cnelk 24-Mar-16
kota-man 24-Mar-16
Glunt@work 24-Mar-16
njbuck 24-Mar-16
SDHNTR(home) 24-Mar-16
KJC 24-Mar-16
weekender21 24-Mar-16
23-Mar-16
I'm hearing peeps are hearing comments now it may not be needed. So is it required or not?

23-Mar-16
From the meetings this week, here's how I understand it: If you were born after 1986, you need the course. If you are hunting an archery only area, you need the course regardless of age. If you are hunting a general season with bow and were born before Jan 1, 1986, you don't need the course.

AK residents, correct me if I'm wrong. That's all I got Chris...

23-Mar-16
Thanks Cory!

24-Mar-16
Sweet. Give it time and rumors will be confirmed. It finally pays to be getting older :-)

24-Mar-16
Also Anyone wishing to bow hunt bears over bait in units 7, 14-16 are also required to have an IBEP card.

24-Mar-16
I took the IBEP course in WA state a few weeks ago, I'm good either way!

24-Mar-16
I don't understand the hesitation around this course... It's one day of your life and you are set for the rest of your life in any state. Just bite the bullet and take the course.

That said, I haven't heard the new talk about loopholes where it isn't needed. Last I heard you will need it to bow hunt up here period. That said, I've had my card for almost a decade now so I haven't paid attention to these rulings.

24-Mar-16
Tembry...The "hesitation" is the field day. They aren't offered all that often or in every State. The on-line course is a piece of cake, but I hate to think I have to get on an airplane to find a field day. ESPECIALLY when I've already hunted AK a handful of times and can go hunt with a rifle without the course. Just doesn't make sense and maybe that's why it is changing. With that said, if there is a field day within driving distance of me this summer, I will make the "Day" of it as I've done the on-line course. (the on-line course expires in a year without the field day)

24-Mar-16
Anyone have a link to the online course/list of field day location and dates?

24-Mar-16
I can understand the hesitation and frustration. They should have some way that hunters could shoot at a local archery shop or range to qualify for the field day.

And if not, field days should be held regardless of low attendance. I can't imagine making the commitment of time and money to travel to a different state to complete a field day and then having it cancelled.

Now, I'm still a little irked about the "Hunter's Safety" that I endured.

If these requirements are mandated, they should be readily accessible and worthwhile, not simply another hoop to jump through.

24-Mar-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

cnelk's Link
Kota-Man

Here ya go - some places in South Dakota.

see link also

24-Mar-16
Thanks cnelk, but like I said, not really convenient to drive to another State for a basic field day. At least someone used some common sense in proposing the new rules. THANK YOU JACK FROST.

My point EXACTLY orionsbrother.

24-Mar-16
I oppose mandatory bowhunter ed. There are thousands of other normal activities that are far more dangerous. A society where we have to take a course before we can operate a chainsaw, ski, mountain bike, snowmobile, ride a horse, go swimming, etc, etc, etc isn't very appealing.

I have no issue with promoting bowhunter ed, encouraging it and supporting it. Some knowledge ahead of time is a good idea just like it would be with any of the activities I listed. I just oppose making it mandatory. We are already regulated more than needed in many parts of our lives.

24-Mar-16
Does anyone know if the Bowhunters ed class which is given in NJ is acceptable for Alaska?

24-Mar-16
Jack Frost is the man! Nice to see some common sense here.

24-Mar-16
Njbuck, it is but your card needs to have IBEF printed on it. If you have an older card you can call F&G and they will issue you a new one with the proper format.

24-Mar-16
I certainly understand the frustration with this course. I've been trying to get mine done for a few years. Eventually, I was in the right place at the right time on business. Relying on luck isn't the best scenario.This course might eventually catch on and be offered in more areas but for now, it's a pain. Now that I have my card I'm trying to become an instructor so I can make it easier for others to get the training.....also very difficult if your state doesn't have an official program.

• Sitka Gear