writer 08-Apr-16
drycreek 08-Apr-16
Two Feathers 01-May-16
Greg Kush 02-May-16
147Hitman 02-May-16
DL 02-May-16
recurve40 04-May-16
29-Mar-16
OK folks, what is up with all the new shows I am seeing with people hiding behind turkey decoys and/or fans to use as camouflage? Seriously? Are they that dumb or am I missing something? Sorry if you do this and this offends you but it goes contrary to any and all tried and true survival senses. Anyone else notice this lately? I have seen it done with those lifelike fold-out elk decoys too.

29-Mar-16
I understand...

I've done it. I am planning on doing it again next week while bowhunting in Kansas. At least during that week, there are no shotguns.

I try to only do it in wide open fields. So that another hunter can clearly see that I not a real turkey.

But while doing it, I often think "this is really dangerous. I hope there are no shotgunners around"

29-Mar-16
You, sir, trust others far more than I.....

29-Mar-16
I won't be using that tactic.

29-Mar-16
Wide open fields I see little safety issue. Most of all of my hunting is done in the wide open, far from timber and on private ground. Not saying it wouldn't be possible to get hurt but it would be pretty difficult for someone to mistake my fat butt crawling with a turkey tail for a real bird. It has been years since I have gun hunted birds and if I was every to pick up a gun again to hunt them I'd probably do it this way. Bow hunting them this way would be a real challenge and thrill too.

Now, narrow fields with timber within gun shot range, or in timber ... no way.

29-Mar-16
terrible, terrible tactic... it is not what turkey hunting is all about. Why don't they just go ahead and shoot them off the roost?????

29-Mar-16
... and not legal in some places.

29-Mar-16
Best used on Posted Private Land away from its perimeter. On public land, it is most certainly a Death Wish. DANNY

29-Mar-16
During an archery only season, I see no issue but one always needs to be aware of their surroundings and other hunters, the best one can. Paul

29-Mar-16
How is it like shooting one off of the roost? You are using the tail decoy to engage what is typically an aggressive bird. In most of the videos that I have seen he is charging to the decoy for a fight. It is an in your face shot at a matter of steps. I haven't tried this new "reaping" thing, but it looks like an intense hunt.

I don't see how this is like shooting one off of a limb.

29-Mar-16
Sorry, I miss read it ... you said why not shoot them off the roost, not that it is like shooting them off of the roost. My bad.

But still I don't see anything wrong with it. Engaging an aggressive bird at mere feet away would be a heck of a rush and hunt, in my opinion.

29-Mar-16
I would do it on private land. But after a road hunter (dirt road) was aiming at my HEN decoy which would have shot ME, I don't even use a decoy on public land. I yelled DON"T SHOOT ME stood up. I then asked him if that was the way he was teaching his teenage boy (in the passenger seat) how to kill someone. Then I asked him how the hens taste and he sped away. Actually I rarely hunt public land any more. I rather spend my time knocking on doors that getting shot.

29-Mar-16
Not sure I see how it is a terrible, terrible idea. Turkey hunting is figuring out where the birds are then either getting in their way and pass shooting them or placing out decoys and/or using calls to attempt to persuade them to come close enough for a shot. Calling and placing decoys simple plays on their natural urges to flock, fight, or mate. Hiding behind a fan simply plays toward he fight urge same as using a strutter decoy, does it not. Albeit there is a different amount of hunter participation AND a different safety level to be thought about, but as already has been brought out, the use of any decoys or calls places us in some danger to begin with as some "hunters" do not do a great job to identifying their targets before shooting.

29-Mar-16
Terrible, terrible idea because it can be dangerous, illegal in places, and I personally do not find it sporting at all... but this comes from an "old school" turkey hunter that believes calling alone is the only way to properly hunt turkeys; no blinds, no decoys, no creeping.

Turkey decoys were not legal in Alabama for a long, long time and you had to learn to call them in. As long as a tactic is legal, I have no problem with hunters using them, I just personally find the "creeping" thing distasteful.

29-Mar-16
Why can't we embrace it as another style of hunting, one that some may choose to utilize, while others prefer to sit against a tree with a box call? What may seem foreign to some in one part of the country may be the norm in other parts. Hunting from a tripod located at 20 yards from a deer feeder in south Texas or hunting from a tree stand over a small food plot planted just for the deer. Isn't this similar to the decoys that have been used on antelope for years out on the open prairie? I say if it works, go for it, as long as it's legal in your state.

29-Mar-16
I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't questioning the ethics of it all, but rather the risk of being shot.

29-Mar-16
"... I personally do not find it sporting at all."

That's curious coming from someone who evidently doesn't have a problem shooting game out of a waterhole blind in an area where they HAVE to come to water, and who's success confirms that it is virtually a sure thing.

ALL hunting, especially bowhunting, is about exploiting a particular weakness of the game being hunted. So you think hunting from a blind without calls or decoys would be unsporting? Is it a combination of tactics? Of course you're entitled to your opinion no matter how absurd it is.

29-Mar-16
"during that week, ther are no shotguns" ....where do all the shotguns go that week?

29-Mar-16
All of you blue eyed people are lesser than us brown eyed people.

29-Mar-16
Imagine doing it in a state like South Dakota that allows people to shoot turkeys with centerfire RIFLES. I'd love to try the heads up but my hunting is done on public land and I'd like to return to my family at night.

29-Mar-16
Never done it. Would like to try it once. Bet it is exhilarating.

Bet the injuns did it.

I won't comment on whether it is sporting or not until I have tried it.

Want something that isn't sporting?- hiding in a hub style blind/tent and shooting turkeys out of it.

29-Mar-16
I'm sure it's effective and I personally don't have anything against it from an ethical perspective but...

You're mistaken if you don't think it greatly increases your chance of getting shot. I'd be far less worried about a shot gunner than someone with a rife. Just because shooting turkeys with a rifle isn't legal in most states doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Even in an open field you could be mistaken for a real bird at several hundred yards from the right angle.

I'm not saying I wouldn't try it but the only person I'd blame if I got shot would be me!

29-Mar-16
Oh the old "it isn't sporting" argument ... nice Candor.

Hunting from hub blinds for turkeys is not sporting ... LOL.

So is baiting a deer to a dirt lane and shooting it with a 300 win mag at 250 yards "sporting"?

Is shooting African game from a hut blind over a water hole sporting?

Is hunting with a compound bow out of a tree stand sporting?

If we are going define what is "sporting" vs what isn't, then let's just say that we are all guilty of not being sporting hunters ... unless you are hunting in a loin cloth with a spear and stalking up on your game.

"Not Sporting" ... what a joke. It is no wonder we as hunters canalize our own good.

Hunt your way ... I will hunt mine ...

29-Mar-16
I don't think my opinion is absurd. It's only a personal preference guys. I prefer to turkey hunt the way I learned to back in the day. In the late 70's there were no commercial pop-up blinds and turkey decoys were not legal in my home state. There were no videos and the old timers were not very forthcoming with information unless they took you under their wing so to speak. We self-taught ourselves via trial & error, boots on the ground, & general woodsmanship.

I just prefer the challenge of calling birds in, that's all. I'm not bashing others. If you want to use blinds & decoys go for it. While I'm sure this "creeping" thing is exciting and makes good video, I personally have no desire to do it.

29-Mar-16
All the walk-behind decoys (turkey, pronghorn, elk rear, etc, are Darwinian tools to cull our numbers. "I only use on private property or during bow season." Hmmm, you have more faith in trespassers and poachers than me.

29-Mar-16

Dyjack's Link
Might be worth trying on private land someday. I first saw someone do it in this video. He's dressed like an Amish guy wearing a mounted bird on his face.

29-Mar-16
"you have more faith in trespassers and poachers than me."

Better stay home then. Once I was laying in a picked corn field waiting for geese that had been feeding there without any decoys out, when two yahoos started shooting at me with their .22s, fortunately at long distance. When I got up to confront them they said they couldn't tell I was a person. In fact they couldn't tell what I was. I guess that's all the excuse they needed to start firing away.

While safety is always a concern, hunting behind a decoy on private property, and/or during an archery only season is relatively safe. As safe as, for instance, hunting during archery seasons in camo, while ML and other rifle seasons are in progress. Something we ALL do in Colorado.

29-Mar-16
Heck, you not only can fool another hunter, you can fool a coyote. Just realize the more you look like the animal you're trying to kill, the more you might be mistaken for one by another hunter.

29-Mar-16
Ghostbird,

Are you shotgunning turkeys?

29-Mar-16
To many jerks around here, already been shot at while calling. I also don't have wide open spaces.

29-Mar-16

"during that week, ther are no shotguns" ....where do all the shotguns go that week?

Archery season....

29-Mar-16
Oh, I agree. It is definitely more dangerous. But I have evaluated the risks and they are risks that I am personally willing to take. I also take precautions to get the risks manageable for me.

I remember when turkey hunting first became popular. Folks were very concerned about getting shot. There were all kinds of "rules": sit with your back to a big tree; don't move; don't wear any blue, red or white; if you see another hunter, call out; etc.

Those are all still probably good rules. But we are all adults. We can chose to follow them all or not...

29-Mar-16
Could not do that in PA. Certainly not on public land but even on private would be too dangerous. Stalking in on a bird while hiding behind the decoy would technically be illegal here.

29-Mar-16
Google Beau Arndt, Kansas. Its not the shot guns that I would be worried about.......

29-Mar-16
I do not question the ethics. I only question the sensibility of those doing it on a pure survival basis. I agree with Treewalker. A Darwinian tool for sure. Do some of you not go to hunter safety courses. Mine taught us not to even wear blue or red while hunting turkeys and never where white while hunting whitetails, let alone putting a turkey fan over your face. lol. To each his own I suppose, but when I hear of someone being shot because they were holed up behind a turkey fan, I do not think I would totally blame the shooter. Obviously it is the shooters fault for not positively Identifying their target but, you know how young'ins are.....

29-Mar-16
The most dangerous thing most of you will ever do is get behind the wheel of your car and get on the streets. Y'all giving that up too ?

29-Mar-16
Those that think this is always too dangerous a tactic are looking at it from their own very narrow experiences and circumstances. Indeed, in some locations and during mixed weapons seasons on public land, it could be recklessly dangerous. But in many situations, like in the opening post with a full film crew, or on private property where no one else is allowed, or during archery only seasons, it just isn't. If you're worried about poachers and trespassers, do you also stay home from fear of being mugged, or assaulted on the street? NOTHING anyone does is absolutely safe. Assessing risk in everything, every day is common sense.

29-Mar-16
"not sporting" says a guy that will sit at the only water the animals have available to them, inside a hut! LMAO

I don't have an issue whatsoever with hunting water, just the thought that a comment like "not sporting" would come from the same person hunting huts over water!!!

29-Mar-16
My buddies and I have used the heads up decoy the last 2 years. It can be super effective the first couple weeks of the season. It's definitely tougher to draw your bow and try to get a shot at a bird while sitting behind a small decoy vs sitting in a big ass pop up blind if that's in question!lol We've had a good number of birds come running to it all pissed off but have probably only killed half or less of em. As far as being dangerous I've never worried about it.

29-Mar-16
"At least once a week there are no shotguns". You forgot about the local rednecks that like to target practice with their coyote rifles on turkeys. Stay safe.

29-Mar-16
If you're hunting backyard or private birds all sorts of things are possible...Its all fun and games until they're shot at! Even with the bow...

29-Mar-16
Whenever I hear one hunter decrying another hunter's legal, possibly exciting method as "unsporting", even though the denigrator has never tried it, it makes me want to....

Not what turkey hunting is about? Sure. How's that spear working out for you? Reminds me of fly fishermen who only cast a dry fly at an actively feeding fish, while putting down everyone who doesn't do it that way. "Might as well snag them.."

I understand the safety concern in some places, I guess. But it must be tough walking everywhere, because driving is the most dangerous part of hunting. I get that namby-pamby scaredy-cat nonsense about sometimes using a deer or elk hat too, from people who've never tried it and think I walk around on all fours in a deerskin during gun season, or something. Or that it, too is unsporting. Life is scary. Boo!

29-Mar-16
Using a Heads Up Decoy and hunting this style is my preferred method of hunting gobblers. Using common sense makes this no more dangerous than any other means imo.

I wouldn't use it in states that can rifle hunt, and I wouldn't crawl through thick cover on public land with the decoy in front of me.

You are usually in the open and see people approaching so you can signal them or just lower the decoy so they can't see it.

DSD and other decoys are extremely realistic these days. Someone could just as easily take a shot at one of these as they would a person using a decoy like the HUD.

Use your brain and you will be fine.

Matt

29-Mar-16
I have not attempted it yet but will very soon. Where I hunt, no one is allowed on the property and I have hunted it for close to 50 years and only once have I caught someone sneaking on. I guess I will take my chances. Shawn

29-Mar-16
Never underestimate the ability of a turkey hunter to make a stupid decision.

I say that because I know of a guy who shot another Hunter in the head and shoulder while he was wearing a hunter ORANGE hat. 40yd shot through the woods and he said the sunshine through the the trees made it look like a red turkey head, if you can believe it.

Now it didn't help that the other guy was stalking in on the gobbler that was answering this guy, but you get my drift. Wearing orange in turkey season still doesn't keep you safe.

29-Mar-16

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Here we go with all of the "one time I was...." stories, many of which aren't true.

Biggest danger I've found is getting run over by a danged turkey, or getting t-boned on the highway by someone texting on a cell phone.

I think it's a helluva rush to use fans, though I've mostly done it by just getting out enough to be seen...usually don't have to do much more than that. I've called a few train car loads of birds in the past 36 seasons. Now I'm more interested in seeing them come in and whip up on a decoy.

They used to say never use a tom or jake decoy, too, now it's common practice.

When we ran this photo in the newspaper some guy called my boss, ranting and raving because these people weren't wearing orange and that somebody might drive down the road, see the turkeys on their backs and take a shot at them. (Oops, there's my 'one time...' story...but mine's true.) :-)

It's amazing what people can find to worry about. A little common sense goes a long ways.

29-Mar-16
Writer, that picture represents turkey hunting at it finest!

29-Mar-16
I have a buddy from Georgia that was fanning turkeys 25 years ago he showed it to me. I thought we had a pretty good secret for a while !!

As far as the dangerous part if its so dangerous where are all the news stories of all the guys getting shot. Its probably safer than hiding in the woods in camo calling at least most people can see that fat guy crawling along behind that little decoy its just the poor tom that is too blinded by rage to see an otherwise plain threat the fat guy golding the decoy.

29-Mar-16
Kind of like calling a bull elk with aggressive calls, snot blowing, charging in. I plan on trying reaping this year myself, good thing those turkey don't get as big as elk someone could get hurt!

29-Mar-16
JohnB...one of our first fannings was on burned pasture, three of us laying on the bald black, and the shooter is 6' 6". Bird made it to eight feet and still turned and gave us the fatal "what was that" look at about 30 yards.

I have no doubt he would have hit the fan had the big guy not come to his knees.

(Sorry...another "...one time..." but that one is true, too.

30-Mar-16
Would spreading wheat seed in a field for bait be a weak tactic or a strong one?

30-Mar-16
This tactic has been popular for a couple seasons, have there been any "mistaken for game" incidents? Not sure I would feel comfortable doing it, but I don't use blinds, still shoot an old 2 3/4" 870, and I do a lot of things that limit my "success."

30-Mar-16
probably not a good tactic for public land. I know plenty of private land settings where you could do all of that you wanted with zero risk.

30-Mar-16
How can it be zero risk? Have you never seen a trespasser? It just seems good common sense has gone out the window lately. I read people comparing this to driving and the like. Well, when I drive, I try to do it as safely as possible. I do not hunt deer by putting antlers on my head either. Why would I want to hold a turkey fan in front of my face unless I want shot in the face by some idiot that fails to properly identify his target and my be trespassing. To me, it isn't worth it. I mean come on, it is a turkey, they are not that hard to kill without resorting to this unsafe tactic. But, again, to each his own. I just hate seeing people doing it thinking there is not a significant risk, because there is, whether people want to admit it or not.

30-Mar-16
Jaquamo X2! If it is legal then who cares if that is the method someone else chooses. The main thing is that someone is out there hunting and enjoying it!

30-Mar-16
I would be scared to use that tactic in my home state of Va cause it's legal to use rifles here on turkeys. You may end up with a .223 in your chest from a long ways off.

30-Mar-16
I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is here and why there are 60 posts on this topic? If it's legal and people want to do it then go for it! If you think it's unsporting or too risky where you hunt then don't do it. Why do we care so much what other people legally do? Jealousy?

30-Mar-16
Sorry guys, I slightly derailed this thread because I don't like this tactic said I find it not sporting and distasteful. Statements I stand behind. It is only a personal opinion, so don't get your panties in a wad.

Everyone should hunt the way they want. I just prefer the traditional method of calling in birds without blinds or decoys. It is all about the call and manipulating a wild bird to react. This tradition is more important to me than killing a turkey.

In response to comments and questions above:

Yes, I hunt turkeys with a shotgun. That is why you don't see my turkey photos in the Bowsite Meat Pole thread.

I have no problem with sitting an African waterhole with a bow, or one in America for deer & elk.

30-Mar-16
"not sporting and distasteful" Still LMAO!!!

30-Mar-16
"I just prefer the traditional method of calling in birds without blinds or decoys."... "This tradition is more important to me than killing a turkey."..."Yes, I hunt turkeys with a shotgun."

You are aware that native Americans used decoys of all types, including for turkeys? And they didn't use shotguns. So what "tradition" are you referring to? What you seem to really be saying is YOU didn't learn that way, so it must be "not sporting and distasteful." Who's "panties are in a wad?" Some of us just feel that your opinion is narrow minded and self serving, especially given your other choices.

30-Mar-16
@Brotsky

Well, to tell you the truth, I started this thread in the hopes that what I was seeing on these tv shows were isolated instances of ignorance and/or lack of any self preservation instincts.

After reading the comments, I see it is not isolated and seems to be a common practice among many. I find it very unsafe and because of that, I will not use this tactic no matter how well it may work. I am only saying (reiterating) this because you mentioned it. If others want to do it, more power to them, I really do not care, I was just curious.

And Jealousy? What? To hide behind a turkey fan is something to be jealous of?

Who knew?

Cheers

30-Mar-16
Dont look like the things people are trying to kill and you will live longer..JMO MikeC Bsafe..so we can do it again tomorrow

30-Mar-16
"And Jealousy? What? To hide behind a turkey fan is something to be jealous of?"

Not specifically directed at you JFP, but in general. If you think it unsafe, then just don't do it. I personally don't do it for the same reason. The thing you see in this thread though is that people seem to be questioning others for reasons why they do what they do. Isn't it obvious? Because they enjoy it and it works for them! That should be reason enough for anyone! Calling someone "ignorant or basically suicidal" for using a proven turkey tactic in a situation they feel is safe has to have some motivation somewhere?

30-Mar-16
Here in the NE, there is no such thing as private land anymore, during turkey season people go wherever they hear the birds. I wish I could try it and not have the risk of getting shot. Looks like a ton of fun and I bet the heart is pumping away as the bird runs on in.

30-Mar-16
My opinion is just that, my opinion. I don't care if you think my opinion is narrow minded and self-serving, I could say the same thing about your opinion. It's an opinion.

The tradition I speak of is "hunting turkeys by calling turkeys". If you can't call a gobbler in, he lives another day. Some of you will never understand. If you are over 50 years old and from a southern state you might.

GhostBird out......

30-Mar-16
GhostBird, I'm well over 50 and from Texas, and the first turkeys I killed were with a shotgun. Where I hunt, it was just too easy, dekes or no dekes. So, I started bowhunting only for the past several years. I don't get to go much, and would prefer to drag it out a little because I like it so much. I hunt from a pop-up and use Avian X dekes. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's not, but it's always legal and always fun.

30-Mar-16
I don't have any problem with this. Watched a video last week and couldn't believe how close they got. I'd try it, but I'm too damn old to crawling across a field on my hand and knee's.

30-Mar-16
"Some of you will never understand. If you are over 50 years old and from a southern state you might. "

Sounds like a Lipitor commercial.

I can't begin to get my brain around someone who shotguns turkeys coming on the Bowsite to criticize other people's tactics. If it were me, I'd put my opinions on bowhunting turkeys side by side with my trophy pictures of scattergunned turkeys...

31-Mar-16
tacklebox, I'm not sure about what you hunt, but around here, there is always something legal to hunt/shoot with shotgun. There are also a few folks who will shoot at a turkey or turkey-like object, if they see one.

31-Mar-16

snapcrackpop's embedded Photo
snapcrackpop's embedded Photo
Had great luck with it on public land. This one came in to 15 feet frim 200 yards.

31-Mar-16
Just so everyone is clear about my opening post: I was only questioning hiding directly behind dekes and fans. I was not questioning the safety of using dekes in general. Just the ones that hold them over their face. I only say this as it seems there may have been some misunderstanding on the overall topic here.

All good conversation nonetheless.

Thanks to everyone for participating.

31-Mar-16
Hiding behind a decoy is downright foolishness in this age of careless, ignorant hunters. Last fall on opening day of rifle season I thought better of it but did it anyway at first light - blew on a grunt call and immediately got shot at by some guys wife a half hour before legal shooting hours. Never again will I blow on a grunt call during a gun season. Darwin award awaits someone hiding behind turkey fan too.

31-Mar-16
Really?

All this about turkey hunting ethics? Where do you stand on using bait for bluegills and crappie?

I've have many second thoughts, concerns, as to the "be the decoy" tactics on game.... all of them about getting shot, certainly not about if it was ethical to use them to kill something with a sharp stick....

Having read the posts of some "world famous" turkey hunters... I wouldn't trust em as far as I could throw em.... some others.... antelope, deer, elk... I could see it in archery season and in remote areas. I'd certainly use a female deke though.... I know what just a glimpse of antlers and horns do to some....

Good grief.... people use SHOTGUNS on turkeys??? heheheheh....

31-Mar-16
a couple years ago there was a guy in Canada snow goose field hunting. He was in a layout blind in a field full of snow goose rags. Some fool shot a rifle from a nearby road at the "geese" and killed him.

People get shot doing all kind of simple and accepted tactics. We take all kinds of risks every day. The risk is obvious in this, just like riding a motorcycle.

I do not see this as a debate. Of course it is a risk. I would certainly try it to see what it is like. I would do so knowing that I was taking a risk.

Turkey hunting, to me, is primarily about deception.

Deer hunting (to me) is primarily about an ambush.

31-Mar-16
Can someone provide an example of a hunter being shot while working behind a turkey fan, Heads Up, Montana, Elk Mountain Slip, or a BeTheDecoy while hunting any game animal?

A high school friend shot and killed another of our schoolmates with a rifle (illegal)when he was out in a field picking up goose decoys. A former Special Ops sniper my hunting partner was guiding for elk tried to shoot a horse that a guy wearing orange was riding. He was stopped before he could get the shot lined up.

I guess we could conclude from that that goose hunting with decoys and riding horses while wearing blaze orange are dangerous and shouldn't be attempted. Never mind the dangers inherent with climbing into a treestand...

31-Mar-16
Double post

31-Mar-16

JFP's Link
Here is a link to a very interesting article with some true expert opinions on the topic if anyone is interested.

31-Mar-16
Lots of "what if" in that article.

What if somebody crosses the centerline and hits you head on when you're driving to your safe hunting spot?

I wouldn't consider any of those folks "true experts" on dynamic decoying unless they've done it extensively. Otherwise they're just speculative armchair quarterbacks.

Matt Palmquist is a "true expert" and he weighed in on this thread already.

31-Mar-16
Most of them are true experts on safety and that is what we are discussing. And there are far too many instances of strawman and Reductio ad absurdum fallacies in this discussion.

31-Mar-16
Seriously, "experts on safety"? They a simply have opinions on their perspective on "safety". I'll spare the analogies because there are too many to detail.

Again, how about some real-world examples?

Or should we shift the discussion to the dangers of hunting out of treestands, no matter how diligent and safety-minded the hunter is?

31-Mar-16
Do you wear a safety harness while hunting? I do. Many things in life are risky, that is why most people try to mitigate the risk by taking certain steps. Adults that wish to take part in this risky behaviour are definitely free to do so. I am just saddened that younger generations may see this on TV and think it is an appropriate way to hunt. Hopefully they were required to take a hunter safety course and will know better. But, if not, well, their choice I guess.

31-Mar-16
Of course the safety guys are gonna say its unsafe duh ! I had a safety instructor tell me that you should be completely covered in camo including your gun and stay put ! Or a brown or blued gun if moved could be mistaken as a bird Huh ! With some of the stuff they tell you actually nobody should ever be allowed to hunt for turkeys its just way to dangerous under any circumstances !

31-Mar-16
The threat of getting Lyme disease, or other tick-borne illness, while crawling with that fan or decoy is a helluva a lot higher than getting shot.

...and I still contend that at least half of the "...one time when I was," or "a buddy of mine was..." are bogus or greatly exaggerated.

TrapperKayak - that man's wife was pretty sharp if she recognized the sound of a grunt call. And why in the hell were you blowing on a grunt call a HALF HOUR BEFORE legal shooting time.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, BS meter going off...whoop, whooop, whoooooop!

31-Mar-16
Here in CO we have elk and deer bowhunters hunting and calling in full camo while our muzzleloading brethren are running around with 200 yard "rifles".

Wonder what the so-called "safety experts" would say about that?

I don't hunt out of treestands. Way too dangerous hanging and taking them down, which is when most injuries occur. Documented fact.

I feel much safer on the ground with my Heads Up decoy on the bow, behind an Elk Mountain slip, while wearing my elk and deer hat. When the timing is right, I won't hesitate to fan turkeys, either. My fan is in my turkey camp right now.

Statistics don't lie. Treestands kill and maim. This other stuff is all "what if".

01-Apr-16
Mentioned this thread to our local warden. They use decoys to nail guys shooting from the road. One thing he told me is that if one gets shot hiding behind a decoy, odds are the shooter will not be charged. With roadhunters, it is a great way to commit suicide up here.

01-Apr-16
"Yes, I hunt turkeys with a shotgun. That is why you don't see my turkey photos in the Bowsite Meat Pole thread."

^^^I was with you 100% until this post ^^^

Your THREAD on BOWsite with your rifle killed buck (and no warning) last year gave me the same feelings you had with folk using decoys.

I may be scarred for life...:)

01-Apr-16
So if they shoot a guy holding a decoy from the road they won't be charged now that really makes sense ! I guess this means they don't charge them for shooting their decoy from the road either !

01-Apr-16
Timb...just because you read something on Bowsite, doesn't mean it's true.

A great young man was shot, with a high-powered rifle, while hiding in goose decoys in Kansas several years ago.

His killer got several years in prison, among other penalties, even though the killer didn't see the young man there.

As mentioned earlier, research Beau Arndt.

01-Apr-16

writer's Link

01-Apr-16
As a professional safety guy, I seriously doubt the fan stalking technique can be made safe at all. One of our turkey clinic instructors here in MN was shot TWICE by another hunter even after he was on the ground cussing at the shooter(no fan involved). In another instance a local officer was shot by a tresspasser while he was only scouting, w/o camo before the hunt,and on his own property.

In yet one more instance a hunter shot his own son 8-10 years old just because he didn't stay put and was mistaken as a turkey by Dad while walking around. In all three the question is: Where the ___ was the beard? (the requirement for turkey hunting in MN).

These are real cases about as real as it gets. My hunting buddy was shot in CA about 30 years ago by someone firing a high powered rifle at his duck decoys.

Add poachers and people using high powered rifle (legal or not) in the turkey mix its really a bad idea to be prompting use of a fan for hunting when a lot of other methods are safer and just as effective.

Can you have a car accident getting to and from the hunt area, yes but you have protective measures like seatbelts, air bags and insurance system to cover your losses. No such thing for hunting and pretending to be game. Beside what the __ are the promoters teaching other hunters , OK to put yourself at unnecessary risk just to harvest a turkey?? Would you lay down in the road just waiting for a car to come by and hit you, play chicken???

Yeah being dumb about safety on purpose offends us safety guys..

01-Apr-16
So Tony, how do you feel about Pronghorn decoys in archery season?

There are stupid people everywhere, doing things that could kill you, they aren't going to keep me from hunting. I'm beginning to think some of y'all should just get in a plastic bubble and stay inside watching after school specials?

01-Apr-16
Tonybear, thanks for the input. As with anything, common sense plays a part. Dynamic decoying isn't something to be done just "anywhere". But hunting of any kind carries inherent risks because there are so many factors beyond our control.

A smart, safe hunter wouldn't think of hunting from a treestand. The dangers of putting it up and taking it down, falling even with a harness, trees falling, steps pulling out or breaking, feet slipping off frosty ladder steps. I was peppered with birdshot in a treestand once by a quail hunter.

01-Apr-16
I'm betting almost everyone on this thread who fears dynamic decoying hunts from a treestand. Treestands are proven cripplers and maimers. So why not an uproar over that incredibly dangerous style of hunting?

No matter what precautions a treestand hunter takes, there are a hundred ways to get hurt, crippled, or killed.

01-Apr-16
What are the percentages for people getting injured in treestand-related accidents?

It used to be one in three or four, in a hunting career. I've had five buddies I can think of with anywhere from big bruises to broken arms, broken legs, broken spines.

So, we're not supposed to hunt ducks, geese, deer, pronghorns, with decoys?

Sometimes me thinks safety-guys just want to show how much they know. The ones who have blown up at a photo, or something written, in the newspaper, by and large, don't have one-fourth the hunting experience I do, having written about it for 35 years. But they sure like to pick at little bitty scabs whenever they find them.

You know, with that logic, maybe we should ban all kinds of guns because somebody might use one, be an idiotic, and hurt someone.

Y'all stay inside...I'm going hunting. If you don't want to use fan decoys, don't...go ahead and cell chat while driving, smoke, drink and eat unhealthy diets.

01-Apr-16
@writer

I have been deer hunting about 35 years now and have yet to have any injuries due to treestand hunting. It is an invalid argument anyway. The issue with hunting with a fan over ones face has not been shown to be any more effective than other proven and much safer methods. By all means, hunt the way you want. You will just have a very hard time trying to convince anyone that it isn't unnecessarily dangerous. Most hunters do things to mitigate risks since they want to have a safe hobby, way of life, whatever. Fan-facing invites disaster and does the opposite of mitigating risk, it raises it. This cannot be logically refuted. So, it will all be fun and games until someone gets their face blasted off and then let the outrage begin.

01-Apr-16
I would likely be a little spooked hunting public land behind a decoy or areas with hardwoods and/or lots of brush. I hunt mostly private land or super remote public land in open country. I have never had a close encounter or have even seen another turkey hunter so have no fear of getting shot. I guess I live dangerously? It's obvious from the posts above that everyone seems to have their own opinions on this subject. If you believe it's dangerous or you don't think it is "ethical" good for you! As long as it is legal in your particular state it's obviously an option for those that choose to try it.

01-Apr-16

01-Apr-16
I am far from an expert Lou, but I'm glad I live in Kansas. All of the examples have been hunters shooting at movement and not identifying their target. It is pretty easy to tell it is a 200+ man behind a turkey fan when you see someone fanning.

In open country this method is more effective than any other method I have used. Yes, other methods work, but if you are willing to crawl and work on birds you will eventually get a shot.

You run the risk of getting shot anytime you are afield with other hunters. Yes, this method has more risk if you aren't smart about it yourself as I pointed out above.

Don't fan birds if you think you are at risk, but please quit insinuating that anyone that does is an idiot and going to get killed.

Hunt the way you want and be safe. Have fun this spring.

Matt

01-Apr-16
JFP. I never said everyone had accidents with treestands. I haven't either, and I've been deer hunting quite a bit longer than you. (I'm older than most rocks.)

...and you probably haven't hunted with fans enough to know what they can do to your success.

I've turkey hunted longer than you've deer hunted, and probably in more states. Doing anything that gets into the pecking order of toms is more productive, and dependable, then hen calls and decoys.

I do not fear hunting with them where I do, and it's my choice. My choice might well be different if I was hunting in other parts of the country.

01-Apr-16
I would say fanning in open country would carry the same risk as as driving a Brown VW Beetle in AK during bear season....

Plain and simple unjustified homicide

02-Apr-16
Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JAR59UiuE&feature=youtu.be

Would you call this safe?

02-Apr-16
I lost interest in the JFP link when the first "expert" said a 19 yr old Kansas kid was laying in a goose decoy when he was shot. If you can't even get your facts straight your credibility is shot.

02-Apr-16
It's been going on for awhile, wearing a Antelope head, Elk, hiding behind a turkey fan,or whatever...Be damned if i would, I'm not going to put my life or anyone else in danger...i don't care if your hunting in your living room, no game animal is worth it...

02-Apr-16
@zummy

So what is the problem with the statement from the expert about the 19 year old getting killed? That it says he was hiding in a goose decoy instead of the factual he was hiding amongst goose decoys?

02-Apr-16
That expert makes it sound like he was attempting to look like a goose. He was in a snow covered field in a layout blind with a snow cover on it. The expert is trying to use it to push his agenda when it is comparing apples to oranges.

02-Apr-16
So maybe we should start posting examples of people shot while wearing blaze orange and NOT using decoys?

The "I'm not going to put my life in danger" excuse is laughable from guys who wear camo, sit 10 yards behind a couple decoys and call.

02-Apr-16

Candor's embedded Photo
Candor's embedded Photo
I remember years ago the different articles in Outdoor Life and Field and Stream (this was pre-internet) about people getting shot turkey hunting... and the cautions about wearing a bandanna around your neck or white undershirt that might show above your camo shirt appearing like a turkey's head.

My daughter and I risked life and limb this morning walking the edge of a clear cut. I caught myself on some briers and popped a limb towards my head. Nearly broke my neck. Hate to think what would've happened if I had been carrying a decoy!

02-Apr-16
JFP -- check the photo credit for the link you posted of the turkey hunter shooting through a fan.

My photo.

Two toms came to that set-up, that's a re-creation, her dad killed one and she missed as it ran by at about 8 yards.

Very private property.

02-Apr-16
@writer

Hey, that is pretty cool. Nice picture.

02-Apr-16
I did the story for our newspaper, AP picked it up and it got a lot of play nationally. She was hunting with her dad, which was neat, and they shot a nice double right at fly-down. She had a misfire, cracked the bolt back to chamber another round and busted the bird.

Two days later, after the celebrity hunt, she went out and called in a bird for herself, and killed it.

02-Apr-16
I've been following this thread. It sounds like this technique has been going on a while in some circles. I have a question.

Has anyone heard of someone getting shot while doing this?

I fully understand there's always a first time for everything and it initially sounds like it may be dangerous but is there any proof that it is?

Not taking sides one way or another, just wondering.

02-Apr-16
I've asked the safety guys the same question and nobody seems able to produce evidence of someone getting shot.

Getting shot with almost every other method, sure. IMO it would be a lot easier for an idiot to discern a 200 lb guy crawling across an open field behind a fan than spotting a guy in camo hiding 10 yards behind a couple super-realistic decoys in the woods and calling.

02-Apr-16
I think the first shooting of someone behind a fan I heard about was Sept-Oct in 2014... It was only a matter of time.

I have been bowhunting for 40+ years so don't try to tell me I don't have any experience. Hunting from a tree stand can be plenty safe when using fall protection religiously, tied in from the time you leave the ground until you return.

As far as hunting while sitting on the ground with decoys out, your backside needs to be protected by a big tree, boulder, etc., warn anyone approaching with loud but deliberate voice w/o moving.

Behind a antelope decoy, ummm risky as well. I talked to a guy a season or two ago who got drilled by a speed goat while he was doing that. Didn't see it until it was on top of him. Good thing he had a hard decoy he used as protection. Showed me the scars on his palm and arm.

The point is you can be safe and effective on an enjoyable hunt w/o putting yourself and teaching others to themselves in a high risk position.

Not sue though how effective it would be to try and hunt out of a rolling bubble or Zorba ball-yeah my kid has been inside one.

03-Apr-16
"I heard about a guy..." Right. You're reaching now. There is no published record of this anywhere, that I can find. But plenty of documented instances of people being shot the way you hunt. Go figure.

04-Apr-16
Let's just agree that nobody on this post wants to be the subject of sneering darwin award/what we're they thinking conversations by liberals after getting shot behind a really good decoy.

04-Apr-16
Timbrhunter and writer, you will still be charged with shooting from a public right of way, but according to the warden, you did not mistake a human for a deer, you shot at a decoy, not a crime. This was tested in court up here where a guy was wounded during muzzleloader season. The wardens reenacted the scene and no charges were filed. It happened in our town. Wardens use both deer, coyote, and partridge decoys to catch roadhunters. The decoys are motorized so they move thei heads and tails. The only charge is shooting from a PRW with loss of license for 1-3 years. Thanks for the critical posts and I hope this clears it up.

04-Apr-16
There is a difference between finding a case about a "guy" publicly on the internet and in a publication you may have to pay for or a case still under investigation.

By the time someone is shot its already too late from a preventative standpoint which is what the safety community is all about, prevention not reactionary-geeze yah kinda, shoulda not thought about doin dat...

04-Apr-16
Timbrhunter and writer, I failed to mention that my views on safety are probably more stringent than most because I was the victim of a hunting accident 45 years ago. The shooters, two of them, ran up, realized I was not a buck and bolted, leaving my 6 year old daughter screaming for them to help. She ran and got help. Never found out who they were and they got away scot free. I hope they never hunted again. Both my daughter and me were wearing green with orange hats. Since then, during gun season, I always wear 2 articles of orange when stillhunting or tracking with my longbow or hang them over my head when hiding in a blowdown. I trust no one with a gun.

04-Apr-16
Tonybear, I would think a case from 2014 would already be settled. Seriously, dynamic decoying has been going on for years. This isnt something someone dreamed up last week. If you want to dis it, fine. But don't keep on with this "danger" narrative until you can provide some proof that it's any riskier than any other hunting method.

Surely the "safety community" (whatever that is, sounds like a bunch of moms who bring orange slices to soccer games) can find some statistics, considering there must be hundreds of dead hunters flopping around in fields behind fans, pronghorn decoys, Heads Up deer and elk decoys, and BeTheDecoy animal suits.

Meanwhile, hunters wearing camo and orange are being shot mistakenly while NOT dynamically decoying.

04-Apr-16
lawdy spelled it right

I hear what you are saying but I don't see how anyone can say they were unaware that a human was holding that fan or decoy when they shot them and if the Police go with that that is poor investigative work !!

I am sorry to here about your incident getting shot that sounds like my worst nightmare. The thing is I have done this fanning many times and only use it in a very narrow set of circumstances. However I have done the sit with your back to a tree wider than your shoulders and set decoy on an angle so you are not in direct line of fire but I have still had 4 seperate times that hunters have stalked up to my decoy to shoot it. One guy came directly across a field holding his gun at shoulder point and walking 200 yards I yelled at him but he didn't hear me I finally did what they said not to and stood up which thankfully got his attention. Last year I was bowhunting and had my decoy out in front of me at about 5 yards. I had 5 jakes in the decoys but was waiting for the tom. Suddenly there was a bang and I heard and felt myself being struck by something small. A hunter had snuck into the woods on the field edge 80 yards away and took a shot at the jakes and my decoys. I tried to run after him but he got away ! On the other hand not once have I been concerned while hunting behind my fan setup !

I did not post about these incidents because I didn't want to be another so called story teller but can a ssure you they are not made up.

04-Apr-16
When I was about 17 some clown peppered my back with bird shot while dove hunting. Apparently, he missed the lesson about letting low flying birds pass. I peppered him with obscenities and shook my fist at him while he left the field. I don't know how it is everywhere else, but in eastern NC opening day of dove season sees bean and corn fields absolutely filled with hunters, many of whom only hunt that one day. The bird shot hitting our old tin roof sounded like a light hail fall all day.

I tried to avoid the obvious idiots but it never kept me from dove hunting.

When it comes to other "hunters" posing a safety threat, maybe that's the best one can do, if they actually want to keep hunting.

04-Apr-16
September turkey season?

What state? and most people are smart enough to use a fan or jake decoy during a fall or winter season.

Lawdy, READ the link I posted. The guy got pretty serious jail time for shooting at a goose decoy, with a guy hiding in the spread.

It's a fact. It happened. Too bad it's not taken as seriously in your state. Too bad it wasn't taken more seriously in Kansas, even with his punishments.

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes of all time -

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet, because some of it is blatantly false" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm done arguing with people who use fiction for facts.

Have a good turkey season.

04-Apr-16
Roadhunters are easily fooled. One year, the night before the opening of rifle season, we stuck a board with two small reflectors on it in the woods on a corner of a logging road popular with night hunters. As you rounded the corner it looked like a pair of eyes in your headlights. We checked it after the weekend and it was blasted full of holes. I grew up on our family's blueberry barrens. Several thousand acres of barrens and woods with a lot of dusting roads, popular with hunters. My father used to take a 55 gallon barrel, set it on a stand way out in one of our barrens, cover it with a couple of deer hides, and attach an old stuffed deer head. When roadhunters shot at it it would sound like a gong. If they shot it in the head, sawdust blew out the ears. We would be burning the old burn bushes and watch the show. Some would actually shoot at it two or three times before they realized it was a fake. We never burned behind it. The wardens up here have seen some guys unload entire clips on robo-deer, including a guy who shot an entire quiver of arrows at it. That is why I hunt the big gated timberlands up here. Have not seen another hunter in over 9 years.

04-Apr-16
I agree with Jaquomo...essentially there's no safety issue until someone gets shot. Are any here old enough to remember the days of NWTF turkey hunting seminars where you were told to never carry a turkey out of the woods over your shoulder? With the wings flapping, tail moving, etc. you could be shot. I dare say thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of birds have been carried like this. I could be mistaken but to my knowledge nobody has been shot yet.

06-Apr-16
What's wrong with orange slices?? They have helped carry me through the last 5-6 miles in a marathon several times. Plus a great snack while on stand all day, walking the foothills and mountains looking for elk.

If I am to be dissed for being careful with kids, making sure they are hydrated, wear the helmet, mouth guard or other PPE and take them out of a game for signs of concussion so be it. Rather that then not being able to walk by the time they are 35 of not be able to finish high school or get a good job because of a brain injury.

I also have carried my birds out of the woods with a orange safety pack. Its plastic lined and keeps turkey blood and juices off of me while I pack out.

Too bad folks have a hard time believing the testimonials I have provided from my own experience, family members, friends, co-workers neighbors and fellow hunting education instructors. When it comes to safety sometimes we have to rely on those because issues are not uniformly reported or published. The merits of the case dictate how long it takes before it is even reported, sometimes many years.

Hunting is a relatively safe sport so I am not dissing that in general. Compared to football which has 3,200 serious injuries and death per 100,000 participants annually, it rarely gets into the double digits. Of the dozen or so cases most often its a self-inflicted injury. Archery accidents while hunting (mistaking for game) are super rare. I have only head of a handful in my whole life time.

Jaquomo and others who use the fanning technique I wish you the best and hope you don't encounter the foolish hunters who don't identify the target before shooting. I will take your points into account when I discuss hunter safety at future course I teach.

06-Apr-16
Turkey hunting has risk and fanning techniques carry similar risk to other more popular techniques

I hunt public land with Cargo Pants while some Private Land I need a Wheelbarrow

06-Apr-16
Tonybear, unfortunately you haven't provided any testimonials as to the documented danger of dynamic decoying, whether for turkeys or big game. However, there are reams of evidence to indicate the way you hunt is dangerous.

When I was a kid, we were still being told that playing with our weenies would cause blindness. I wear glasses now but can still see pretty well with them. So from that we might conclude that I just got lucky?

BTW, I'm not fanning because I'm hunting thick woods now. I'm hunting the super-dangerous way, calling with decoys. I'm terrified.

06-Apr-16
Tony, the soccer mom-orange slice-juice box analogy is directed toward the general pussification of today's youth by overprotective parents. It's a wonder any of us in my 60+ age generation even survived.

Next we'll have "hunting helmets" required in case somebody falls down or runs into a tree.

06-Apr-16
Let me guess, Jaq...you had to start wearing glasses after you'd been married about five years, right?

Amazing how often that happens to guys who had perfect eyes when they were dating and engaged... :-)

...and the PC terminology is wussification.

Years ago a box call got hammered by the safety patrol when they put, gasp, blue chalk on the under-lids of box calls. It was predicted hundreds would get shot. When other hunters mistook the blue for a gobbler's head.

06-Apr-16
Lol, writer, good one!

And I am deliberately anti-PC as a lifestyle, ever since I quit the corporate world at 60.

:)

06-Apr-16
Anyone ever notice that when someone says "This is not meant to offend", that is exactly what they intend to do!

06-Apr-16
Right on Brotsky "not meant to offend" but it certainly does... I just started using this technique last year, so I don't have a ton of experience with it yet and I hunt public and private land. First, I can honestly say I got hooked right away because on the very first time I started using this technique I came home with a 20 lb gobbler and one of the best memories of a turkey hunt in many many years. It was that kind of exciting!! Ghostbird I am cut from the same cloth as you, in that I don't shoot birds that I don't call in. I like them talking and love sick. I don't stalk or ambush turkeys on their way to a field or a roost site. I could care less if someone else does it, its just not for me. But I don't understand how you could say this is not sporting or even close to that type of hunting. This is absolutely calling and challenging turkeys on their own turf. Maybe you haven't seen one of these hunts go down from start to finish, but I have never seen a hunter crawl all the way to where the bird is standing/strutting to get a shot. At some point in the crawl that bird becomes unglued with rage and charges in to the hunter; many times on a dead run gobbling as they close the distance. The last one I fanned in last year ran full tilt to me from over 100 yards. I love this technique and I think it is way safer than any ambush style turkey hunt because, for the most part it is done in the wide open. It has now become part of my hunting strategy for sure. In fact I just purchased a new pair of knee pads just for "the crawl". Good luck guys!

06-Apr-16
"This is not meant to offend"... Look for this as my thread title on my semi-live whitetail hunt this fall.

To the OP... ^^ that is not meant to offend. :)

06-Apr-16
@Brotsky

If people get offended when their style of hunting is questioned for safety issues and a discussion ensues, well, not really my problem. The intent was to discuss the safety of the tactic and whether or not it is a good idea to go against years and years of safety advice from safety professionals and just do our own thing because, gee, no one has been hurt doing it. I mean, it isn't on the internet so surely it cannot have ever happened. Right?

Was my intent to offend? No it wasn't. And I am offended that you stated it was.

06-Apr-16
"And I am offended that you stated it was."

Sorry, I should have said "this is not meant to offend" before my post!

The part where you offended a bunch of bowsiters is the following statements in your posts:

"Are they that dumb...."

"A Darwinian tool for sure..."

"..instances of ignorance.."

But you didn't mean to offend so that makes it okay!

06-Apr-16

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
So, for the safety patrol - this guy is just a few yards in front of my brushed in blind. How is this any safer than a hunter in full view behind a fan? What should I do? Chase him away? He's a jake and the gobbler is not far behind. Should I screw up my hunt, and not enjoy taking pictures because some moron MIGHT be lurking in the shadows with a shotgun?

Jaquomo. Life just isn't fair. You were endanger of going blind as a kid, and now you're cautioned about the possibility of the same thing if you suffer from LDS (limp dick syndrome) if you take the little blue pills.

06-Apr-16
If your intent was to discuss the safety of the tactic, then you got what you wanted. There us absolutely no evidence that its any less safe than any other style of turkey hunting. In fact, it may be safer based on lack of such evidence.

Its ironic that you would complain about the internet on the internet. LOL. I just finished reading the Denver Post on the "internet" and will read the Wall Street Journal this afternoon. Newsflash - actual "news" and events are instantly available at our fingertips. Two bighorn sheep were found poached a couple days ago, and within hours it was reported on the "internet" via credible news sources. If somebody got shot fanning, a report would be available with the push of a button.

You Safety Marshals need to let this one go, and focus on real, documented dangers instead of worrying about the bogeyman. I'm going to strap on my camo hunting helmet, safety goggles and kevlar underpants and hang an orange sheet in the tree above my head, and go back to hunting.

06-Apr-16
JFP...I kind of work with words for a living, have for 35 years...and you most certainly wrote some things that could only be seen as offensive. A time or 200 or 2000 I've had some of the best editors in the nation say, "you can't write that, it's obviously offensive...and I had to make some changes.

It's kind of like you're saying, "look, I don't mean to offend you, d**khead, but you need to pull your head out of your azz, and do things exactly as I do, and listen to who I think are experts, but you're probably too f*&*ing stupid to understand them, anyway."

I'm pretty good at being a jerk sometimes, well, a lot of times...I recognize insulting language. :-)

06-Apr-16
@writer

To be honest with you writer, when I started the thread, I had absolutely no idea anyone on this board actually used this tactic. Seriously. I assumed, wrongly it appears, that others would see this method as,well, let's see here, I need to pick a non offensive word, how about, ill-advised, as I do. My bad all around I guess.

06-Apr-16
I saw this on TV a couple times. I really enjoy SG hunting turkey's, so maybe I'm not the best guy to comment... But every time I saw it it seemed crazy. Then again, I'm from MA, where private land can be hunted on by anyone unless legally posted... So even if I'm on legal land, I have no idea who's on the other side of the hill (unless it's posted). Due to this, my favorite turkey hunting scenarios involve really big trees or rocks behind me :)

If you knew you had a spot to your self (truly private), it seems no different than a similar tactic for prong horn, or seeing guys hunt sitka deer with "deer hats" on.

06-Apr-16
Jaquomo x2. The pussification of America. Safety folks have to keep coming up with stuff you can't do to justify their own existence.

I see grown men who can't ride a bicycle a city block without a helmet.

I feel sorry for the kids coming up in this culture. Strap that helmet on when you get out of bed. Take it off when you get back in. No fun allowed. Too dangerous. Oh, and participation trophies for all.

I've had enough.

I'm gonna go find some rugrats, give them bb guns and teach them how to shoot at each other. Two pump limit of course. Until you get shot, then all bets are off. No helmets allowed.

07-Apr-16
This is a personal favorite tactic of mine to use and a very effective one. Maybe not anymore than sitting and calling but not any less either. Unless in states where center fire rifles are allowed I don't see the added danger. Generally when crawling behind the decoy the birds are in range in a couple minutes sometimes even seconds in some cases. So the amount of time for a poacher to spot your decoy and decide to shoot it with you behind it is very short. Especially when compared to setting behind a decoy all morning where someone can drive by and shoot without seeing you in the brush or a big camouflaged human waddling (very gracefully I'm sure!) right behind that decoy. There's risk in all types of hunting and methods so it really comes down to what method brings the most enjoyment to you. For me that's sitting right behind a decoy with a red head running right up to it!

07-Apr-16
Thanks everyone for playing. I am sorry I ruffled some feathers..pun... as I just did not know this method was used so much or has been around for so long. I read plenty of reasons why it isn't any more dangerous than other types of hunting and I may be coming around to seeing it that way. I doubt I will ever do it, but I do understand now why some chose to. Again, thanks to everyone for the lively debate and keeping it quite civil.

JFP

07-Apr-16
Pat...don't forget the safety glasses because, "you could put somebody's eye out with that thing!"

07-Apr-16
Good thing turkey hunting starts soon in my area people are still too worked up in debates and being insulting.

Here is a free one, "Don't take a stool softner and a sleeping aid at the same time." Yeah this one was shared at a safety convention with hundreds of attendees, so we have a sense of humor.

For those of you who think the safety profession is "pussifing" America, well bite me! If I save lives, allow people to enjoy their activity of choice a lot longer due to taking some precautions such as helmets, fall protection, nut cups, a properly set-up gun or archery range and staying off the phone, or not texting while driving-I can sleep a night. Reading loss files and assisting with death claims isn't fun but damn, I feel it in my core I have to do something to try and investigate, debate and find a solution, if possible. Apparently, my clients and colleagues appreciate it because I have won some significant awards for doing so, one of which helped me pay for most the cost of the bow I am now shooting.

I'd better go now since its snowing again and Al Gore the inventor of the internet before Abraham Lincoln reviewed it is talking Global warming.We will all have to take the electric train to our hunting spot as we will soon run out of oil.. These must be true cause its on the internet!!!

08-Apr-16
Well I just read another post on another web site about a turkey hunter in Florida that got shot in the face last week ! Of course all on the web site jumped on the he must of been fanning because that is so dangerous and he got shot in the face ! Well more facts just came out and guess what ? He was sitting against a tree no decoy and calling when another hunter stalked up and shot him when he turned his head ! Well safety dudes what are you going to do about this unsafe activity if fanning is so danged dangerous and yet there hasn't been any cases that I am aware of but everyone is jumping all over it as being unsafe. I was a firefighter until I retired after 35 years and trust me going into burning buildings ain't safe but you can do things to mitigate the danger I was also a Fire Department Incident Safety Officer for 8 years and trust me if you think turkey hunting is dangerous you need to come onto a working fire scene at 4 am and try to make that workplace safe while still performing a vital duty ! Oh I never got any awards for doing that job though !!

08-Apr-16
Congrats, bighurt. The NE wind has been awful. We had 50 mph yesterday where I was hunting.

Glad you and Aaron survived the deathtrap that is "fanning". I'm sure you wore orange suits, tactical vests, helmets and shatterproof goggles!

08-Apr-16
Tonybear, I'm all for reaasonable precautions too. Wearing a helmet while riding a bike in and out of my hunting spot last year likely saved me from serious brain injury, or worse.

Where credibility suffers is when safety folk try to make something appear to be overly "dangerous" when there is no evidence that it actually is any riskier than any other common practice.

Texting while driving? Check. BB gun war? Check. Drinking and driving? Millions of checks. Playing dodgeball in middle school? Ummm... Not so much.

Back to my "going blind" analogy.

08-Apr-16
Sorry for the double post. I'm driving 80 mph I'm a 50 mph crosswind with a beer in one hand, trying to do Bowsite with the other hand.

08-Apr-16
Jaq...oh, that must have been you I passed while trying to set all the radio features in my new truck...

TBM...who is Aaron?

08-Apr-16
Jaq, pics.........or it didn't happen.............

Actually, I just heard that someone had orange slices.......?

01-May-16
I've learned much from this thread. This is a tactic I've never employed. I'm going to show this to my grandson. I bet he will want us to try this. Sure beats sitting in a boring blind.

02-May-16
I have been reading this thread since it started and have been debating if I should post. I guess I have been "fanning" (never called it that myself) for a long time without realizing it would be considered so controversial.

I hunt a couple of private spots that are very remote where I am the only turkey hunter around. There aren't very many total birds around and I have used this technique quite a bit in the open sandhill pastures adjacent to the timber I hunt in these spots. I just did it this afternoon as the turkeys were crossing a pasture and ignoring my calls. I crawled to a low spot, put the strutter decoy at the top of a rise as I rotated it a couple of times, spotted a few jakes starting to run in from 125 yards away, retreated lower, grabbed my recurve and got ready. The jakes ran to about 3 feet from the decoy, saw me about 8 feet behind and below the decoy, and took off the other way before I could get a shot. It was a very cool encounter.

I sort of accidentally stumbled across this method all the way back in 2006 and wrote about it on a Nebraska Hunting Forum the day it happened. Here is the link to that exhilarating and humorous hunt that also involved my then 13-year-old son: First Experience Story Link

I kept that experience in the back of my mind, but never really employed it on purpose until two years later. That time I was using the hen decoy I had converted to a strutter. (I called it Janet Reno since it was a hen that looked like a tom.) The homemade decoy was actually pretty good for this technique since it was very light. On the same Nebraska Forum, I wrote about that 2008 successful "fanning" hunt. Here is the link: 2008 Fanning Success Story Link

Do I think this method could be dangerous? Yes, of course, in some situations and in my 2008 write up I even made a bit of a warning disclaimer comment due to that. I have only done it in wide open fields and would never do it in timber. Do I think it can be done safely in some locations and scenarios? Without a doubt I believe so. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it. I don't employ this method a lot--maybe twice a season when there are birds in an open field that are being stubborn and the conditions allow for it to possibly be effective. It can be quite a rush! I have pulled in birds almost every time, but I have only been successful in making a bowkill a couple of times since it is tough to get to full draw undetected in that situation. I am sure I would have killed a bird or two every single time if I hunted with a shotgun.

I think some people have a different vision in their minds of how these hunts go down from what is reality. If you were there with me and knew the area where I have done this method, you would realize that it was actually safer than hunting on heavily timbered, highly pressured public land while hiding and calling with decoys nearby. I have no doubts about that.

02-May-16
Hey All,

I may sound like a goody two shoes here, but can we all just get along??? I hate seeing hunters go after each other. I may hunt another way than you wether it is a gun, using dogs, using bait or some other tactic. I don't do any of these things ( except use a gun sometimes ), but I have respect for those who do. If you are hunting legally , I see no issues. I want to respect all of my hunting brothers! I hope you all do the same! I love this site and reading most posts, I try to ignore when things get slanderous and mean. I let my daughter read and use this site. I would hate for her to get the wrong idea of how we treat each other. I have a bigger problem with people like the person who stole my blind and chair this week , so when I took my daughter out to hunt, we had no blind to sit in..... Just my two cents..... Love and respect to all hunters and their traditions!

Hitman

02-May-16
The most dangerous part of going hunting using this is tactic is driving to and from the place you're hunting.

04-May-16
I'm not sure about anyone else's areas... in Ontario I hunt two farms..we share our season with shot gunners which is fine... one farm I hunt is full of birds..and the issue is guys will it seems go to any length to get a bird. To fill tags at any cost. I've had several walk right into my set ups gun raised and ready to shoot. Not a great feeling when your 12 year old is out with you never mind alone. I've seen them bust the roosts at first light...chase them to other hunters it goes on and on

My point is trying to fan technique on that place..private property which is posted and guys that could care less about safety and land ownership/trespassing will get you killed. What happened to sitting and calling?...imho it's harder to call them in than fan..run and gun etc...im lot coming down on people's rights to hunt...just making a point..i wouldn't try it where I hunt turkeys.

• Sitka Gear