FullCryHounds 22-Mar-16
grape 23-Mar-16
jmiller 23-Mar-16
Hunt98 26-Mar-16
FullCryHounds 26-Mar-16
20-Mar-16

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
I harvested an average sized chocolate bear in Ontario last fall with my bow. Not wanting a rug done, I decided to have it just tanned. I made a display for it out of pine, and added a small hook to hold the skin. I reinforced the nose area to prevent it from stretching out the delicate nose area. I think it turned out pretty good, and doesn't take up a lot of space.

20-Mar-16
Really well done

20-Mar-16
Looks great Jeff!

20-Mar-16
That looks great! We already have a big rug so if I get my bear this spring I was thinking I may do something similar. Very good idea and well done.

20-Mar-16
Like the simplicity and beauty of what you have done. Nice job.

20-Mar-16
That is what I had in mind for my next bear. I have 2 half bodies and a rug already. You nailed it! Looks great.

20-Mar-16
Cool! I like it.

21-Mar-16
Yep, add me to the list. Two rugs + one half-mount + limited space = "miller bearskin display" for my next one (if I get another one).

Thanks for sharing!

22-Mar-16

Grape's embedded Photo
Grape's embedded Photo
I have lots of bear mounts ..I started getting rugs too. They make an interesting addition to my past hunts..

22-Mar-16

Grape's embedded Photo
Grape's embedded Photo
Here's some over a railing..

22-Mar-16
Can you explain what you did to reinforce the nose and where you hook the hide? I'm going on a bear hunt and I already have a 3/4 mount and I'm out of wall space. I like the tanned hide idea with no mounted head. Do you still get felt layer like a rug, or leave it bare?

22-Mar-16
No, the hides have been really very easy to hang without anything but the hides and a hanging nail or screw......it will give you a lot more room..

22-Mar-16
Double post.

22-Mar-16
If you only have your hide tanned and do not plan on ever having it mounted, I would suggest having it garment tanned. There are only a few good tanners in the country that do Garment tanning. Taxidermy tanning is meant to be mounted within a few years. Garment tanning will stay softer and last longer then a taxidermy tan. If you ever have a furbearer tanned to just hang on the wall, they should all be garment tanned too.

23-Mar-16
Soft tanning is the way to go Dean..you are right. Jeff's Ontario Bear looks great.He reminded all of us of the options we have when we have limited space or we're running short of wall space..Thanks Jeff!

23-Mar-16
All I did to reinforce the nose was put an old sock in the nose area, to add padding to the nose. So far that seems to be working fine. I'm glad to help, I love taxidermy and don't live in a huge house, so I need creative ideas to display it all, without turning the whole place into a museum.

26-Mar-16
Garment tanning... Where is a good place that does it and about how much does it cost?

Will they accept a hide with the skull still attached?

26-Mar-16
Tubari or Moyle are very good tanneries that can do Garment tanning. The hides have to be properly fleshed, salted and dried before shipping. Furbearers can be dried on a stretching board and shipped that way.

• Sitka Gear