Redclub 31-Mar-16
Dikndirt 31-Mar-16
Nesser 31-Mar-16
JSC1980 31-Mar-16
cnelk 31-Mar-16
JKM 14-Aug-17
Charlie Rehor 14-Aug-17
31-Mar-16
Hi fellow Bowsiters! I have been on bowsite for many years, but mainly just enjoy reading the posts as I do not post or comment too often. I am need of help. I was curious if anyone has hunted Area 61 for elk recently, bow or rifle. I have searched the past threads, but cannot find too much info that is not several years old. This area takes about 15 points to draw as a resident and I'd like to not burn so many points for a disappointing hunt if it isn't worth it. Thanks for any and all help - it is greatly appreciated!!!

31-Mar-16
How many points do you have? Whats a disappointing hunt to you? Where have you been hunting archery elk in colorado that would be give you the idea that 61 would disappointing on a rut archery elk hunt? There are only a few other units in colorado that may better 61 good luck.

31-Mar-16
Casper, I have 15 points. Reading the past posts, it seemed the unit was overrun with cattle and there were not many bulls other than raghorns. I absolutely love September and being in the woods. I'm not looking for a monster, though that wouldn't hurt, but an opportunity at a respectable bull if I work hard and do my part.

31-Mar-16
My take from hunting it a few years ago is that it's an excellent hunt for lots of action and a good population of 280"+ bulls. I never saw a really big bull (350"+) but we hunted easy access spots and never laid eyes on a bunch of the bulls we were near. Big ones are taken there, but it's not like the NW units.

We had nights near the end of season where there was constant bugling from dusk till dawn and other nights that we only heard a handful. The first two weeks were fairly quiet. There is a lot of human activity in the unit and a lot of cattle. Both can screw up a specific encounter but neither seem to push the elk out.

I would burn my points there again if I had them. I had 12 and was tired of skipping some other limited hunts while I waited for a NW unit where the points kept creeping up.

31-Mar-16
Hunted area 61 last year during archery season and have tried to buy landowner tag to hunt again. Killed a 325 bull on day three. Great area in my opinion.

31-Mar-16
Sure there is some cattle, but they easy to get away from.

Its a great unit. You could have drawn it 2-3 years ago if you wanted. But you will draw for sure with 15 PP.

I hunted it in 2012. Killed my bull on morning 3. Fun hunt.

photo DSC04167.jpg

31-Mar-16
Thanks for all of the info, that is very helpful!!! Either of the those bulls would be definite shooters for me.

31-Mar-16
Sweet bull, Brad.

31-Mar-16
I Have been lucky enough to hunt 61 for elk 3 of last 4 years. Myself my son and friend have drawn archery tags. While the hunts have been action packed I have yet to lay eyes on a truly great bull. cnelk that is a big bull for the unit in my opinion. I would have been elated to take a bull of that size. Lots of 275 - 300 inch type bulls. I settled on a 300" 6x6 and my son took a bull of about the same size although he encountered a much better bull at last light on second day.[325 estimated] that bull was likely killed by muzzy hunter the next morning. I would love to hunt the unit again but unless I pony up 5k to buy a tag it wont happen. It took 18 nr points to draw for me 2 years ago. I would apply for 61 if I was in your shoes and go hunt with reasonable expectations. You should have a great time.

31-Mar-16

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Here's my 61 bull. I had plans of holding out but he gave me a 9 yard shot. I figured it was a sign.

31-Mar-16

This bull hung out wallowing, raking trees, drinking and bugling for about 10 minutes while I was 30 yards back in the aspens working on my dead bull the morning after I shot him.

31-Mar-16
Do it, you will have a blast!!!

31-Mar-16
I hunted unit 61 when it took 2NR points for 1st rifle season. Its a great area,easy to hunt but lots of cattle.They rotate grazing every 3 years,anyway that's what a Ranger told me. AS I said 20 years ago but cannot go again to old and poor to get a tag

31-Mar-16
Glunt I think I know exactly where that photo was taken!!

31-Mar-16
61 is a boatload of fun....I hunted in 2012 also and had a similar experience to Glunt. While tracking my bull after a marginal hit I had multiple other nice bulls in easy bow range and a raging bugler within 150 yds the entire time I field dressed. Never saw anything huge but getting on multiple bulls every day never gets old.

31-Mar-16
Thanks for all the help!!! I have talked to numerous people today and it sounds like a blast. Hopefully this fall I will have a story for everyone. Thanks again - I really appreciate it!!!

31-Mar-16
JSC1980

You have a PM

14-Aug-17
I have a bow tag in 61 this year. I am trying to gather as much information about the area as possible. Any insight/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

14-Aug-17
Have a great hunt! Seems it's just having the patience to wait for your desired quarry. Hunt every day! C

• Sitka Gear