Ungie01201 01-Apr-16
drycreek 01-Apr-16
Dr. Deer 01-Apr-16
Fuzzy 01-Apr-16
Stekewood 01-Apr-16
Ohio_Tony 06-Apr-16
JacksMT 13-Apr-16
22-Mar-16
I've passed on that exact type setup twice before. Be patient, there's always another day, until there isn't!

22-Mar-16
My grandson passed on the same shot with a shotgun on his very 1st chance at shooting a deer. I asked why he passed on the shot and his reply was 'I didn't know if if it was cool or not'. Pretty good reply for a 12 yr old.

22-Mar-16
Post deleted. Answered my own question.

22-Mar-16
great first question, a 5 year curse with no bow kills on anyone that gets it wrong!

23-Mar-16
Good one Jack......... Pat, we need a "like" button on these reply boxes.

23-Mar-16
Well, based on the blood trail leading to the dead deer in the original post, this should go pretty well. No searching for a pin drop of blood in a full screen of leaves.

23-Mar-16
I actually shot a doe last year that ran off and did not leave a blood trail. I found her about 80 yards away and for about a 5 yard distance the blood trail looked like that in the picture. Not another drop found until all at once she spilled it out.

23-Mar-16
I can see it on my iPhone on mobile site but it won't launch. Can only do from laptop

23-Mar-16
Blood trails tell a story but not the whole story. I will take this moment to remind Pat that the "ethical thing to do " is subjective. Where I come from a deer is almost sacred so killing one without using all the meat is almost sinful. There are some places(sadly ) where a deer is simply a resource to be exploited at will.

24-Mar-16
Question 2, D is a clean double lung hit, what can be better considering the downward angle of the arrow?

24-Mar-16
Sorry guys I hit the wrong prompt before answering #1. Zero!

24-Mar-16
"Question 2, D is a clean double lung hit, what can be better considering the downward angle of the arrow? "

Agree - because "B" is just too low from high up in a tree, you can't count on deer ducking. You could actually miss the heart and have little chance to get lung especially if hit a little lower than you aimed. I felt a better shot was between D and B. I knew the answer was probably "B" but not where I would aim unless ground level, so I chose D as the best choice on the diagram although still not optimal.

24-Mar-16
It is interesting tome as None of the choices would be my sight picture. I tend to aim slightly higher than textbook.

24-Mar-16
A is likely to give you a liver only shot. Certainly fatal, but what if you miss slightly to the rear? Neither A or D is ideal, but given the choice I am going to take D every time.

24-Mar-16
I picked D also,but would have aimed dead center of all 4 choices

24-Mar-16
I too picked D, based on the fact that B is too low for such a steep angle. And personally, I would've shot in the middle of all of them. I find it ironic that the perfect location is never an option and it's picking the best of 4 bad choices.

I'm going to get on my soap box again, that the 10 ring on a 3D target is in the wrong position and it teaches bowhunters bad habits. The 10 ring should be the center of the ribcage. Aiming for the heart/lung, precisely where 'B' is located, can lead to shoulder hits. You want room for error 360 degrees, not half or a quarter. Also, the 10 ring is too low for elevated positions. Look at where 'B' is and if the hunter is at the same level as the cameraman, the exit will likely be in the white area of the chest.

Also, heart shots are overrated IMO. Sure animals perish from hemorrhaging, but the quickest way to dispatch any quarry is cutting off the oxygen supply, and the best way to do that is by collapsing both lungs. The lungs are the biggest target, so why not aim for the center of them on a broadside shot?

I'm very curious to hear the other side of the coin why 'B' is the preferred shot placement and why we as stewards should be promoting it as such. The question should be reworded, "Of the four choices, although not the best shot placement, where do you believe the hunter chose to shoot?"

I could really care less about the question wrong, it's not about that.

24-Mar-16
It seems like the best answer to these #2 type questions is always between or in the middle of the established dots. I'm with Jack and Knife, but I did get it right cuz I kind of know how Pat thinks. LOL.

24-Mar-16
I picked D. Of the four choices that is where I would aim. A and C are to far back. B is to low. Assuming shots are from elevated stand.

24-Mar-16
I was thinking 'B' based on past BTCs, but the clue didn't allude to the deer being on alert and possibly dropping to duck the arrow.

24-Mar-16
x2 what jeff did hit the wrong one by mistake hate it when that happens Lewis

24-Mar-16
Well that didn't take long did it?

24-Mar-16
B is what I picked because this is textbook. I would probably aim a little higher, but not much. I have sailed an arrow or two over an old nannie's back too ! :)

24-Mar-16
I dont see it as much of a downward angle so I went with B, its either heart or lungs or both.

D is a bit high and forward for the angle I think. D is what causes the " I hit him perfect but I can't find him" and the "brand x broadheads suck" threads.

24-Mar-16

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
Crying? There's no crying in Blood Trail Challenges!!

24-Mar-16
I'm with tradmt.

I thought B looked pretty darn good.

24-Mar-16
Pat hunts in CT - all the deer there are jumpy, so he aims lower than most of us would. I've learned that after doing a few of these challenges, so I got #2 correct!

24-Mar-16

spikebow's embedded Photo
I liked B as well hit them there and they don't leave your sight

24-Mar-16

24-Mar-16
While I answered #3 as 30 minutes my own experience is a nice hit like that and I just listen to hear them fall. There not getting up from that.

24-Mar-16
I picked D also,but would have aimed dead center of all 4 choices.

I would not have hit in the center of all 4 choices because I never hit where I aim, but that was not the question.

24-Mar-16
I would have gotten them all but on the first I accidentally hit the reply before I chose an answer. Lol

24-Mar-16
Well, I looked at the vid four times trying to see if Pat was up to his old tricks ( even though he said " textbook " ), and I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with that shot, so I've decided he can't put out a bloodtrail challenge without a little skullduggery attatched. That's all right, went with the thirty minutes even though I think that deer would have been gutted and hanging in thirty minutes. Tell me what I'm missing here.

24-Mar-16
I to got the goose egg for #3 cause it said inspect arrow not take up trail. Oh well

Mike

24-Mar-16
I also failed at #3.... dang textbook thing. Should have known! lol

24-Mar-16
Ha, me too, I wonder how many actually wait when they know the shot is perfect?

24-Mar-16
what the heck is going on, I went to answer the 1st question but when I hovered the mouse over the answer choices they would not highlight, the only box that highlighted was the enter your answer button???? so like a dummy I thought you had to activate the choices by choosing the enter your choice button, the answer that was written in the box is what got entered for me I never got to see any other choices. Anyone else have this happen?

24-Mar-16
Yep mrelite, same thing here. Thought clicking on the green, "enter your choice" would show me the other choices. Looked like clicking on the white box would enter the wrong answer! Tricky from the start!

25-Mar-16
Pat, I agree you shouldn't have taken the shot. I scored a 9 b/c I answered what you "should do" but I'll tell you up front I'd have neen out of that tree in 5 and gutting a deer in ten minutes. Good shot.

25-Mar-16
I like to sit in the stand several minutes even if I see the deer fall. Nothing like that feeling! With that shot however it would not have been required. Good shot Pat!

25-Mar-16
this new method of choosing an answer is not working. To many guys, myself included, have not had the choice selection come up. Has to be changed!!!!!!!!

25-Mar-16
To me on question 2 the best answers are B and D. I would have shot probably in between them. Either one is going to make the kill and tracking would not be a problem for a seasoned hunter. You can take the word "Text Book" and file it. It's has always been about the situation your faced with. More guys would miss the "B" shot as the y would shoot to low. In between the two letters is the ticket

25-Mar-16
You guys need to left click on the choice box and the options will be in a drop down box.

25-Mar-16
BS on #3. I'm getting down immediately so I can get home and spend some quality time with the wife. She always appreciates when I come home early. LOL.

25-Mar-16
old fart and computer illiterate wrong button = 0 for question 1

25-Mar-16
So all of you guys who would have just climbed down and gone to get your deer, do you have high quality video equipment with you so you can review the shot in slow motion?

The point is that you wait because while you think the shot was perfect, unless you see the deer fall and stay down, you don't know for sure.

25-Mar-16
I failed #3 too. with a shot like that I would have climbed down pretty quick to look at my arrow. The waiting comes in while climbing down, inspecting your arrow, looking for blood where the deer was standing, drinking some water, eating a candy bar, trying not to smile too big yet, reviewing the shot, etc. Enough waiting, now go get your deer! Lol

25-Mar-16
#3, for that shot I would've got down and gutted my deer. So I got a 0.

In reality, I would've waited 30 minutes only to see if another would show up.

25-Mar-16
I always wait at least an hour unless the deer is within sight. It also gives me a chance to calm down before descending from my tree stand. I chose 30 minutes as two hours was too long.

As for the shot. I wouldn't have shot with the fawn that close, sometimes arrows do funny things on impact. Im not bashing Pat for his choice. obviously his angle was a little different than the camera. I do like the shot placement though. From the angle of the picture a pass through shot would have punched through the heart or lungs if it ducked. The off side might have hit her upper leg still within the body cavity even is she didn't duck. not sure if the camera angle was the same, higher or lower than Pat was.

I cant tell yet but it didn't appear even in slow motion that Pat got a pass through.He might of hit the offside leg or used a Rage BH. Then again he does shoot a Mathews, ha ha ha LOL

25-Mar-16
Wrong button for me too on 3, tried to watch video and put in a wrong answer .

25-Mar-16
Ace, I've done it dozens of times w/o at a bad incident yet. At 10-15 yards it's not hard to know your hit was devastating. Of course I shoot a slow bow so I see where my arrow hits.

and,.....,I'm bitter because I got it wrong. LOL.

25-Mar-16
I went with "D" on #1 Just reminds me of what Old Bill Wadsworth (NBEF) would have described as the highest percentage shot just incase things go a little wrong....

25-Mar-16
Good shot. I would have waited just long enough to play back the video before I went to check the arrow and them maybe another 15 before the trail but probably not even that. Thats a devastating shot unless you were using a field point!

I got #3 wrong.

25-Mar-16
I also go 3 wrong. #3 should have a 5 minuets option. I figured the answer would be 30 minuets, but I would be shocked if any one actually waited that long if they knew that is where their arrow hit.

25-Mar-16
I think the 30 minutes in #3 is the total time it takes from shot to back straps sizzling on the grill with that placement.

25-Mar-16
Beautiful shot. All of you that are saying you answered immediately are forgetting all the time it takes to text your buddies, get rid of the shakes, take selfies, review the video footage, etc. You know, all that "essential" stuff that comes along with hunting now! :-)

25-Mar-16
12yards, the first time you follow too quickly, jump the deer out of her bed, realize too late that it was a liver hit, and never find that deer, you'll change your behavior. Or, you can learn from the mistakes of others, your choice.

Here is what I teach in the Bowhunter Education classes: Very few deer are lost by waiting too long, and so many deer are lost by following too soon.

If you see the deer drop and it's dead, wait long enough to be able to climb down safely. If it doesn't drop within sight, wait an hour.

25-Mar-16
Ace, I respect your view. I also, respectfully, state that with a 60# recurve, at reasonable range and light-colored fletchings, with that light level and shot angle, I'd know where my arrow hit.

25-Mar-16
What Pat said... :)

25-Mar-16
Messed up also, on #1

25-Mar-16
"At least you guys have moved on from the shot placement question. Jeesh."

Don't get me started Pat. You know D was the only correct answer if you had any hope of putting a hamblaster on that fawn.

25-Mar-16
D is dead, funny how even Pat's shot was higher then the 9 point B. Why wait when you watch the doe fall, seriously by the time you lower your bow and climb down the doe will have been dead for 10 min.

25-Mar-16
Cannot get this to work on my iPhone. Any help for me??

25-Mar-16
I knew what the "correct" answer to #3 was going to be but I answered it wrong anyway. When I make a shot like that I am going to climb down immediately and "inspect the arrow". I would not follow the deer for at least 30 minutes, but climbing down from the tree wouldn't cause a problem

26-Mar-16
I looked for the arrow in the video after the shot. I didn't find it. I wonder where it was.

26-Mar-16
So you guys with more computer sense than this old guy, tell me how you knew that clicking on the wrong answer would show the other answers?

26-Mar-16
Question 4... I should have known...

26-Mar-16
X2 ^^^^

26-Mar-16
Yup screwed up question 4..forgot about the textbook thing...LOL

26-Mar-16
I'm busted ....textbook edition :)

but If I saw the first doe drop, the second is a goner.

26-Mar-16
You are right on Ace and that is the way it should be taught. "Textbook" as Pat puts it. And in all honesty it probably is close to 20 or 30 minutes by the time I start tracking. I usually sit for a few minutes and calm down then I begin the process of taking all my stuff down from the tree; stand, bow hanger, climbing sticks, etc. I once shot a buck I thought might be liver and sat in my stand for 4 hours before I got down to look at my arrow. It ended up I hit the very upper back part of the lungs on both sides and the deer didn't live more than 15 minutes probably. And you are right, if I keep doing what I'm doing, I might eventually make a bad decision; and waiting 30 minutes will never hurt anything. And I've already paid for my mistake, by losing 9 points. Doh!

26-Mar-16
I got it wrong, but textbook or not, I'd be shooting the second doe.....

26-Mar-16
Here's the thing Pat. What textbook are you getting this from, one you wrote yourself?

You just made an absolute perfect kill shot on the first deer, and now you're going to let the second one walk? That's just ridiculous. If I had no more confidence than that I'd stay home.

26-Mar-16

KJC's embedded Photo
KJC's embedded Photo

26-Mar-16
I agree. Perfect shot on the first doe. The second one is going to be shot too.

If i am going to get bloody, i might add well process two deer.

In my textbook, it is extremely unlikely that both blood trails would be long. In the unusual situation, i would call friends for help.

26-Mar-16
As I mentioned above, the only reason I would wait to track deer one, is to see if deer two gave me that shot. Textbook or not, I don't get too many shots per season with my trad bow, I'm shooting again. So, I get another goose egg. lol.

26-Mar-16
And with question 4 I quit playing this game. Absurd.

26-Mar-16
I would normally shoot the second doe if was sure the first one was a great hit and likely died within a few seconds. I would not shoot her in this scenario. Without getting on the ground and looking at the arrow and/or blood, theres a real possibility that the fawn was hit as well. Arrows exit animals at weird angles all the time.

I would need to get down and sort out whether or not I got away with taking the risky shot before adding what could be a third tracking job.

26-Mar-16
There is no way I'm not shooting the second deer.

26-Mar-16
Plenty of reasons to not shoot the second deer. Is it day one of the season ? Is it almost dark ? Do you need the meat ? Do you want to clean and quarter two deer ? On, and on.....

But the best reason : Is it TEXTBOOK ?

26-Mar-16
Choooot

Ive got 3 dead deer & only 18 pts to show f'rit

Hopin the blood is flourescent orange so i can see it

26-Mar-16
Guys it's an Internet game with the rules made based on an opinion. Just relax and enjoy it.

26-Mar-16
texbook edition yet were shooting at adoe with a fawn right behind it on the first clue. i guess thats textbook nowadays huh. i wouldnt teach my kids to do that

26-Mar-16
Alright! Now if I'd known I had two tags, I'd have doubled on the first shot!

27-Mar-16
I chose to not shoot the second doe just based on the fact I hadn't yet fully inspected the scenario from the first shot. Very possibly could have hit that fawn standing behind the first doe.

27-Mar-16
Hahaha, I should have known better... Damn you Pat! LOL.

27-Mar-16
Bloodtrwil Challenge discussions are more entertaining than the Challenges themselves. Too funny.....

27-Mar-16
It's not a 180" buck.

27-Mar-16
Yes DAVE, YOU are right, if they had the tag, Doe or Buck, they would have taken that shot. I got a ZERO but on it & I haven't shot a Doe for years. Leave em for the new hunters & kids.

27-Mar-16
Ooops. I got 5 right but punched the wrong button...

27-Mar-16
Yeah, some valid points here. It really doesnt make much sense to take the first shot with the fawn behind it and not the second.

The first shot should have been the pass if any. I would have killed both of them and not waited 5 min to get down and inspect the arrows. :)

27-Mar-16
All the following answers will be A. I like A's can't get better than an A, perfect A is textbook !!!

27-Mar-16
The last picture in question 5 was hilarious!!!

27-Mar-16
Yes, but is that actually textbook "blood sign"? LOL.

27-Mar-16
The last picture in question 5 is definitely textbook blood sign as well as containing hair. I'm surprised they have managed to get another couple of questions created after that image.

27-Mar-16
In Ohio the 2nd deer can not be taken until the 1st deer has had a temporary tag placed on it.

27-Mar-16
Yes, we would know the rules IF we were hunting any state... We could shoot em both IF we have the tags...

27-Mar-16
I have a tough time with these blood sign questions. Often I will see what I suspect is blood only to find I am mistaken.

28-Mar-16
Oops, I killed that second deer choosing B thanks to BB's shot and she dropped in sight. Now I can go look for deer 1. :(

Darn! and I was doing so good!

28-Mar-16
I'm still batting 1000 b/c I know Pat's rulebook. In real life, I'd have two bloodtrails

28-Mar-16
I love it, this is "Textbook", take the shot on the first deer with the other one behind it, apologize, then not take a shot on the second deer because the textbook is back in play? I thought the textbook was left at home during the hunt and it's the questions, not decisions, that are textbook. :)

28-Mar-16
Hey I missed the first one because I knew this was a blood trail challenge and figured for sure Pat shot the doe. He did lol, so I'll count it as a win.

28-Mar-16
2nd doe would have gotten it no question... 1st shot was a dead deer. 2nd would have been in the truck too.

28-Mar-16
I guess all you "I wouldn't shoot the second Doe" guys better not go Quail hunting.

The whole Covey will be gone by the time you find your first Bird.

;^)

28-Mar-16
It always cracks me up how RIGHT people's wrong answers are! Too funny

28-Mar-16
I'm always right. :)

28-Mar-16
first off ,their is nothing wrong with taking the first shot. and after seeing where you hit the deer it is down close by and expired in a minute or less of breathing on its side. so if the second shot presents itself why not take it unless the other deer is magically running around somewhere. come on, this one drove me crazy so far.

28-Mar-16
More than 1 say the first one was perfect shot, so why not the second one??

How about if the second shot is not ideal??

Not to mention, I like to HUNT, not just kill. Kill again and the HUNT is over.

29-Mar-16
Don't I feel stupid.

29-Mar-16
txhunter58,

If the second shot is bad why not use that time to process the first get it taken care of and then take up the second trail. With that first shot in an hours I can have an elk hanging in bags. A small white tail would take me just long enough to fill that 1/2 hour follow up wait time.

29-Mar-16
Why do so many guys want to shoot "Fawns" This "Ole Hunter" sees no benefit in that. What happened to the mighty "Trophy Hunter Concept" I knew when that crap came out it was just BS. TX Hunter 58 has it right. Enjoy the hunt. Take what you really need. What happened to Pig Doc.

29-Mar-16
"Don't I feel stupid."

sitt5858- please elaborate. Did you get one of the questions wrong or did you put foil in the microwave? ;) (not that I've ever done that ha!)

29-Mar-16
To those who say you would have taken the shot at the second deer, have you considered this possibility?:

What if a pass-through on the first deer resulted in a hit on the yearling standing behind her? You shooting the 'second' deer, could have actually resulted in 3 hit or killed deer, with only 2 tags in your pocket. You would not have known this at that time.

In addition, even if you had enough tags, the first deer was not down within sight, you might have 3 bloodtrails to sort out, that could cause problems.

29-Mar-16
Pat - per usual this is fun, but leaves me saying, in a loving way of course: "You Ba****d!" :)

Looking forward to question 8.

I "fell for that one" Ace. Your point is a great one. I have, one one occasion, shot two deer on the same outing. They were together and I shot one, saw it fall, the other went back to munching and I shot that one. I've not done it since because, well... I dont like the idea of shooting multiple deer in one spot. That's a different discussion though - I always regretted that despite having fond memories of the day and the meals that ensued :)

Any way, In my head while reading the questions, deer one was 100% dead and the other deer not hit. I had no reason to believe that other than assuming that to be the case from what Pat had laid out. Reflecting on it, if I view it from a more complete perspective - as you did - it would be bad to shoot that next deer given the prospect of 2 hit deer initially. Good point.

29-Mar-16
Well, I was on a roll until the " where's the deer " question. Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, so I will be consulting with my attorney about Pat taking advantage of the old and visually challenged. Seeing as how he lives in the land of libs, I can probably win ! ( I still say there ain't no damn deer in that picture )

29-Mar-16
Pat does have a lot to learn about photography. I have more than a few photographs of vegetation on my trail cameras.

29-Mar-16
I can't believe I missed the Deer photo. I was looking too hard, and saw deer everywhere!!!!

LOL !

Ace,

What if that first arrow, glanced off a rock, flew over to New London, struck a Nuke Sub while it was on loading Nuclear Missiles, causing a Missile Launch, that hit somewhere in Alabama?

My point is, if you are a "what if'er", ya better give up bowhunting. The Video plainly shows the first arrow only struck one Deer, backed up by Pats Testimony.

You have the same chance at three bloodtrails as you did hitting a Nuke Sub in New London, CT.

. . . . if a frog had wings, it wouldn't . . . . . .

29-Mar-16
Well, I saw the deer....but I thought it was a hoof.

29-Mar-16
Man, tough challenge for me. Can't get any of these right. The last, find the deer, even after seeing where it is I couldn't distinguish it for a deer. Fun just the same.

29-Mar-16
I can't find the deer even after being told where it is.

29-Mar-16
Aahh, now I see it, had to scoot the screen up a bit, duh. Thanks for doing these Pat.

30-Mar-16
find the deer nose... now that is text book.

30-Mar-16
Got me again! The nose. Clever girl.

30-Mar-16
I got #7 right and didn't even see the correct part. I seen other evidence. Or so I thought.

30-Mar-16
#7 = where is Waldo

I would hope in a real life situation you wouldn't have to find the nose to find the deer

30-Mar-16
coelk: What if the second deer runs the same way and you spook her trying to recover the first deer?

Also, with the advantage of slo-mo camera, we can see it was a perfect shot on the doe. In the real world, not so much. Sometimes what I was sure I saw wasn't really what happened.

Neither of us is right or wrong, just different opinions :-)

30-Mar-16
I should have known. When I think I'm getting closer to my dead deer, I always start looking ahead for a deer nose. Dangit!

30-Mar-16
How far did she go after the shot? Unless you were there it is only a guess. Was she inhaling or exhaling when the arrow hit? This is fun stuff if you don't take it too seriously.

30-Mar-16
I was looking for a deer hanging from a tree on the last question, figured Pat was going to try to trick us somehow...LOL. Almost got me till I looked at every little teeny tiny spot :)

30-Mar-16
Where is question #8? I see, trying to concoct a real whopper of a question. If you get any question wrong and whine about it = 0 pts. If you get all questions right and 'Like' BTC 39 = 9 pts. All others = 3pts.

30-Mar-16
Most interesting part of this was seeing TBM listed at 63 points on the top 1000 list

30-Mar-16
1st time I had a perfect score.

30-Mar-16
I have never gotten a perfect score on one of these, but should have this time. While I am happy with a 63, I got zero points on #4 because I would have taken the shot on the second doe if I had wanted to take two deer in the same evening. (Depends on time of year, etc.), not on whether I have a non-recovered deer to track. While Pat seems to rationalize that point, he really fails to admit that the first shot taken as is, was completely unethical and stupid. (He is very, very lucky he didn't wound the fawn). So Pat, as they say on 670 am radio "The Score", "Who ya Crappin"?

30-Mar-16
^^^^^ I think Pat made it clear he shouldn't have taken this shot, but beat him up anyway, he deserves it for the " where's Waldo " crap he puts in every bloodtrail challenge.

30-Mar-16
I took the shot on the second doe and I liked it, liked it, yes I did!

30-Mar-16
I know the camera angle is different from your angle but you exactly shot between d and b, both which in my opinion would be deadly. I got a zero for selecting D. If I could shoot a hundred deer I would love them all to nail that spot.

30-Mar-16
That would have been the best shot of the challenge. I agree with Drycreek on that. One thing is that we should be our own "Moral Compass" in the life and death game of bow hunting. Even though this is just a "game", we should all be cognizant of the impression we leave on the less experienced of the participants on this forum.

Just giving Pat some crap. I really enjoy these blood trails. Thanks!

30-Mar-16
Crap! I got cocky and missed the last question partially.

30-Mar-16
Textbook is too easy. Bring back the skulduggery!

31-Mar-16
My first Blood Trail Challenge, and I only missed one...apparently I don't know how to read direction from blood splatter! Doh! Anywho, a big thank you to Pat and the Bowsite staff who put this together...I would like to have a BTC every month!

The only criticism I have, is the state ranking system...I mean c'mon! The states in the lead only have like 5-6 people playing! Instead of the winning state being based off of score average, it would be interesting to see which state would win based off of total accumulated points...I'm thinking it would be PA! :-)

Ok...that's my one and only criticism, of an otherwise fun, challenging game! Now, when does BTC40 begin?!?

31-Mar-16
I missed #7 because I second guessed myself about what I was seeing. Ack!

31-Mar-16
I only got 45. I guess I'm not the textbook hunter I thought I was. At least I got the last question right so I know the deer's anatomy, except for the nose of course.

31-Mar-16
I actually like where the doe was hit, and it was higher than "B" was on the earlier question which I felt was too low from elevated position.

31-Mar-16
I got 63 (missed the second question), and I have yet to actually kill a deer. Either I am good at taking tests or Bowsite is very good at instructing noobs and wannabe hunters on the ins and outs of the deer hunting craft.

31-Mar-16
I don't see anything wrong with looking for arrow right away. It's the actual tracking you should wait on. On 8 I chose A because there are broken branches that make it look like something ran thru there. I didn't see the deters nose.

31-Mar-16
Aced it. Got 72!!

>>>>-------->

31-Mar-16
screwwd up and pushed wrong button on 1st question 9s on all the rest pissed away perfect score oh well Lewis

31-Mar-16
I do like these challenges but I have to agree with 'drycreek' about the 'where's Waldo' question. I would have sworn that the left lung would have been hit as well on the exit but it's good to know the actual results. Also, I would have been quite comfortable taking that second doe. My biggest issue would have been tracking two deer along the same possible trail. I've participated in this scenario and it is challenging especially on marginally hit deer.

31-Mar-16
Missed question three because I was only inspecting the arrow, or at least thats what the question was anyway.

Missed #4 because I would have taken that doe in a heartbeat. Here I am, sitting a stand filming the hunt, I shoot a doe, replay the camera and confirm that I made a deadly quick kill that will likely leave a great trail even though I doubt I will need it. In this scenario the only good reason not to take it is if you just don't want to!

Fun anyway, thanks Pat.

31-Mar-16
I got a 63 which means Pat only had one answer incorrect. Not bad Pat!

:^)

31-Mar-16
the one about you have a doe down - not recovered - do you pass on the big fat doe stabding with an oppporuntity to fuill your swcond tag .

I can not believe the majority of hunters would pass on the second doe!! NO WAY WITH ANYONE I KNOW!

A PERFECT HEART SHOT AND THAT DOE WAS DOWN WITHIN A FEW YARDS AND POSSIBLY WITHIN SITE AND THEN GET DOWN AND LOOK FOR THE OTHER ONE !

WHY PASS A PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO GET BOTH DOWN

31-Mar-16
I also have never got all of them right...I missed #4 as well but that's ok...I understand both opinions 9n that one.

I truly enjoy these BTC's...not only fun but educational too...Thanks for taking the time to put these together Pat!

31-Mar-16
I gotta cry FOUL on the last question. If the arrow passes through ribs on the left side, then it MUST hit lungs, whether you "find" the hole in the lungs or not.

Thanks for the fun (while it lasted)!

31-Mar-16
^^^ Anatomy lesson required

You can shoot a broadside deer through the heart and not touch EITHER lung, but pass through ribs on both sides. You can also shoot a deer through the guts or liver, passing through ribs on both sides and not touch either lung.

31-Mar-16
Always enjoy the btc thanks again Pat!

31-Mar-16
Thanks for the challenge its fun.

01-Apr-16
another fun blood trail challenge... I understand and respect the opinions on the 2nd doe... but I still would have taken her in CT... not in MA or NY due to tag restrictions. I did whiff on the direction of the blood spatter though... oh well... fun nonetheless... thanks Pat.

01-Apr-16
Good job Pat ! My lawfirm ( Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe ) will be in touch !

01-Apr-16

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Well, I disagree with the last question. with an exit through the arm pit and then through the far leg, it's impossible not to hit the left lung. There may not have been much blood in the cavity, but if the necropsy was thorough, you'd see damage. Any answer that does not include both lungs is wrong. Therefore the "most correct" answer is Double Lung. Unless you shoot straight down at a deer facing directly away, just about any arrow that hits the heart gets the far lung.

Yeah, and I got a 0 for shooting a second deer without following up on the first. My bad.

01-Apr-16
I thought Ct and Ca was the same place?

01-Apr-16
After watching a half an episode of Chasin Tail I'm not surprised one of the stars thinks Pat got both lungs on that shot. :-)

06-Apr-16
i would've shot somewhere between b and d. b obviously got the job done though. can't argue with results. i took a 0 on that one.

13-Apr-16
I choose A.. would kill that deer 99.9% of the time within 75yrds considering the camera angle as quartering away, gives u some room for error, and would have pass through considering the opposite leg on angle. You can clearly see back end of rib cage maybe T-10-8? which is liver,spleen and lung vitals destroyed. B is just a gamble yes you could hit the button but too much could go wrong and disagree wholeheartedly. D just too sharp an angle on picture you maybe get one lung.

Questone 4 if you have a tag, i'd drill that other deer all day long, seeing as you should have heard the first one crash after that shot.

• Sitka Gear