LINK 02-Mar-16
trkyslr 02-Mar-16
Ziek 02-Mar-16
Paul@thefort 02-Mar-16
Mr.C 03-Mar-16
WhoCares 03-Mar-16
deerman406 03-Mar-16
02-Mar-16
I was looking through a chicken flyer the other day and saw that you can buy turkeys that look similar to wild ones. Got me wondering, do people ever use live decoys? Maybe not legal some places? Seems like it could add some advantage. As long as they don't smell domesticated.

02-Mar-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I've got 3 Rios I raised that roost on top of the chicken house. I've thought about taking them hunting but while I can get close enough to kick them, I know if I grabbed one it would come unglued. They gobble at me any time I yell or do anything loud.

02-Mar-16
Kendall, I do not know what might be legal in Canada, but using live turkeys as decoys is illegal in the US.

"as long as they don't smell domesticated".. All birds, including turkeys, have a very very small sense of smell. But great sight and hearing.

Back in the waterfowl marketing days, some used live geese and ducks to decoy but that was made illegal for sure.

With some of the look-alike decoys today, even the hunters have a hard time distinguishing the real from the fake. And you do not have to feed them. :)

my best, Paul

02-Mar-16
LINK, that includes OKLAHOMA!

my best, Paul

02-Mar-16
It is illegal in every state? So much for that idea. I was joking about the smell.

02-Mar-16
Years ago, a buddy of mine raised a eastern wild clutch from poults and they grew and hung around all summer into fall and some survive through the following year... I have some neat video of them... It was many moons ago, but I believe there were 12 to begin and 3 or 4 survived into the following spring, but anyhow one survivor was a jake and he became very aggressive to the point he'd attach people and children couldn't be around him... Buddy had to shoot him...

02-Mar-16
Dang Paul, I was just about to get enough courage to grab ahold of one of them. :) Pet turkeys are a blast, the have 10X the personality of a chicken. The have a ritual every evening of chasing each other carousel style around an oak in my back yard for 5-10 minutes. When putting up Christmas lights the hen flew up on the house to watch. Not so neat when you leave a vehicle out and they decide to roost on it.

02-Mar-16
Dsd's next best thing... Don't know how many hens came into the hen deeks then it's on!

02-Mar-16
"All birds, including turkeys, have a very very small sense of smell."

Not ALL birds. Vultures have a very keen sense of smell, and there may be others.

02-Mar-16
Many game birds.....................

03-Mar-16
seen guys on video us there own dogs to bring in coyotes and thats a live decoy! and trained as well MikeC

03-Mar-16
Reminds me how my 86 yr old turkey hunting partner always says if turkeys could smell, too, we'd never get one !

03-Mar-16
Reminds me of my deer friend that lives down the road. I will hunt near her when Nov. rolls around. She hangs out by me everytime I go down there. Shawn

• Sitka Gear