Labby 15-Feb-16
Jaquomo 15-Feb-16
master guide 15-Feb-16
78cj5 16-Feb-16
Labby 28-Apr-16
LINK 28-Apr-16
nmarchr 01-May-16
11-Feb-16
My son and I will be hunting unit 13 elk 2nd season this fall. Is it worth bringing horses and mules to get away from crowd. Are there areas where horses are worth it. Any recent experience from last season. I know these tags are getting harder get. I also have 4 tags I need to get rid of for the muzzleloader season. Pm me if interested. Unit wide

Thanks.

12-Feb-16
I've only hunted southern side one time . Good elk population. The area was cut up pretty good with roads and trails. Some are rough but all seemed doable. IMO not worth the effort. I think you can hit most areas with a good hike. Fun Hunt

12-Feb-16
What luckydraw said. Hunted 13 a few years ago. Didn't really seem like an areas were more than a mile or two from a road. Don't think horses or mules will do much for you in 13.

12-Feb-16
Labby, I agree with the prior comments. I would be interested in 3 archery tags if you come across them. Pending no luck in the draw of course.

12-Feb-16
Yeah I only wanted Archery as well but to make the deal work I bought all of the tags so I have some muzzleloader to liquidate. Depending on how the drawworks we may have some if we draw a tag

12-Feb-16
What do you want for the muzzy tag?

I may be in the market pending draw results.

12-Feb-16
PM sent

12-Feb-16
Labby, PM sent

12-Feb-16
I've hunted 13 twice and agree with what the others have said. I wouldn't mess with horses and mules myself. EDIT: I HUNTED UNIT 15, NOT UNIT 13. Sorry for the confusion.

12-Feb-16
Pm sent

14-Feb-16
PM sent. You do not need horses. Tons of roads

14-Feb-16
My plan with the horses was to use them to checkerboard back to the backside of the Indian Res or access some public above private ranches. I just want to get away from crowds. We have done this in wyoming with good success. I am ordering a bunch of maps now to make a plan. Gotta be some roadless areas where we can get away. This unit is huge.

14-Feb-16
How much on the tags?

14-Feb-16
Hunter1 Pm sent

14-Feb-16
PM sent

15-Feb-16

78cj5's Link
All right Labby! I was waiting for a test case to see if corner hopping was legal or not. Read page 2 from 2014 and let's put it to the test!

15-Feb-16
Defiantly grey area. I always thought it was perfectly legal. I really don't understand why it is not. We pay for those lands thru taxes and the use of them should be made to all. Just my 2 cents

15-Feb-16
Do a Bowsite search on corner crossing. There have been several lengthy threads with court cases cited. None from NM that I recall. We can't legally cross corners without violating the airspace of the adjoining property owner. The Leo Sheep case ruling by the USSC makes that case.

That said, there have been at least two cases that were thrown out of court in MT, though I don't know the facts. Could have been for other reasons besides ruling on the legality of the crossing itself.

Your best bet is to contact the local Sheriff of the county where you are hunting. They'll be the ones putting on the cuffs and allowing you to call your lawyer. Or not.

15-Feb-16
Labby, have hunted 13 many times. Have never found a unit were your mule was not a huge advantage. A hunter can walk but the pressured elk move miles each day. In 13 you have to role through the country. You wont be sorry for the extra work of hauling the livestock around. Send me a photo of your bull on the mule.

16-Feb-16
I have hunted 13 many times. If you find the elk you won't have to worry about corner hopping. I once called a bull in to camp after dark teaching my daughter how to cow call and bugle. He came in upwind of us just where you could barely make him out in the edge of the firelight. That was on public land about 100 yards off a main road. We also found a pile of steaming bear digestion about 100 yards from camp the next morning up a canyon. I need to get back out there with a varmint rifle and do some coyote control. Last time I was out there I found three different packs of about 10 in each pack.

28-Apr-16
I still have 2 Unit wide 13 Muzzy tags for sale

$4100 apiece

28-Apr-16
Nice congrats on drawing.

01-May-16
PM sent

• Sitka Gear