LKH 03-Mar-16
leo17 03-Mar-16
NvaGvUp 03-Mar-16
willliamtell 03-Mar-16
NvaGvUp 03-Mar-16
LKH 03-Mar-16
NvaGvUp 03-Mar-16
02-Mar-16
The 9th Circuit has upheld a lower court ruling that supported closure of ~ 70% of the domestic grazing allotments in the Payette National Forest. That USFS action required closure of allotments to ensure separation of domestic sheep and wild sheep.

The Idaho Woolgrowers Assn. along with American Sheep Industry and other domestic sheep groups had appealed. But the 9th Circuit said the lower court had proceeded properly and their decision would stand.

02-Mar-16
Well, I've never entertained the idea of sheep hunting, but I know from reading ( mostly here ), that domestic sheep pose potential health problems for wild sheep, and I know that there are some guys that are passionate about sheep hunting, so, that's a GOOD thing !

02-Mar-16
when I hunted in Idaho I was amazed at how far back into the NF you can find a herd of domestic sheep,,,,,

03-Mar-16
That is great news for Wild Sheep

Thanks for the update Kyle

Good luck, Robb

03-Mar-16
Good news & thanks for the update. Is this ruling expected to be appealed further?

03-Mar-16
Greg,

I don't know. The Supreme Court is the only court left to the plaintiffs for an appeal, as the Circuit Courts are immediately below the Supreme Court in the organizational structure.

If they do appeal, I think they'd be taking big risk. Because if SCOTUS agrees the hear the case (they only take a very small percentage of the cases they are asked to hear) and they lose again, which I would guess would be the result, they'll have made the case against themselves even stronger.

03-Mar-16
Well, the 9th covers the vast majority of states that have domestics grazing in the vicinity of wild sheep so if let stand, it will affect those areas too. My guess is they will appeal.

03-Mar-16
That is awesome news

03-Mar-16
Wild sheep advocates are on a roll!

We're winning with the Forest Service, with Congress, with the science and even with the courts.

03-Mar-16
How far up the back 40 is Payette? Not saying this isn't a good decision for the sheep, the environment, etc., but that's a lot of the grazing allotments to be removed from domestic grazing. Assuming there had to be clear documentation about the bighorn's range and conflict with the domestics.

03-Mar-16
There is definitely a whole lot of evidence and supporting data to back up the court's decision.

Woolgrowers graze their sheep for a few pennies on the dollar in remote areas which are often very near wild sheep in most states in the west.

These sheep ranchers are therefore heavily subsidized.

Their sheep kill wild sheep, yet they whine and complain about 'the war on the west,' while fighting to the death against any and all efforts to make them deal with fair market values.

They are willing to have their sheep kill wild sheep for no other reason than they consider the public land they graze their sheep on for less than 15% of fair market value to be THEIR land.

Seriously!

03-Mar-16
Although not all grazing allotments will support cattle, they may be able to switch.

03-Mar-16
True.

WSF wants to work with woolgrowers to help them find grazing allotments that are not in close proximity to wild sheep, or if that's not a good option, help them convert to cattle.

• Sitka Gear