standswittaknife 11-May-16
wyobullshooter 11-May-16
wytex 11-May-16
Redman 11-May-16
Bowboy 11-May-16
wytex 01-Jun-16
Deacon Dave 02-Jun-16
20-Feb-16
All, I have 14 points in Wy for moose. I applied unit 5 last year, but didn't draw. Hunting Fool evaluated it this year in their magazine so 5 will get more pressure. Thinking about 22. I have been told good public land low pressure. Planning DIY. Let me know thoughts, experience or other areas. Want to draw this year.

20-Feb-16
I sent you a PM

Joe

21-Feb-16
Although I've never hunted moose in Area 22, I did elk hunt in that area many years ago. Back in the good ole days, Area 22's moose population was fantastic and held some very nice bulls. You'd see them just driving the roads. Yes, there's lots of public land, although most the main creek bottoms are private. I figured Area 22 would be the area I would want to hunt when I finally decided to cash in my moose points, which I did back in '09.

While doing research before I applied, I contacted the warden and biologist for that area. They both told me things had drastically changed. Due to wolves and other issues, the moose population was in poor shape. Needless to say, I crossed Area 22 off my list.

Some current numbers suggest things haven't improved. In 2015, the NR PP quota was only 3, and the random draw quota was 0. The Res quota's were only 9 for the PP draw, and 3 for the random draw. There were no cow/calf quotas, which says quite a bit right there. Another telling number is what residents think of this area. Last year, max PP's was 20. Only one resident with more than 13 PP's even applied for that area, and he/she only had 14. Fact is, only 9 residents with 10 or more PP's applied for area 22. Once again, that's pretty telling.

Even with the gloomy picture, since you only have 14 PP's going into the draw, area 22 might be a viable option for you. Unless you luck into a random, your chance of drawing a good area is slim to none. Look at last year's draw results and add 1 PP to all the numbers. That will give you an idea of what areas you have at least a chance at drawing with 14 PP's. I highly recommend calling the G&F regional office in Pinedale and talk to a warden and biologist. It's the slow time of year, so they should be available. They'll give you up-to-date info on the moose situation in Area 22.

I certainly don't want to rain on your parade, but you need to have a realistic idea of what you're up against. However, like the saying goes, it only takes one. You may very well draw a tag and have the hunt of a lifetime. Best of Luck with whatever you decide.

21-Feb-16
Also, check into a boundary change. As I understood it everything below the HWY 191 was becoming part of unit to south. Reducing the acreage to hunt

21-Feb-16
Bill, looking at the 2016 moose area map, you are correct. Could also very likely result in the low quota numbers for the area going even lower.

21-Feb-16
Bill, thanks for the insight. I had not looked at the 16 map. Now the southern portion is part of 10. I do have calls into both the warden and biologist, but haven't been able to connect. Hopefully they can provide some info on now several units. I want to get out this year if all possible. On the flip side, is it more an issue of size since most of the units are all in the 80%+ harvest? I got trends from 2 years ago, but will see what the biologist has now. I guess 22, 10 and 5 (although I think it will have more focus) are options. Not sure of others, if anyone has thoughts.

21-Feb-16
Burned my Wyoming moose points on an Area 5 tag in 2013. Planned the hunt around recommended rut dates, late September into early October. The weather was absolutely terrible that year. I hunted DIY out of a tent and it seemed like I spent nearly as much time with a snow shovel in hand as my bow (not really, but there was alot of snow...almost daily).

I talked to several people that had the same tag in recent years....most of whom were successful with archery gear. Unfortunately, the weather prevented me from carrying out my initial plan as daily travel was limited. Basically, I hunted the Green River bottom and lower drainages feeding the river.

I saw moose every other day...literally. Passed a young bull...maybe 30" wide on day two. Had a close call on a 40"ish bull on day four, but no shot. Killed a 38" bull with good palms on day six. Stuck around because I had a deer tag in my pocket...and as luck would have it, bumped into a great bull that had to be pushing 50" wide on day eight. Got a break in the weather and pulled camp the next day.

Very satisfied with my experience in Area 5. I had hopes of getting an opportunity at a bull in the 40" range. Did not see as many moose as I expected, but I blame the weather limiting my movement for part of that. If I had the chance, I would not hesitate to put in for Area 5 again.

Best of luck to you in the moose draw!

21-Feb-16

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Here's my 38" Wyoming Area 5 bull. Died in the only thick willow patch in sight...of course. His right antler is bent at the pedestal and some of the upper points on that side were missing. He would have been 42"+ with a normal beam. No regrets, but that bruiser I saw on day eight will forever haunt my dreams...LOL!

21-Feb-16
Nice bull Pav. I would be very happy with that. I also have the time this year. 5 could work if it stays as is in prior years...I am a bit concerned that with the unit being evaluated in Hunting Fool that it will draw more attention from folks with higher point totals.

21-Feb-16
I spoke with the biologist about the unit 22 quota when I was researching a nearby elk unit. It was going to be less. That's when I learned of the boundary change. You and I are both in no man's land for points. I have 13. The area look beautiful, just not lots of moose. Population seems to have stabilized though.

21-Feb-16
Brad, when you click onto the big game forum...look to the top right..it says "welcome back Brad" and right below will say "you have new pms"...if you have any...if so, click on that message.

Joe

21-Feb-16
Just having the opportunity and tagging one is what dreams are made of!

26-Feb-16
I am in the same boat with 14 points, 1 more point is a world of difference. I have been looking at all units mentioned.

Anyone have input on unit 25 (Big Piney off forest)? Lots of private BUT no wilderness. Most other units I might draw in the next 3-5 years are 1/2 or more wilderness. Makes me nervous. I want to DIY.

Brad I hope you do not mind if I ask here I figure you have also looked at this unit to.

DonV OH

26-Feb-16
Don, 25 is the best unit in the state if hunt with the right outfitter with access to all of the private land, but it will take 16 to guarantee a tag this year. Mike

26-Feb-16
PM sent Brad---

Damn nice Bull pav!!

My Wyo Bull is on my T-Room Wall

Good luck, Robb

29-Apr-16
What are your thoughts on unit 38?

29-Apr-16
"What are your thoughts on unit 38?"

If I had my choice of moose areas, it would be a toss-up between the Bighorns and area 38. The moose population is extremely healthy, and growing. It holds some darn nice bulls, with fairly moderate terrain. No griz, and no established wolves, although there've been reports of a wanderer here and there through the years. Thank God, they're extremely rare.

The downside is, you better have max PP's to even have a chance at a tag. In last year's draw, the NR PP quota was 3. You needed max points to even have a chance. The NR random draw quota was 1, with 560 applicants.

11-May-16
38 is the best unit right now with more access than one person can hunt. Points are the drawback, but this year a resident with 1 pt less than max drew a tag.

11-May-16
Who is the best outfitter in 38? A friend of mine drew the random tag and is looking for an outfitter. He had 13 or 14 points.

11-May-16
Who is the best outfitter in 38? A friend of mine drew the random tag and is looking for an outfitter. He had 13 or 14 points.

11-May-16
I'd talk to folks here as in that unit you should not really need an outfitter with the quality of moose hunting. Probably, if not, the best Shiras tag in the nation..

11-May-16
I agree. No need for an outfitter since there's tons of public land with lots of roads. Terrain is mild to moderate and very little wilderness area.

11-May-16
No outfitter needed.You have national forest from east of Laramie to the Platte River on the west. There are big bulls all over. We saw more moose bow hunting last fall than elk. You can camp in the forest or rent a cabin near Centennial, WY. The next state record will come from this area!! This will be a hunt at altitude, 8,000 + ft. Lots of road access, fortunately and unfortunately. You can hunt archery and rifle seasons if needed. And we have the best taxidermist in the state, Bennett's Artworks.

11-May-16
Thanks for all the advise guys, I will pass it on. I killed my moose in 25 in 2014 with Bald Mountain and had a great hunt.

11-May-16
Yep, you definitely don't a outfitter. I'm sure you'll get a lot of brochures from various outfitters.

Please don't shoot a small there are some monster Bulls in this area.

Good luck and post your story and pictures!

01-Jun-16

wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
Unit 38 moose taken from the highway the day before opening of archery season.

02-Jun-16
Redman, You have a PM

• Sitka Gear