an interesting experience to say the least. I've been within 10 ft of a couple mt lions but I was standing in my bedroom looking out the window at two of them sneaking by trying to snag one of the deer my wife just went out and fed, in the dark. They are very impressive animals. And how they move is downright spooky.

10-Mar-16
Its really a crappy deal in CO that bowhunters can't hunt lions within the quota during the September season. I know a number of bowhunters who have called or otherwise had them in range.

In my case, I accidentally snuck up on one in the timber that was stalking the same elk. He was really mad, and at 10 feet away it was a spooky situation.

Like Paul, I have called in and killed a bear on the ground. I was working an elk and happened to turn around to reposition, and saw him galloping through the sagebrush on a beeline to me.

10-Mar-16
Guys, I need a good high res photo of a cat on the ground with no snow to illustrate my article about the aforementioned encounter. Preferably crouching and looking unhappy. It will be in a major bowhunting magazine later this summer and I'll do my best to get photo credit for you in the story.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

10-Mar-16

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Sit on something like this and you will get the cat

11-Mar-16

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
Found this story and pic: Arizona cat, called in, and shot it at about 15 yards.

11-Mar-16

Ace's Link
Here is another Story (and Video) of a Utah cat caught in a trap, and 2 guys trying to release it.

11-Mar-16

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Now that is a beauty of a cat up above regardless of how it was taken. WOW!

you could always sit near something like this and see what happens to return

11-Mar-16

11-Mar-16

Wayne Helmick's embedded Photo
Wayne Helmick's embedded Photo
This is all I got Lou. It was too dark when the two were sneaking by the house. This is 100 yards up the hill from my house. You might be able to photoshop and alter it. Feel free to do whatever you want with it.

11-Mar-16
Oh, by the way, That cat above was on steroids!!! Jesus what a beast.

• Sitka Gear