TD 12-Mar-16
Forest bows 12-Mar-16
Kawabunga 13-Mar-16
DWarcher 15-Mar-16
Forest bows 17-Mar-16
19-Feb-16
When is the best time to hunt axis in Hawaii

19-Feb-16
I prefer early morning. The time change makes that easy. Sorry couldn't resist.

19-Feb-16
I prefer early morning. The time change makes that easy. Sorry couldn't resist.

19-Feb-16
April ! Maui Hunting Safaris = the best!

19-Feb-16
Mid to late April the rut kicks in (for the most part), bucks are screaming, fighting, chasing does. Usually still going on into June. A good deal more spread out than folks see on the mainland.

Most bucks right now are in velvet, but you will see those that are hard horned as well as just having dropped and growing.

There will be does come into estrus here and there pretty much all year round. As well as bucks screaming occasionally. Saw a buck just rubbed out dogging a doe pretty hard last week. But the majority will be in those months, April, May, June. Late March early April is good to start a little rattling. Rattle and move downwind as they come sneaking in downwind to try and see what's going on and with who. If you don't move they pin exactly where the sound comes from every time. You'll see em.... but you'll likely never get a shot.

We kill deer all year round, but the bucks are more active, moving, and stupid during the rut.

19-Feb-16
Tuff hunt I bet!

20-Feb-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
On the ground, sometimes the planets have to align.... but they do sometimes.... as they say all it takes is one, one time.... it can all happen in seconds...

This one I rattled in a couple years ago. Heard him screaming and raking close by, rattled and moved toward him and downwind. He came in ducking under some thicker trees looking hard at where I was.

Think of a cross between an elk and a coues deer....

20-Feb-16

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
I hunted in early August and had a great hunt on Maui. It was a tight window between two hurricanes that decided to make my honeymoon a little more interesting. There was one big 5 point still in velvet but all the other bucks were hard horned and still a little rutty. It was a great hunt and overall experience. Took a nice goat on the trip also.

20-Feb-16
Plane ticket bought.... Im doing it!

21-Feb-16
May-July for deer. They can be hunted out if velvet late April through early October. You can find deer with head gear all year but that's the bulk of the herd. The rut can be a ton if fun but I'd just hunt them when it fits your schedule. Doable anytime. They are very plentiful on Maui, Molakai, and Lanai. Easy rifle hunt but can be frustrating/very rewarding with a bow.

22-Feb-16
Think of a gorgeous deer with elk-behavior tendencies, antelope vision, and whitetail reactions. I've hunted them 3 times (about 20 total days) and no shots taken. Part of that is my longbow and need to be close. I've had them at 5 yards on the ground but you can't even swallow when they're that close. I may never kill one, and for some reason this animal has become my nemesis. I hope to find another opportunity some day.

22-Feb-16
There is something about them that makes me way more interested in hunting them than other animals. It might not be the best time of the year but I'm going to head over in 2 weeks and give it a shot

22-Feb-16
Forest... wait until you hear one bark at you. Sometimes bark and bark and bark.... relentless. Going to blow your mind.... had a spike one time that couldn't have been but a couple or three yards away bark into my left ear that made my ears ring. Didn't help that I was at full draw on his daddy..... in that case it was me that was rattled....

And you WILL here one bark. Guaranteed.

22-Feb-16
Lol! Like a warning bark?

22-Feb-16
Sometimes they bark and bust out, but sometimes they'll bark for a long time and if you sit still they'll relax again.

22-Feb-16
Yep. A "you're screwed" bark. Kind of an air raid siren.... =D

The bucks will "scream" or "roar" similar to how an elk will. Different sound but same idea. Hard to describe. Usually will do 3 in a row for some reason, but sometimes more, sometimes less.

They all bark. You'll know it when you hear it.... my favorite is in the dark when you're walking in....

Although sometimes a soft bark or chirps is just herd talk, locating each other, or other herds. Real vocal and social animals. You hear does and fawns softly talking to each other all the time when you get in close.

22-Feb-16
Roughly what does it cost to hunt an axis deer there?

23-Feb-16
Depends on what the wife picks to do the rest of the time!!

23-Feb-16
Can u call them? I have called lots of elk and a few red stag.

23-Feb-16
The sounds they make are hard to mimic. This time of year I'd stick to spot and stalk or ambush style hunting. I've rattled them in but that is not likely to work in February.

23-Feb-16
Im thinking water. I have heard it's dry this year.

23-Feb-16
There is no water on Lanai. The deer get their moisture from the plants. Volcanic islands are porous so there is no standing water. I've seen puddles in stream beds after a rain but I wouldn't sit on it. Spot a glass is the way to go or else a treestand on a trail in the forest.

23-Feb-16
Forest, what island are you hunting?

24-Feb-16
This is really interesting stuff. Im intrigued by this critter and even more so with the hunt in Hawaii.

Forest, I wish you good luck and hope you report back on your hunt here on bowsite. And you are correct sir, it does depend on what your wife does on a trip like that to the total cost! LOL

Have a great hunt.

24-Feb-16
You going DIY public? Is that possible?

24-Feb-16
I hunted on Maui and we ambushed the Axis deer on their way from eating the salt water sprayed plants near the ocean to their bedding areas on the base of Haleakala.

An awesome hunt for anyone that wants to experience it. I hunted private ground that was loaded with Axis, goats, and hogs.

PM me if you have any questions.

24-Feb-16
Maui is were I'll be. I think I have some private to hunt. There is public and alot of DIY opportunity. I'll most likely do a live hunt.

24-Feb-16
Forest... have you ever been to Maui?? It is by far my favorite island. I can offer some advise if you want.

Chris

24-Feb-16
The Big Island is another great option although I've yet to find a huntable quantity of Axis Deer in the areas that I hunt. Although the sheep and goats have taken a hit due to the aerial killing by the DNLR in the Mauna Kea area there are still plenty of sheep, goats and pigs to keep things interesting. I'll be over chasing 'em around here in the next couple of weeks...can't wait!

24-Feb-16
I have never been this will be my first time.

24-Feb-16
A lot of public opportunity for DIY Axis on Maui? I either read that wron or you might want to check your research. I wish you the best but also don't want you to have unrealistic expectations.

24-Feb-16
Man, I remember hunting on the big island back in the early 90's, I don't think you could find a better bow-hunting location.

I remember telling a friend, it was easy going through a dozen arrows in a day up there. It was some of the best hunting I ever experienced.

I did quite well on Oahu as well and wonder how my old spots are doing. Some day (sooner than later) I will get back.

24-Feb-16
I remember getting into a herd of 100+ pigs on Oahu, and that happened once and I didn't take advantage of that situation.

For you guys on Oahu, do they still have the range down by the Zoo?

25-Feb-16
There is public hunting land on Maui but you won't find much, if any, with Axis deer. Most are on private land. There is some public land with pigs and goats though. I have some advice for you but please send me a pm.

25-Feb-16
Axis on public Maui can be nearly impossible for a non-local. Private isnt going to be cheap but you will have a great hunt.

If I can give you any advice on Maui....

EAT LUNCH AT THE PAIA FISH MARKET!!!

Thank me later

25-Feb-16

Archer96161's embedded Photo
Got this small buck two weeks ago. Love to Bow hunt Axis. I have had mixed results calling to them with a single reed elk call. I have had luck stopping them and calming them down if you bump them.

25-Feb-16

just another picture of the same buck

26-Feb-16
Archer96161, nice buck, where did you hunt him? It doesn't look like the islands.

26-Feb-16

glass eye's embedded Photo
GotBowAz...............Hawaii is more than bamboo forest and waterfalls.

26-Feb-16

Sometimes it looks like AZ desert with an ocean in the background.

26-Feb-16
I really want to hunt hawaii now

26-Feb-16
I'm so ready!^^^

26-Feb-16
Hawaii has lots of micro climates. I remember when I first went years ago, I thought I was going to be hunting in a rain forest. When I got off the plane I thought I was in Northern Nevada. I got that buck on Lanai. I prefer hunting the drier parts of the island, as it is much more conducive to spot and stalk. Glassed this buck and a few other deer feeding at first light. Made a move to get the wind right and slipped into where they were headed to bed. He walked right into me at 30 yards. Probably the most challenging critter I have ever hunted. You will love and hate how they bark at you. You will know when you get busted. Forest, you will have a great time. Good hunting in a beautiful place, what more can you ask for.

26-Feb-16
I agree totally. Oahu was like hunting a jungle off the Likiliki HWY, then up by Kaena point it was very dry, much different. The you start climbing up those peaks and you're back in rain forest.

The big island was like hunting on the moon. Sitting on top of those PU'Us glassing for miles seeing goats, shep, pigs, turkeys, it was paradise.

26-Feb-16
Thanks Glass eye and Archer, thats pretty cool. the more you guy's talk about this the more interested im getting. Im looking forward to hearing your about your hunt when you get back Forrest...in the meantime, I got to convince my wife it would be fun while im out hunting she can be touring, beaching it,or shopping. hhmmm.

26-Feb-16
Wow Glass eye! What an amazing mouflon sheep! There are some real big ones in Hawaii.

Gabe

26-Feb-16
Awesome Ram and nice bucks guys! What an adventure. Put some thought in about this in the past and surely would love to do it someday.

Good Luck!

26-Feb-16

weekender21's embedded Photo
Yep, hard to believe how diverse the climates are in Hawaii. Dense jungle to dry lava.

26-Feb-16

jungle hog

26-Feb-16

beach recovery

26-Feb-16

Deer country

26-Feb-16

Rocky sheep canyon

26-Feb-16

Axis deer country, they live in all kinds of terrain!

26-Feb-16
7 days and counting. Talked to Jeff at arrow one ranch today. It's sounds like a real nice place. Big with a good amount of deer.

26-Feb-16

Weekender's beach recovery from another angle. The angle the ram took to get airborne.

03-Mar-16
2 days!

03-Mar-16
Forest,

Check your PM's

03-Mar-16
Safe travels!! C

03-Mar-16
Greg your the second guy that told me that to day. The other guy was on a construction site in Aspen

04-Mar-16
Have a great trip.

04-Mar-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Forest, If you haven't left yet.... IMO these deer you want to keep your shots forward. Vitals are a bit more tucked in than NA game.

This buck.... well, lets just say the chest cavity was not compromised.... First pic with front shoulder in place.

04-Mar-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Second pic shoulder removed, backstrap removed, top knife is over the spine, bottom knife below sternum.

04-Mar-16
Third pic, ribs removed at the spine and folded down at sternum. Diaphragm laid back exposing chest cavity. Easy to see lungs and the bluish triangle near the bottom of them is the heart.

04-Mar-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
OK, coffee hasn't kicked in yet.... 3rd pic

04-Mar-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
4th pic, diaphragm removed showing liver, etc. Top knife is at the BOTTOM of the spine, lower knife is stuck into the heart, can see the handle.

Easy to see, you get much behind the shoulder on these things you're out of the chest cavity. Liver shots kill em.... but it could be a looong day.... I hear guys used to NA game say "I hit him perfect! Right behind the shoulder!" oh.

sigh..... ok, lets go see if we can find any blood.....

05-Mar-16
Nice! Tell the truth I wasn't thinking about shot placement much. Time to get my mind right. We fly in the morning.

05-Mar-16
At the air port in grandjuction CO. Going to board soon. Got to tell the TSA lady all about bow hunting!! ;)

05-Mar-16
Good luck

05-Mar-16
Good luck Forest Hawaii is beautiful! I brought my golf clubs the first time but will surely bring my bow next time! Safe travels and look forward to your updates!

07-Mar-16
Saw 10 or so axis today 4 bucks one real nice one. 53 yards was as close as I got. Love all the sounds they make.

07-Mar-16
As they say on the islands, go Catch one. Good luck Forest.

07-Mar-16

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Had 2 young bucks spotted but I can't find them now.

07-Mar-16
Forest, I live on Maui and hunt quite often. When are you planning to come here? Public land hunts are not good for axis. Public lands here home mostly feral pigs and feral goats. Axis overrun the private lands and are considered by man to be a nuisance, thus we have no season on them. We can hunt them 365 days a year if you have access these areas. There are a few places that have paid hunts but they will cost quite a bit for an Axis. Do you have friends here that have access to private land? That would be the only way to get on some deer, unless you are willing to pay. If you need some help contact me and i can set you up with a buddy or maybe even take you out there myself.

07-Mar-16
Forest, I live on Maui and hunt quite often. When are you planning to come here? Public land hunts are not good for axis. Public lands here home mostly feral pigs and feral goats. Axis overrun the private lands and are considered by man to be a nuisance, thus we have no season on them. We can hunt them 365 days a year if you have access these areas. There are a few places that have paid hunts but they will cost quite a bit for an Axis. Do you have friends here that have access to private land? That would be the only way to get on some deer, unless you are willing to pay. If you need some help contact me and i can set you up with a buddy or maybe even take you out there myself.

07-Mar-16
I'm here now. PM me

07-Mar-16
"Had 2 young bucks spotted"

psst.... Forest... they're ALL spotted..... heheheheheh....

Good luck, pray for wind, it's a game changer, haven't had any the last few days. I hunted a mile or two away from where you are yesterday evening.... tough hunt. No wind they pick up every little movement, busted trying to draw last night on some backstraps at 20 yards....

07-Mar-16
Could killed 4-5 but couldn't decide what stop to shoot..... Target panic.

07-Mar-16
Don't forget to be a tourist. Maui is way cool. Enjoy. C

07-Mar-16
Just shot a buck!!!

07-Mar-16
Saaaweeeeeet!!!

Please post pics!!!! Especially some of the views too please!!!

Good job hope you had a good recovery!

07-Mar-16

He went 35 yards. Not the biggest on the mountain but a great first buck plus a great reason to come back next year!!

07-Mar-16
Awesome Forest congrats!

07-Mar-16
That's a nice buck and good shot, looks straight up the leg?

Congrats! Great job!

07-Mar-16
Glad you caught one!

07-Mar-16
Congrats Forest.

Now, don't forget about Mama's Fish House !!!

08-Mar-16

We went to mamas right off the plane.

08-Mar-16

Shot was good.... He went 35 yards total. I felt funny among that far forward.

08-Mar-16
Aiming*

08-Mar-16
thats sweet nice job!!!!!!!!!!

08-Mar-16
Awesome!

08-Mar-16
How about that! Good for you! C

08-Mar-16
Great job!

08-Mar-16
Great buck!

08-Mar-16

Bohunner's embedded Photo
Bohunner's embedded Photo
They are beautiful. Shot this one on Maui a few years back. TD helped me with some things to get it done. Thanks again TD.

08-Mar-16
Congrats Forest! Who did you hunt with? Free range?

09-Mar-16

Just talked to a guy that I have wanted to meet for a wile....sounds like we might do a afternoon hunt tomorrow. Super opportunity for me. On the beach BBQ some tenderloin and mahi-mahi steak and pineapple. Pretty good living here in the islands

09-Mar-16
Headed up the mountain for a short evening hunt with TD! Perfect conditions for stalking. 70deg 20 mph wind.

09-Mar-16
This should be fun to follow!!

10-Mar-16
Sorry no up dates. Got in to them no shots. I'm going to sale off and move here!;)

11-Mar-16

11-Mar-16
I sure hope TD introduces you to "Coach"!!!

11-Mar-16
I'm in Denver now sad day! :(

11-Mar-16
"I'm in Denver now sad day! :( "

I know your pain. I've hunted from Alaska to New Zealand and points in between, and in all those adventures there comes the time when I'm ready to come home.....EXCEPT for Hawaii. Even when I spend 3 or 4 weeks hunting in Hawaii, I'm never ready to come home.

11-Mar-16
3-4 weeks would be perfect!

11-Mar-16

808bowhunter's embedded Photo
808bowhunter's embedded Photo
The hunting is on a steady decline here with the state working to kill most the game. They have opened year round seasons on all animals including blacktails. They even opened a spotlighting season on kauai from 6pm to 6am to drive around roads spotlighting with rifles. Its a joke. I have shot enough pigs and goats that it doesn't do it for me anymore. Or maybe hunting the Rockies had jaded me. But hunting is the only reason I would leave Hawaii. To live somewhere like Wy, Montana, or Alaska to hunt. Although I love catching Ahi too!

12-Mar-16
Forest, we were close, but no cigar. That's bowhunting I guess. Nice to have an arrow on the string though.

Apparently the main herd was still in the area, we just didn't get on those. The rancher called me up thur. morning and told me I needed new glasses, he went to check his cattle that morning and the big herd was down near the water, maybe 30 or so, couple good bucks. Oh well. Bowhunting....

Glad you had a good time on Maui. You have a great (and very understanding) family! Got a nice buck as well. Hope you folks made it to Hana the next day. Hopefully the road was open with all this wind!

Was my pleasure to meet you and your family. Wish we had a bit more time, maybe the planets would have aligned.... =D

Bonunner, I didn't do hardly anything but moral support. =D You put yourself out there, you made it happen and made a great shot. That's a stud of a buck, I still have a pic of it on my computer. Pat has some good areas. The one I rattled in the pic above was up in Piiholo.... not Pat's, different property, maybe a mile or less from where you got yours. Some good deer up there.

12-Mar-16
we will be back TD! Thanks again.

13-Mar-16
Some nice animals. Great story, great job, and some of the best eating you can get!

Cazador you must have hunted in the good ol days, the Big Island is declining a lot as far as hunting PTA military is not what it was as a lot of fences have been put up also affecting animal movement to surrounding areas. Just lost one of the best and bigger public areas for sheep unless something changes soon.

I guess it's starting to get to the rest of the state as 808 mentioned, but there is so much pressure from enviro-preservation groups now they are getting their way in a lot of areas.

I don't normally like to post this stuff and I know a lot don't like Facebook but if you guys enjoy it there and would like to learn more check out the group Hawaii Sportsman's Alliance. Lots of info on the fight and bills coming up that you can testify on online, takes a few minutes to sign up on the HI govt page. Maybe a few out of staters can help show how hunting can be a great resource for the state.

I actually moved to NV after living there for over 40 years, never thought I would but the only thing that made it tolerable was the hunting and places to explore up here. Really miss hunting and fishing year round but excited for new experiences.

Have dreams of hunting back home with my son when he gets old enough but scary to think there might not be much hunting left one day soon.

15-Mar-16

DWarcher's MOBILE embedded Photo
DWarcher's MOBILE embedded Photo

Hunted an area on Hawaii Island today that I hadn't hunted in a while and did not see a single sheep. Luckily I ran across a small group of pigs that were very cooperative. Things sure are changing over here and not for the better. Going to give it another shot in another area before it's time to go home.

17-Mar-16
how long have you been there

• Sitka Gear