T Mac 29-Mar-16
TSI 29-Mar-16
TSI 29-Mar-16
kellyharris 29-Mar-16
Shug 29-Mar-16
T Mac 29-Mar-16
TSI 29-Mar-16
23-Mar-16
Going to be doing a bear bait sight for my first time. I plan on using dog food as the main staple of bait. My biggest question is when the Bears start hitting the site how often can I be expecting to refill my barrel with dog food. Bait site is about 30 miles from the house so I'm trying to gauge my time appropriately to limit driving as much as possible but still run a consistent site.

24-Mar-16

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

If you look real close, you can see the only hole I have in my barrels.

My baits are 3-6 hours away but I fill them one time along with ample bait on the ground, return several weeks later and hunt. The bears are very much relaxed and the reduced human pressure coming and going helps. Also it's not in my budget to spend the gas money required to rebait every few days.

It may work for you.

24-Mar-16
At our baits over the last 10 years we have used holes from 6 inches down to 2 inches. Always have used dog food. Always covered in fake maple syrup. We have also used vanilla/anise scent hanging rags. Also always done honey and chocolate burns. Depending on the number of bears coming and how hungry they are, bait has lasted anywhere from 2 weeks to as little as 1 day. Average was 3 to 4 days.

24-Mar-16
Depends on the hole size in your bait barrel and how much dog food you are putting in there. An 1 1/2" or 2" hole and your bait will last 4-5 days. A trick to keep them interested is a couple sticks in the barrel that roll around and the bear thinks there's more in there to eat and will come back often rather than move on. Use something to clump up your bait so it doesn't pour or run out as easily. A couple big jars of peanut butter will work or jam also.

25-Mar-16
Also depends on the number of bears on the bait. My baits with the most bears last anywhere from 7-10 days at peak feeding time....that's roughly 400 pounds of donuts in a 55 gallon drum...also are you complaining about driving 30 miles to bait... lol

25-Mar-16

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I use one small hole also with dog food and powder sugar . Last 3/4 days went the bait is rocking. I like to bait 2-3 times a week. 75 miles one way. Come on spring ! Hunt

27-Mar-16
Thanks for the advice everyone, here's hoping that it's a good year!

27-Mar-16
I will likely be running two bait areas this spring. One is not even accessible by road and instead a 20 minute flight to get to. The other is a 5-6 hour drive. Still not sure about the long drive site, but its my only option to target brown bears without relying on getting a lift from a pilot to head out and hunt.

Only in Alaska is a 12 hour roundtrip drive considered no big deal for weekend hunts. LOL

27-Mar-16

27-Mar-16
Dave.....are you saying you have one site where they eat 2000# in a day?....lol

27-Mar-16
The most expensive I'd think.

27-Mar-16
I Have several baits that use 2000 or more lbs per day.no exaggeration either that weighed bait.

27-Mar-16

27-Mar-16

Call me crazy but I do this... And I shoot bears.

27-Mar-16

27-Mar-16
TSI...let me be the first to say you exaggerated

27-Mar-16
Nick you're crazy

27-Mar-16
Buds, I'm gonna go out on a limb and do it again this spring.

Maybe I'll get lucky and shoot one. Lol

Or three/five

28-Mar-16
In Maine where I bait, there are lots of others baiting. So I have to keep up a fairly good amount of food, or they go to else where to eat. But, I load up once every 7-9 days and killed bears. Usually bring 30 gallons of donuts, A bag of COB, molasses, Syrups, seeds, and anything else I can get my hands on.

I bought 1500 lbs of Charleston chew filling this year. It came in 4 blocks.... I recommend never trying that...

28-Mar-16
I don't know about the math but the bait in TSIs operation is like nothing I have ever seen and ia have hunted 10 different operations and over 27 hunts. It is extreme and they have specialize equipment just to store it around, move it around, dig it out, etc. It's beyond crazy.

28-Mar-16

28-Mar-16

28-Mar-16
Right...

28-Mar-16

28-Mar-16

28-Mar-16
Oh boy Shug you woke the bear police up from an early hibernation.

28-Mar-16

28-Mar-16
That's for sure. Once the Bear police is on you its over. It would take me all season to pack in that much bait. Each to there own. Hunt

28-Mar-16
Tough audience!;-)

28-Mar-16
What did I miss?

TSI....think about what you're saying...even the best baits ones with 15/25 bears on average ( some have more) on them don't have all the bears come each day as I'm sure you know...but according to your math and these are just assumptions. ..2000 bears eating pound a day....1000 bears eating 2 pounds a day...500 eating 4 pounds...250 for 8 pounds...125 eating 16 pounds now where getting somewhere. ..and so on and so on.....

Good luck all Dunkin Donuts is closing time to go dumpster diving....night

28-Mar-16
Listen no need to be pin heads.I deleted the post because it went to silly mode.you two called me a liar and i provided proof.enough it seems you have never seen a truely great bait.carry on.theres no outrageous claims rattling as matter of fact id say your the outrageous fool.the bait is real and the story absolutely true.call me a liar provide some proof.enjoy your wack session.bunch of children.

28-Mar-16
You two want to call someone a liar put yourmoney where your mout h is.you come and if i can show you a bait that takes min 1500lbs in one night you pay double my rate if im wrong trips on me.i pick the dates.

28-Mar-16
You two want to call someone a liar put yourmoney where your mout h is.you come and if i can show you a bait that takes min 1500lbs in one night you pay double my rate if im wrong trips on me.i pick the dates.

28-Mar-16
I realise that some never grew up but theres no need to call guys liars on these threads just because you have never seen a high calibre bait doesnt make it not so.Rattling it seems your still too young to be respectful and shug sorry you feel the need to be five again.Take me up on the offer but bring cash!!!

28-Mar-16
1500lbs in one night, there is no way, maybe another outfitter is stealing your bait!

28-Mar-16
Carcus u going to be five too.who are you guys to be such experts.you must related to rattling.listen when you two grow up and want to see a mega bait come see me.

29-Mar-16
Shugs not willing to dig out the cash to bsck up his silly post so i suggest before you jump on be willing to back it up.thread is clearly off the rails.happy hunting.

29-Mar-16
TSI....If I was going to pay to go bear hunting New Brunswick wouldn't be the place...I'd go west where the truly big bears are...all have a safe successful season

29-Mar-16
I heard that theres 400lbers behind every tree.lol

29-Mar-16
......and 90% of them tape 7 feet. even the one's that weigh 250 and score 18 1/4"

29-Mar-16
Rough crowd this morning, you guys all have a good bear season.

29-Mar-16
Maybe josh is just another 5yr old foolish child.If it wwere being stolen the theif would be trespassing on privated gated property nearly a mile inside.Seems its a Manitoba look at me day,Are you feeling left out Josh?What purpose did your comment intend to do?Josh i have never been involved with that person outside dialogue.thankyou for your fellow sponsor jab.

29-Mar-16
The west vs east whos got bigger bears arguement should be played out in your advertisments not takeing shots at other sponsors.play nice.

29-Mar-16
i don't even know what you said anyways dave cause you always delete your comments, but at #2000 a day at a bait? come on, most outfitters bait all bears 5 weeks or so before hunters arrive, there's no way ya can afford that, better start jackin up your prices if that's what ya go through at your bait sites. How much bait do you order for a spring hunt if you wiegh it that is? and what's the latest on the lloyd gates trial?

29-Mar-16
Damm.....I was hoping it was over....well at least he stopped pm-ing me

29-Mar-16
Realy josh, i cant afford to bait that much!Josh i have 10 000 square ft of warehouse full from floor to roof.that one extrodinary bait is baited with an 85 hpr tractor at least a bag a day when they are feeding well.an aveage bait gets one to two barrels full plus other bait every couple days.I think this hang up on my baits and how much i spend is my buisness.I dont ration bait.I dont care howmuch bait costs.My objective is the best possible experience for the hunter at a reasonable price with best result.I never started outfitting to make money,it eventually became a cost recovery hobby/job.But originally it was just for fun.If you must know yes i can afford to use that much bait!

29-Mar-16
Realy josh, i cant afford to bait that much!Josh i have 10 000 square ft of warehouse full from floor to roof.that one extrodinary bait is baited with an 85 hpr tractor at least a bag a day when they are feeding well.an aveage bait gets one to two barrels full plus other bait every couple days.I think this hang up on my baits and how much i spend is my buisness.I dont ration bait.I dont care howmuch bait costs.My objective is the best possible experience for the hunter at a reasonable price with best result.I never started outfitting to make money,it eventually became a cost recovery hobby/job.But originally it was just for fun.If you must know yes i can afford to use that much bait!

29-Mar-16

TSI's embedded Photo
TSI's embedded Photo

29-Mar-16

29-Mar-16
Sorry i lied,its 8500sq ft.before someone gets out their ruler.:-)

29-Mar-16

29-Mar-16
I think you guys need to worry more about your own baiting than someone elses.Your acting like spoiled children.

29-Mar-16
only thing spoiled is all those bears ya feedin. there in for a good treat this spring.

29-Mar-16
Play safe everyone were all in this for fun.

29-Mar-16
I wasnt kidding.but this is a family site dude!

29-Mar-16
Rattling that private message contains language not intended for family sites .If you feel the need to post private love letters do so elsewhere.take it down theres kids reading on here.

29-Mar-16
Rattling that private message contains language not intended for family sites .If you feel the need to post private love letters do so elsewhere.take it down theres kids reading on here.

29-Mar-16
I have been the receiving end of those threatening pm's many times. Why he is even allowed to be a sponsor is a mystery! Oh right the almighty dollar....never mind carry on! I believe his partner has been banned from guiding or hunting. Bou or TSI do you care to elaborate?

29-Mar-16
Air Canada has a seat sale on

29-Mar-16
Enough guys its clear your wanting me tossed i get it.tmac dont come on here telling lies we dont have partners nor anyone associated with us banned from anything.this is just another pile on murder scene.i am surprised the thread isnt deleted.

29-Mar-16

29-Mar-16

kellyharris's embedded Photo
LMAO!!!!!

29-Mar-16
I wish we could.i dont understand the motive of the few posting silly attacks.ive asked for a ruleing on the thread.

29-Mar-16
I didn't attack....I just pointed out common sense. ...

Nasty PM in....3 -2- 1

29-Mar-16
I already made my point shug.common sense isnt really common!

29-Mar-16
Well I knew the nasty PM would come and sure enough without fail TSI did not disappoint. Well done Dave Cole you should be proud! Now Dave why don't you tell us why in a New Brunswick court of law you referred to the accused as "your business partner." Who's lieing Dave? Truth hurts in your web of lies is tough to keep track of!

29-Mar-16
T mac are you retarded.First i never sent you a nasty pm.Second ive not been in any court period.why are you makeing outlandish things up.your the one that needs tossed.This garbage needs to stop.I know you are associated with someone not here anymore and i am sure thats your source of false info.Stop telling lies Tmac.

29-Mar-16
Tmac what exactly are you trying to do by attacking us with made up and false information.whats your objective?Not that im obligated to disclose anything to you but the allegations you made are very wrong.We do not have ANY partners.Nor have i been in any court other than as an observer in a dnr trial against a person charged for guideing unlicensed.;-)

29-Mar-16

29-Mar-16
Kelly....you found my donut supply..

29-Mar-16
That's the truck bringing 2000 lbs a day to the bait site I bet!

29-Mar-16
Its spelled SITE..lol ive always wanted to correct someone else.;-)

• Sitka Gear