'Ike' (Phone) 06-Apr-16
Whip 06-Apr-16
HUNT MAN 06-Apr-16
SBH 07-Apr-16
Cazador 07-Apr-16
Sage of the Sage2 08-Apr-16
Ziek 08-Apr-16
06-Apr-16
Hey guys, do you use any certain methods when setting up your decoys? For example, putting the jake behind the hen, or certain postures to try and get the Toms to come in and come in where you want them? Facing the blind or facing away? Stuff like that, or does it really matter? Thanks

06-Apr-16

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Kind of a lil of each you already described...I have my Jake standing behind or close to my upright hen, which I just lay on the ground as a breeder...

This year, they really like my lead hen for some reason, glad I picked her up...7 to 15 yards out is my range pattern for placement...

06-Apr-16

Whip's embedded Photo
Whip's embedded Photo
Jake behind the breeder set within 5-7 yards of the blind and facing me. Upright hen off to the side a bit as if she's watching the show.

06-Apr-16

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I put the jake over the hen also with the upright hen off to the side 2-3 yards away. I like the jake at 8 yards or so. Hunt

07-Apr-16
Thanks guys.

07-Apr-16
Far from a turkey guru be me, but a Jake behind a hen seems to work. I don't think it matters which way they are pointed as every bird I've seen that comes in circles the decoy pecks it etc etc. Plenty of options for a shot.

08-Apr-16
I generally just use 2 hens. I also use a pop up blind. I want the darn turkey's close for bowhunting, so I set up one hen about 15yds out and the other about 10.

08-Apr-16

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Decoys need not be any farther than 10 yards out. I just set this up yesterday for opening morning tomorrow. The jake is about 7 - 8 yards from the blind, the farthest hen about 10. They could even be closer, but 10 yard shots seem about ideal for us. (Obviously I didn't leave the decoys out, just the stakes). This is my usually set up in this area, that has worked very well the last few years. Both my wife and I generally kill a bird each within a couple of sits.

• Sitka Gear