Old Reb 14-Mar-16
coyote 02-Jun-16
Archerdan 02-Jun-16
Medicinemann 02-Jun-16
'Ike' (Phone) 03-Jun-16
'Ike' (Phone) 03-Jun-16
'Ike' (Phone) 03-Jun-16
03-Mar-16
I'm hoping to get drawn for an antelope water hole hunt in WY this August. For those of you who have hunted antelope over water in the past, what piece of equipment(not counting your bow) are you glad you had along with you or later wish you had taken along?

03-Mar-16
A good book and a frozen jug of water come immediately to mind.

03-Mar-16
Comfortable chair, plenty to drink.

03-Mar-16
A good camera. Never know what will show up for a drink. Other than that it's pretty simple. You will be hot, thirsty and likely go a few hours here and there without seeing much so it's a great time to read a book...or write one.

03-Mar-16
Good, easy on the eyes binoculars

Rangefinder

Clothing for any type of weather conditions (hot, cold or wet)

Plenty of liquid to drink

Bathroom skills & aid so I would never have to leave the blind and show my presence at the blind( after laughing- remember my advice)

Best of luck on your drawing and hunt.

03-Mar-16
Book(s), water, comfortable chair, shorts, camera, and SNACKS!

Have fun!

03-Mar-16
A cooler full of drinks and food, comfortable chair, good books to read, a "pee" jug, carpet for the bottom of the blind, warm clothes for mornings and lots of patience.......lots of patience

03-Mar-16
A jacket for the cool mornings.

A small fan to move the air. Never had a issue with noise.

A cooler with frozen water bottles.

A good chair!!!

Good luck I had a lot of good days cooking in the double bull! Hunt

03-Mar-16
The ability to go from almost sleeping too "..that's a shooter!!!!" and get your bow up in about two seconds.

03-Mar-16
A gallon pee jug.

Good binos.

Dress in layers you can take off as the day warms.

A positive attitude- You never know when more antelope could be coming in.

03-Mar-16
Oh, and a bow holder your familiar with.

03-Mar-16
Rangefinder

03-Mar-16
Comfy chair

03-Mar-16
A blanket to keep the dust down and keep your feet clean. A small spray bottle filled with water to keep u cool.

03-Mar-16
I loved my neck towel. You know the one you put water on and put around your neck, on your head or down your back.

ED

04-Mar-16

ahunter55's embedded Photo
1-I have a swivel bucket seat that has a cooler inside that holds me a lunch & bottled water & a change in sitting when needed. 2-Comfortable chair with back 3-Range finder 4-Binocs 5-a ground bow holder 6-Camera (still & video on a tripod) 7-book if your a reader (I'm not). Everything else in my back pack. When you get in your blind make sure you have everything out of your way once you've positioned your chair. Imagine a couple places you "want" to shoot & draw your bow to see how it goes. CHECK/look inside your blind when you get there to see if any "critters" moved in during the night.. My days are usually at least 12 hours so being cool is one of your priorities & plenty to drink. Your in a blind so I wear a very light camo T shirt. Oh, I have a sweat shirt for early mornings as it's always chilly. I'll be out there this year too.. If you don't have a blind yet, make sure it's big enough to shoot out of comfortably. Windows need to be high enough you can shoot sitting down out of them (my preference)

04-Mar-16
Water, water, water and H20!

04-Mar-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
"must haves'"

04-Mar-16
Some food and drink.

04-Mar-16
Let's see some photos!

04-Mar-16
thermacell

04-Mar-16

04-Mar-16

What's your point Nick? I'm a lousy shot but my buddies aren't.. Public land DIY hunts. Yes. I'll be out there this year

04-Mar-16
Lousy shot? Thought you were like world champ or something?

Anyhow, not my point, just wanted to see some of your success photos that's all. Have fun in the ol sweat box this summer.

04-Mar-16

04-Mar-16

I get lucky once in awhile.. Just a ol guy that's been around a long time. Share some of your successes with us..

04-Mar-16

Since I'm nearing that 75th year of my life when Goat season rolls around, I look forward to "sitting" & waiting knowing many others are not as blessed as I am.. Apologize for off topic.

One thing about Waterhole hunting. HOPE for dry, hot weather. Just a little rain can kill your hunt a day or two & if your on a week long hunt can make it tough.. Also, if your hunting a walkin area (DIY, Public) make sure you know your boundaries. IF your out there during the rut, decoying, spot & stalk is more exciting. My shot knees don't afford me that luxury anymore. My buddies do both BUT their best Bucks have been from blinds..

04-Mar-16

rooster's embedded Photo
rooster's embedded Photo
Warmer clothes than you might imagine. We hunted at about 7000' elevation and it was pretty cold in the mornings, sub 40 degrees most mornings. I'd go with a black fleece jacket and stocking cap along with your usual layering pieces. Same thing if your camping an extra blanket or some sweats to sleep in would be a good thing.

04-Mar-16
I like a mover's blanket (padded quilt for items shipped in a truck) laid on the ground inside the blind. Keeps things clean, can take off my boots, keeps all movement quiet.

Makes good area to play card games & board games, play with stuffed animals and eat snacks with daughter, too :o)

04-Mar-16
The ONE thing I wish I had but didn't: shorts. (I did end up sitting in my underwear, but shorts would've felt less "dirty".)

04-Mar-16
Wait till the rut.

04-Mar-16

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
All good advice ! I will second the cooler full of eats and drinks, the carpet or other ground covering, and wear a black shirt. I carry an ipad as well, so I can read books or Bowsite.

A comfortable chair is a MUST for me !

04-Mar-16

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Heres a pix of my setup this pass fall.

ED

04-Mar-16
A blow up cushion to sit on. Chairs get hard after a few hours. Walmart has them for around $4.00 as I recall;. I think they are for folks who have hemorrhoids. Shaped kike a donut. I never go without one. I like to take a small movie camera as you never know what will show up. Good luck.

04-Mar-16
A guide to North American Wildlife so that you can determine the difference between a Pronghorn and an Antelope ;?)

04-Mar-16
As others have said the most comfy chair you can find, If in a blind the best blind you can get and shoot through it prior to the hunt, shorts a dark tee shirt that wicking and lots of reading material. and not exactly a to bring but make sure you get a blind or something that mimmicks a blind set at least a week before but the longer the better! Or if you do her my favorite way a platform in a windmill same comfy chair sunblock a big brimmed hat sunglasses and for both as others have said a cooler with some frozen jugs of water and snacks. I love hunting those critters and the only thing that's crossed my mind that I haven't done in the last few years is a decoy like a Montana or anything really. I often wonder if some of the goats on the fringe that dnt come in or that know theres water there and choose to water two pastures over if it would've have ever made a difference? Oh yeah I almost forgot not my idea but I took as my own some outdoor carpet or those big carpeted mats to lay on the floor gives ya more cushion and keeps the dust down or if a fella just decides he needs to take a nap and miss the big boy taking a sip! They realy do make a difference though!

04-Mar-16

Highcountrystykbow's Link

04-Mar-16

04-Mar-16

04-Mar-16

Highcountrystykbow's embedded Photo

04-Mar-16

04-Mar-16

04-Mar-16

Always wanted a "trophy" doe...

04-Mar-16

04-Mar-16

04-Mar-16
I got the buck and doe two days apart and one more doe as well. But by far the highlight of that trip or possibly any Ive been on was sitting up there watching my little brother shoot that doe (his first big game animal with a longbow to boot!) He also got another doe by himself in a different windmill the following day! we had a doe tag each left but we figured it had been a fine three days! I too have enough points to draw that unit again this year and will be sitting that same windmill...I cant wait! Just turkey season has me jazzed right now!

04-Mar-16

chief400's embedded Photo
Snake repellant.

04-Mar-16

Had visitors daily.

05-Mar-16
I have a fan that runs on C batteries. It moves the air in the blind when its hot. And with 100+ temps in the blind its a life saver.

05-Mar-16

Triple 3's embedded Photo

Triple 3's Link
A snow shovel and gortex pants and boots! Sometimes Wyoming happens! This was second week in September 2014! 2 foot snow collapsed and ruined 9 double bull blinds!! Don't forget the pee bottle and other nature call type things. Frozen water bottles,snacks, good books and lots of layers of clothes. Mornings can be down right cold!

Craig

Bowsite Sponsor

05-Mar-16

05-Mar-16
Cactus proof knee pads and maybe leather gloves.

06-Mar-16
Think about your blind too, especially for high winds. I also have several pieces of black material and safety pins so I can block off parts of the windows as needed as well as pin down the shoot through camo netting. Like others have said a moving blanket is very nice to have on the blind floor to keep it clean, block light on the floor edges, and make it comfy in your socks.

06-Mar-16
Tweezers for cactus lol

06-Mar-16
I set on a waterhole one time when I would have gladly given a $100 for some skeeter dope o a thermacell, them little devils can make for a miserable time.

09-Mar-16
I hunted them about 14 years ago and will be doing it again this year. My advice is just keep the front blind window open and close the others and don't look out of them, they will see you. Wear black if you can and have layers like said above. They will do a head fake when first going to drink so be prepared for that but once they are committed than make your shot.

14-Mar-16
Thanks for every ones input and advise. Much appreciated.

02-Jun-16
Nobody mentioned something to remove the sand burs ! ??

02-Jun-16
Got a hunt booked in September and will be my first trip for them. So, please tell me what a "sand bur" is and what I need to remove them.

02-Jun-16
Think of a miniature "buckeye" (horse chestnut) or a sea urchin the size of a pea....you can remove them with a comb.....like flicking off cactus.

03-Jun-16

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Camera for sure....

03-Jun-16

That's a actual CA Sage Grouse above...Lol

And CA Lope's....

03-Jun-16

Don't forget a trail-cam to scout other areas...

• Sitka Gear