Mad_Angler 07-Apr-16
Mad_Angler 07-Apr-16
Timbrhuntr 07-Apr-16
Mad_Angler 07-Apr-16
Mad_Angler 07-Apr-16
Mad_Angler 08-Apr-16
03-Apr-16
8:43 PM LIVE from Ks*
The season has finally arrived. This will be a diary of sorts to describe my kansas turkey hunt. The season opens on Monday. Archery only for about 10 days.

I spent the weekend seeing deer stands and camping. I heard a lot of gobbles. The birds weren't on my land but it was still great to hear then. I am really fired up now.

I moved to public land this afternoon. I went to roost some birds and found some about where i expected.

Now, I'm relaxing with a beer and getting my stuff organized.

04-Apr-16
Heading to KS this week. What part of state youo in?

04-Apr-16
5:41 AM LIVE from Ks*
eat, I'm in the south central part of the state.

04-Apr-16
5:43 AM LIVE from Ks*
I'm in my blind and all set up. I came early and set up in the middle of the night. I napped a little in my blind and now I'm back up and ready to go.

I don't think i have roostted birds o on my field. So i don't expect to see themuntil about 730 or8

04-Apr-16
Getter Done, good luck.

04-Apr-16
6:38 AM LIVE from Ks*
The morning is waking up. Birds are chirping everywhere. I can hear a fired up gobbler about 150 yards behind me.

I let out a few tree yelps.

It got a bit lighter and i gave a fly down sequence. He's still gobbling in the tree.

04-Apr-16
7:03 AM LIVE from Ks*
I've been giving a series of yelps about every 5 minutes.

A gobbler responded to my last set. He seemed like he was a little closer. ..

04-Apr-16
Yeaaassss!! Gettm!

04-Apr-16
8:15 AM LIVE from Ks*
I was startled by a gobble. ..

A bird had entered my field about 80 yards from me and gobbled. But then, it just sorta stood there. Eventually, i noticed that it was 2 Jakes. They started feeding away from me.

I gave a series of yelps but they were not interested.

About 5 minutes later, they start heading my direction.

They get to the decoys and start puffing, spitting, and drumming. It was pretty cool at 8 yards.

I really wanted to try the bullhead and take off one of their heads. But it is just opening morning

04-Apr-16
8:18 AM LIVE from Ks*

Mad_Angler's MOBILE embedded Photo

Picture

04-Apr-16
8:56 AM LIVE from Ks*
Two more turkey's came out. I thought it was the Jakes. But these were two hens. They casually fed across my field.

Then, i was texting home and heard grass rustling next to my blind. I look over to see a red head about 5 yards from me.

It turned out to be two different Jakes. They just casually fed away

04-Apr-16
Nice setup. I am sitting in my blind with a Magnus Black Hornet ready to greet a turkey.

04-Apr-16
Won't be out today.

Checked a spot yesterday afternoon and had toms well scattered, on only about 100 acres. One, looked like a three-year-old, was doing what the Cali-guys call a "death gobble,"...he was obviously looking for love, or a broadhead.

Bow is ready, birds are ready...danged work keeps getting in the way, and turkey hunting is actually part of my work! :-)

Get 'em, Mad, glad to hear there's a good crop of jakes.

04-Apr-16
10:46 AM LIVE from Ks*
I decided to check out another field. I grabbed my heads up decoy and left. I saw two hems, a big room, and two Jakes on the other side of a field. Maybe 200 yards away.

I flashed the heads up and they all ran into the woods. What did i do wrong?

Im packingup and heading to the truck

04-Apr-16
probably not doing anything wrong but dealing with submissive birds. Talked to some buddies that have fanned in more birds than anyone I know and the birds aren't charging for them today either.

04-Apr-16
We had almost no gobbling after fly-down yesterday, but plenty of strutting.

04-Apr-16
2:32 PM LIVE from Ks*

I'm back out. Really, im relaxing reading a book. I happen to be in the woods though.

I'm trying a natural setup with my heads up decoy. In theory, i could draw while the gobbler goes behind the cedar tree.

04-Apr-16
3:32 PM LIVE from Ks*
I think I'm done for the day. .. more tomorrow

04-Apr-16
Man, that's an early take-out.

04-Apr-16
4:33 PM LIVE from Ks*
Sorry.

I might go back out to roost another spot

04-Apr-16
6:45 PM LIVE from Ks*
Ok. writer shamed me. I went back out to roost birds. I wanted to check some fields from years ago. Good thing i checked. The fields are overgrown and not as cool as i remember. And they are a super hump back. At least i did it scouting rather than humping my blind in the dark.

04-Apr-16
You're welcome.

Tomorrow sounds like an ideal day. The birds won't stay too long on the limb in the morning because they might get blown to another state.

05-Apr-16
6:04 AM LIVE from Ks*
I'm back in the bound. I'm sorta close to the roosted bird from last night. I also saw birds here the first night and yesterday walking out.

But i feel like a wimp. I'm only about 400 yards from the parking lot. I would never do this during gun season but i haven't seen a single hunter in the woods. I have seen a few trucks parked but that is it.

Here goes. ..

05-Apr-16
6:16 AM LIVE from Ks*
Blind not bound

05-Apr-16
6:30 AM LIVE from Ks*
Good gobbling. At least 3 birds. ..

I let out a light tree yelps and one answered

05-Apr-16
Good luck. Make it happen!

05-Apr-16
6:58 AM LIVE from Ks*

Hopefully, a tom like my dsd as much as i do

05-Apr-16
7:00 AM LIVE from Ks*
No more gobbling. Must have flew down. Hopefully one is heading my way

05-Apr-16
good luck today is your day

05-Apr-16
8:20 AM LIVE from Ks*
There is still a lot of gobbling in three directions. Even at 815. I was thinking about gaming the heads up decoy and going after one. But i can't pick one.

Should i stay or should i go after then?

05-Apr-16
8:22 AM LIVE from Ks*
Also, thanks again to writer. This time for the note about the wind. When i set the blind up this morning, i staked it down even though it was perfectly calm. Now, the wind is picking up and I'm glad that it is staked down

05-Apr-16
Good luck

i'll be up there tomorrow afternoon.

05-Apr-16
Looking like heavy winds all week, except maybe on Friday.

Don't worry about it, just hunt. We've killed a lot of birds when the treetops have been dancing and clashing.

05-Apr-16
10:36 AM LIVE from Ks*
I'm going to grab my dsd and heads up and go looming for then. ..

05-Apr-16
11:53 AM LIVE from Ks*
I started walking and calling. I got to the edge of a field. I called. A gobbler answered me about 300 yards away.

I was trying to figure out what to do. 3 Jakes and a tom walk out about 400 yards away. They are walking towards me.

05-Apr-16
11:55 AM LIVE from Ks*
I waited until they were about 150 yards away and then i crawled to the field edge and flashed the heads up.

The tom started to strut and the Jakes let our little jake gobbles. And they were really coming now. ..

05-Apr-16
11:57 AM LIVE from Ks*
They got to about 15 yards and started getting nervous.

I drew and shot at the tom.

I don't know if i hit him. I sounded like a hollow thump. But my arrow disappeared. He ran about 150 yards. He ran at the same pace and path as the Jakes.

My orange fletched arrow was definitely not hanging out his side.

05-Apr-16
11:59 AM LIVE from Ks*
Now, I've been waddling and crawling for about 30 minutes. I can't find any blood or feathers near where he was standing.

I still can't find my arrow.

And u can't find any blood along the path he ran.

I'll keep looking. ..

05-Apr-16
Good luck! Hopefully you find a dead bird or a clean arrow!

05-Apr-16
Been there, done that.

Hope it goes well.

05-Apr-16
Good luck MA !

05-Apr-16
I gave it another hour. I can't find my arrow, any feathers, or any blood.

And, he ran perfectly for 150 yards. Can they do that after a good hit?

Broadhead was a Rage. Shoulda used my Bullhead

05-Apr-16
Mad, not after a good hit. They sure can if you hit them badly though. My guess is a clean miss if there were no feathers. Any kind of contact leaves feathers. Probably a low miss and the arrow burrowed on you.

05-Apr-16
1:36 PM LIVE from Ks*
Brotsky, that is exactly what i was thinking. I've lost enough arrows in my grassy backyard to know that they can be hard to find.

05-Apr-16
X2 Brotsky.

If it's hit well, you'll easily be able to tell. Even poorly they show a reaction.

Sorry about the $25 arrow and broadhead.

...but at least you're not feeling like you wasted money on your Heads-Up! :-)

05-Apr-16
Hope you have stakes as big as fence posts for this wind!!!

05-Apr-16
5:33 PM LIVE from Ks*
I'm in a little valley. It is not too bad.

And i went bad to my buddies land near Harper. The drive over was pretty crazy.

05-Apr-16
5:39 PM LIVE from Ks*
A hen just came through.

She got face to face with the dsd upright hen.

Now she's feeding around the decoys. A nice live decoy.

05-Apr-16
7:19 PM LIVE from Ks*
It is still VERY windy. But not too bad in my valley.

But it was also very hot. Too hot for this guy from wisconsin. I've been sitting in the bound without my sorry on. It is finally getting cool enough to put it back on.

05-Apr-16
Everybody knows you should always keep your sorry on in the bound...c'mon man.

05-Apr-16
8:04 PM LIVE from Ks*
Calling it a night. I think I'll leave the blind set up for tomorrow.

And it is a100 yard walk to camp. That is a nice change.

06-Apr-16
7:22 AM LIVE from Ks*
sitO, i didn't understand your post until i went back and reread mine. Dang autocorrect.

Yesterday, i took my shirt off. I don't think i have ever taken my sorry off, at least not in a turkey blind.

06-Apr-16
7:27 AM LIVE from Ks*
I'm back in the same setup as yesterday. It was super nice to walk 100 yards from camp without carrying decoys or the blind. I still seem to still have a crap to carry: backpack, coffee, breakfast, bow, heads up. ..

I heard one gobble this morning before fly down and then one hen on the ground later.

I'm on a grassy little batch next to creek. I saw a flock come through here Saturday morning. I also saw two Jakes Saturday evening. And there are a lot of tracks.

The weather is also much better than expected. Slight breeze, clear, nice temperature

06-Apr-16
Get em!

06-Apr-16
10:13 AM LIVE from Ks*
I just had a Coyote cone through. He got about 5 feet from one of the decoys and took off.

No shot but pretty cool.

06-Apr-16
10:24 AM LIVE from Ks*
Giving up ing the bound for a bit. Going to run and gun with heads up and dsd jake.

06-Apr-16
10:24 AM LIVE from Ks*
Giving up the blind for a bit. Going to run and gun with heads up and dsd jake.

06-Apr-16
Good luck Mad! Go get 'em!

06-Apr-16
I could be wrong as I don't really know the area that you are hunting but when I was hunting in Kansas I seemed to have good luck sitting behind the decoys between 1030 and 1. I noticed that Kansas toms travelled a lot and had many come walking into my set up at those times !

06-Apr-16
1:11 PM LIVE from Ks*
Timber, good idea. I have also had success but i just needed to walk.

And this is where i hunt deer. I really wanted to see if I could learn anything. I did find a large concentration of big rubs. That was good to know. I wasn't expecting a buck bedroom right there.

I also checked two trail cameras that i placed on Sunday. One already captured a few deer.

06-Apr-16
1:16 PM LIVE from Ks*
But back to the topic at hand. .

I walked and called about every 100 yards. I covered most of the 160 acres. I did not see or hear any turkeys.

But the wind in back up to 20-30 mph. I don't know if i could have heard them.

Im sitting in this spot until dark.

I found another spot for tomorrow morning. I think I'll put out my full strut Pretty Boy decoy. I think they might be able to see it from their roost trees.

06-Apr-16
Patience and a good book has helped me kill a bunch of birds in KS.

Put out decoys and stay put! Call a bit here and there.

Good luck.

06-Apr-16
Great idea, Nick, so wise for such a young man....! :-)

06-Apr-16
8:36 PM LIVE from Ks*
So. .. about 6,the wind dies down. I think i hear a gobble. I call and it is definitely a gobble.

I keep calling, they keep gobbling; single, double, and quadruple gobbles.

They walk right though my camp about 100 yards from me. They must have walked within 5 feet of my tent.

They keep coming. Eventually, i see that it is two nice toms. They're coming right to me.

At about 25 yards, they hang up and start going sideways. I thought they were going to leave. But them, they dropped into a gully. They would pop up at about 15 yards

06-Apr-16
8:40 PM LIVE from Ks*
They did pop up but not where i expected. I didn't have a window open in that direction.

They were sitting a little, spitting, and drumming and puffing. They were about 5 yards away from the DSD jake but they were not going any closer.

They kept skirting to the side and eventually were leaving.

They were about 20 yards away. I opened a new window but i had to shoot through the screen.

I switched out the bullhead for a Rage. I took my time and hit the lead bird. It looked like a good shot but they both just jumped about 10 yards and started waddling.

06-Apr-16
8:40 PM LIVE from Ks*
Walking

06-Apr-16
8:42 PM LIVE from Ks*
I got it out of the blind. They were about 50 yards away just walking and feeding.

They started walking faster when they saw me. They eventually ran about 200 yards and left my property.

06-Apr-16
8:44 PM LIVE from Ks*
I went back to the shot area and there were feathers. One bigger feather and a smaller one looked sorta like tail feathers.

So, i think i just grazed him towards the tail.

Hunting turkey with a bow is way harder that with a shotgun. .

07-Apr-16
Third times a charm, Mad...maybe you'll get a chance to use the Bullhead.

Who knows, you might be able to get back on the same pair in the morning.

Keep us posted.

How long are you staying?

07-Apr-16
6:10 AM LIVE from Ks*
Thanks writer. I think I'm leaving today. We are celebrating my wife's 50th birthday this weekend. I think i should be home for that.

Right now, im at up with my original Pretty Boy full strut decoy. I have not used it in years but i wanted a big decoy. The tom is roosted on my neighbors land. I roosted him last night. I think he will be able to see the pretty boy when he wakes up. ..

07-Apr-16
8:39 AM LIVE from Ks*
The birds came out from another Direction. They never saw that decoys. I tried to follow them with the heads up decoy. But they pulled it and ran away

07-Apr-16
The first year I hunted turkeys with a bow in Kansas I had similiar results lots of fun but no bird. The second year I got both and could have shot 3 more funny how that goes.

07-Apr-16
8:31 PM LIVE from Ks*
Timber, i agree. Turkey hunting is very hard for days and then one just begs you to kill it.

07-Apr-16
8:33 PM LIVE from Ks*
I just got home. Put in an audible Tom Clancy book and the 12 hour drive just flew by. I only stopped once. .

I had a great time. It was a quick fun trip.

08-Apr-16
And... On Thursday, I found the arrow from Wednesday night. There just a few little feathers on the broadhead. No blood on the broadhead or arrow. The broadhead was a Rage with lots of nooks and crannies. So the complete lack of blood on it tells me that I just nicked the bird.

• Sitka Gear