Bigpizzaman 26-Feb-16
Brotsky 26-Feb-16
Fuzzy 26-Feb-16
Ziek 26-Feb-16
Coyote 65 26-Feb-16
Heat 26-Feb-16
GF 26-Feb-16
26-Feb-16
Commission, U.S. Sens. McCain, Flake: Grand Canyon bison management plan should include state’s hunters

Feb. 25, 2016 News release Arizona Game and Fish PHOENIX — The National Park Service released a plan Tuesday that calls for managing overpopulated bison herds within the Grand Canyon National Park through capture/removal, the use of sharpshooters and localized fencing around sensitive park resources. Noticeably absent from the Park Service plan was the cost-effective solution that would utilize the state’s sportsmen and women as a bison management option, which is supported by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission, U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, and U.S. Rep. Paul Gosar.

"While we find the timing of the National Park Service’s change in position peculiar, we welcome any progress to reduce damage being caused by bison in the Grand Canyon,” said Arizona Game and Fish Commission Chairman Kurt Davis. “Their management proposal comes at the continued burden to taxpayers just as the National Park Service is already burdened with more than $11.9 billion in deferred maintenance. Any solution should embrace the most cost-effective and heritage-driven option of using citizen hunters to help manage the growing bison herd.”

The proposal comes as Congressional lawmakers consider a pair of bi- partisan bills that strive to protect the Grand Canyon’s critical habitat, cultural and archaeological sites from further bison damage by requiring the U.S. Department of Interior and the Arizona Game and Fish Commission to coordinate on a plan that allows sportsmen with valid state-issued hunting licenses to assist in managing the bison population.

“The National Park Service has been studying various bison management strategies for nearly two years; meanwhile, the bison population inside the Grand Canyon grows out of control,” said Sen. McCain, who co-sponsored the Bison Management Act in the Senate with Sen. Flake. “Any plan produced by the Park Service should offer bison hunting opportunities inside the park in coordination with state wildlife officials. With a herd of nearly 600 and thousands of square miles to cover, the cost of relying on contractor sharpshooters and fencing at the taxpayer’s expense is senseless compared to the option of allowing state-licensed hunters who will remove bison free-of-charge to the park.”

Because hunting is not allowed within park boundaries, it has since become a safe haven for the exploding bison population, which has led to overgrazing and damage to the Grand Canyon’s natural resources.

Rep. Gosar stated he was “outraged that the Park Service would offer a last minute, short-sighted, vague and costly proposal. Congress should not be distracted by the Park Service’s Hail Mary and should ensure the Grand Canyon Bison Management Act is signed into law. We can’t afford to allow more devastation to be caused to the park while the Park Service twiddles their thumbs trying to come up with an expensive plan. We have a plan and it puts Arizona hunters to work doing what they love, accomplishing this important task for free.”

26-Feb-16
At last, Senator McCain has uttered a statement that I can totally agree with.

These types of scenarios just prove, to me at least, that liberals are funsuckers. Most folks agree that there are too many bison/elk/whatever inside a National Park ( which we own ), but the libs would rather feed the wolves or hire government shooters to kill them. God forbid some might get enjoyment out of providing healthy wild meat for their families. Can't have that !

26-Feb-16
Same situation in Yellowstone.

26-Feb-16
These things always blow my mind. We pushed hard for an elk hunt hear in SD at Wind Cave National Park. We were denied and instead the park service spent 100's of thousands of dollars on plans that have had no net impact on the overpopulated elk numbers in Wind Cave. It's sad that those in the park service refuse to use an ethical, cost-effective, and completely viable method of population control that has been proven to work for centuries all the while spending our tax dollars like drunken sailors on leave.

26-Feb-16
damn

26-Feb-16
I have never understood National Park management. Their task is supposed to be the preservation of a NATURAL environment. They are always so quick to reintroduce predators of every kind EXCEPT one that absolutely also belongs - MAN. Our parks have devolved into little more than petting zoos, where we peer in like some type of perverted voyeur instead of taking our place as a natural and normal participant.

26-Feb-16
They close the park in winter, excellent time for a hunt.

Terry

Now wishing I had put in all these years to get points for the draw.

26-Feb-16
I have been watching this closely. I have a tag for those critters for this summer in the same area across the fence on the National Forest.

One thing I should point out as a person who prepares NEPA documents for a Federal agency, this is only the agency's scoping letter and request for comments. This is not their plan! Including this comment period there will be at least two opportunities for the public to weigh in before a decision is made. It's not final until you see it in their Finding of No Significant Impact or in a Record of Decision legally and even then the plan could change due to litigation.

I agree with the sentiment from Rep Gosar and the rest though. Bad move by the Park when you have bipartisan agreement about moving a public hunting element plan forward. Heck even Sinema who is as Green as they come is onboard with the proposed Law.

26-Feb-16
"It's not final until you see it in their Finding of No Significant Impact or in a Record of Decision legally and even then the plan could change due to litigation."

I'm going to guess that the suggestion of an in-park hunt will get shot down because of the precedent that it would set. You have to scratch your head a bit as to why it would be problematic to set a precedent of management based on solid science, practical thinking and sound fiscal management, but the Antis will be ALL OVER IT.

If we hunters can educate the Nons and expose the hypocrisy and deceit of the Antis, there is still hope.

• Sitka Gear