SDHNTR(home) 09-Mar-16
BC 09-Mar-16
Fuzzy 09-Mar-16
Bestbowhunter 09-Mar-16
Fuzzy 03-May-16
shortstop 03-May-16
Fuzzy 03-May-16
08-Mar-16
Anyone here ever hunt NF for black bear? You sure don't hear much about it. I'll be headed there in June and am getting pretty excited about it. Can anyone please confirm, do we need a weapons permit for bringing a bow?

08-Mar-16
to Qustion 1Yes, twice.

To Comment 1" It's a well-kept secret.

To comment 2: Great! You'll LOVE it!

To question #2: No, just tell them at the border that you're bowhunting, and be prepared time-wise to have your load inspected. (mine wasn't)

08-Mar-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

08-Mar-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

08-Mar-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

08-Mar-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

08-Mar-16
I'm going in June too... what a strange coincidence... Ed F

08-Mar-16
They only have big ones:) Not many Outfitters do baiting or know how to set up baits. If your Outfitter does it well you will have great hunt. Good Luck. C

PS: It is highly possible you will be the first residents from California to Spring Bear hunt the Rock!

08-Mar-16
Well that's good news, eh Ed? I'm hoping our outfitter (Robert's) knows the program. He's been doing it for a while.

Fuzzy, who did you hunt with? The fishing looks cool too. Brookies? How much of a PITA is it to get hides and meat back to the states?

Any must haves for a June bear hunt in NF? Besides a pile of Molson? Thermacell?

I'm just excited for a new adventure. I love going new places to bowhunt.

08-Mar-16

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo

08-Mar-16
How big of a bar you holdin out fer, Hoser? Eh?

Just practicing on how to talk Canadian early!

08-Mar-16
How big of a bar you holdin out fer, Hoser? Eh?

Just practicing early!

09-Mar-16
I have not hunted it on a baited hunt but did take one spot and stalk on a moose/caribou hunt. Ir was not one of the monsters the island is known for. the year before I played, without a tag, with a monster and got to within 20 yards on an absolute tank while feeding on blueberries. that got me to buy a tag the next year and I got one about half the size. still a unique deal to take one on the ground.

frankly, one does not need to go to the trouble, time, or expense to go to all the way to nfld to hunt good bear, but if you have never been there, and are not looking to ever go for moose or caribou, you should definitely visit. great place

09-Mar-16
Yes, brookies "mud trout" in the creeks, landlock salmon in the rivers.

Bug suit and Thermacell BOTH are a must, and Muck Boots.

Quiet clothing, the bears are spooky as all hell on baits (they're more afraid of other, bigger bears than hunters it seems).

The bears are HUGE. Not a lot heavier than Southern bears, but BIGGER.

Think Shaquile O'Neill vs John Candy. Both 350#, but Shack is BIGGER

Nick and I took smaller bears by our choice (we love bear meat and aren't really trophy hunters, but the really big boys are there.

We hunted with Victoria Outfitters, Dave Evans, super guy.

They aren't BS sponsors so I won't post contact info out of respect for Charlie, Pat, and the paying clientele, but I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

I'll also say that I doubt you'll find a BAD Newfie outfitter.

Those guys take hunting and fishing SERIOUSLY.

09-Mar-16
We left the hides with Newfie Taxidermist, haven't gotten them back yet, my understanding is the Taxi handles CITES and shipping as part of the service.

Meat was no biggie, the outfitter set us up with the proper paperwork, and we had about 1/2 hour at the border on Canadian side with background check and reviewing paperwork. They were polite but thorough.

Professionals.

09-Mar-16
bug suit AND thermacell? That does not sound good.

09-Mar-16
If the wind is blowing, the Thermacell doesn't work very well.

09-Mar-16

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
I hunted the Rock in 2003. Good hunt. My bear made P&Y.

09-Mar-16
Now that's a punkin' head! wow. Great bear. Congrats.

09-Mar-16
Yeah, some big bears there for sure. My buddy killed a bruiser also.

09-Mar-16
bb is correct. And if you're on a stand with no radio, no phone reception, and a guide pick-up scheduled for half hour after 0-dark-thirty, 5 hours away, and the therma cell malfunctions, you'll live, but you won't like it.

09-Mar-16
PM sent

03-May-16
Just talked to my Newfoundland Taxidermist, the bear skins are back from the tannery, so my rugs should be coming soon! (by way of a "ttt" post for your thread SDHNTR sir.

03-May-16
If the wind is blowing you probably won't need the thermocell.

03-May-16
shortstop, you're exactly right, b/c it doesn't work when its windy. You WILL need a bug suit tho, those Newfie bugs are determined.

• Sitka Gear